Official: Chelsea sign Nicolas Jackson on an 8 Year Contract

JaneB

12 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I very clearly talked about his performances for the two big clubs he's played for in this country and his record for them against teams in the top 6. It was appalling! 

He was decent at smaller clubs where there pressure to perform isn't anywhere near sane level as it is for Utd or Chelsea. In the big games for the big club he couldn't cut it. That is a statisticle fact!

So scoring around one in two at every club he's played for says he appalling. "you cannot count Chelsea because he was sent to Coventry by the not so dynamic duo". Like him or loathe him the bloke is a prolific goal scorer, something Jackson will not aspire too.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Except that's not true. Yesterday in a debate with another member of the site you started using loaded political culture-war terms like 'virtue-signalling' and 'cancel-culture'. 

The overwhelming majority of people visiting this site want to talk about football and indulge in a bit of general harmless chit-chat. If anyone really wants to discuss politics there's any number of outlets where they can indulge themselves. 

Perhaps you were using those terms without understanding them, if that's the case, I'll inform you that they're extremely politicised. 'Virtue-signalling' is a pejorative slur used to denigrate progressives by the right, accusing them of grandstanding and backing a cause they don't believe in to look good. Basically of being fake and having an ulterior motive. It's like the terms 'woke-washing', 'snowflake' and 'libtard'.

The whole 'cancel culture' thing is similarly politically pregnant. You may genuinely have meant nothing by these terms (in which case also Google 'cancel culture'), but they've said a lot about you, your political viewpoints or those of your social circle and the media outlets you most probably favour.

And again, the irony here is these sort of terms, along with associated talking points are usually handed out to pro-regime media outlets in those authoritarian countries we were talking about, because they're all extremely right-wing.

Anyway I don't want to know about your politics, football and friendly banter for me only, please keep your politicised slogans out of your posts.

aNythIng I dOn'T agReE wITh iS rIghT wINg 🪧

• Agree 4

23 hours ago, Bison said:

If Sterling (6 goals), Mudryk (4) and Madueke (5) had a similar output to Jackson this season we'd comfortably be in a Champions League place.

Wide players are unlikely to score at the same rate as a CF, and I say that as a fan of Jackson.  

Moreover, the bigger problem in the second half of the season has been letting goals in. This is our worst defensive season since the PL began. We have scored 3 fewer than Villa in 4th. or just 11 fewer than 3rd placed Liverpool. 

We have conceded more goals than Man Utd, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Fulham, one fewer than Brentford (16th) and 4 fewer than Forest (17th)

• Agree 1

Guest Alex
3 hours ago, Ham said:

aNythIng I dOn'T agReE wITh iS rIghT wINg 🪧

Nope, plenty of stuff I don't agree with is left-wing. What I don't agree with is people saying daft things they might not even necessarily understand.

Also never enjoyed the darker periods of political associations of my two sports clubs, Chelsea and Harlequins. Chelsea's former association with the far-right and Harlequins' once-upon-a-time being accused of being a group of elitist poshos.

I love the fact both are now places I can take my young sons who are both getting into supporting the same teams me and their grandfather do.

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

Cough cough Thierry Henry cough cough 😉

Sure, there are exceptions. Salah for example.

Jackson, in our system has scored more but also missed a lot more than those others. 

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty relaxed about Jackson. I think he offers a lot to the squad and his inconsistency in front of goal is eminently fixable: it's largely confidence based. Given too much time to think mental clarity and technique abandon him; when he has to react in the moment he is a lot better. The important thing is that he is quick, works hard, keeps going and despite some bad misses has scored a good few. He is an athlete with a good work ethic and no little skill, so once he works on remaining calm in the moment (taking a leaf out of Palmer's book) and gains a bit more experience, we'll have a very tidy forward.

Edited by RDCW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Wide players are unlikely to score at the same rate as a CF, and I say that as a fan of Jackson.  

Moreover, the bigger problem in the second half of the season has been letting goals in. This is our worst defensive season since the PL began. We have scored 3 fewer than Villa in 4th. or just 11 fewer than 3rd placed Liverpool. 

We have conceded more goals than Man Utd, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Fulham, one fewer than Brentford (16th) and 4 fewer than Forest (17th)

The positive thing about our poor defensive record thisxseason is that the problems are very easy to identify and can be greatly improved on next season and beyond.

Too many very basic keeper errors. Too many individual brainfarts. Clear weakness with crosses into the box. All of those have cost us lots of goals and points. We don't need an injection of world class talent to sort out those issues, just better  concentration  and a dominant CB who can organise.

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I'm pretty relaxed about Jackson. I think he offers a lot to the squad and his inconsistency in front of goal is eminently fixable: it's largely confidence based. Given too much time to think mental clarity and technique abandon him; when he has to react in the moment he is a lot better. The important thing is that he is quick, works hard, keeps going and despite some bad misses has scored a good few. He is an athlete with a good work ethic and no little skill, so once he works on remaining calm in the moment (taking a leaf out of Palmer's book) and gains a bit more experience, we'll have a very tidy forward.

Yep I agree. I also think from an attitude perspective, he strikes me as the kinda lad that will react positively to competition. We can’t afford to go into next season with Jackson as our sole No9 option for majority of games. I’m expecting increased competition will drive him to improve further next season. He’s going to be an important asset in a couple of positions next season and I think he raises his game with the quality increasing around him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, ROTG said:

So scoring around one in two at every club he's played for says he appalling. "you cannot count Chelsea because he was sent to Coventry by the not so dynamic duo". Like him or loathe him the bloke is a prolific goal scorer, something Jackson will not aspire too.

I thought he was sent to West Brom 😀

On 07/05/2024 at 06:52, ROTG said:

Jackson has outscored Lukaku's 2021/22 here in less games. And he actually wants to be here.

It's extraordinary to blame anyone but Lukaku for his departure. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Jackson has outscored Lukaku's 2021/22 here in less games. And he actually wants to be here.

No point to go down this road again, you can defend Jackson as much as you like. Unfortunately he is not the man if the club wants to aspire to a top four position.

52 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No point to go down this road again, you can defend Jackson as much as you like. Unfortunately he is not the man if the club wants to aspire to a top four position.

Saka is Arsenal's top scorer with 16 and they are going for the title. Proof that a team does not need a high scoring CF to be title challengers, let alone just be good enough for top four. Will Jackson ever be  true world class? I highly doubt that he will. Will he be good enough for a top four team? I am positive he will be!

Leaving Poch out of this  It's not Jackson who's lost us a place in the top four this season, it's because Sterling has once again been nowhere near good enough. Mudryk not producing anywhere near enough. Our keepers making mulitple howlers. Our defenders having multiple brainfarts. 

We are 13 points from 4th and with a game in hand. We'd have more than enough points for top four if those other players had done thier jobs as well as Jackson has done his this season!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

But Lukaku is elite because he scores a goal every other game.

Jackson, who does the same, is a 'Bournemouth level player' who will be judged on nothing but the fact they tried to sign him.

Cole Palmer can't be judged on this season, for the sole reason he has been so good, he needs two years. However Jackson can be judged immediately because Bournemouth tried to sign him.

Go figure......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Saka is Arsenal's top scorer with 16 and they are going for the title. Proof that a team does not need a high scoring CF to be title challengers, let alone just be good enough for top four. Will Jackson ever be  true world class? I highly doubt that he will. Will he be good enough for a top four team? I am positive he will be!

Leaving Poch out of this  It's not Jackson who's lost us a place in the top four this season, it's because Sterling has once again been nowhere near good enough. Mudryk not producing anywhere near enough. Our keepers making mulitple howlers. Our defenders having multiple brainfarts. 

We are 13 points from 4th and with a game in hand. We'd have more than enough points for top four if those other players had done thier jobs as well as Jackson has done his this season!

it's bit of rise and repeat of your comments yesterday, which you have tried to reframe, the answers i gave yesterday still stand

On 06/05/2024 at 09:44, martin1905 said:

100%, that's exactly what he is and pretty sure you won't find anyone arguing against this.

£30m for a number two in a top team, with the potential to get much , much better represents excellent business by the TBSD so fair play to them.

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

But Lukaku is elite because he scores a goal every other game.

Jackson, who does the same, is a 'Bournemouth level player' who will be judged on nothing but the fact they tried to sign him.

You really need to make up your mind, Is he elite or just a number two

OG Jackson assessment. With all that entails!..... too much time, too many Blue games in the memory bank and too many years of "opinions"!

In My Very Humble Opinion....Jackson will do well over the years in the EPL..definite improvement in his on field game and I believe he will become one of those players who, whilst never reaching the great heights will be a thorn in the side of opponents and one who the oppo coach will worry about although not in a media headline sense but with a sense of relief if he is not on the team sheet. (By that I mean able to concentrate on other set up issues.)

Of course he may just fizzle out and fade away to a lower Euro league but given ,hopefully an upward curve in the overall development of the squad plus sensible additions I think the lad will be an asset...but then again I still believe in Tinkerbell!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

it's bit of rise and repeat of your comments yesterday, which you have tried to reframe, the answers i gave yesterday still stand

Apart from Jackson being mentioned  I'm making a completely different point!  My points yesterday were about Lukaku being appallingly  bad in the big games for the two top sides he's played for in England. 

I remember Utd fans fuming about him in those big games, saying it was like they were having to play with ten men.  He scored against the dross and goals when games were already done and dusted all of which boosted his goal tally which gave a very false impression of the actual quality of his performances. The vast majority of their fans couldn't wait to get rid of him, which tells you everything!

As I said, just one goal in games against  teams in the top six at the time of playing them. One measly goal in theee and a half years and you call him elite.🤔

Henry was elite. Suarez was elite. Torres before his injury. Salah. Aguero. Messi  Ronaldo et al. To try and put Lukaku alongside those genuinely great players is simply laughable! He is, always has been and always will be levels below the genuine elite!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

You really need to make up your mind, Is he elite or just a number two

Jackson is way ahead of a 22 year old Drogba and also had a better first season for us than the great man had for us too!

8 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Jackson is way ahead of a 22 year old Drogba and also had a better first season for us than the great man had for us too!

You should stop because you are embarrassing yourself

04/05 season - DD scored 16 goals in 41 matches 

PL -  10  in 26 games won the PL

CL - 5 including a couple against bayern home and away in the QF

League Cup - 1 "in the final in extra time against the dippers" and won the league cup

FA Cup - 0

On 08/05/2024 at 16:18, ROTG said:

You should stop because you are embarrassing yourself

04/05 season - DD scored 16 goals in 41 matches 

PL -  10  in 26 games won the PL

CL - 5 including a couple against bayern home and away in the QF

League Cup - 1 "in the final in extra time against the dippers" and won the league cup

FA Cup - 0

16 in 41; identical records incredibly. 

Jacko has more PL goals and is 4 years younger than Drogba of 2004/05 and is playing in a far weaker team. 

I think that is a decent return.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

16 in 41; identical records incredibly. 

Jacko has more PL goals and is 4 years younger than Drogba of 2004/05 and is playing in a far weaker team. 

I think that is a decent return.

Yeah but... Four legs good. 

On 08/05/2024 at 15:55, boratsbrother said:

Apart from Jackson being mentioned  I'm making a completely different point!  My points yesterday were about Lukaku being appallingly  bad in the big games for the two top sides he's played for in England. 

I remember Utd fans fuming about him in those big games, saying it was like they were having to play with ten men.  He scored against the dross and goals when games were already done and dusted all of which boosted his goal tally which gave a very false impression of the actual quality of his performances. The vast majority of their fans couldn't wait to get rid of him, which tells you everything!

As I said, just one goal in games against  teams in the top six at the time of playing them. One measly goal in theee and a half years and you call him elite.🤔

Henry was elite. Suarez was elite. Torres before his injury. Salah. Aguero. Messi  Ronaldo et al. To try and put Lukaku alongside those genuinely great players is simply laughable! He is, always has been and always will be levels below the genuine elite!

Yeah but be fair; he’s elite in the kebab shop and ice cream parlour and has a mythical black Nando’s card! 😉 🍩 🍗 🍟