Official: Chelsea sign Nicolas Jackson on an 8 Year Contract

JaneB

37 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

He literally scored the winning goal in our last match.

I’ll give you that one, along with it being a WC pin point cross from RJ. 

19 hours ago, chara said:

I posted my humble opinion of Jackson and stick by it.....not sure I can explain it properly but I get the feeling that IF Chelsea can get a real striker #1 Jackson would fill the hole Eidur left,,,never quite been replaced,,,the extra unheralded wild card element that caused all sorts of mainly unremarked issues for defences.

(Haven't forgotten our long term injured striker who came on yesterday)

Eidur was a technical genius and one of a kind. Jackson is just  a 45 year old poor man's Eto'o

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Eidur was a technical genius and one of a kind. Jackson is just  a 45 year old poor man's Eto'o

Hmm bit harsh, young, but I agree about Eidur,,,,,it was the role not a replacement of him...think he has the ability to provide that edge if not at Eidurs level of play....this time next season it will be clearer....he does put the effort in and that means a lot to me.

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

I’ll give you that one, along with it being a WC pin point cross from RJ. 

And an equally fine pass from Caicedo to James.

From the halfway line the ball is in tha back of the net three touches later. In recent years we'd have seen Jorginho pass the ball five yards to Kova, who'd have gone on one of his famous ten yard runs, stop when he gets halfway into their half, run sideways pass it to Jorginho who'd pass it to someone else...zzzzzzz. 

That goal was  the type of play we've been crying out for for a long time!  We are now scoring all types of different goals from all over the pitch, which is why so many teams find it difficult to contain us now. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Being wrong on a player is one thing but doubling down when the player performs is laughable.

Just admit defeat, I promise we won't think any less of you. 

On 13/05/2024 at 10:00, Thiago97 said:

Sometimes you just need to save yourself from the agony of the situation and row back. This really is one of those times.

The problem with where your argument on Jackson collapses is that absolutely zero people on here have built him up to be something he is not. The vast majority all agree he can be frustrating, he is far from the finished article, he is not at the level to spearhead a title challenge in the next 1-2 seasons (he may never end up that player either)

The main reason you have taken some stick on this is because you had a complete guess up based on the clubs who liked Jackson. That was your metric for judging the player.  It's easy to disguise things however you want and claim he is not Chelsea level, we haven't won anything, we will be looking for another striker in the summer....all as some sort of justification for Jackson not cutting the mustard here.

The reality is that you had a guess up and got it wrong. In many ways , its not actually as bad as praising/criticising a signing based on your judgement of watching them. That's getting it completley wrong. You just took a wild stab in the dark and got it wrong, nothing that bad really. At least just own it though and hold your hands up to it.

He may never become a top class striker, but I don't see anyone saying he will. However, to sign a young inexperienced striker for £30m and to have to throw him in nearly every week to lead the line with little to no senior guidance around him, and he returns some positive numbers for his first season at this level.......well its just bizarre to not recognise and praise this. It's an excellent achievement , even more so when you take the whole context of the last 18 months at Chelsea into account.

The moral of all this is don't have a guess up unless you actually know the player in question.

Well written, i remember similar criticism aimed at Tammy Abraham the season that we had a transfer ban, and i would hazard a guess some of the same are calling for us to sign him again due to seeing him scoring goals in Italy. 

Just read that this season is the first season since 17/18 where two Chelsea players have got double figures for league goals. 

Shows where the problem has been 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Well written, i remember similar criticism aimed at Tammy Abraham the season that we had a transfer ban, and i would hazard a guess some of the same are calling for us to sign him again due to seeing him scoring goals in Italy. 

Jackson and Abraham have very similar numbers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

Being wrong on a player is one thing but doubling down when the player performs is laughable.

Just admit defeat, I promise we won't think any less of you. 

"Performs". Isn't he one of the most dispossessed/intercepted players in the PL? Feed Chris Sutton millions of chances and he'll score a few too in Blue

1 hour ago, johnnybozo said:

"Performs". Isn't he one of the most dispossessed/intercepted players in the PL? Feed Chris Sutton millions of chances and he'll score a few too in Blue

I wonder why he never bothered when he was here before then ? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, johnnybozo said:

Is he? 

The stats I see show the following, in the past 365 days Jackson ranks highly for pass completion, progressive carries and dribbles amongst forwards. 

Screenshot-20240514-143421-Brave.jpg

Now here are the same numbers for Rasmus Hojlund who cost 70m (more than double the fee of Jackson):

Screenshot-20240514-143757-Brave.jpg

Here's a bonus, Haaland's stats:

Screenshot-20240514-144402-Brave.jpg

Haaland has missed 33 big chances this season, by far the most in the league. Modern day Sutton there, am I right? 😂

Edited by Bison
  • Like 2

On 13/05/2024 at 10:16, ROTG said:

No guessing by me, it’s about analysing what he’s done and when he’s done it during a game.  

although he has hit some decent numbers a majority of them were when the team was coasting. Cant remember him scoring the all important goal to win a game.  

All goals are important, ask Man U and Forest and ask the boys who let a 2 goal lead slip against Arsenal. 

Whatever, you are so consistently on the wrong side of every argument that I now realise that it's deliberate on your part. I could kick myself for not having recognised it before 🤭

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, RDCW said:

All goals are important, ask Man U and Forest and ask the boys who let a 2 goal lead slip against Arsenal. 

Whatever, you are so consistently on the wrong side of every argument that I now realise that it's deliberate on your part. I could kick myself for not having recognised it before 🤭

Ok. 

Not a problem, on every topic I will sing from the hymn sheet a the majority. With the exception of Poch, where the majority think he’s a complete looser, whereas I am of the opinion that he done an outstanding job with the bag of dolly mixture given to him by a couple of scouts. 

as I wrote earlier Poch, the bloke at Bournemouth and the new coach  a at palace, have improved the total points this season compared to the clubs totals last season. This a another data point that doesn’t suit the Poch is a looser agenda 

As for Jackson if he’s so good, why are the club actively “if you believe the media” looking for a No1 striker?

Edited by ROTG

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Just read that this season is the first season since 17/18 where two Chelsea players have got double figures for league goals. 

Shows where the problem has been 

How many trophies have the club won since 17/18

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

domestic? none. 

European & world?

Might as well throw in domestic final “ even though we lost them”

Edited by ROTG

42 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Ok. 

Not a problem, on every topic I will sing from the hymn sheet a the majority. With the exception of Poch, where the majority think he’s a complete looser, whereas I am of the opinion that he done an outstanding job with the bag of dolly mixture given to him by a couple of scouts. 

as I wrote earlier Poch, the bloke at Bournemouth and the new coach  a at palace, have improved the total points this season compared to the clubs totals last season. This a another data point that doesn’t suit the Poch is a looser agenda 

As for Jackson if he’s so good, why are the club actively “if you believe the media” looking for a No1 striker?

Stop it! I'm on to you, you little tinker!

• 4 weeks later...