Official: Chelsea sign Nicolas Jackson on an 8 Year Contract

JaneB

5 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

He went to my school so I always had to be a fan! That was an era of the great super sub strikers, with him and also Mikael Forssell always seeming to score when they came off the bench.

Such a shame about his injuries, I think he could have played a part here even after Roman came in if he'd had better luck.  

Two goals on his debut as a 17/18 year old wasn't it? 

5 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Such a shame about his injuries, I think he could have played a part here even after Roman came in if he'd had better luck.  

I seem to remember him being lauded as the "New" Osgood.....heavy hat to wear and out of luck...not the first or last prospect to suffer that infliction.

59 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I think the real problem was he was bigger than Frank Bruno but wanted to play like Jimmy Greaves.  Managers never understood that, and Carlton Cole never really had the attitude to adapt to their ideas.  
The very opposite to RLC who is also built like a huge CF but has been allowed to play where he wants.
On balance I'd say Carlton Cole had a better career, but earnt a lot less.

On 24/11/2023 at 16:35, Dwmh said:

I think the real problem was he was bigger than Frank Bruno but wanted to play like Jimmy Greaves.  Managers never understood that, and Carlton Cole never really had the attitude to adapt to their ideas.  
The very opposite to RLC who is also built like a huge CF but has been allowed to play where he wants.
On balance I'd say Carlton Cole had a better career, but earnt a lot less.

Than Frank Bruno, Jimmy Greaves or RLC?😏

Bruno would rather train than fight..Greavsie relied on talent to overcome his demons.....Carlton Cole came last in the "Cole" trio and basically became another useful graduate,,Solanke style....RLC hammered by injuries admittedly but super indulged for years,,the ultimate nearly man. IMHO. Wish it had been different for all of them.

Solanke has averaged 36 games previous two season as an attacking player not the best attacker yet making a successful career at the lower end of the table.

RLC - 9 starts at AC Milan, will be interesting to see if he can nail down a position there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Rather to my surprise he is starting the CL games, and appearing whenever his is not injured.

Found his level I guess...never a doubt about his "potential" just..like many in the same category...never quite made that extra step up.... the EPL is HARD...no easy games and takes a mental strength every game to succeed,

So many,,as said elsewhere...making a comfortable living at a slightly lower level.

32 minutes ago, chara said:

So many,,as said elsewhere...making a comfortable living at a slightly lower level.

No - like plenty of others he jumped upwards.
I'm sure the sum of the player prices at Milan is lower, as is the sum of the player qualities - which is why RLC is getting starts.
But the sum of the performances is a quite a bit higher.

Same goes for Pulisic and Giroud.

4 hours ago, Dwmh said:

No - like plenty of others he jumped upwards.
I'm sure the sum of the player prices at Milan is lower, as is the sum of the player qualities - which is why RLC is getting starts.
But the sum of the performances is a quite a bit higher.

Same goes for Pulisic and Giroud.

Understand your point Droy but a season in the EPL is far harder than in Italy/Spain/France...which was my point rather than a put down of any particular player,,,jumped up to a good side maybe but more like big fish in a smaller pond (league and club) as opposed to EPL....Giroud is the obvious example.....not the quality of his play but I doubt he would play as many games here now.

The last three fixtures for Chelsea were "difficult",,,(and would be for any side) do the big guns/little guns elsewhere have three such challenging games on the bounce?....the fixture list throws up such runs for all sides I think>

It was neveran issue regarding the ability of the players mentioned rather their influence on a season in the EPL.

11 minutes ago, chara said:

Understand your point Droy but a season in the EPL is far harder than in Italy/Spain/France...which was my point rather than a put down of any particular player,,,jumped up to a good side maybe but more like big fish in a smaller pond (league and club) as opposed to EPL....Giroud is the obvious example.....not the quality of his play but I doubt he would play as many games here now.

Well that is my point - poorer players getting picked in stronger teams.  It isn't the players who are poor here at Chelsea it is the team.

12 minutes ago, chara said:

The last three fixtures for Chelsea were "difficult",,,(and would be for any side) do the big guns/little guns elsewhere have three such challenging games on the bounce?....the fixture list throws up such runs for all sides I think>

3 games in 4 weeks, not exactly a demanding schedule for those who did not fly to S America.

In fact Chelsea have played 7 games since the start of October.
Giroud has played 13 games since then, of which he started 10.  Suspended for one more game, the list includes 4 internationals.
Pulisic 10 games (injured twice)

17 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Well that is my point - poorer players getting picked in stronger teams.  It isn't the players who are poor here at Chelsea it is the team.

3 games in 4 weeks, not exactly a demanding schedule for those who did not fly to S America.

In fact Chelsea have played 7 games since the start of October.
Giroud has played 13 games since then, of which he started 10.  Suspended for one more game, the list includes 4 internationals.
Pulisic 10 games (injured twice)

I meant "difficult" in terms of opposition...not physical demands.

Again..my point is the difference in strength of the leagues.......easy extreme  lazy examples..Messi in MLS..Ronaldo in SA.

33 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Off hand I can't think of a single player that has left post RA that is not at a CL playing club.  

Now now Droy....you know what my point is,,,a CL game isn't necessary as difficult as an EPL game and it's not every week!..... You know I don't disagree with you so much as the contrasts are not as black and white as they can be presented,,,.

We criticise players  with the understanding (I hope) that they are all elite players but with different thresholds and attributes.

The proof of a coach is his/her ability to maximise those attributes regardless of the League or strength of opposition.

Edited by chara

3 hours ago, chara said:

Understand your point Droy but a season in the EPL is far harder than in Italy/Spain/France

Maybe TB could transfer all of his expensive squad to Strasbourg, because Leigue 1 is about the only league where the current squad will ever have a chance of making the top 4

Regards 

Mischievous ROTG 😀 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

The right attitude to take in my opinion. 

He's doing fine, I expect him to improve steadily. 

I remember questioning whether Drogba's boots were sponsored by Toblerone in his first season and he turned out OK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The right attitude to take in my opinion. 

He's doing fine, I expect him to improve steadily. 

I remember questioning whether Drogba's boots were sponsored by Toblerone in his first season and he turned out OK. 

Toblerone 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I think we are potentially being a bit hard on Jackson. I understand it and it is frustrating watching him at times, but he's a young guy in a new league, in a team struggling for consistency and yet he's putting the ball in the net more regularly than anyone has for us in a few seasons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think we are potentially being a bit hard on Jackson. I understand it and it is frustrating watching him at times, but he's a young guy in a new league, in a team struggling for consistency and yet he's putting the ball in the net more regularly than anyone has for us in a few seasons.

Yes. I commented on the match thread. He is on course to get 15 or 16 league goals, without taking penalties. 

Not bad for a 22 year old, raw striker in a new league 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yes. I commented on the match thread. He is on course to get 15 or 16 league goals, without taking penalties. 

Not bad for a 22 year old, raw striker in a new league 

He's only on par for 15 or 16 if we play 9 man Spurs again.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1