Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The trouble is Jane, no manager or player has the freedom to say anything remotely interesting as it will offend someone.

Keep it neutral, vanilla, beige, and don't land yourself or the club in trouble. This is 2023.

I guess so Paul. 

I'm not anti Poch at all, I'm excited he's here at last and I appreciate English isn't his first language.

I was obviously expecting too much.  The days of Jose are long gone.

(I'd still like to know what his thoughts on Mason Mount are though, for starters....) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Putting us on a pedestal and pissing in off other fans already.

Saying the players need to be prepared to die for us fans.

Promising exciting football.

Like everything he had to say. This just feels like such a good fit.

Feels like someone mentioned how Rafa behaved in his first press conference to him and may have said "Here is what the other guy that managed a Club our fans despise said when he took over.."

and Poch/the Chelsea PR people went "Nah. Maybe we won't do that." 

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯🫶🏻

17 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I hope so, i do think we may have to be patient. It could be another season before we return to a top 6 position for instance.

13 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

I hope so, i do think we may have to be patient. It could be another season before we return to a top 6 position for instance.

Agreed - but if we see proper progress, the signs of a team and an identity, with players really grafting and showing spirit, then I think most fans will get behind him and his team. He's clearly been brought here to craft a young, hungry side and has a lot of personnel that fit the bill now. 

If it's like last year it'll speak for itself and he won't be here long.  But I don't think it will be, his demands for the squad will certainly out those that aren't prepared to graft.

Now we have a proven good manager and the basis of a core to the squad, my view would be to get a couple more signings done and then we'll have a more balanced squad.  And for the first time in ages, it would feel like "we can upgrade on X player" rather than "we desperately A DM/Striker/CB etc etc" and teams can definitely build on that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

@Gurj SS  I'm not going to go through your whole post as it would take far too long and it's gone midnight where I am, but I disagree with pretty much all of it.

Just one example: Kante and Kovacic. You are aware aren't you that Kante's contract was up on 30th June and Kovacic's next June?  So you would have given a new contract to a player who has spent much of last season on the treatment table, much of the previous season on the treatment table,  and whose fitness levels are now questionable?  As for Kovacic, it was clear he didn't want to extend his contract, so keeping him for his final year would have seen him leave on a free.

I, for one, am glad you're not running the club.

Fair enough, and that goes for the rest too. I'm not coming from a place of attack but more from concern; our squad is young and lacks experience; if this was some other team I think there's a fair few of our supporters who would be laughing at them; Pep's most successful team has been a mixture of youth and experience. If we're in it for the long haul then it may become a very long haul which didn't need to happen that way.

The way I'd run the club is by keeping senior players around to intergrate the new young players into the club, to help them handle the pressures of playing for a top team. Just an example, I know many aren't fans of Jorghino and his style of playing but we took a nose dive when he left, I'm not saying he's faster or stronger than Enzo but his brain is miles ahead of most footballers in the game; and if there's one thing he never did was shy away when things were tough, he still accepted the ball over and over even when nothing was moving ahead of him and that type of experience and character is vital when the pressure is on.

We've had young energy and speed missing to compliment our experience and game managment; we now have experience and game managment missing to compliment our young energy and speed.

3 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Fair enough, and that goes for the rest too. I'm not coming from a place of attack but more from concern; our squad is young and lacks experience; if this was some other team I think there's a fair few of our supporters who would be laughing at them; Pep's most successful team has been a mixture of youth and experience. If we're in it for the long haul then it may become a very long haul which didn't need to happen that way.

The way I'd run the club is by keeping senior players around to intergrate the new young players into the club, to help them handle the pressures of playing for a top team. Just an example, I know many aren't fans of Jorghino and his style of playing but we took a nose dive when he left, I'm not saying he's faster or stronger than Enzo but his brain is miles ahead of most footballers in the game; and if there's one thing he never did was shy away when things were tough, he still accepted the ball over and over even when nothing was moving ahead of him and that type of experience and character is vital when the pressure is on.

We've had young energy and speed missing to compliment our experience and game managment; we now have experience and game managment missing to compliment our young energy and speed.

It will be interesting to se if the new transfer committee has the nous to identify stop gap experienced solutions to fill in where necessary. For example Thiago Silva in the current squad, Eto'o and Drogba Mkii in the past.

Identifying future talents is one thing but I do think we need some more experience in the squad, if we only sign players for the future I fear we are basically becoming a feeder club. I'm not knocking them yet as there is a way to go in the window.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

You ideally keep senior players around who have the right attitude and are committed to improvement and want to be part of the coaches vison going forward.

Probably why Silva stays and Ziyech is being punted around.

We do lack some experience it is true , but , the window isn't shut yet and maybe some will come or maybe some will have to grow the experience on the job as they're doing it , the younger players did not let us down last year in comparison to the "experienced" ones . 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You ideally keep senior players around who have the right attitude and are committed to improvement and want to be part of the coaches vison going forward.

We do lack some experience it is true , but , the window isn't shut yet and maybe some will come or maybe some will have to grow the experience on the job as they're doing it , the younger players did not let us down last year in comparison to the "experienced" ones . 

Tbh, I think the presence of an experienced Goalie would be massive for this squad.  I'd be going for Maignan purely for a presence at the back that shouts and tells people where to be.

OG perspective (for which I apologise)related to the above posts...and I posted earlier my same concerns. (Remember the quote about learning lessons from the past!)

When The Doc had a similar clearout and pretty much brought in a lot of very talented youngsters who ultimately ran out of the old Second division with the enthusiasm of youth and a hungry manager...BUT....he had a very experienced trio of Mortimer Upton and Blunstone who helped when the kids "stumbled" somewhat....add Harmer and to an extent Kevan and the possible Achilles Heel is on show today. (Perhaps that is not a body part I should mention!)

Anyway better no or little senior influence than a negative influence as seemed to be apparent last season....hopefully one or two of the new intake will show a depth of football character and help the new dawn.

19 minutes ago, chara said:

Anyway better no or little senior influence than a negative influence as seemed to be apparent last season....

I do wonder how much of the clear out is also getting rid of those thought to have been 'bad eggs' or at least having the wrong mentality, which nearly all of our recent managers have alluded to there being, "it's the same player so what do we expect" from TT etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Not being funny but we do have experience and leadership.

Kepa 28, Chilwell 26, Sterling 28, Silva 38 and Lukaku 30.  It's very feasible that all 5 start the season as first choice. Cucurella is 25 this year, Reece James 24 and Nkunku 26.  These aren't kids we are talking about, even Connor Gallagher will be 24 early next year.

Totally agree with the essence of your post feel a bit churlish commenting on the bits above...Leadership and experience are two seperate things.When they fit together it is a great thing to have in a team...JT as a lazy example had leadership from an early age which complimented with experienced produced almost the essential team captain.

Kepa...a keeper is not a leader as such although as a solid performer a keeper is a great leader by example...experience yes...Chilly covers potentially both your points..agree...Sterling ..experience only...plays for himself rather than leads...Silva...no need to comment!...Lukaku?....leader to the take out counter.. experience but ...

Will be more than interesting to see if any of the new intake are naturally leaders and more so how many of those left from last year blossom to any extent without the possible "bad influence" however subtle it was.

Again..an add on to your post rather than a disagreement with it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JaneB said:

You’re banned!!!!

And you @Ham

😉

Very naughty boys Maam.... note I am on your side and don't know how they could be so naughty..about time that Ham had his knuckles rapped!....word play,puns and humour are the downfall of the Forum.

(Don't even get me started on that M Kelly character.)

Edited by chara
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, chara said:

Very naughty boys Maam.... note I am on your side and don't know how they could be so naughty..about time that Ham had his knuckles rapped!....word play,puns and humour are the downfall of the Forum.

greys-anatomy-meredith-grey.gif.82b068eea08b8c5ad5ad5849ef92e640.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, chara said:

Don't worry Chara, @Ham's card is always marked and @Mark Kellyonly gets away with stuff because he makes me laugh so much 🤣

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is one of the reasons why I'd look at bringing Willian back on a free for this season. Slots in nicely on the RW to compete with Madueke, doesn't really block a pathway for anyone given his age, was good last season for Fulham, obviously knows the club and has experience at the top end of things.

If we can snag another one or two senior figures, even for a season, particularly in the midfield positions, then it gives us a senior figure or two in each third of the pitch. Really surprised we didn't target Brozovic for this reason also, more so when you consider we'll be dealing with Inter throughout this window trying to sort Lukaku. Would've been a great shorter term pickup for that DM role.

14 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Not being funny but we do have experience and leadership.

Kepa 28, Chilwell 26, Sterling 28, Silva 38 and Lukaku 30.  It's very feasible that all 5 start the season as first choice. Cucurella is 25 this year, Reece James 24 and Nkunku 26.  These aren't kids we are talking about, even Connor Gallagher will be 24 early next year.

What we have lost is a few rats that didn't want to be here and jumped ship at the first sign of trouble at our club. None of them will be missed.

The 'experience' we have lost were all utter wank last season anyway. All of them.

And then how to you quantity experience? Mason Mount and Kai Havertz have more experienced in the Premier League than Enzo but Enzo has played in three different leagues in the past three years, moved clubs twice, lived in three different countries and won the world cup.

Kovacic, a seasoned professional, spent most of his career as a bit part player and when we really needed him the scumbag didn't even bother trying, then just walked away. Great experience and leadership right there.

My last memories of Tuchel was him losing it on the sidelines.Players were obviously not carrying out his instructions.

I welcome a new broom and I couldn't care less whether we have "experience" or not.

The "experienced" players were mostly crap anyway.

I’m firmly in the camp that we need some more experience in the team. I’m not really going to judge players to much on what happened last season, it was just a mess from start to finish.

The players Martin listed might be experienced based on their age and football played. However, bar Silva, none of the others are leaders in any way. They are all what I would describe as quiet players. Lukaku being included in that list is clutching at straws for the argument, because he is more likely to cause friction , rather than lead and use any of his experience.

We have Silva for defence. We could do with a new experienced and vocal GK to form a unit with the defence. I also think we desperately need an holding midfielder who knows that position well, regardless of Caicedo signing. This does not need to be a great player who will cost £70 million plus. It’s someone who knows and understands the position , will add some protection to the defence and is comfortable standing up and directing players similar to how Jorginho could. A player like Paulinha would cost a fortune after one great season. We need someone like a Jordan Henderson figure , I would have a close look at Hjoberg at Spurs. This type of signing could be a stroke of genius if we can get them in. 

On 03/07/2023 at 18:04, Sciatika said:

“In the last 10, 12, 15 years, Chelsea is the greatest team in England” - Poch might be overegging that one a bit but it's always good to wind up Spurs.

And City. And Manure. And Liverpool.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I’m firmly in the camp that we need some more experience in the team. I’m not really going to judge players to much on what happened last season, it was just a mess from start to finish.

The players Martin listed might be experienced based on their age and football played. However, bar Silva, none of the others are leaders in any way. They are all what I would describe as quiet players. Lukaku being included in that list is clutching at straws for the argument, because he is more likely to cause friction , rather than lead and use any of his experience.

We have Silva for defence. We could do with a new experienced and vocal GK to form a unit with the defence. I also think we desperately need an holding midfielder who knows that position well, regardless of Caicedo signing. This does not need to be a great player who will cost £70 million plus. It’s someone who knows and understands the position , will add some protection to the defence and is comfortable standing up and directing players similar to how Jorginho could. A player like Paulinha would cost a fortune after one great season. We need someone like a Jordan Henderson figure , I would have a close look at Hjoberg at Spurs. This type of signing could be a stroke of genius if we can get them in. 

I'd take Hjoberg, but no way Spurs sell to us in a million years. Very underrated player in my books. This is also why I mentioned Brozovic earlier, he'd have been perfect for under £20m and ticked the boxes of both being a DM and experienced.