Squad Status: 2023/24 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I also don't think we should be signing another young striker that might eventually be good enough, we already have enough of those. Better to sign someone that is definitely good enough, or if that player doesn't exist or isn't obtainable, keep our powder dry for the future.

I agree, I think we need to sign a proper experienced striker to lead the line and get the ball in the back of the net. The problem is, I just don't know if that player exists at the moment. It could be another season where goals are few and far between.

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree, I think we need to sign a proper experienced striker to lead the line and get the ball in the back of the net. The problem is, I just don't know if that player exists at the moment. It could be another season where goals are few and far between.

He does. Unpopular but he's training with the U21s.

It's amazing how the mood has changed in the space of a few weeks , the injuries to Nkunku , James , Chuk haven't helped as has the dreadful second half against a rotten West Ham side . Personally I think as green as Broja is we should be signing a classic number 10 to deputise for Nkunku rather than a 9 as Jackson has already shown he can lead the line . Broja deputising for Jackson to at least give him an opportunity to impress ,  even though I don't believe he'll make it here personally. 

If we give Arsenal £50m for a player they don't rate who's stats are padded with penalties then we are finished as a sporting organisation and Stewart and Winstanley may as well be put on gardening leave until their contracts are up so I hope the rumours about Balogun (sp) are just that , rumours. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

He does. Unpopular but he's training with the U21s.

It's pretty much a non-starter though, if what we're told has any truth to it, as he doesn't want to play for us again and the club don't want him to either. I also think it would take a little while to get him up to the required fitness, form and match sharpness we'd need and by then he'll be ready to move on to a new club in January.

56 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's amazing how the mood has changed in the space of a few weeks , the injuries to Nkunku , James , Chuk haven't helped as has the dreadful second half against a rotten West Ham side . Personally I think as green as Broja is we should be signing a classic number 10 to deputise for Nkunku rather than a 9 as Jackson has already shown he can lead the line . Broja deputising for Jackson to at least give him an opportunity to impress ,  even though I don't believe he'll make it here personally. 

If we give Arsenal £50m for a player they don't rate who's stats are padded with penalties then we are finished as a sporting organisation and Stewart and Winstanley may as well be put on gardening leave until their contracts are up so I hope the rumours about Balogun (sp) are just that , rumours. 

I think the injuries are a big part of the mood change, as you say, especially the Nkunku one as he was expected to be our big signing set to make the difference and then days before we got started, we lost him for half the season, it is a massive blow as Poch would have been planning so much around him.

The West Ham result and parts of the performance are frustrating, but for me personally, I'm not letting it get to me for now as I think we will have games like that throughout this season due to such a lack of experience running through our squad, it's if we put together a run of performances and results like that, that would worry me.

Agree with Balogun, he is not the type of player we should be signing. For me, it's either a proven and experienced player who can almost guarantee us goals this season or nobody at all.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It's pretty much a non-starter though, if what we're told has any truth to it, as he doesn't want to play for us again and the club don't want him to either. I also think it would take a little while to get him up to the required fitness, form and match sharpness we'd need and by then he'll be ready to move on to a new club in January.

The quote from Romano initially pre-dated nobody coming in for Lukaku.  The situation has changed and it's more and more likely that he'll stay with us. 

He's been training with the U21s and so his fitness should be ok. 

The club and Lukaku could be backed into a corner. 

Also, and I know we all joke about his weight but in reality he's almost entirely muscle. He's just massive. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The quote from Romano initially pre-dated nobody coming in for Lukaku.  The situation has changed and it's more and more likely that he'll stay with us. 

He's been training with the U21s and so his fitness should be ok. 

The club and Lukaku could be backed into a corner. 

Also, and I know we all joke about his weight but in reality he's almost entirely muscle. He's just massive. 

To be honest, my main concern would be his attitude, will he genuinely give his all for the club? I doubt it.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

To be honest, my main concern would be his attitude, will be genuinely give his all for the club? I doubt it.

The way poch sets up team and the service he would get, he would be the total opposite, “a pig in poop comes to mind”  after the WC and this summer he has a point to prove. 

Edited by ROTG

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

One bad apple can ruin the whole basket. This is a very apt way of thinking of it. 

He can plant seeds in the first team without being part of it. They all train at cobham and one would suspect he is part of the players whatApp group, who know who meets who after training?

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

The way poch sets up team and the service he would get, he would be the total opposite, “a pig in poop comes to mind”  after the WC and this summer he has a point to prove. 

With respect..Lukaku has had a point to make at Chelsea from day one and has yet to make it.... without getting into any ability arguments..Kepa dragged himself back from a personal and professional slump...something I admire greatly....imho Lukaku has always seemed to me a weak spine sort of chap. Flat track bully but not one to get in where it hurts...... all true football fans recognise the brave and committed players and the less committed...Werner didn't lose the fans hopes because he "tried"..less so Ziyech..as a lazy example from me.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, chara said:

With respect..Lukaku has had a point to make at Chelsea from day one and has yet to make it.... without getting into any ability arguments..Kepa dragged himself back from a personal and professional slump...something I admire greatly....imho Lukaku has always seemed to me a weak spine sort of chap. Flat track bully but not one to get in where it hurts...... all true football fans recognise the brave and committed players and the less committed...Werner didn't lose the fans hopes because he "tried"..less so Ziyech..as a lazy example from me.

Not going to argue, however his CV says he scores goals, which I was in poch shoes would utilise.  Especially with the current alleged injury problems and the fact he’s a £300k per week asset at his disposal. Or has football transitioned in to 90’s  being wannabes and Girl power “player power”. If you get my drift. 

Edited by ROTG
I could tell you what you want, don’t tell me what you want.

With 36 hours to go, it looks like:

GK (3) - Sanchez, Petrovic, Bettinelli

DEF (9) - James**, Gusto, Chilwell, Maatsen, Colwill, Badiashile, Silva, Disasi, Chalobah*

MID (5) - Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, Gallagher*, Ugochukwu*

AM (5) - Sterling, Madueke, Mudryk, Carney**, Nkunku**

CF (3) - Jackson, Broja, Burstow*

That's 25 without Fofana and Cucurella. 22 outfield players.

*linked away

** currently injured (longer term)

If we sign Palmer (or similar) and Burstow goes on loan, that looks there or thereabouts to me. Maybe room for a defender / midfielder to depart either on loan or permanent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

DEF (9) - James**, Gusto, Chilwell, Maatsen, Colwill, Badiashile, Silva, Disasi, Chalobah*

*linked away

If we sign Palmer (or similar) and Burstow goes on loan, that looks there or thereabouts to me. Maybe room for a defender / midfielder to depart either on loan or permanent

I definitely think we are a striker short (in quality) and perhaps an attacking midfielder. If those two would come in I’d send both Broja and Burstow out on loan. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

I definitely think we are a striker short (in quality) and perhaps an attacking midfielder. If those two would come in I’d send both Broja and Burstow out on loan. 

36 hours to get 2 deals done........will be tough, but I fully expect one to happen 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I would expect we sign someone that can play at number 10 or on the right wing. I hope that Humphries and Burstow will be allowed to go out on loan (along with a few others) as they will hardly play, especially if Badiashile, Chalobah and Broja will be available after the international break.

54 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

A bit unfair on Broja.  Worth giving him a run with our current side. We've missed a Costa type player and he's got it in him if you ask me. 

Don't judge him on the previous spell amongst non-creative players and under-par coaching. 

18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

*linked away

Update, assuming Palmer signs today

AM (6) - Sterling, Madueke, Mudryk, Carney**, Nkunku**, Palmer

That's 26 without Fofana and Cucurella, and with Nkunku, James and Carney out for the medium/long  term. 23 outfield players (20 fit and avaialble)

The average age of the outfield players for that squad is 22. Good and bad IMO. Good, or great for the medium to long term, but I do fear a slight of experience may cost us in certain games.

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 2

So this seems to be the squad for the 2023/24 season (well at least until January…)

GK: Sanchez (25), Petrovic (23), Bettinelli (31)

RB: James (23), Gusto (20)

LB: Chilwell (26), Maatsen (21), Cucurella (25)

CB: Silva (38), Disasi (25), Colwill (20), Badiashile (22), Chalobah (24) and injured Fofana (22)

CM: Enzo (22), Caicedo (21), Gallagher (23), Lavia (19), Ugochukwu (19)

AM: Sterling (28), Nkunku (25), Madueke (21), Mudryk (22), Chukwuemeka (19), Palmer (21)

S: Jackson (22), Broja (21)

27 players. That’s some distance from the 22-25 incl goalkeepers and young players Poch has mentioned during the pre-season. Injuries may have played a part, Fofana and Nkunku being out long term and other injuries causing problems. Don’t envision Cucurella, Broja and Ugochukwu getting much playing time and Fofana is out indefinitely imo with Chuk also a long-term injury. So maybe we are closer to 22-23 in reality… 

Average age: 23,25

Edited by Sleeping Dave

5 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So this seems to be the squad for the 2023/24 season (well at least until January…)

CB: Silva (38), Disasi (25), Colwill (20), Badiashile (22), Chalobah (24) and injured Fofana (22)

AM: Sterling (28), Nkunku (25), Madueke (21), Mudryk (22), Chukwuemeka (19), Palmer (21)

27 players. That’s some distance from the 22-25 incl goalkeepers and young players Poch has mentioned during the pre-season. Injuries may have played a part, Fofana and Nkunku being out long term and other injuries causing problems. Don’t envision Cucurella, Broja and Ugochukwu getting much playing time and Fofana is out indefinitely imo with Chuk also a long-term injury. So maybe we are closer to 22-23 in reality… 

My main issue with that squad is that I can’t spell half  of the names when posting on this site. Perhaps we could all work on abbreviations! 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Incredibly, only 5 players who were in the first team squad pre takeover by Boehly and co:

Bettinelli, James, Chilwell, Silva & Chalobah

Plus another 4 that were at the club but not in the first team:

Maatsen, Colwill, Gallagher & Broja.

That is quite the clear out!

The number of players is higher than expected, but Fofana doesn’t count for this season and Nkunku doesn’t count until January at the earliest, so in reality the current squad size is 25 including 3 keepers and arguably some youngsters (they’re just expensive youngsters).

Im pleased with the squad, although it’s a shame we weren’t able to move Cucurella on and as I’ve said several times, I do think we’re lacking some experienced leaders in that squad.

It is what it is now, it’s young and new and lets hope Poch can make it work!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Incredibly, only 5 players who were in the first team squad pre takeover by Boehly and co:

Bettinelli, James, Chilwell, Silva & Chalobah

Plus another 4 that were at the club but not in the first team:

Maatsen, Colwill, Gallagher & Broja.

That is quite the clear out!

The number of players is higher than expected, but Fofana doesn’t count for this season and Nkunku doesn’t count until January at the earliest, so in reality the current squad size is 25 including 3 keepers and arguably some youngsters (they’re just expensive youngsters).

Im pleased with the squad, although it’s a shame we weren’t able to move Cucurella on and as I’ve said several times, I do think we’re lacking some experienced leaders in that squad.

It is what it is now, it’s young and new and lets hope Poch can make it work!

A long overdue clear out at that. 

I think the squad size overall is pretty much on point, as you said some added experience would've been nice but its's not as if we're completely devoid of it altogether either. 

The side looks more balanced than it has for some time, with us having flexibility to seamlessly shuffle players in and out without necessarily having to tinker too much with our style of play. 

Overall happy with where we're at for now. Not expecting us to steam up the table by any means and we're going to have growing pains at times, but can certainly see us playing some good football and hopefully securing a position around 4th to 6th mark - injuries permitting. 

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I was just thinking…in Lavia we have a £50,000,000 midfielder who’ll be ready to play, let’s say in December.

Where, exactly, will he play?

He will rotate with Fernandez and Caicedo, offering more going forward than Ugochukwa.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

May be an image of text

no suprises there.
Mind Chalobah signed professional 5 years 7 months ago and was non-playing sub in an FA cup final soon after.
Then he went on loan for 3 seasons and made his debut in August 2021.
So arguably he is just 2 years 2 months with the first team squad.

Below him McGinn and Kilman were experienced pros when they arrived at Villa and Wolves though Kilman didn't play often for 2 years.  The teams were promoted in 2017 and 2018 so a big turnover in longer term staff is expected.