Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

27 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Do we actually do payoffs? I thought we had to keep paying them their salary until they take a new job. Hence why the likes of Conte and Potter take their time before jumping into something else.

I don't know why we'd have to pay someone for a 4 year contract in full if we sack them after 1 year and they jump straight into another job.

Same contracts that the players have - they get their contracts paid up in full when transferred. The only way that doesn’t happen is when the player submits a transfer request - and that’s why players rarely submit a formal transfer request. Costs them millions in lost payments.

3 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

The other elephant in the room on changing the manager, we cannot afford another sideways or backwards step. It has to be a 100% positive step forward and improvement.

Who is available out there to achieve this? If anyone says De Zerbi I will lose my shit!

I look around right now and I keep coming back to one obvious candidate right now. I would not have said this 12 months back, but with more time and experience under his belt and regardless of what happens to Burnley this season, its hard not to be impressed how Kompany handles himself.

I like the cut of his jib. The fact he has been a recent elite level player is very much a positive in my view. He comes across very articulate and intelligent, he is measured and controlled and consistent is how he speaks and his philosophy of how he wants the game to be played. He showed great leadership as a player and that looks like it will continue as a manager.

Previously, I would have been concerned that elite level experienced players might not accept him. However, the facts are we don't have any elite level experienced players anymore, so I don't see that being an issue here right now.

He looks like he will move onto better things in the near future. He is the only obvious known candidate who is in a much lesser job and who we might be able to build a positive future around. We are still attractive to manage to some degree, but nowhere near as attractive as we were 3 years back, and this limits our options more than it has at any point in the last 15 years.

Revealed: Vincent Kompany called referee Darren England a 'f***ing cheat' multiple times in furious tirade at official after he gave Chelsea a penalty against Burnley in 2-2 draw last month

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Talks often about bravery but is a coward in footballing terms always more worried about what other teams can do to us than what we can do to them and picks the personnel accordingly , Gusto switched to left back against Palace , Gallagher switched to left wing to stop Kyle bloody Walker. 

Worse second half than first whenever he speaks to them at any length  they get worse not better 

Substitutions often actively worsening the side / outcome 

I'm really going off him 

Sigh...Mark back on the fence again!😉Back to being a voice in the wilderness without his support..or me for him!🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Anyone know why Poch didnt play Chalobah and Silva?

It think you meant why Poch ?..AS IN MANY WAYS...why did he? (ANYTHING) and just WHY?

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's amazing how a decent coach can sort things out so quickly isn't it?

Given the difference we all saw Tuchel make to what was generally a squad that were hard to motivate and willing to down tools at any time, I can't fathom how some of our fans still don't think a new Coach could completely change the feeling and performance level of this group. 

They're not all going to be world-beaters, fine.  But there's more than enough there (especially when more of them are fit) to be a much, much better side than we are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Given the difference we all saw Tuchel make to what was generally a squad that were hard to motivate and willing to down tools at any time, I can't fathom how some of our fans still don't think a new Coach could completely change the feeling and performance level of this group. 

They're not all going to be world-beaters, fine.  But there's more than enough there (especially when more of them are fit) to be a much, much better side than we are.

Three crap sides, Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth have all almost immediately been improved by hiring a proper coach with a handle on what the side needs to progress. 

Pochettino has been here all season, we score more goals now if I'm being charitable but that's it, in every other metric we have gone backwards. 

I'm just incredulous that some people cannot grasp the situation not in a nasty way just in pure bafflement it's so glaringly obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Three crap sides, Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth have all almost immediately been improved by hiring a proper coach with a handle on what the side needs to progress. 

Pochettino has been here all season, we score more goals now if I'm being charitable but that's it, in every other metric we have gone backwards. 

I'm just incredulous that some people cannot grasp the situation not in a nasty way just in pure bafflement it's so glaringly obvious. 

All three sides are very similar too in the way the set up and I don't mean shape or formations. 

All three of them are clearly very well drilled, compact, work hard and have players playing in their best positions.

It's amazing what can be achieved with a coach that gets the basics right, works hard on the training ground and sends out a balanced, well organised team on a match day.

• Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

All have midfielders I'd swap two of ours for.

Edited by east lower

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

All three sides are very similar too in the way the set up and I don't mean shape or formations. 

All three of them are clearly very well drilled, compact, work hard and have players playing in their best positions.

It's amazing what can be achieved with a coach that gets the basics right, works hard on the training ground and sends out a balanced, well organised team on a match day.

It still escapes me why he chose not to build the team from the back to the front.  How do you take a young group like this and just ignore shape, structure, organisation all season? It's completely amateur. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I can't fathom how some of our fans still don't think a new Coach could completely change the feeling and performance level of this group. 

A new coach, sure. 

Any new coach we could get, really doubt it.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still relatively small snapshots of time though in fairness. There has been plenty of managers that have a positive impact in a short period of time, but it can also fall apart just as quickly (Patrick Viera at Palace a recent example)

6 months ago many were happy to anoint De Zerbi as the new Pep (29 pts from his last 26 games incidentally). I did highlight this months back that Raiola layed out the blueprint for what to do against Brighton when Bournemouth lost there earlier this season, and currently De Zerbi is finding life a little more difficult when teams don't engage with the press against Brighton. If you don't try and play Basketball with Brighton, its not too difficult to get a decent result.

The three managers you name have all done well, but it is still a very short amount of time in the grand scheme of things. Bournemouth had something like 2pts from their first 7-8 games. Wolves have some very decent players, but are still up and down from one week to the next, whilst Glasner been there 5 minutes and just recently got on a positive run of wins.

The bit often overlooked here, considering the standings of the clubs involved. You would only expect 1-2 players from Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth to be good enough for Chelsea. The reality is that there are about 6-7 players from across those 3 clubs that actually improve this current Chelsea team!

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Well no , not "any" coach 

But most 

Not what I'm saying.

I can't see many coaches who a) are better than Pochettino and b) don't already have a better job, and even if we found someone better and realistically available, would these clowns employ them given some of the traits of a better coach are exactly what they seem to want to avoid?

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not what I'm saying.

I can't see many coaches who a) are better than Pochettino and b) don't already have a better job, and even if we found someone better and realistically available, would these clowns employ them given some of the traits of a better coach are exactly what they seem to want to avoid?

This is the dichotomy we find ourselves in , given the idiocy of those in charge of the procurement at the club , are there any guarantees they don't just offer the job to Southgate to garner some self gratifying cachet as "the man who landed the ex England manager for Chelsea" .

Personally , I think if Pochettino goes so should those two chancers with the laptops who think "Football Manager 2024" is real life.

Edited by Mark Kelly
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1