Official: Chelsea sign Nicolas Jackson on an 8 Year Contract

JaneB

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

For all his faults he still looked far better than Toney. Would be complete madness to blow £100 m on a striker who is no better than one we already have.

Quite right. I think Jackson will definitely come good. He has, despite his rawness and occasionally awful finishing, still persevered, got himself into great positions and has actually scored and assisted a few. He is passionate and hard working. Under the right coach he will be a good striker/(to use ancient parlance) inside left! We shouldn't be spending megabucks on anyone up front; instead we should be bringing in a solid pro who can help to teach Jackson and help to integrate Nkunku.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

For all his faults he still looked far better than Toney. Would be complete madness to blow £100 m on a striker who is no better than one we already have.

Jackson only scores against championship level teams or 9 men.

He will never be top draw. 

54 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Quite right. I think Jackson will definitely come good. He has, despite his rawness and occasionally awful finishing, still persevered, got himself into great positions and has actually scored and assisted a few. He is passionate and hard working. Under the right coach he will be a good striker/(to use ancient parlance) inside left! We shouldn't be spending megabucks on anyone up front; instead we should be bringing in a solid pro who can help to teach Jackson and help to integrate Nkunku.

I’m increasingly leaning towards this view also.

The release clause for Osimhen is prohibitive for me and Toney is a good player but also not worth the money required, so perhaps we should be looking at  an Oliver Giroud type signing that we made in 2017/18? 

56 minutes ago, ROTG said:

How many genuine top draw forwards are there in world football, let alone the Premiership? Not many is my answer!

Outside of Haaland, Mbappe, Kane and Salah the level below those players is a notable drop off.  Good players but not top draw. Imho Jackson has the potential to become good enough for level we want to get back to being, which is all we require in every position with a couple of genuine top level players in the mix like Liverpool have had in the Klopp era.

16 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Also needs to get his head up quicker and release the ball sooner. He's prone to always taking one or two more touches than he needs an either loses possession or kills the passing opportunity.

I think a lot of good situations have come from his dribbling and carrying so I'm not too upset at that aspect of his game. He needs more reps in general. I believe he's got the capacity to improve unlike some others in the squad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bison said:

I think a lot of good situations have come from his dribbling and carrying so I'm not too upset at that aspect of his game. He needs more reps in general. I believe he's got the capacity to improve unlike some others in the squad. 

Of course, certainly not saying he shouldn't be doing any of it. I just think in certain moments he tries to maybe do a bit too much on his own and it's seen moves break down because of it. Like with many of our players though he needs to continue playing regular football and carry on developing. 

Will be interesting to see if he carves out his career as a genuine #9 or more of a wide forward with another CF through the middle. 

On 03/03/2024 at 12:33, ROTG said:

Brentford will probably finish around 13th or 14th. how does that make them a "championship team"?

Still, and why bother, but he has scored against Villa, Spurs (yes 9 men) Brighton and Man City. 

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Brentford will probably finish around 13th or 14th. how does that make them a "championship team"?

Still, and why bother, but he has scored against Villa, Spurs (yes 9 men) Brighton and Man City. 

I think he’s quietly had a decent season to be honest, but he’s also incredibly frustrating to watch, we need an elite manager to take him to the next level and that isn’t Poch. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

I think he’s quietly had a decent season to be honest, but he’s also incredibly frustrating to watch, we need an elite manager to take him to the next level and that isn’t Poch. 

Agreed. I think he's stepped up another level since he came back from AFCON.

54 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Agreed. I think he's stepped up another level since he came back from AFCON.

And just before.  He was playing excellently as a 2nd striker. 

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ham said:

And just before.  He was playing excellently as a 2nd striker. 

Absolutely 

It's a real pity our No1 striker was sent to Coventry. I am sure our coach has the same thoughts 

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Absolutely 

It's a real pity our No1 striker was sent to Coventry. I am sure our coach has the same thoughts 

How can you send someone to Coventry when they made a TV program about wanting to be in Coventry and took a taxi a plane ride and was picked up in Coventry in order to get away? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bertles86 said:

12Gx3A and climbing.

And should only continue to improve 🙂

Danny Murphy said last night that one of the things he likes about Jackson is that he doesn't hide after missing a chance and  keeps putting himself into good positions. Works hard too.

Fans have been very critical of the recruitment and some of it is justified, especially with the fees paid for some players. However, credit where it's due, Jackson, Palmer, Gusto and Petrovich are already looking very good value for money signings. I think Chuck will be another and also Lavia if and when he gets fit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

And should only continue to improve 🙂

Danny Murphy said last night that one of the things he likes about Jackson is that he doesn't hide after missing a chance and  keeps putting himself into good positions. Works hard too.

Fans have been very critical of the recruitment and some of it is justified, especially with the fees paid for some players. However, credit where it's due, Jackson, Palmer, Gusto and Petrovich are already looking very good value for money signings. I think Chuck will be another and also Lavia if and when he gets fit.

I've always said the players aren't the issue here , most of them are decent players , it's the coaching or lack of it , the perception with Pochettino is that the first season is often fairly uninspiring but the team kick on in the second .

I'm hoping that is true and that we will start to improve further .

Even I , his harshest critic was pleased we didn't collapse after the equaliser last night and pushed on to take the win . 

3 hours ago, bertles86 said:

12Gx3A and climbing.

A goal contribution every 152 minutes, using whoscored.com 

A goal every 202 minutes

I haven't seen it back, but how close was the offside goal yesterday?

Edit - for comparison, and it's funny how perception versus reality are confused, Mudryk has a PL goal contribution every 151.50 minutes 

Edited by paulw66

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

A goal every 202 minutes

Edit - for comparison, and it's funny how perception versus reality are confused, Mudryk has a PL goal contribution every 151.50 minutes 

I saw a stat from last night that said Mudryk passed to teammates in the final third more times in the 10 minutes after he came on than Sterling had managed in his 71 minutes on the pitch.  Mudryk found his teammates five times in that 10 minutes.  

Yet he's being perceived as the failure. 

Re: Jackson - there's a good player emerging there.  It's way easier to get behind him than a lot of our previous strikers too.  Works hard, doesn't shirk and has shown he's willing to front up about any failures.  Good characteristics for any player to possess, let alone a young one.  

Hope he can keep improving. 

Edited by Bert19
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

A goal every 202 minutes

image.thumb.png.27ecd2e8f0dde64ac0df9b2ac63a5ce9.png

6 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Close, but noticeably offside from the left-hand side of Shed lower.

7 hours ago, Sciatika said:

image.thumb.png.27ecd2e8f0dde64ac0df9b2ac63a5ce9.png

Looked offside from the East Upper.......by VAR standards, pretty clear cut. 

• Agree 1

I think most appreciate that Jackson gives all he has and in mho has improved or more accurately seems to learning and adjusting to the EPL....no defender likes someone who just keeps coming regardless of mistakes and being stopped.

A player I feel members here are warming to..along with Gusto,Petr and Palmer of the newcomers.

15 minutes ago, chara said:

I think most appreciate that Jackson gives all he has and in mho has improved or more accurately seems to learning and adjusting to the EPL....no defender likes someone who just keeps coming regardless of mistakes and being stopped.

A player I feel members here are warming to..along with Gusto,Petr and Palmer of the newcomers.

Yup. Some of our strikers have hid when the chips are down. 

Jacko is persistent 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Thought he excellent again yesterday, especially first half. 

If he carries on improving like this, we will have a real bargain on our hands. 

He's been really quite good , especially for an unknown quantity in an unfamiliar league , I think the TBSD(lol) can pat themselves on the back for this one .

• Agree 1