Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If it went suddenly very downhill this season and we plummet back down towards the bottom, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see the owners sack Poch and ‘bring Jose home’. I can completely see how they would view it as an easy win and it would be, but only for a short time as he isn’t the manager he once was and this squad is not in any way suited to him.

One would assume he would trigger the bring Lukaku home option.

I doubt Roma will buy him this summer

7 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

It’s irrelevant how “past it” he is. Yes he’s no longer the best manager in the world; yes he also likely isn’t the best fit for these players, or could he be? There aren’t that many “top managers” available. In that context and if Poch gets sacked, Jose stacks up well on a number of key issues and would make a lot of sense. Noone in support of his return thinks it will be a long-term project. 

The old Mourhino past successes blinds us to the fact he has been a failure for years.

There was a discussion years ago on the old site of where Jose would end up.Some of us said he would go back to portugal and lick his wounds.Seems like a very good bet.

52 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The old Mourhino past successes blinds us to the fact he has been a failure for years.

There was a discussion years ago on the old site of where Jose would end up.Some of us said he would go back to portugal and lick his wounds.Seems like a very good bet.

No Chance 

He will be back in London as a pundit for Sky sports, would not be surprised if he is one of the pundits for the Boro game.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

Not true Kev.

Cconvince me he has been a success  since he left us except for inter milan.

If anyone could be bothered to remember what I said .He is a flash in the pan manager that is dead in today's game.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

No Chance 

He will be back in London as a pundit for Sky sports, would not be surprised if he is one of the pundits for the Boro game.

No question he could pop up talking bullshit that got him sacked from us.The general public will listen to his nonsense.

Edited by kev61

58 minutes ago, kev61 said:

If anyone could be bothered to remember what I said .He is a flash in the pan manager that is dead in today's game.

Again - you're creating an argument that doesn't exist and you'll have no convincing.

Let me repeat - no Chelsea fan who wants Jose back thinks he's the best manager in the world any more or he's going to win title after title over a number of years for us. 

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

And yet he continued to go to big club, then biggish club.  And almost invariably he completes 2 season (which you may recall is not often done at big clubs, CFC especially).

You'd think that those who wrote him off as a failure a decade ago would have revised their opinion by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

He's won trophies in 7 (seven) jobs out of 8. Some flash in the pan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

would have probably been 8/8, if it was not for Dainels cost cutting and not wanting to pay bonuses 

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

And the one he won nothing in was Spurs, so even more credit to him!

He's been a "failure" only by the impossibly high standards his earlier career set. And even then, there's only one manager in the world who consistently meets them.

He's nowhere near the elite tier or managers now, but in my 38 years I can think of only two, borderline three, other managers who could be considered to have been in that tier for a decade plus during their career. One (Ferguson) bowed out at the top still, the other (Guardiola) will do the same in the next few years imo. Perhaps Jose could have done the same but it seems clear he loves the work too much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Some funny tales regarding Jose from Joe Cole in the papers today , telling Carvalho he was shit and he'd play the kit man before him and telling Mikel he was moving like an Elephant including doing the trunk with his arm.

I'd love to see what he'd do with this lot it'd be an eye opener that's for sure !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Some funny tales regarding Jose from Joe Cole in the papers today , telling Carvalho he was shit and he'd play the kit man before him and telling Mikel he was moving like an Elephant including doing the trunk with his arm.

I'd love to see what he'd do with this lot it'd be an eye opener that's for sure !

Will look for it later but my first thought was that both players mentioned were strong enough mentally and secure enough in the sense of their own ability that that sort of wind up would be taken for what it was..."get your finger out I'm not satisfied with what you are doing" knowing how high a ceiling those players had.  ....most of todays puny minded wallflowers would wilt and lock themselves in the bathroom!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Again - you're creating an argument that doesn't exist and you'll have no convincing.

Let me repeat - no Chelsea fan who wants Jose back thinks he's the best manager in the world any more or he's going to win title after title over a number of years for us. 

If you read what I said earlier,if you didn't, I accept that because I rarely follow myself.

I said in the circumstances I would even consider Mourhino coming back.I dislike the guy more than any manager we ever had - but just maybe he would do better than the apochalypse...see what did there😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McCreadie said:

I will say it again.Mourhino took over the best team we ever had from Ranieri.Granted his Svangali like personality made the difference - but his team were boring despite the success.

Myself and 'Blue Rod'(who was mercilessly ridiculed)predicted he had a short shelf life.We were right amongst many other things.

I respect every person's view but crikey it's hard to hold your tongue or finger in this instance.

Mourhino is a nasty piece of work imo and yet such is our predicament I would give him one more chance.

18 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Yes I have to concede that - but like Ferguson he is yesterday's man.Neither would survive in today's world.

We have two managers now that players look up to....Klopp and Guardiola.Once they leave we will see more of the musical chairs managers that we are going through.

Money will dominate,even more to the point where a lot of people will turn their back on the game.

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

Myself and 'Blue Rod'(who was mercilessly ridiculed)predicted he had a short shelf life.We were right amongst many other things.

wonder why Blue Rod was ridiculed.

20 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

He also compared joe cole  to his pedigree dog.The players we have wouldn't listen to him.Do you really think a school teacher approach would have any effect on multi millionaires?

Clearlake has gambled with massive contracts to young players who couldn't care less about football.

41 minutes ago, Bison said:

Anybody who wants Jose back is crazy. Still abrasive and cynical as ever. If you have the squad we do he's the last manager you want to see walking through the door.

Still , I expect he wouldn't play Colwill instead of Chilwell or Chilwell instead of Mudryk he'd make Mudryk and Mudueke feel they were the best players in the world and Jackson believe he was Drogba reborn and Gallagher that he was Lampard.

And we'd have minimum standards of performance , not doing what he wants you to do would result in bench time .

It wouldn't last long and I wouldn't recommend it but at least he wouldn't be scared of everyone we play .

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bison said:

Anybody who wants Jose back is crazy. Still abrasive and cynical as ever. If you have the squad we do he's the last manager you want to see walking through the door.

Again - you’re painting people who are open to him returning with a broad brush. Let’s be honest - there’s a thousand managers who would do worse and perhaps only a dozen who would do better.

24 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Let’s be honest - there’s a thousand managers who would do worse and perhaps only a dozen who would do better.

I doubt there are as many as a dozen. I got stuck after about 4!

• Agree 1

Shocked that Klopp is leaving Liverpool. That being said, if they go after De Zerbi I think serious conversations need to be had about we should try to steal in ahead of them, especially if our form drops again (as I expect).

As Carragher said:

"Brighton and Hove Albion’s Roberto de Zerbi must also be on FSG’s radar. What unites the two outstanding candidates (also Xabi Alonso) is the similarity to Klopp at Borussia Dortmund – namely using the resources at their disposal to punch above their weight playing a thrilling brand of football."

De Zerbi is also perfect for our current project IMO and what Carragher mentions: "using the resources at their disposal" (i.e. the completely inadequate and inexperienced squad that our owners are dead set on giving our managers... RDZ may well make a much better go of it than Poch has).

On 20/01/2024 at 11:20, Max Fowler said:

Again - you’re painting people who are open to him returning with a broad brush. Let’s be honest - there’s a thousand managers who would do worse and perhaps only a dozen who would do better.

If you wish to see Palmer put in a transfer request then Jose will help you get your wish.

He would destroy Palmer the same way he did Mata! Rage at him if he tried a flick that didn't come off. Be more interested in him tracking back than what he does in the other half.

Honestly can't think of a worse manager to manage this young squad!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

He would destroy Palmer the same way he did Mata! Rage at him if he tried a flick that didn't come off. Be more interested in him tracking back than what he does in the other half.

Jose destroyed Mata?   Strange history you believe in.

• Agree 1