Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

7 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Too technical and yet we use AI to solve problems that stare us in the face . 

We can't defend set pieces as the data says we're not tall enough so we don't try to be better , it's futile. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

We can't defend set pieces as the data says we're not tall enough so we don't try to be better , it's futile. 

I know you're making the opposite point here, but in ways it actually is futile. 

If you're an under sized team as we are, the second shortest on average in the league this season, there are always going to be mismatches to be exploited and no amount of training, schemes or organisation is going to make up for it. Then of course you still have to have your playing being naturally strong in the air, because height and size alone isn't an automatic win either. 

It's an area that needs work across the board. We need to organise ourselves better, we lead a few more physical bodies to match up better, we need leadership, and just a couple who are genuinely strong in the air. We seem to have taken steps with recruiting a set piece coach for next season which is a start, however we need to fix the mismatch problems also.

Just now, xceleryx said:

I know you're making the opposite point here, but in ways it actually is futile. 

If you're an under sized team as we are, the second shortest on average in the league this season, there are always going to be mismatches to be exploited and no amount of training, schemes or organisation is going to make up for it. Then of course you still have to have your playing being naturally strong in the air, because height and size alone isn't an automatic win either. 

It's an area that needs work across the board. We need to organise ourselves better, we lead a few more physical bodies to match up better, we need leadership, and just a couple who are genuinely strong in the air. We seem to have taken steps with recruiting a set piece coach for next season which is a start, however we need to fix the mismatch problems also.

You're probably right 

Why bother 

It's working for Pochettino in every other aspect of the coaching set up .

Rondo's and running , the modern approach 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You're probably right 

Why bother 

It's working for Pochettino in every other aspect of the coaching set up .

Rondo's and running , the modern approach 

It's not always on the manager to coach these things in fairness. Like players, coaches also have their strengths and weaknesses.   You want the best candidate for that specific area to be doing the coaching. 

To quote Pep; 

“Today in modern football, set-pieces are really important,” the City manager said.

“We won in the FA Cup at Spurs with a corner and today we prepared with Carlos and Jack.

“I’m not involved with anything in set-pieces because I’m not good... or the other ones are better. I don’t have time I would say, and we are preparing things in the corners like every team does.

“Especially we prepared this free-kick and it worked.

“Kevin had to make a perfect pass, and Julian had to make the movement and it was a good finish from Alvarez.

“Someone had to come with the idea, and we are going to do this so all credit to Carlos and Jack.”

Now this is regarding attacking set pieces but the same concept applies when it comes to defending them.

Just now, xceleryx said:

It's not always on the manager to coach these things in fairness. Like players, coaches also have their strengths and weaknesses.   You want the best candidate for that specific area to be doing the coaching. 

To quote Pep; 

“Today in modern football, set-pieces are really important,” the City manager said.

“We won in the FA Cup at Spurs with a corner and today we prepared with Carlos and Jack.

“I’m not involved with anything in set-pieces because I’m not good... or the other ones are better. I don’t have time I would say, and we are preparing things in the corners like every team does.

“Especially we prepared this free-kick and it worked.

“Kevin had to make a perfect pass, and Julian had to make the movement and it was a good finish from Alvarez.

“Someone had to come with the idea, and we are going to do this so all credit to Carlos and Jack.”

Now this is regarding attacking set pieces but the same concept applies when it comes to defending them.

It's a good point but the Spacehopper initially pushed back against it in the press conference I saw .

I think Mo thinks he's all it.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a good point but the Spacehopper initially pushed back against it in the press conference I saw .

I think Mo thinks he's all it.

Coaches can be funny about who they work with, wouldn't be the first time a manager has pushed back about additional staff being added from outside of their circle. 

But hey, we'll see what happens I guess. Maybe Poch won't be here next season and it's a non-issue.

• Like 1

Interesting..I opened this morning with a notification that @Sciatika had reacted to a post of mine..always someone who's opinions I find important and relevant so I checked only to find it was one of my more thoughtful measured posts six months ago..(they do exist!)more optimistic or maybe hopefull than I recall.

Six months on the bubble of hope has burst and I have little belief that anything much will change as we go forward,,a little "natural" progress as injured players return and others find their feet in the EPL...BUT as I see it that is about the best I can hope for,,,the "style" will not change and we will watch the same games with a bit more team work etc and better individual performances but overall the same or slightly better points return and marginally better table position....noone will fear coming to SB or hosting Chelsea.....an awareness that Chelsea may give it a go and take the points but nothing above a normal acceptance of an opponents game on the day.

It hurts but in a resigned way.

Added after Marks post above..missing?🏀🏐🩺

Edited by chara
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, chara said:

Interesting..I opened this morning with a notification that @Sciatika had reacted to a post of mine..always someone who's opinions I find important and relevant so I checked only to find it was one of my more thoughtful measured posts six months ago..(they do exist!)more optimistic or maybe hopefull than I recall.

Six months on the bubble of hope has burst and I have little belief that anything much will change as we go forward,,a little "natural" progress as injured players return and others find their feet in the EPL...BUT as I see it that is about the best I can hope for,,,the "style" will not change and we will watch the same games with a bit more team work etc and better individual performances but overall the same or slightly better points return and marginally better table position....noone will fear coming to SB or hosting Chelsea.....an awareness that Chelsea may give it a go and take the points but nothing above a normal acceptance of an opponents game on the day.

It hurts but in a resigned way.

Added after Marks post above..missing?🏀🏐🩺

Loving the emojis 🇺🇸 🇬🇧🫡🩶💯

Just watched this. It doesn't make much sense of what he is saying at all. He wants Caicedo and Enzo to arrive and score Lamps style goals? And he keeps banging about that "we need to match our opponents in competetivenes first, before talking about tactics" I mean yeah......... but what about the tactics? the ones he talks about here  just seem so basic 😅

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bones said:

Just watched this. It doesn't make much sense of what he is saying at all. He wants Caicedo and Enzo to arrive and score Lamps style goals? And he keeps banging about that "we need to match our opponents in competetivenes first, before talking about tactics" I mean yeah......... but what about the tactics? the ones he talks about here  just seem so basic 😅

He makes himself look a bigger idiot the more he opens his mouth .

• Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 00:50, McCreadie said:

Last 10 games

Won 6 Drawn 3 Lost 1

We are not as **** as we used to be.

You reckon? 😉

Stats, as ever can mislead. Two wins against Championship teams in added-on time are in there. Draws against Burnley and at the time the most out of form team in the top leagues in Europe. Add to that yesterday’s woeful display.

I had a quick look around a few other Chelsea sites and the view that the coach has to go has massively swung. Is that the answer to all the woes? Of course not, but at least it’s the start - because this current one doesn’t look great. When most are saying times-up then generally most aren’t wrong. Third time lucky Todd? Or is your plan the crux of the issues.

I carefully watched the players body language yesterday and can say with a reasonable level of confidence that they knew they’d failed and probably knew why too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

I carefully watched the players body language yesterday and can say with a reasonable level of confidence that they knew they’d failed and probably knew why too.

Because they didn't execute some of the fundamental basics asked of them once again? 

Petrovic shouldn't have been beaten at the near post, that's now two blunders on his behalf in recent matches. Then we're exposed yet again because we're incapable of winning he first ball once it's put into the box.

Chalobah won 6 of 12 headers and Thiago Silva 3 of 5, that's just not good enough from a CB pairing. In a side that's already the second shortest in the league we just don't have the facilities to deal with the high ball. And when you let the opposition get the knock down it's going to cause problems 9/10 times, even if you've got the best coached team in the land. 

We're our own issue half the time through issues that stems beyond coaching.

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Petrovic shouldn't have been beaten at the near post, that's now two blunders on his behalf in recent matches. 

If we are to be fair and be as critical of Petrovich as we would have been with Sanchez and Kepa, then it's four mistakes in his last thre games.

Against Utd he came off his line for their third instead of staying on it for what would have been an easy save. Yesterday, he stayed on his line instead of coming out to narrow the angle for their second goal. After a fine start, he's now looking as big a liability as Sanchez and Kepa.😟

On 05/04/2024 at 00:50, McCreadie said:

Last 10 games

Won 6 Drawn 3 Lost 1

We are not as **** as we used to be.

You’re right. We’re worse. Those stats don’t give any context. I think that’s how we recruit players. Meaningless stats with no context.

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Pochettino: “At 52, you identify really quickly whether the team is ready to compete or not”. “Maybe this group is not mature enough to compete in games every three days”. “It's a new team and we are still learning about their profiles. The process always takes time”.

Still learning about their profiles? Is he having a laugh? What profile is he looking at exactly , the profile of Disasi shunted around the defence ? The profile of Chalobah being shunted around the defence ? The profile of having no left wing option with Sterling and Mudryk on the bench? The profile of playing Cole Palmer out of position? The profile of playing someone with the mobility of Steven Hawking as a box to box midfielder?

This absolutely reeks of someone who has pissed nine months up the wall  doing no coaching or proper organisational work and is now pointing the finger elsewhere to once again dodge his responsibility . 

Get the fat useless Spacehopper fuck out of my club , give the job to the first person who applies and it wouldn't , couldn't be any worse .

Mobility of Stephen Hawking 🤣🤣🤣💀💥

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

If we are to be fair and be as critical of Petrovich as we would have been with Sanchez and Kepa, then it's four mistakes in his last thre games.

Against Utd he came off his line for their third instead of staying on it for what would have been an easy save. Yesterday, he stayed on his line instead of coming out to narrow the angle for their second goal. After a fine start, he's now looking as big a liability as Sanchez and Kepa.😟

I've cut him some slack on that third goal vs Man Utd, it's not an easy position to be in when you know the attacker is virtually in behind the defence. If he stayed on his line he'd have likely been criticised for not coming out either, plus would've allowed the Utd attacker time to take a touch and fire a shot in anyway. 

Either way, he's having a bit of a rough time of it at late. Probably not helped by the constant changes ahead of him in defence, but a concern nonetheless. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Pochettino: “At 52, you identify really quickly whether the team is ready to compete or not”. “Maybe this group is not mature enough to compete in games every three days”. “It's a new team and we are still learning about their profiles. The process always takes time”.

I'm sick of hearing about this every 3 days bollocks. We are a Club with pedigree of maximising our total number of games in a season. This is a poor excuse to cover his crap coaching.

Then he tops it all off with this process bollocks, to try and fool us into thinking he is on an Arteta trajectory.

American McClowns get rid and own up to your mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You’re right. We’re worse. Those stats don’t give any context. I think that’s how we recruit players. Meaningless stats with no context.

We’ve only lost one of the last 11 now😆