Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

30 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

At least you acknowledge our rough fixtures and likely results. Outside pressure got Potter sacked and there is a tipping point with Poch too. People say Potter got himself sacked but Poch has hardly done better, arguably worse. Fair play for recent results and performances. But if your reality is completely divorced from the 95% of Chelsea fans and media it won’t matter a jot. The board will sack Poch to save face and generate excitement. That’s why the cup feels a massive deal for him more than the club. Would be great to win but it’s his first English trophy ever? Come on. A meek 2-0 loss would be devastating for him. 

Pochettino is gone in the summer whatever happens. He'll only have one year left and no way he gets an extension. 

The remaining fixtures will have very little impact on his future, unless we see a miraculous turnaround,  which we won't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Reality is there's no such thing as a run of easy  games in the Premiership for a team in 10th. 

Wrong - Luton (H), Burnley, Sheffield U, and Forest (H) would do nicely.

Our PL wins this season have come against Luton, Fulham, Burnley, Spurs, Brighton, Palace, and Sheffield U.

That's an "easy" run of fixtures.

24 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Wrong - Luton (H), Burnley, Sheffield U, and Forest (H) would do nicely.

Our PL wins this season have come against Luton, Fulham, Burnley, Spurs, Brighton, Palace, and Sheffield U.

That's an "easy" run of fixtures.

You gave a very highly improbable list of fixtures featuring all  the teams at the bottom of the table. No team ever is lucky enough to have that kind of run.

Then you list our wins.  Beating Spurs away and beating Brighton were good wins. Apart from those two we've had two good results and performances against City. One good performance against Liverpool and Arsenal. One very good performance against Villa in the Cup.  Five performances against the top four which we were not close to being capable of last season.  That is where I've seen the progress this season. Where we've dissapointed this year has been against fellow midtable and bottom half teams. However, that is much more easily fixed than not being anywhere near good enough  to compete with the top teams. I'm confident we'll pick up significantly more points next season against those mid and lower half level teams.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Pochettino is gone in the summer whatever happens. He'll only have one year left and no way he gets an extension. 

The remaining fixtures will have very little impact on his future, unless we see a miraculous turnaround,  which we won't.

I’m not saying I think he’s sticking around, but just acknowledging that Manager’s are different to players when it comes to contracts.

Like what is the actual harm if he went into the final year of his deal?  We’re not doing ourselves out of a transfer fee 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

You gave a very highly improbable list of fixtures featuring all  the teams at the bottom of the table. No team ever is lucky enough to have that kind of run.

Then you list our wins.  Beating Spurs away and beating Brighton were good wins. Apart from those two we've had two good results and performances against City. One good performance against Liverpool and Arsenal. One very good performance against Villa in the Cup.  Five performances against the top four which we were not close to being capable of last season.  That is where I've seen the progress this season. Where we've dissapointed this year has been against fellow midtable and bottom half teams. However, that is much more easily fixed than not being anywhere near good enough  to compete with the top teams. I'm confident we'll pick up significantly more points next season against those mid and lower half level teams.

And yet we are "unlucky" enough to be in the middle of a very tough run of fixtures. So it goes.

Many of those so-called "good" performances I doubt. Spurs was a strange one, Brighton we weren't great. Liverpool decent, Arsenal we threw it away.  Last season we drew at Anfield, against Man U, progressed against Dortmund in the CL, beat Villa in their own back yard, won four other CL games including home and away against AC Milan under Potter. It's much of a muchness, the stats point to that.

Despite noble displays against the big teams we are consistently unable to win - and let's not forget we put in atrocious performances against Man United, Liverpool, and Newcastle this season.

You cannot just say - "we will play well against the good teams and we will fix it against the bad teams next season". We haven't played particularly well against the good teams - we have been bang average. But even so getting players up for the so-called smaller games is not an easy fix, playing against low block teams fighting for their lives. Is that with Poch or the players? The jury is still out.

46 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I’m not saying I think he’s sticking around, but just acknowledging that Manager’s are different to players when it comes to contracts.

Like what is the actual harm if he went into the final year of his deal?  We’re not doing ourselves out of a transfer fee 

The harm is if the fans really don't want him here. Atmosphere becomes toxic or we miss out on another brighter option. At the moment he's keeping fans happy though!

43 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The harm is if the fans really don't want him here. Atmosphere becomes toxic or we miss out on another brighter option. At the moment he's keeping fans happy though!

I question that he's keeping the fans "happy"....at best, imho , the fans are tolerating him.... I feel no real enthusiasm or faith in him emanating from the terraces or the armchairs.

At worst many have given up on the prospect of any real long term dynasty or such from the coach.

Probably the truth is somewhere in the murky middle ..just an average coach ultimately producing an average side.

Added on reflection..probably the majority of EPL clubs and coaches fall into low to high "average" as related to the EPL..12 or so anyway..Look with a cold eye.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chara said:

I question that he's keeping the fans "happy"....at best, imho , the fans are tolerating him.... I feel no real enthusiasm or faith in him emanating from the terraces or the armchairs.

At worst many have given up on the prospect of any real long term dynasty or such from the coach.

Probably the truth is somewhere in the murky middle ..just an average coach ultimately producing an average side.

Added on reflection..probably the majority of EPL clubs and coaches fall into low to high "average" as related to the EPL..12 or so anyway..Look with a cold eye.

I think Poch also comes across as a nice guy trying his best and recent performances have been a real livesaver for him. Matchday fans seem to have shown more of a will for us to win this season (compared to last) and support the team despite most having little to no faith in „the project“.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Last season we drew at Anfield, against Man U, progressed against Dortmund in the CL, beat Villa in their own back yard, won four other CL games including home and away against AC Milan under Potter. 

The draw at Anfield was against a Liverpool way off the pace and levels below what they are this season. We were bloody terrible against Utd and only got a draw because they were equally terrible. Villa were a level below what they are this season.

As for the CL performances. Dortmund and Milan are from leagues in their worst state in my lifetime😟 Both of those teams would be bog standard midtable teams in the EPL. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I think Poch also comes across as a nice guy trying his best and recent performances have been a real livesaver for him. Matchday fans seem to have shown more of a will for us to win this season (compared to last) and support the team despite most having little to no faith in „the project“.

I never wanted Poch here in the first place, but I also think he's a nice guy and have warmed to him as the season has progressed. Regardless of what happens the rest of the season I'd like him to see out his contract then take it from there at the end of next season when we see where we are. 

I'm one who also wanted Frank and then  Potter to be given more time btw. Going way back, I also wanted Ranieri to be given another season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The draw at Anfield was against a Liverpool way off the pace and levels below what they are this season. We were bloody terrible against Utd and only got a draw because they were equally terrible. Villa were a level below what they are this season.

As for the CL performances. Dortmund and Milan are from leagues in their worst state in my lifetime😟 Both of those teams would be bog standard midtable teams in the EPL. 

Some would say we only won against Spurs because they went down to 9 men. We were outplayed before they did. You can pick and choose games or moments you can hold on to but the reality is we haven’t done that much better against big teams. Even the recent Man City display was good not great. We just haven’t disgraced ourselves as resoundingly as we thought.

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I never wanted Poch here in the first place, but I also think he's a nice guy and have warmed to him as the season has progressed. Regardless of what happens the rest of the season I'd like him to see out his contract then take it from there at the end of next season when we see where we are. 

I'm one who also wanted Frank and then  Potter to be given more time btw. Going way back, I also wanted Ranieri to be given another season.

That’s fair. That’s actually a consistent position. I always think it’s always completely inconsistent when people say Potter got himself fired but Poch hasn’t deserved to.

2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The (then) reasonable view by a reasonable man. shared by many of us.

I think the harsh reality leading to ,or those mentioned not getting, or arguably eventually not deserving of, more time has influenced the arguably less reasonable or patient reaction towards the present coach and staff.

Get kicked enough and even an OG keeper wises up eventually and we are not known for lucid, rational thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest mrsm81

Still think pots is a steady hand in a volatile (cfc) world.  I'm glad he's here , one to take us forward, maybe not, but an experienced hand to steady the ship? Yes please. He's my preference to anyone RIGHT NOW

16 hours ago, mrsm81 said:

Still think pots is a steady hand in a volatile (cfc) world.  I'm glad he's here , one to take us forward, maybe not, but an experienced hand to steady the ship? Yes please. He's my preference to anyone RIGHT NOW

Yeah have to admit despite Poch's PHD in bottlejobbery, right now there aren't many I'd prefer. I would roll the dice on De Zerbi for the potential explosion factor. Also Italian coaches and Chelsea...

16 hours ago, mrsm81 said:

Sort of agree....can't say I'm glad he's here but as long as there is the eye test climb to a more stable place however slowly  I can tolerate him on the short term...I see no one out there despite "taste of the day" names.

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Does this mean Liverpool will go De Zerbi? We may have a choice on our hands...

Maybe we're going to suffer another season of Potterino and then get Klopp once his batteries are recharged. 

It'd be worth it just to see them flip flopping like they did with Ranieri who went from an idiot to a genius the second we sacked him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe we're going to suffer another season of Potterino and then get Klopp once his batteries are recharged. 

It'd be worth it just to see them flip flopping like they did with Ranieri who went from an idiot to a genius the second we sacked him. 

Interesting views on this thread - really enjoying it.

Assuming we lose on Sunday and we finish say 11th/12th, Poch has one year left. Do Todd ‘n’ Eggy trust him with the transfers for next season? What do you tell prospective signings when the coach has one year left?

From what I’ve seen since the takeover I’m going to say only a very small handful  are top quality. And I don’t think that is all Poch’s fault at all. 

But anyway, ladies and gents - do the club stick or twist? 

And as always - if not Poch, who? And forget Klopp - he’s not coming. 👀💀

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Assuming we lose on Sunday and we finish say 11th/12th, Poch has one year left. Do Todd ‘n’ Eggy trust him with the transfers for next season? What do you tell prospective signings when the coach has one year left?

From what I’ve seen since the takeover I’m going to say only a very small handful  are top quality. And I don’t think that is all Poch’s fault at all. 

I think the Cup Final is absolutely massive. The owners will find a way to mentally masturbate over it for decades - expect an annual Carabao Cup 2024 Trophy parade followed by a screening of Argyle

Also tbf for the fans - if we win something it's symbolically huge. I couldn't give a flying f about The Carabao to be honest, but just as something to celebrate, if we do it in style, it feels like maybe a new beginning.

If we lose and especially lose badly the players and fans will be massively deflated and our 11th/12th finish will be revealed for what it is - a big failure. We could go on a really bad run after the cup final.

The fact that so much of our club is getting orientated towards Brighton makes me think we are seriously looking at De Zerbi. We are literally hiring the person who hired De Zerbi.

We want to make Mudryk and Caicedo worth their fee - they both flourished under De Zerbi. My preference for RDZ aside, I have to think they are actively looking at it, especially given Liverpool and even Bayern now have an open position too. 

I think if we lose the Cup final the club may already move for De Zerbi - confirmed by follow up failures in the upcoming tough fixtures. I would guess if we win the Cup Final Poch is likely to stay, unless we fall off a cliff again in the league.

29 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I imagine Poch's influence on transfers is minimal beyond general outlining positions or player types he'd like addressed. Thus I don't see him having a year left on his contract being a big deal of any sort. 

There's no real reason to just rip things up at this very point in time. Sure, performances could be better under someone else but they could also be worse, and people can critique Poch's coaching on match days but something massively overlooked is how well his man management has been in keeping moral high with such a young group. 

Unless something goes massively array then I expect to see him to see out his contract. Whether or not he gets an extension remains to be seen, but for now he's fine for where we are. Not that I'd be heartbroken if we opted for someone else, I just think having a bit of stability would be nice given the turmoil over the last couple of years. 

• Like 1