Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

17 hours ago, Ham said:

Pretty sure top 5 qualifies next season.  

Still not straight forward.

17 hours ago, RDCW said:

Well I just renewed my season tickets, which probably represents, in the words of my favourite harmless drudge, " the triumph of hope over experience," but I am hopeful that our new marriage with Pochettino will be worth the emotional and financial investment 😆

Certainly worth it for the first half dozen games if only to see what sort of job the new manager has done over the summer. Thereafter whether  you seem it a blessing or a curse is presently up in the air. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

…. Oh, it’ll be a mixed blessing, of that you can be sure. As my dearly beloved reminds me each year, with exasperation writ large all over her face, I’m nuts and she’ll have to tolerate yet another year of moaning interspersed with short bursts of exuberat ion. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

A couple of months would be my guess. Unless of course we're beating all and sundry in that time😇

There is a theory in the betting world - you judge a team on their last six games.

It seems logical to me.

22 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

A couple of months would be my guess. Unless of course we're beating all and sundry in that time😇

At least you answer Michael.The Stat's people have no answer because they have no clue.

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I would have posted this in the "who should be the next manager" thread, but that's locked now.

Regarding Julien Naglesmann - who at one time was favourite to succeed Potter, and was being talked of in glowing terms not just by the media but many on here - I wonder what it is about him that led Bayern to sack him, not agree a deal with Chelsea, not agree a deal with Spurs, and now not agree a deal with PSG?

I realise that none of the owners of these clubs are likely to be "easy" to get along with, but, let's face it, which owners are? Has he bought into his own mythology a little too much?  Have we dodged a bullet?

I was thinking exactly the same. For whatever the reason is, it does feel like we’ve dodged a bullet as clearly something isn’t quite right either with his expectations, his demands or the control he expects to have over certain things.

Based on nothing but the fact he’s been sacked and then turned down a few times, he seems like a very difficult guy to get along with.

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I was thinking exactly the same. For whatever the reason is, it does feel like we’ve dodged a bullet as clearly something isn’t quite right either with his expectations, his demands or the control he expects to have over certain things.

Based on nothing but the fact he’s been sacked and then turned down a few times, he seems like a very difficult guy to get along with.

He gives off a rather arrogant demeanour tbf.

I also wonder just how much of it has centred around the fact Bayern still have him under contract and any side who does want to hire him will need to agree a fee with them first. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

He gives off a rather arrogant demeanour tbf.

I also wonder just how much of it has centred around the fact Bayern still have him under contract and any side who does want to hire him will need to agree a fee with them first. 

I'd forgotten he's on "gardening leave". However, notwithstanding that, do you really think that PSG, for example, couldn't afford to buy him out of his contract if he absolutely was" the one"?  It might have put off Daniel Levy, but there's clearly a potential clash of personalities going on here, with the common denominator being Naglesmann himself.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'd forgotten he's on "gardening leave". However, notwithstanding that, do you really think that PSG, for example, couldn't afford to buy him out of his contract if he absolutely was" the one"?  It might have put off Daniel Levy, but there's clearly a potential clash of personalities going on here, with the common denominator being Naglesmann himself.

For PSG it may be less about whether they can afford to buy him out from Bayern (not sure what the figure is), and more about if the fee involved plus concerns over his demanding nature, arrogance, etc makes for wise investment. Could end up being a rather expensive exercise if things go pear shaped.

On 17/06/2023 at 17:49, Bob Singleton said:

I would have posted this in the "who should be the next manager" thread, but that's locked now.

Regarding Julien Naglesmann - who at one time was favourite to succeed Potter, and was being talked of in glowing terms not just by the media but many on here - I wonder what it is about him that led Bayern to sack him, not agree a deal with Chelsea, not agree a deal with Spurs, and now not agree a deal with PSG?

I realise that none of the owners of these clubs are likely to be "easy" to get along with, but, let's face it, which owners are? Has he bought into his own mythology a little too much?  Have we dodged a bullet?

I've no shame in saying Nagelsmann was initially my first choice. Of the options i thought he had the highest ceiling and to be honest I hadn't really considered Poch given Spurs links. Looking back I definitely think we've dodged a bullet as another hipster style manager who plays random formations is probably the last thing we need. 

For where we are Poch was clearly the number one candidate. He might not have a tonne of trophies on his record but he's the best choice to get us back to top 4 and the biggest floor raiser. Given the nature of our young squad and his ability to improve players it's the safest bet. If in a years time we are trophyless but have qualified for the CL that'll be a great season IMO. 

I also think that given the dross we've seen this season as fans we are far more ready for a former Spurs manager. I'm not sure he would've had as much support if he was the man to replace the fan favourite TT. Timing is everything. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby
  • Like 1

On 17/06/2023 at 18:49, Bob Singleton said:

On 18/06/2023 at 07:41, My Blood Is Blue said:

You’re probably both on to something. I thought as much myself when I read the news about PSG. No alarm bells going off for him not wanting Spurs (😂), but Chelsea, Spurs AND PSG? Nah, something isn’t right about the dude. 

2 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I've no shame in saying Nagelsmann was initially my first choice. Of the options i thought he had the highest ceiling and to be honest I hadn't really considered Poch given Spurs links. Looking back I definitely think we've dodged a bullet as another hipster style manager who plays random formations is probably the last thing we need. 

For where we are Poch was clearly the number one candidate. He might not have a tonne of trophies on his record but he's the best choice to get us back to top 4 and the biggest floor raiser. Given the nature of our young squad and his ability to improve players it's the safest bet. If in a years time we are trophyless but have qualified for the CL that'll be a great season IMO. 

I also think that given the dross we've seen this season as fans we are far more ready for a former Spurs manager. I'm not sure he would've had as much support if he was the man to replace the fan favourite TT. Timing is everything. 

Fully agree. Poch clearly the best candidate for where we are IMO. He might still fail, but there isn’t a manager out there I’d rather have coaching us next season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/06/2023 at 12:22, xceleryx said:

Could end up being a rather expensive exercise if things go pear shaped.

I can’t believe any club would be the naive enough  to do a Graham Potter Mk2 on contact longevity 

• 2 weeks later...