Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

59 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

To not have a tactic, is also a form of tactic 😁😁😁

We are reinventing football with our way of playing. This 'if we don't know what the feck we're  going to do from one minute to the next then neither will the opposition'  way of playing will surely start to pay dividends sooner or later. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

Not from what Ive seen! The club made a dreadful mistake giving the job to Poch, and it's now time to sort it out. 

Welcome back Michael.  It's been a while 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Thanks mate - I missed you guys too!

Was in hospital having one of my feet operated on. 

Sorry - bad choice of words there (“walkabout”).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

We should probably treat all reports from "inside" the club as potentially suspect. This one might be a "build-up to knock them down" from Nizaar Kinsella of the Express .... or not.

Chelsea FC players do not want Mauricio Pochettino to be sacked as manager faces crucial run-in | Evening Standard

I can believe this. I know a few don't want to give him any credit for the job he has done here, and some try to refute this claim too, but it's patently obvious that many of the players enjoy playing for him, and enjoy the spirit and environment he has created.

I made this comparison a couple of months back, and I feel even more convinced by it now. Poch feels very much like an Argentinian version of Harry Redknapp to me. He creates a positive culture and environment for the players to enjoy and express themselves, but he is probably lacking in tactical nous and structure to really elevate a team beyond a certain level.

Give him the tools required (a experienced spine with leadership) and I think he can probably create something here to get the club challenging for a top 4 position. Personally, I doubt he and his team have the ability to create anything more than that here.

I maintain that I believe there is some potential for long term gain by giving him another season here, but that is probably the maximum of his tenure at the club. Alternatively, we rip it up and kinda start again in the summer, with little confidence we actually progress in the short term. Either way, the next 6-8 games will be a massive factor in what we do in the summer.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Thanks mate - I missed you guys too!

Was in hospital having one of my feet operated on. 

Welcome back MT. I hope all is well.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

We should probably treat all reports from "inside" the club as potentially suspect. This one might be a "build-up to knock them down" from Nizaar Kinsella of the Express .... or not.

Chelsea FC players do not want Mauricio Pochettino to be sacked as manager faces crucial run-in | Evening Standard

It's depressing/amusing that the exact thing Pochettino brings to the role (not hanging players out to dry) is increasingly being framed as an issue. I never had him down as much of a tactician (all coaches doing their badges do the exact same training, so it really is only very few who are anything special or doing anything different) but did have him down as someone who drilled patterns of play into a squad during coaching. Clearly he has not done that, or at least not found a way to do it with this lot successfully. But going in hard on this squad would be worse than pointless, and I think we'd have had an even worse season if we'd had a more old school or disciplinarian type in charge. If we get a different coach in, it's still going to have to be someone who the arm-round-shoulder approach comes naturally to.

The players like a holiday camp atmosphere, they'll do the tough stuff when they move onto proper clubs to win things but for now they just want to enjoy themselves, the time for really  trying is later. Bless. 

Maybe Pochettino can get some big boys in who don't need to be coached who can do all the organising that he should be doing and get some better results and a longer contract?

It doesn't really matter if many of the players are regressing under his tutelage, I mean Monaco had the fourth best defensive record in France with Disasi and Badiashile at the centre of it, they also beat PSG three times out of four times but in fairness PSG were handicapped at the time so... 

Think of the pride we'll feel when Mudryk and Madueke push on at their new clubs and become really invaluable players there, imagine the happiness when Palmer wins the league at Liverpool or United. A real achievement. 

Give him another three years, hell, make it five let him have a real project to get his teeth into. There's so many places we haven't been for years like Blackburn, Huddersfield, Northampton. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's depressing/amusing that the exact thing Pochettino brings to the role (not hanging players out to dry) is increasingly being framed as an issue. I never had him down as much of a tactician (all coaches doing their badges do the exact same training, so it really is only very few who are anything special or doing anything different) but did have him down as someone who drilled patterns of play into a squad during coaching. Clearly he has not done that, or at least not found a way to do it with this lot successfully. But going in hard on this squad would be worse than pointless, and I think we'd have had an even worse season if we'd had a more old school or disciplinarian type in charge. If we get a different coach in, it's still going to have to be someone who the arm-round-shoulder approach comes naturally to.

I agree completely here. That's why any calls for  a Conte, Mourinho type figure are way off the mark with what is required now.

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The players like a holiday camp atmosphere, they'll do the tough stuff when they move onto proper clubs to win things but for now they just want to enjoy themselves, the time for really  trying is later. Bless. 

Maybe Pochettino can get some big boys in who don't need to be coached who can do all the organising that he should be doing and get some better results and a longer contract?

It doesn't really matter if many of the players are regressing under his tutelage, I mean Monaco had the fourth best defensive record in France with Disasi and Badiashile at the centre of it, they also beat PSG three times out of four times but in fairness PSG were handicapped at the time so... 

Think of the pride we'll feel when Mudryk and Madueke push on at their new clubs and become really invaluable players there, imagine the happiness when Palmer wins the league at Liverpool or United. A real achievement. 

Give him another three years, hell, make it five let him have a real project to get his teeth into. There's so many places we haven't been for years like Blackburn, Huddersfield, Northampton. 

I can't say I know of their record when at Monaco, but it would be interesting to know if these two were a regular partnership in this best defensive record you mention. The french football writers I have heard talk about them both, suggested that despite them being good friends, and having that left side /right side balance that has become a recent trend, their partnership was never one that looked solid. Based on this, I would imagine a little deeper digging may show that they were not the defensive partnership that Monacoo were based upon, or there were others factors at play which had an influence in this.

Edited by Thiago97

6 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I agree completely here. That's why any calls for  a Conte, Mourinho type figure are way off the mark with what is required now.

I can't say I know of their record when at Monaco, but it would be interesting to know if these two were a regular partnership in this best defensive record you mention. The french football writers I have heard talk about them both, suggested that despite them being good friends, and having that left side /right side balance that has become a recent trend, their partnership was never one that looked solid. Based on this, I would imagine a little deeper digging may show that they were not the defensive partnership that Moncao were based upon.

FROM AS MONACO WEBSITE:

Badiashile and Disasi are among the best attacking defenders!

AS Monaco's two central defenders are ranked among the best among defenders in Europe's Top 5 leagues in terms of their attacking involvement.
It is often said that defenders are the first part of an attack. And in this case, it’s not just a saying, it’s a reality. In fact, two of AS Monaco’s center backs, Benoît Badiashile and Axel Disasi, are among the best center backs in Europe’s Top 5 leagues in terms of advancing play. According to figures compiled by two accounts specializing in the study of data, StatsBomb and Fbref, the two Monegasques are at the top of the pile in two very specific statistics.

Best forward passer in Europe
The Academy-trained French U-21 international (10 caps) is indeed the player across the five big leagues who averages the most forward passes per game. With just over six  per match, he is ahead of players such as Eric Garcia (FC Barcelona), Pau Torres (Villareal), Lucas Hernández (Bayern Munich) and Aymeric Laporte (Manchester City). Called up again by Sylvain Ripoll this November for the team’s two qualifying matches for Euro 2023, he was even the best Monegasque recently against Eindhoven at the Stade Louis-II, winning all of his duels.

Axel Disasi, Mr. Attack
He has also just marked 100 professional matches with AS Monaco, despite being only 20 years old. It’s a promising start for a player who was on the long list for the 2021 Golden Boy award. His partner in central defence, Axel Disasi is no slouch either. The Rouge et Blanc‘s vice-captain since last season, the former Reims man ranks sixth among Top 5 center backs in terms of forward runs. With seven on average per match, the Monegasque number 6 has similar levels to players like Rúben Dias (Manchester City) and Joël Matip (Liverpool). Not bad.

If you get forward more, it's easier to defend your goal and create attacking chances on the counter. And if you lose the ball that's okay, but you have to put the pressure on right away, as we did last season. I want us to be in the middle of the action.
Niko Kovac
Manager, AS Monaco
These are all encouraging figures, which prove that Monegasque defenders are capable of bringing significant added value to the collective in terms of getting forward. This is good, as it is precisely one of the points which Niko Kovac had recently emphasized in a press conference: “If you get forward more, it’s easier to defend and create chances on the counter.” From words to deeds

—---------------------------------------------------------

Pochettino has destroyed them, let's give him more players to work his magic on. 

Let's not, let's get in a coach 

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd find articles that say similar things about Mudryk too 

In my opinion younger players need a fatherly approach that Pochettino definitely provides but they also require structure to operate in to the best of their abilities and he doesn't offer that at all, it's all vibes and hard running 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

🍋 in the office and an even bigger one on the training ground. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FROM AS MONACO WEBSITE:

AS Monaco's two central defenders are ranked among the best among defenders in Europe's Top 5 leagues in terms of their attacking involvement.
It is often said that defenders are the first part of an attack. And in this case, it’s not just a saying, it’s a reality. In fact, two of AS Monaco’s center backs, Benoît Badiashile and Axel Disasi, are among the best center backs in Europe’s Top 5 leagues in terms of advancing play. According to figures compiled by two accounts specializing in the study of data, StatsBomb and Fbref, the two Monegasques are at the top of the pile in two very specific statistics.

Best forward passer in Europe
The Academy-trained French U-21 international (10 caps) is indeed the player across the five big leagues who averages the most forward passes per game. With just over six  per match, he is ahead of players such as Eric Garcia (FC Barcelona), Pau Torres (Villareal), Lucas Hernández (Bayern Munich) and Aymeric Laporte (Manchester City). Called up again by Sylvain Ripoll this November for the team’s two qualifying matches for Euro 2023, he was even the best Monegasque recently against Eindhoven at the Stade Louis-II, winning all of his duels.

Axel Disasi, Mr. Attack
He has also just marked 100 professional matches with AS Monaco, despite being only 20 years old. It’s a promising start for a player who was on the long list for the 2021 Golden Boy award. His partner in central defence, Axel Disasi is no slouch either. The Rouge et Blanc‘s vice-captain since last season, the former Reims man ranks sixth among Top 5 center backs in terms of forward runs. With seven on average per match, the Monegasque number 6 has similar levels to players like Rúben Dias (Manchester City) and Joël Matip (Liverpool). Not bad.

If you get forward more, it's easier to defend your goal and create attacking chances on the counter. And if you lose the ball that's okay, but you have to put the pressure on right away, as we did last season. I want us to be in the middle of the action.
Niko Kovac
Manager, AS Monaco
These are all encouraging figures, which prove that Monegasque defenders are capable of bringing significant added value to the collective in terms of getting forward. This is good, as it is precisely one of the points which Niko Kovac had recently emphasized in a press conference: “If you get forward more, it’s easier to defend and create chances on the counter.” From words to deeds

—---------------------------------------------------------

Pochettino has destroyed them, let's give him more players to work his magic on. 

Let's not, let's get in a coach 

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd find articles that say similar things about Mudryk too 

In my opinion younger players need a fatherly approach that Pochettino definitely provides but they also require structure to operate in to the best of their abilities and he doesn't offer that at all, it's all vibes and hard running 

I don't really see what is being said here. Allowing for some areas maybe lost in translation, it constantly refers to them as attacking defenders.I guess they mean proactive defenders who play out from the back and build up play. 

Badiashille is a curious case. I am really not sure what has gone on there, cos he looks a shadow of the player we seen last season. Could be injury, confidence shot after mistakes (his mistakes lets not forget), something in the background we don't know about.

Disasi has not been destroyed. He is a steady PL level CB, if Disasi had been signed by Wolves, Everton, Fulham for say £20million, I doubt many Chelsea fans would even have noticed him this season.

I had a quick look into them playing together and notice they did make a good 30+ plus appearances the season before Badiashille joined, but so did a Chilean CB, and so did two fullbacks/wingbacks.........so that great defensive foundation we went and signed, could well have been padded by being in a back three and in a low scoring league.......you would hope the people we employ to look at players like this, take some of the context into the equation!

The french league is not really known for being a high scoring league, compared with PL and Bundesliga. 

FROM AS MONACO WEBSITE:

Was this before or after their scout Stewart jumped ship and got promoted to one of Chelsea's sporting directors?