Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Relitive to how difficult the job each manager has on their hands. 

I'll take a charity bet with you right now that if Poch stays next season we will finish above Brighton and quite comfortably too! 

RDZ is 100% leaving in the summer.

8 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Brighton extending their lead over us despite RDZ having a „bad season“ 😂😂😂😂😂😂

5 league wins from their last 19 league fixtures, two of those wins coming this month. 

3 clean sheets in 25 league games. 

Hardly what I'd call scintillating stuff. 

Edited by xceleryx

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

5 league wins from their last 19 league fixtures, two of those wins coming this month. 

3 clean sheets in 25 league games. 

Hardly what I'd call scintillating stuff. 

Still above us though, so if If their coach is having a bad one whilst having his best players taken by us as and Liverpool, where does this leave our coach on the same scale?

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

Still above us though, so if If their coach is having a bad one whilst having his best players taken by us as and Liverpool, where does this leave our coach on the same scale?

They are, by 3 points. They're still doing well overall, but it was more to provide a bit of context of their more recent form given the buzz that surrounded them and De Zerbi earlier in the season. 

Hard to draw comparisons though because we've got our own unique situation on hand that management has had to handle. Maybe we get more out of our league performances under a different manager, maybe we implode if moral and player management doesn't get handled as well as it has been. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, east lower said:

And they are still playing in Europe.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

They are, by 3 points. They're still doing well overall, but it was more to provide a bit of context of their more recent form given the buzz that surrounded them and De Zerbi earlier in the season. 

The buzz that surrounded them, and still does, is exactly because it is them, Brighton and Hove Albion.

It's very easy to knock them for every little negative, every time they have a dip in form yet they finished 6th last season and currently sit 7th. 

In the last two seasons they have lost Caicedo, Mac Allister, Cucurella,  Bissouma and Trossard. That's arguably their best 5 players yet the manager keeps improving them whilst playing some of the best football in the league.

Really not sure why some have to knock them or question them every time they have a little bad run. It's phenomenal the job he has done at that club, absolutely phenomenal.

Most impressive manager in the Premier league since he arrived, by an absolute mile. It's quite scary to think what he could achieve with a better group of players. 

Edited by martin1905

5 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

The buzz that surrounded them, and still does, is exactly because it is them, Brighton and Hove Albion.

It's very easy to knock them for every little negative, every time they have a dip in form yet they finished 6th last season and currently sit 7th. 

In the last two seasons they have lost Caicedo, Mac Allister, Cucurella,  Bissouma and Trossard. That's arguably their best 5 players yet the manager keeps improving them whilst playing some of the best football in the league.

Really not sure why some have to knock them or question them every time they have a little bad run. It's phenomenal the job he has done at that club, absolutely phenomenal.

Most impressive manager in the Premier league since he arrived, by an absolute mile. It's quite scary to think what he could achieve with a better group of players. 

Couldn't the same have been said about Potter?

Not knocking De Zerbi, btw, but the biggest turnaround at BHA came when Potter took over from Hughton, taking them from a 36 point team in 2018/19 to a 51 point team by 2021/22

De Zerbi has no doubt kicked them on from there, but the ship was heading in the right direction. 

29 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Wasn't knocking them by any means, nor the job De Zerbi has done despite the loss of several players. Was simply pointing out that they have struggled to pick up domestic wins since the back end of last season. I said a few weeks ago this would be the big test for De Zerbi, as it's easy to get praise for when things are going well but how will he and the side respond when results aren't as favourable. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Couldn't the same have been said about Potter?

Not knocking De Zerbi, btw, but the biggest turnaround at BHA came when Potter took over from Hughton, taking them from a 36 point team in 2018/19 to a 51 point team by 2021/22

De Zerbi has no doubt kicked them on from there, but the ship was heading in the right direction. 

The turnaround actually came when Houghton took over and made them a premier league team.

I've done the discussion about Potter to death.

They were a mid table side, although they finished 9th it was only 3 points above 12th, playing mid table football. His first two seasons they finished 15th And 16th.Not scoring goals and conceding more than they scored. Averaged 1.22 ppg. Win ration 24%

De Zerbi came in, after loosing their best players and improved everything, instantly. Scored 61 goals in 32 matches and averages 1.53 ppg. Win ratio 42%.

Potter's record at Brighton was closer to Houghton than De Zerbi.

7 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Potter's record at Brighton was closer to Houghton than De Zerbi.

Potter took over a team that finished 17th.

de Zerbi took over a team that finished 9th.

It is far too simplistic to break it down into win ratio or PPG. If, hypothetically, De Zerbi (or anyone else) had come in and repeated what BHA had done in Potter's final season, then he still would have had a better win percentage and PPG than Potter, the manager who inherited the team that came 17th.

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Potter took over a team that finished 17th.

de Zerbi took over a team that finished 9th.

It is far too simplistic to break it down into win ratio or PPG. If, hypothetically, De Zerbi (or anyone else) had come in and repeated what BHA had done in Potter's final season, then he still would have had a better win percentage and PPG than Potter, the manager who inherited the team that came 17th.

Potter took over a team that finished o n 36 points and then finished on 41. And 41 the next season before finishing on 51. Playing drab football that scored less than they conceded. 

De Zerbi went from 51 to 62 points and got them playing some of the best football in the league and into the knock out stages of the Europa League.

I don't think the jobs  he and Potter did there are remotely comparable and I don't think what Potter did there was particularly impressive or layed any groudwork, that came before him.

And lets not forget that's with loosing all your best players.

5 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think the jobs  he and Potter did there are remotely comparable and I don't think what Potter did there was particularly impressive or layed any groudwork, that came before him.

I think that's astonishing. 

Just now, Max Fowler said:

Potter did well. De Zerbi way better. Also Potter was never universally regarded as destined for an elite club. RDZ is.

You can say both managers did well, without putting the other one down. 

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded bit, but heh, that's opinions.

I think taking a team from 17 to 9th in 3 seasons is harder than taking a team from 9th to 6th but there you go.

22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You can say both managers did well, without putting the other one down. 

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded bit, but heh, that's opinions.

I think taking a team from 17 to 9th in 3 seasons is harder than taking a team from 9th to 6th but there you go.

There is also that English element where Potter always looked like your local PE teacher - would have never even got the Chelsea job if it wasn't for his new beard, whereas although De Zerbi looks a bit strange with the hair gel - he is Italian, a bit of a nutter, and looks like he could easily handle the step up from a mental perspective.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

There is also that English element where Potter always looked like your local PE teacher - would have never even got the Chelsea job if it wasn't for his new beard, whereas although De Zerbi looks a bit strange with the hair gel - he is Italian, a bit of a nutter, and looks like he could easily handle the step up from a mental perspective.

Well Potter certainly looked out of his depth here. That is something we can all agree on

• Like 1

Brighton were playing beautiful football under Potter, often being the better team in ganes but never able to finish off their football with goals. Potter getting a Brighton team to outplay even some of the fop teams was a big part in him getting the Chelsea job. De Zerbi has clearly taken them to a higher level by giving them the cutting edge they were missing under Potter.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I think Chris Houghton taking them from 20th in the Championship to the Premier league is much more impressive than what Potter did there 

ok.

that doesn't mean Potter didn't do a great job either.

The managerial performances of Hughton, Potter, and De Zerbi are all mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

With respect, what a weird thing to say, unless you're being facetious.

14 minutes ago, JaneB said:

With respect, what a weird thing to say, unless you're being facetious.

A little bit, but there is a serious point in there. As a country we have got used to Italian managers, German managers, Spanish managers and so on being the absolute best of the best. The standard of British managers in comparison is bad, but for some reason we also don't seem to produce the characters either. Maybe that is the British press, maybe its because they are native speakers. Mourinho could walk into a press conference and command the room - Potter could not. Is it because we British are self-deprecating, self-aware and cynical compared to our European counterparts? Certainly De Zerbi seems to have some of that Italian craziness we have seen and loved with the likes of Conte - wildly generalising here but there is also a serious point in there.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The managerial performances of Hughton, Potter, and De Zerbi are all mutually exclusive. 

Surely the opposite, which is the reason we keep getting stung. There's a clear common thread to all of their relative successes, and it's why no one taken out of the club and put here has been anything like as successful. 

There's lots of links recently between De Zerbi and Barca. I don't think he's too likely to turn up here.

42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Surely the opposite, which is the reason we keep getting stung.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. They are all linked, as in one doing a good job makes it easier for the next.

What I meant was that you can say one of them did a good job without putting down the other(s). Saying Potter did well, doesn't mean to say the the others did poorly, or less well.

I am just judging each of the manners on the respective jobs they did for BHA.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Surely the opposite, which is the reason we keep getting stung. There's a clear common thread to all of their relative successes, and it's why no one taken out of the club and put here has been anything like as successful. 

There's lots of links recently between De Zerbi and Barca. I don't think he's too likely to turn up here.

The likelihood for me stems from all the Brighton links we have in the club + Mudryk.