Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

7 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'd take Hjoberg, but no way Spurs sell to us in a million years. Very underrated player in my books. This is also why I mentioned Brozovic earlier, he'd have been perfect for under £20m and ticked the boxes of both being a DM and experienced. 

Yep Brozovic would have been ideal and a player we have had links with in the past. I presume no European club felt like they could/wanted to compete on that deal at his age.

I do think we need this type of player as a priority. Maybe Amrabat could be an option. Whilst Caicedo has a number of positives, I believe he will go roaming at times to try and win possession. I would not regard as pure holding player and to try and ask him to do that, will nullify his positives imo. 

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'd take Hjoberg, but no way Spurs sell to us in a million years. Very underrated player in my books. This is also why I mentioned Brozovic earlier, he'd have been perfect for under £20m and ticked the boxes of both being a DM and experienced. 

Yeah , I would too , however I think you've hit on something there , buying "experienced" players is going to prove far more difficult than buying the youngsters we have recently bought , the selling clubs won't want them to leave and if it's EPL experience we're after then any signing will be horribly overpriced too.  I expect Jonjo Shelvey could be acquired fairly cheaply , lol. 

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Yep Brozovic would have been ideal and a player we have had links with in the past. I presume no European club felt like they could/wanted to compete on that deal at his age.

I do think we need this type of player as a priority. Maybe Amrabat could be an option. Whilst Caicedo has a number of positives, I believe he will go roaming at times to try and win possession. I would not regard as pure holding player and to try and ask him to do that, will nullify his positives imo. 

Amrabat would also be another option but I believe his desire is to join Atletico Madrid, so that likely rules him out also. Trying to think of what other options are out there, there's Oriol Romeu who'd be super cheap and familiar with both the club and the Premier League, but is being chased as a stop-gap replacement for Biscuits at Barcelona. Ndidi from Leicester, not really an older head but mature enough however would also likely cost a lot more. Otherwise options are thin.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah , I would too , however I think you've hit on something there , buying "experienced" players is going to prove far more difficult than buying the youngsters we have recently bought , the selling clubs won't want them to leave and if it's EPL experience we're after then any signing will be horribly overpriced too.  I expect Jonjo Shelvey could be acquired fairly cheaply , lol. 

Not to mention it would also go against largely what we've done here since the transfer structure was put in place properly. That said, we should be putting feelers out there to see who may be an option to fill that sort of role. 

It's all well and good going down the youth path but having some senior heads in each third can fill in the gaps. Of course, the harder part is picking the right ones. 

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Amrabat would also be another option but I believe his desire is to join Atletico Madrid, so that likely rules him out also. Trying to think of what other options are out there, there's Oriol Romeu who'd be super cheap and familiar with both the club and the Premier League, but is being chased as a stop-gap replacement for Biscuits at Barcelona. Ndidi from Leicester, not really an older head but mature enough however would also likely cost a lot more. Otherwise options are thin.

I’d forgot about Ndidi to be honest. Probably in part to his lack of form last season, but he could be another option.

I know many will laugh at this and normally he would not be the level Chelsea require, but as I have said, I don’t think we need a superstar to fulfill this role. He wouldn’t be one of the top options to sign, but I wouldn’t be against Mctominay if you could get him for £25 million. It won’t happen and many will jump straight to the he’s shit typical viewpoint. We would t be looking to build a midfield around him here like Utd have in the past , we would be looking for his size and athleticism to come in and compliment what we have.

As I stated, he would not be the first raft of options as he does also not tick the experienced box. However, I think he his strengths have potential to improve the team as a whole. 

19 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Not being funny but we do have experience and leadership.

Kepa 28, Chilwell 26, Sterling 28, Silva 38 and Lukaku 30.  It's very feasible that all 5 start the season as first choice. Cucurella is 25 this year, Reece James 24 and Nkunku 26.  These aren't kids we are talking about, even Connor Gallagher will be 24 early next year.

None of those are leaders who has what it take to rally the team when the pressure on during a game “say being 1-0 down”

Unfortunately, James & Chilly seem t loose there heads when under extreme pressure as had been witnessed by all over the past couple of season when they were fit.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

None of those are leaders who has what it take to rally the team when the pressure on during a game “say being 1-0 down”

Unfortunately, James & Chilly seem t loose there heads when under extreme pressure as had been witnessed by all over the past couple of season when they were fit.

Perhaps the TBSD will switch to  profiling players who can pump their fists up and down , gesticulate and clap their hands rather than the athleticism that they have previously been targeting ?

Personally , I'd much rather have a ranter than a footballer. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Perhaps the TBSD will switch to  profiling players who can pump their fists up and down , gesticulate and clap their hands rather than the athleticism that they have previously been targeting ?

Personally , I'd much rather have a ranter than a footballer. 

I've asked before, but seriously, can we PLEASE stop with these bloody initials? Either spell the sodding names out, or don't post. 

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I've asked before, but seriously, can we PLEASE stop with these bloody initials? Either spell the sodding names out, or don't post. 

What does PLEASE stand for?.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe we should just provide a glossary pinned to the front page, SFL, FSW, CHO, RLC etc etc 😄

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, but I have a friend who is a big Spuds supporter, and she is absolutely gutted that we have Poch now.

She's also not Harry Kane's biggest fan which I found extraordinary (without stating the bleeding obvious).

It's a funny old game.

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Not to mention it would also go against largely what we've done here since the transfer structure was put in place properly. That said, we should be putting feelers out there to see who may be an option to fill that sort of role. 

It's all well and good going down the youth path but having some senior heads in each third can fill in the gaps. Of course, the harder part is picking the right ones. 

I'm sure I heard something about Sergej Milinkovic-Savic being linked to us in the media earlier or yesterday - can't remember where though? He could be the sort of profile that would be useful to us, wonder if there are any alternatives to him out there? 

33 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I'm sure I heard something about Sergej Milinkovic-Savic being linked to us in the media earlier or yesterday - can't remember where though? He could be the sort of profile that would be useful to us, wonder if there are any alternatives to him out there? 

If true, €40m would be a steal. Personally, I'm a big fan of his.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

There's no KFC pictured here, so highly doubtful tbh.... 😉

Bob - That's Kentucky Fried Chicken.

6 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Maybe we should just provide a glossary pinned to the front page, SFL, FSW, CHO, RLC etc etc 😄

Bob - Super Frankie Lampard, Fat Spanish Waiter, Calum Hudson-Odoi, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and et-cetra. 

Writing all of these out in full is not at all inconvenient or a waste of time.  

👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Bob - That's Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Bob - Super Frankie Lampard, Fat Spanish Waiter, Calum Hudson-Odoi, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and et-cetra. 

Writing all of these out in full is not at all inconvenient or a waste of time.  

👍

I think you'll find it was @Michael Tucker who asked not to use abbreviations, not me!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1