Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

Proud-Blue

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you please define what you think Pochettino is doing on the training pitch that is worthy of praise then? 

Half our players are injured and the rest don't appear to know what to do other than wing it. 

If Poch get 54 points he done an outstanding job with a squad put together by a couple of scouts. 

Poch did not buy players injured or with a serious injury history. That's down to the scouts who seem immune from criticism by some on here. 

+70 pts team on paper according to the scouts, 50 pts in reality 

Edited by ROTG

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

There's an agenda against Poch just as there was against Rafa,  and you know it!

Why would any fan have an agenda against Poch?....oh! I get it he managed Spurs.... ridiculous.

The people on here who are making the argument the Poch is not good for our club have no agenda that I can see( but maybe I'm naive).

If I could see some sort tactical nous I would stand up and  defend him...I can't sorry.

He talks nonsense after a game  that confirms to me he is nonsensical to the players.

Edited by kev61
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

If I could see some sort tactical nous I would stand up and  defend him...I can't sorry.

How did we outclass 4th place Villa twice at their own ground this season? Get two draws against City and push them to the wire in a third game. Be 20 goals up against  Arsenal and be clearly the better team for 75 minuets. Thrssh Newcastle. Beat Utd for the first time in years.  Draw against Liverpool and should have beat them in the Cup final. No team can get those results and performances against the top teams without being set up properly. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ROTG said:

If Poch get 54 points he done an outstanding job with a squad put together by a couple of scouts. 

Poch did not buy players injured or with a serious injury history. That's down to the scouts who seem immune from criticism by some on here. 

+70 pts team on paper according to the scouts, 50 pts in reality 

The expected points total is just a number plucked out of the air.

How can we say with any degree of accuracy what a unproven squad of players should be hitting, especially when it's had so many injuries and not been able to field it's best starting line up once this season.

Just look at our entire squad and see who's proven themselves as top quality premiership players - retiring Silva. Past it Sterling. Constantly injured Chilwell and James who's injured even more often. That's it!  The rest are an unproven bunch of random young  players thrown together in a mad rush. All we can say is that the squad has the potential to grow into a quality team in the coming seasons.

Edited by boratsbrother

10 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

He did a brilliant job under very difficult circumstances! Also held himself together with great dignity.

I just don’t understand the hate against Benitez. To do so because of the Liverpool stuff I think is a bit juvenile imo. For me he’s a really, really good coach, a top professional and did very well for us. We won a trophy and finished in the CL places. What more did everyone want? 

20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

How did we outclass 4th place Villa twice at their own ground this season? Get two draws against City and push them to the wire in a third game. Be 20 goals up against  Arsenal and be clearly the better team for 75 minuets. Thrssh Newcastle. Beat Utd for the first time in years.  Draw against Liverpool and should have beat them in the Cup final. No team can get those results and performances against the top teams without being set up properly. 

D'you know , with nothing more explanatory than "feels" you've convinced me . 

Forza Mauricio !

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I just don’t understand the hate against Benitez. To do so because of the Liverpool stuff I think is a bit juvenile imo. For me he’s a really, really good coach, a top professional and did very well for us. We won a trophy and finished in the CL places. What more did everyone want? 

Imagine sacking a legend who had just won you the champions league and replacing him with a man that called us fans plastic. He was constantly having digs at us when he was at Liverpool and that rivalry was probably the most fierce I have ever experienced. 

It's easy to sit at home wondering why, not a dig at you at all by the way, I have no idea if you do or don't go to games, but to be there at the time, it wasn't just one or two it was almost the entire fan base at games. It was pure hatred, and rightly so.

Edited by martin1905
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

And on the flipside of that coin: 

Newcastle A - lost 1-4 

Arsenal A - lost 0-5

Liverpool A - lost 1-4 

Wolves A - Lost 1-2 

Wolves H - Lost 2-4 

Burnley H - drew 2-2 

Sheff Utd A - drew 2-2 

Brentford H - lost 0-2 

Everton A - lost 0-2 

He's been out-planned and out-thought on plenty of occasions. We've been found wanting when it comes to sound team selections and tactical approaches far too often and we've conceded more goals than we ever have in a PL season before. 

If we were set up properly, that would not be a possibility.  It just wouldn't. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

And on the flipside of that coin: 

Newcastle A - lost 1-4 

Arsenal A - lost 0-5

Liverpool A - lost 1-4 

Wolves A - Lost 1-2 

Wolves H - Lost 2-4 

Burnley H - drew 2-2 

Sheff Utd A - drew 2-2 

Brentford H - lost 0-2 

Everton A - lost 0-2 

He's been out-planned and out-thought on plenty of occasions. We've been found wanting when it comes to sound team selections and tactical approaches far too often and we've conceded more goals than we ever have in a PL season before. 

If we were set up properly, that would not be a possibility.  It just wouldn't. 

No argument that we haven't been rubbish as well. But imho, it's a lot harder to start being  consistently competetive against the top teams (which we have been this season) than it is to fix the problems we've had against the teams we should be beating. 

As for the poor results against the top teams. We were awful against Newcastle away. Liverpool just hit their absolute top form and were simply too good for us. Their fans say it was the best they played this season, so a top of the table team on peak form being far too good for a midtabld team isn't something unexpected or unacceptable. As for the recent Arsenal game. I thought we recovrted very well after a bad start in the first half. Even the commentators were giving us credit for our play after that bad start and going a goal down. We crumbled after the second which was obviously disappointing.

Wolves were the better team both games. We were just very flat against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Everton. Awful against Brentford.

As I keep saying. There is progress but also still a lot to improve on and given another year I am more than hopeful we'll be at least top 6 next season. I'd be very surprised if we didn't finish top 6 and Poch would fully deserve to be sacked if we fail to get that top 6. 

My question is this.

Poch tookover with the club in a mess both on and off the pitch.

Did anyone expect him or any  manager to come in and sort all the problems out in one season and in that season not once be able to field his best team?  

Edited by boratsbrother

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I don't understand how a Chelsea fan does not understand the fans' antipathy to Benitez.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Imagine sacking a legend who had just won you the champions league and replacing him with a man that called us fans plastic. He was constantly having digs at us when he was at Liverpool and that rivalry was probably the most fierce I have ever experienced. 

It's easy to sit at home wondering why, not a dig at you at all by the way, I have no idea if you do or don't go to games, but to be there at the time, it wasn't just one or two it was almost the entire fan base at games. It was pure hatred, and rightly so.

It wasn’t Benitez’s fault Jose was sacked. A lot of managers make digs, so what? And hatred is a pathetic, destructive emotion imo. NOT aimed at you personally mate. 

52 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I don't understand how a Chelsea fan does not understand the fans' antipathy to Benitez.

I get it I just don’t agree with it. And I  don’t understand how a Chelsea fan doesn’t understand what Benitez achieved. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

He was a tosser , hated us , took every chance afforded him to make digs at the club, tried to get our players banned and then took the shilling . 

Nothing to do with Liverpool for me , he's just unlikable .

Yeah but my point is that imo he did really well for us. That’s all. 👀

Behave. 
RDM was never going to defend or take the club forward . 

in retro spec TDM, TFSW hires were not different to TT being hired.  

All took over the team turned the teams fortunes around and 

20 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

My dislike of him does not go as far as to say he doesn't know what he's doing as a coach as he clearly does < I saw him interviewed years ago and he came across as quite nice but actions speak louder than words 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Behave. 
RDM was never going to defend or take the club forward . 

in retro spec TDM, TFSW hires were not different to TT being hired.  

All took over the team turned the teams fortunes around and 

Behave?

It's not about whether or not we would have progressed under RDM, he should never have been given the contract extension in the first place, it's about who we replaced him with and how it was done.

You do not sack a Chelsea legend, less than 6 months after winning the Champions league for the first time in your history and replace him with that man.

Trust me, the vast majority of match day fans felt exactly the same and literally all the away fans, there were games when we would spend an hour singing 'we don't care about Rafa' . This isn't a difference of opinion on a forum between a couple of random people,  the Chelsea fan base, as a whole absolutely hated Benitez and he should never have even been considered. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I still think that had he tried to build a few bridges with the fanbase when he walked in and gone on to win that CWC and a frankly shoe-in League Cup to go with the Europa League win, he'd probably have got the gig full-time, likely won over quite a few with on-pitch success and probably done OK here. 

The fact that he didn't achieve those trophy wins and also made no effort to engage with the fans meant Roman was never going forward with him.  

It's odd too, all he really had to do was address fully it in the first press conference "Look, I know I said some stuff but it was the heat of a very real rivalry and sometimes we say things we look back on and wish we hadn't.  I'm here to try to do a good job for Chelsea and we'll be a much better team if the fans can support the players" or something along those lines and I think most could at least have looked at it with an air of giving him a chance to do the job.  

But he didn't do that and actively even tried to sit himself above us, so it's no shock he was never accepted.

AND...TFSW tried to marginalise SFL and JT....... he was greatly disliked across the fan base...an instinctive, almost, emotion with nothing based on coaching ability, The arguments against The Poch rarely if ever include personal dislike comments,,it;s The Football related issues !!!!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Behave?

It's not about whether or not we would have progressed under RDM, he should never have been given the contract extension in the first place, it's about who we replaced him with and how it was done.

You do not sack a Chelsea legend, less than 6 months after winning the Champions league for the first time in your history and replace him with that man.

Trust me, the vast majority of match day fans felt exactly the same and literally all the away fans, there were games when we would spend an hour singing 'we don't care about Rafa' . This isn't a difference of opinion on a forum between a couple of random people,  the Chelsea fan base, as a whole absolutely hated Benitez and he should never have even been considered. 

You are right he was not the most popular appointment, however in the clubs hour of need he was the best available. Like Guus before him and Tommy after him.  

Difference now is I doubt any coach with the credentials of the above mentioned, would come anywhere near this club under the current set up and playing staff. 

Edited by ROTG

4 minutes ago, chara said:

AND...TFSW tried to marginalise SFL and JT....... he was greatly disliked across the fan base...an instinctive, almost, emotion with nothing based on coaching ability, The arguments against The Poch rarely if ever include personal dislike comments,,it;s The Football related issues !!!!

He put silverware on the table or should we scratch that one out because it was TFSW?

I did not want him, however in his short time he turned the club around and won the Europa cup after the  RDM fiasco.  

5 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Poch took over with the club in a mess both on and off the pitch.

No he didn't , he took over a club who'd got rid of all the lollygagging players , let those who weren't engaged going forward leave and then bought what were perceived to be the creme de la creme of upcoming talent . He had a clean slate from day one!

He hit the ground running in that so important pre season , got everyone firing and then promptly shit the bed first game of the season where his ingrained loser yellow streak got the better of him .

Since then he's done nothing other than improve the vibes , it's been a disastrous showing from the man and he's hung young players out to dry and let them make all their mistakes in the gimlet eye of the public making them look worse than they are and then had the audacity to allude he'd deigned to come here even though we weren't the ideal job for a man of his talents.

Our players are better than he helps them to be . 

Things are at a head now where because he's run them down so far almost the only thing we have to hang onto is to allow him to keep his job as we're now scared it'll get even worse if we change coaches.

Top work 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

No he didn't , he took over a club who'd got rid of all the lollygagging players , let those who weren't engaged going forward leave and then bought what were perceived to be the creme de la creme of upcoming talent . He had a clean slate from day one!

He hit the ground running in that so important pre season , got everyone firing and then promptly shit the bed first game of the season where his ingrained loser yellow streak got the better of him .

Since then he's done nothing other than improve the vibes , it's been a disastrous showing from the man and he's hung young players out to dry and let them make all their mistakes in the gimlet eye of the public making them look worse than they are and then had the audacity to allude he'd deigned to come here even though we weren't the ideal job for a man of his talents.

Things are at a head now where because he's run them down so far almost the only thing we have to hang onto is to allow him to keep his job as we're now scared it'll get even worse if we change coaches.

Top work 

As one of his biggest critics Mark, put some meat on the bones with what Poch has to do next season to prove you wrong ?

Obviously , this depends on him being here next season. Let’s put some lines in the sand.

It’s easy to throw criticism out there, as in many scenarios, it’s positioned in a manner where the anti’s can only be proven correct . The positives get glossed over and it’s the players, the negatives highlighted to be the manager. So what does he have to do to prove you wrong , if he was to get a 2nd season here ?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Top work 

You keep saying the players are better than the form says, however should poch go they have got through 3 coaches in 18 months.  

one would suspect the squad build by a couple of coaches is the problem. E.g the Monaco CB pairing, there nearly £100m spunked 

Edited by ROTG

29 minutes ago, chara said:

You surely don’t believe this ? I accept with some it will be results /performances, but some have also openly admitted it is personal with Poch. We had people on here wanting him gone after 6 games! That is not due to results and performances, when the guy had not been here long enough to found his way around Cobham !