Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

17 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Do you really think Poch is going to improve us to even top 6?

Well that would only take winning our game in hand and turning one single defeat against Forest into a win. It’s not a massive stretch to be honest, especially if we have a fit Nkunku, James, Lavia, Fofana etc. Good thing about next year is that there will be plenty of opportunities to improve our game on game points total 😆

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Well that would only take winning our game in hand and turning one single defeat against Forest into a win. It’s not a massive stretch to be honest, especially if we have a fit Nkunku, James, Lavia, Fofana etc. Good thing about next year is that there will be plenty of opportunities to improve our game on game points total 😆

Well we’ll see. I have my doubts tbh  👀💀💯

12 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

The top of the Premiership has moved on a lot in the last ten years and left Jose's style of football well behind. 

The top teams have to be brave home and away and go for it no matter who they are playing. Jose's only tactic when facing the good teams would be to park the bus and play shit on a stick football. Not only horrible to watch but it wouldn't actually get us anywhere fast. 7th or 8th playing embarrassingly horrible football.

Not for me, thanks!

I agree, but what I want from our next manager is the elite level winning mentality Jose gave us. I understand and agree that football has moved on a lot since Jose was a top level coach and he hasn’t developed with it (not many managers can adapt and move with the times), but if we can find someone that can have the influence he did in terms of the mentality at the club, I’ll be very pleased.

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

won 4, drew 5, lost 20 and conceded 63 goals in 29 PL games, are the stats for Lavia playing DM for Southampton. 

Are you sure he is the answer?

Liverpool signed Robertson from a lower league club. Good scouting is more than just looking at proven good players in good teams.  Gems can be found in rubbish teams. 

• Agree 4

19 hours ago, bertles86 said:

De Zerbi no odds on fave as next Chels manager. Not sure about him tbh. He's a mixed bag.

No...just another "good" coach...we need Gucci not Samsonite.......................

1 minute ago, chara said:

No...just another "good" coach...we need Gucci not Samsonite.......................

I’d respectfully add we need The Baddest Man on the Planet - Mike Tyson (Gus D’Amato version) and not Mary Poppins

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

I’d respectfully add we need The Baddest Man on the Planet - Mike Tyson (Gus D’Amato version) and not Mary Poppins

When I think back over the years and recall some of the,,say..."softer" players wearing a Chelsea shirt nearly,,if not all.... seem in memory much harder and tougher mentally and physically than the present squad overall.

Just OG rambling in the never was past ?...or anyone have an opinion?

11 minutes ago, chara said:

When I think back over the years and recall some of the,,say..."softer" players wearing a Chelsea shirt nearly,,if not all.... seem in memory much harder and tougher mentally and physically than the present squad overall.

Just OG rambling in the never was past ?...or anyone have an opinion?

No OG ramblings,

Reality is the club decided to build a team of potential or average players, signing on fee "probably in excess of £1m", doubling / quadrupling their wages, along with a pension contract. 

Therefore why should they stuck in when they all more than likely have outside interests and are guaranteed a weekly wage for 6-8 years regardless of how good or poor they are.

It's Winston Bogarde with an extra 3-5 years. 

26 minutes ago, east lower said:

Tyson was never really the baddest though! Incredible when he was on top but never fought back and won when the going got really tough.

I say that as someone who was a huge fan who thought he would go onto become the greatest heavy of all-time.

I lived in one of the first areas of the country which had cable tv and there was a channel which was showing his early fights when he was still a couple of years away from being known in this country. His speed, punch selection, accuracy  and head movement was something else!

Tyson  and Martina Hingis were the biggest sporting letdowns of my time watching sports.😟

@ROTG..it's the "get stuck in" issue that I find hard to understand..I appreciate that at the higher levels the Pro approach is far more pragmatic than at the lower levels but the competitive thing that all players must have just to want to play seems less a factor at Chelsea than it  used to be..the  (correct) cooments about Conor's application and approach to the game are seen almost as a singular effort on the pitch..bit unfair but... in my OG memory that approach was seen as a given,

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Tyson was never really the baddest though! Incredible when he was on top but never fought back and won when the going got really tough.

I say that as someone who was a huge fan who thought he would go onto become the greatest heavy of all-time.

I lived in one of the first areas of the country which had cable tv and there was a channel which was showing his early fights when he was still a couple of years away from being known in this country. His speed, punch selection, accuracy  and head movement was something else!

Tyson  and Martina Hingis were the biggest sporting letdowns of my time watching sports.😟

I think he was for a while, until he lost Gus and other positive influences on his life.

His book is quite a good read, quick sample  - no one could work out why Mike would burst out in tears before going out to fight. Eventually he told people why, he didn’t want to become the person he knew he had to become to get in the ring and destroy opponents. 

Just my opinion but he was the best heavyweight I’d seen in a good while but given what we all know now, was never going to be the greatest.

Tennis, just ain’t my thing. Nicknamed the Swiss Miss if I do recall correctly.

I think Poch is @Mark Kelly’s…💥💀🤣🤣

From 17 to 21 Tyson was the baddest heavyweight of all time in my opinion.  With his squat style and perfect build he got inside and threw the most explosive punches right from the soles of his feet. I'd never seen anything like it. 

He revelled in fighting taller fighters (they all were) as he sussed them all out.

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

I think he was for a while, until he lost Gus and other positive influences on his life.

His book is quite a good read, quick sample  - no one could work out why Mike would burst out in tears before going out to fight. Eventually he told people why, he didn’t want to become the person he knew he had to become to get in the ring and destroy opponents. 

Just my opinion but he was the best heavyweight I’d seen in a good while but given what we all know now, was never going to be the greatest.

Tennis, just ain’t my thing. Nicknamed the Swiss Miss if I do recall correctly.

Yep.  The death of Cus D'Amato was the catalyst for his downfall.  Up until then he had the perfect team in Cus, Teddy Atlas, Bill Clayton and later, Kevin Rooney. 

If he had stayed with them, he would have had the legacy he should have. 

Instead that racist scumbag Don King and his amateurish team muscled in with his anti-Semitic brain-washing and the rest is history. 

The first time Tyson ever got cut in a fight, under King, his corner didn't even have a cuts kit in the corner.  Absolute shambles.

He was my absolute idol until King, Robin Givens and his slide into self destruction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/04/2024 at 08:07, Chelsea_Matt said:

Do you really think Poch is going to improve us to even top 6? Or even provide a playing philosophy or identity? From what I’ve seen this season we should have just stuck with Potter, because I can’t see any real consistent improvement at all. 👀

I will add that I don't see Poch ever being capable of taking us higher than 4th, no matter how long he stays. Nor do I think the current squad is capable of going higher than that, even if they reach the potential they have. We'd need 2 or 3 more players of Palmer's level to be serious title challengers again, but over the next few years  its not an impossible task by means to find a couple of more high quality players.

Klopp leaving and potentially Pep leaving too in the next couple of years is going to make a significant difference in tightening the gap between them and the chasing pack.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

From 17 to 21 Tyson was the baddest heavyweight of all time in my opinion.  With his squat style and perfect build he got inside and threw the most explosive punches right from the soles of his feet. I'd never seen anything like it. 

He revelled in fighting taller fighters (they all were) as he sussed them all out.

Yep.  The death of Cus D'Amato was the catalyst for his downfall.  Up until then he had the perfect team in Cus, Teddy Atlas, Bill Clayton and later, Kevin Rooney. 

Instead that racist scumbag Don King and his amateurish team muscled in with his anti-Semitic brain-washing and the rest is history. 

The first time Tyson ever got cut in a fight, under King, his corner didn't even have a cuts kit in the corner.  Absolute shambles.

He was my absolute idol until King, Robin Givens and his slide into self destruction. 

Tyson was playing up while Gus was still alive. They always knew it was only a matter of time before the wheels came off. 

Also, Rooney later went to say other fighters before Douglas could have beaten Tyson had they not been intimidated and do nothing more than try to survive. I think Toney Tucker for one could have beaten Tyson had he let more punches go instead of trying to survive. He might have got knocked out but it would have significantly improved his chances of winning. Even the very limited and slow Bonecrusher Smith caused peak Tyson problems. Remember too that Tyson's punching power reduced a lot once he got past halfway. 

I think a primetime Larry Holmes (the most underrated of all-time)  would have absolutely  taken primetime  Tyson apart! 

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I will add that I don't see Poch ever being capable of taking us higher than 4th, no matter how long he stays. Nor do I think the current squad is capable of going higher than that, even if they reach the potential they have. We'd need 2 or 3 more players of Palmer's level to be serious title challengers again, but over the next few years  its not an impossible task by means to find a couple of more high quality players.

Klopp leaving and potentially Pep leaving too in the next couple of years is going to make a significant difference in tightening the gap between them and the chasing pack.

Maybe. Maybe not. I’ve no confidence in Todd ‘n’ Eggy to do anything right bro 👀😬💀🙈 

Edited by Chelsea_Matt

25 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

4th?

Is there another Poch I don't know about. 

No chance, absolutely no chance of him coaching any side to fourth. 

49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

4th?

Is there another Poch I don't know about. 

No chance, absolutely no chance of him coaching any side to fourth. 

Spurs and Villa are decent to good teams but nothing more than that! Very catchable if likes of us or a Utd get their acts together.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Tyson was playing up while Gus was still alive. They always knew it was only a matter of time before the wheels came off. 

Also, Rooney later went to say other fighters before Douglas could have beaten Tyson had they not been intimidated and do nothing more than try to survive. I think Toney Tucker for one could have beaten Tyson had he let more punches go instead of trying to survive. He might have got knocked out but it would have significantly improved his chances of winning. Even the very limited and slow Bonecrusher Smith caused peak Tyson problems. Remember too that Tyson's punching power reduced a lot once he got past halfway. 

I think a primetime Larry Holmes (the most underrated of all-time)  would have absolutely  taken primetime  Tyson apart! 

I'm not sure I buy the argument about opponents losing purely because they'd been intimidated. He was a wrecking machine for which nobody had an answer. 

Tucker, Green etc would have done well against almost every heavyweight back in the day in that golden era but he was still just too good. 

His downfall in the ring followed the meltdown outside of it.  

Good argument about Holmes though. I'd still take prime, snarling 20 year old Tyson though. 

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Liverpool signed Robertson from a lower league club. Good scouting is more than just looking at proven good players in good teams.  Gems can be found in rubbish teams. 

Another strawman

Robertson player 115 time for Hull with 57 PL appearances with Hull in the PL, also he cost £7m and not £50m and was a full back not a DM. 

One would say Lavia transfer is more akin to John Obi Mikel. The difference being Mikel was slowly integrated into a winning team and not a 50pts mid table team. 

19 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree, but what I want from our next manager is the elite level winning mentality Jose gave us. I understand and agree that football has moved on a lot since Jose was a top level coach and he hasn’t developed with it (not many managers can adapt and move with the times), but if we can find someone that can have the influence he did in terms of the mentality at the club, I’ll be very pleased.

How many managers out there are likely to have this level of impact though? Early days Mourinho was very much the exception and not the rule. We're probably unlikely to see another manager have the sort of immediate impact he had on transforming the entire mentality of not only the squad at the time, but also the club as a whole. 

I fear if that's the bar being set then there's never going to be true satisfaction.

6 hours ago, Ham said:

Imagine  MikeTyson in his Prime against Tyson(the gypsy king) Fury .

Mike Tyson would have knocked him out in the first round  Fury is lucky he is in a very weak division.

off topic I know but what has happened to American heavyweights?.

Edited by kev61

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

Imagine  MikeTyson in his Prime against Tyson(the gypsy king) Fury .

Mike Tyson would have knocked him out in the first round  Fury is lucky he is in a very weak division.

off topic I know but what has happened to American heavyweights?.

At least Fury gets up and wins after being knocked down. Tyson never once came back to win a fight when he was in trouble. Only ever won fights in which he was the clear favourites to win.  I'd only rate him the 4th best of his era behind Lewis, Bowe and Holyfield. I also think Vitali Klitchko would have beaten Tyson. He had an iron chin and would have been way to big and strong for Tyson. Vitali would have been able to take everything Tyson threw at him, then worn him down and stopped him in the last third of the fight. 

From that era, I think Bowe would have been the best had he had the discipline to stay away from the fridge in between fights. 

I do agree that the current heavweight division is a very poor one. Probably as poor as when Vlad Klitchko was champ.