Chelsea 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

Brighton the better team with eleven men, took our goals well with the man advantage, but very erratic and shaky defensively, very little game management. Still, good workout for the players in a high tempo game with some good performances. 

Still plenty to work on of course, but some encouraging signs overall. 

Think we're gonna need another experienced CB and a more mature head in the midfield, but we definitely have ourselves quite a few talented young players. Just a matter if they can show consistency over a domestic season and be dependable. Not having European football is going to be a blessing and allow Poch to get things laid down quicker. 

Also it's refreshing to see us with a bit of pace, flair and dynamism.

• Like 1

WOW. I really enjoyed that game. I think it gave key things to our players: opponents who are among the hardest teams in the league, that knows each and the system well, and something totally different to Wrexham.

It was played like a PL game. That is going to be *SO* valuable going forward. I actually don't remember a pre-season fixture that has been so helpful.

I think systems wise there's a lot for Poch to work on, and there were some frustrating performances. Sterling especially, and Cucurella was poor until his absolutely superb assist.

Nonetheless, Jackson, Mudryk, Nkunku and Casadei were especially good. Very happy.

A decent display, we showed some flashes of quality when we were up against 10 players, but at 11 we looked lost as times; Silva's presence will be vital this season because there was a huge drop in composure when he went off.

Mudryk and Jackson looked sharp, I think they both want to play with speed and link up with teammates, where as Sterling and Nkunku looked to recieve the ball into their feet and then do something individual with it.

All in all, hopefully it has boosted confidence and given Poch something to think about, personally I think we really really need a holding midfielder who doesn't press but closes the supply lines instead; reads the game well and makes more interceptions than tackles.

The next game will reveal more, but I am still concerned that playing PL opposition will not allow us to experiement and be expressive enough to bring the players out of their shell to take more risks. We have Newcastle next, and while Brighton are a strong team they do keep the ball in their half for long periods, where as Newcastle like to attack the opposition's box; hopefully Poch picks a solid backline who are familiar with each other and picks the right players to counter-attack. We can leave the experiements for another day.

Edited by Gurj SS
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Silva's presence will be vital this season because there was a huge drop in composure when he went off.

Which is a big worry, because as good as he is, he can't play forever. Anyone else stand out when he went off, or do we have o head back into the transfer market?

That was really competitive and we more than held our own against a well drilled team. Lots of positives from the game. We look like we have two strikers who can find the net. Game really turned when Jackson and Enzo came on. Jackson has been a revelation so far. Mudryk is ridiculously quick and scored a terrific goal. Gusto looks like a solid back up to James. Chilwell put in a good shift and looks like he’s back to his best. Gallagher had a much improved second half. And even Cucurella had a decent cameo with a nice assist.

I think the squad is taking shape for Pochettino. Some of the younger players will clearly benefit from a good loan. I’ve been impressed with Casadei, Santos and Humphreys.  Colwill was promising too despite giving away a penalty. A couple of his passes out from the back were stunning. I think it’ll do him good to realise that he’s still got a lot of work to do to earn his place. 

Hope Caceido can get done soon and we can bring in a couple of more experienced heads to balance the squad out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Which is a big worry, because as good as he is, he can't play forever. Anyone else stand out when he went off, or do we have o head back into the transfer market?

I agree, I would think this would be his last season with us and then he'll look to wind down like Messi has. I think we need to head back to the transfer market, and the player coming in has to either have a vast amount of experience like Silva does to share game time or be world class (like the proper world class and not just the label because he had 1 good season); and that way we rotate Silva with the young lads.

Poch has a few decisions to make in the middle of the park, personally I prefer us to play one 6 and two 8s/10s, than two 6s/8s and one 10; I think the former will give us more protection in front of the CBs by having one 6 just sit there all game and not abandon post in the name of wanting to do something creative on the ball. Santos is probably the closest player we have to doing this role outside of someone like Chalobah. I'm starting to think Caicedo might actually cause more issues for Poch than solve them, Santos, Casadei and Carny look like they can develop into top players if given the opportunity to, Enzo is a nailed on starter and Gallagher gives flexibility in being able to cover a wide range of positions. That's 5 players over 3 positions, and we have some attackers who are also able to play the 10 role, so we aren't short on numbers. Most of the players already featured, and in particular the new guys have made it quite public that they signed to play for Chelsea and not some loan team, which means Caicedo might actually rock the boat as a £100m (Enzo) and a (£80m) Caicedo won't be expecting to share playing time with others anymore than they need to (rest, injuries). Plus as good as Caicedo is, Santos just turned 19 in May and is already considered better than Caicedo was at his age so us spending a fortune on Caicedo defeats the club objectives of finding them before they get expensive to buy. If Caicedo does sign (as expected), there's little point in keeping Santos and Casadei around because they need to be playing and just won't get enough minutes; especially when Poch knows he needs to get european football back and the last thing he needs is a board meeting or even fans asking why mega money Caicedo was on the bench or subbed when we've lost, it won't matter if him being on the pitch wouldn't have changed the scoreline as Poch will get grilled like all managers do.

Edited by Gurj SS

56 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

I agree, I would think this would be his last season with us and then he'll look to wind down like Messi has. I think we need to head back to the transfer market, and the player coming in has to either have a vast amount of experience like Silva does to share game time or be world class (like the proper world class and not just the label because he had 1 good season); and that way we rotate Silva with the young lads.

Poch has a few decisions to make in the middle of the park, personally I prefer us to play one 6 and two 8s/10s, than two 6s/8s and one 10; I think the former will give us more protection in front of the CBs by having one 6 just sit there all game and not abandon post in the name of wanting to do something creative on the ball. Santos is probably the closest player we have to doing this role outside of someone like Chalobah. I'm starting to think Caicedo might actually cause more issues for Poch than solve them, Santos, Casadei and Carny look like they can develop into top players if given the opportunity to, Enzo is a nailed on starter and Gallagher gives flexibility in being able to cover a wide range of positions. That's 5 players over 3 positions, and we have some attackers who are also able to play the 10 role, so we aren't short on numbers. Most of the players already featured, and in particular the new guys have made it quite public that they signed to play for Chelsea and not some loan team, which means Caicedo might actually rock the boat as a £100m (Enzo) and a (£80m) Caicedo won't be expecting to share playing time with others anymore than they need to (rest, injuries). Plus as good as Caicedo is, Santos just turned 19 in May and is already considered better than Caicedo was at his age so us spending a fortune on Caicedo defeats the club objectives of finding them before they get expensive to buy. If Caicedo does sign (as expected), there's little point in keeping Santos and Casadei around because they need to be playing and just won't get enough minutes; especially when Poch knows he needs to get european football back and the last thing he needs is a board meeting or even fans asking why mega money Caicedo was on the bench or subbed when we've lost, it won't matter if him being on the pitch wouldn't have changed the scoreline as Poch will get grilled like all managers do.

In a meaningless game there were a few meaningful things that happened.

First of all Jackson looks like a class act.On top of that I liked the way he interacted with other players after the game.

A personality that can only be good for the team behind the scenes.

I wasn't impressed with casadei - gave the ball away too often and looks a bit slow in thought,  Angelo looks a better prospect.

Good to see Mudryk using his speed and Nkunku scoring goals

Just the musings of an old fart..

Edited by kev61

• Michael Tucker changed the title to Chelsea 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

Seen literally only the goals. Ours were brilliantly worked and really well taken. Brighton's first was fantastic, evidence of an expertly drilled side. The next two ... Let's just say defending is likely high on the coaching list of priorities.

Looks like a good physical and tactical work out.

I have just caught up with the game this morning and I think my main takeaway from the game would be that it was enjoyable to watch, and it felt like watching Chelsea will have some degree of entertainment again this season.

A few observations from the game.

We already seem fitter and playing with greater intensity. I thought Chilwell looked very fit, you can notice it in his face more than anything else. Compare a pic of his face this summer to last season and you will see a difference.

Nicolas Jackson is going to be a real asset. You can just tell that he is an out and out No9 , he knows and understands the position well already at such a young age. I don't know much about him, but I would expect this has always been his position throughout youth football. He just looks the right fit for that role. He is already showing good link up play and looks like he can finish too............one for ROTG to keep an eye on maybe and maybe don't judge a player purely by the clubs who are tracking him 😉

Lovely strike by Mudryk, that will do him good. Gusto looks like he should be a good addition, I like that he looks like a full back first and foremost, and not a converted winger playing that role. Gallagher put in a cracking shift to get through 90 mins with such work rate.

Finally, this Angelo lad really has something about him. I agree with what others have said, on paper and looking at his numbers in Brazil, he seems like an odd signing.  However, when you watch him, it stands out he has been playing first team football for a number of seasons now. He looks like he will be a useful player to keep around the squad to me. His style of playing is very much giving me vibes of Willian. He may not contribute a volume of goals and assists, but he looks like a real team player who plays the game with personality and responsibility. I am starting to hope he makes the cut for the squad, as I think he could be a valuable option to use throughout the season.

• Like 1

Well...we can actually score goals .

Jackson honestly looks like the best striker we could possibly have signed for our needs this time , three assists and a goal in two halves of football.

The game was ideal for us because Brighton really went for it and played Premier League football.

I've seen Colwill play three times and every time I've seen him play he's tried to win an unwinable ball and given away a penalty , maybe he isn't as good as he thinks he is after all? 

Defensively we looked like a side who'd only played together twice which funnily enough we were  but there is a lot of work to be done there as we were totally unorganized throughout. I'd be looking at another CB if it was me , disappointed that Silva isn't cajoling those around him into shape.

Kepa , poor to awful sadly .

I'm having real trouble telling the new players apart with no names on their shirts , Casedei apart . Apparently Poch has been impressed with Santos but from where I am Gabriel and Casedei  look superior but given the trouble I'm having telling them apart I could well be wrong .

Lovely goal from Mudryk that'll do him a power of good .

Sterling looks odd man out at the moment which should worry him.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well...we can actually score goals .

Jackson honestly looks like the best striker we could possibly have signed for our needs this time , three assists and a goal in two halves of football.

The game was ideal for us because Brighton really went for it and played Premier League football.

I've seen Colwill play three times and every time I've seen him play he's tried to win an unwinable ball and given away a penalty , maybe he isn't as good as he thinks he is after all? 

Defensively we looked like a side who'd only played together twice which funnily enough we were  but there is a lot of work to be done there as we were totally unorganized throughout. I'd be looking at another CB if it was me , disappointed that Silva isn't cajoling those around him into shape.

Kepa , poor to awful sadly .

I'm having real trouble telling the new players apart with no names on their shirts , Casedei apart . Apparently Poch has been impressed with Santos but from where I am Gabriel and Casedei  look superior but given the trouble I'm having telling them apart I could well be wrong .

Lovely goal from Mudryk that'll do him a power of good .

Sterling looks odd man out at the moment which should worry him.

I was meant to touch on the bolded parts in my last post.

Kepa - It's there to see and has been for a while. Whilst I would not blame him outright for any of those goals last night, he just does not make many saves.Or maybe a better way of putting it is, he saves the ones you fully expect him and most Gk's to save .The Undev goals is classic Kepa.  It's not a scenario where he should save that, the disappointing thing is he does not read the situation. Very high probability that Undev is only going to go one way in that situation, yet he stands there motionless and is not prepared and ready to read that situation. It does not happen in rapid time either, like the Nkunku goal for comparison. 

Casedi has some physique about him. You can tell he is a player. I think I would probably be favouring a loan for him right now, though that could change over the remainder of pre season. He just looks like a player who needs a full season of first team football under him. If we could park him at a footballing Championship team, like a Coventry or Leicester for a season, then I think it would be the making of him.

Edited by Thiago97

16 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Does anyone know where I can watch the full match back on UK platforms?  

I’ve watched the 10 mins extended highlights but with 7 goals and a sending off, it doesn’t show much of the match! 

These games are on Sky. I would imagine you can catch the full 90mins on demand, or maybe repeated on there today. Presuming you have Sky access that is.

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

4-3 against 10 men. Just about the right reflection of the game. Much better than last season though obviously.

We were getting beaten 4-0 by Arsenal around this time last season so for a team of strangers I'll take it.

Nice to see Havertz working his "magic" for Arsenal though.

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

In a meaningless game there were a few meaningful things that happened.

First of all Jackson looks like a class act.On top of that I liked the way he interacted with other players after the game.

A personality that can only be good for the team behind the scenes.

I wasn't impressed with casadei - gave the ball away too often and looks a bit slow in thought,  Angelo looks a better prospect.

Good to see Mudryk using his speed and Nkunku scoring goals

Just the musings of an old fart..

Just the musings of a fan giving his thoughts and all power to it.

Stayed up to watch the game. Brighton were  what they were last season, instinctively knew where their teammates were and played in nice patterns, very sharp in the last third. Welbeck got his customary goal against us and could well have had a second. I mention them and their patterns of play, as they had a free transfer player from the Bundasliga playing for them and he looked great, that’s a reason I wouldn’t overpay beyond the current bid for Caicedo,. Their style and commitment dictated by their manager can make ok players look great.

Speaking of which, great ball by Cucurella for Jackson’s goal but some truly woeful defending by him, especially the third Brighton goal.

The boy Jackson is very, very promising - pacy, runs into gaps, interacts well with teammates when they need someone to bounce the ball off - links well. From the little I’ve seen of him, speaks well making good comments. His finish was brilliant, body shape and eyes to the keeper’s left-side and finishes to the opposite side. Really impressive from him, as was Nkunku. One chance, one goal - refreshing and hope he continues. He linked quite well also. 

Gusto defended well, and did a decent job on Mitoma - who’s quality. 

If Mudrych can keep that confidence and he and his teammates can interact the way shown for 30mins, then we have the makings of something special.

Promising, but a way to go to get us fluid and combative in our first two-thirds of the pitch.

So far, so good though.

Only seen extended highlights, so can't comment too much, but the points I picked out were...

The sending off, I've seen some on here saying the ref shouldn't have done it as only a friendly, but I don't agree with that at all, he shouldn't be flying into challenges the way he did for the second, absolutely reckless... what if he does that and ends someone's season before it begins? idiot.

Jackson... I don't want to get too excited, as after all he's a striker at Chelsea and that never usually ends well, but I can see why the scouting department wanted to get him in. He can finish, but his link-up play is brilliant as well, I think the other players are going to love playing with him.

I'm still not sure what we do about the GK situation. I don't think it's our biggest issue, however, until Kepa is replaced we won't be back at the very top table IMO. He's ok, but nothing more and that in turn doesn't fill the back line with confidence and just makes us look likely to concede in every game.

Colwill for the penalty is really poor, absolutely no reason to make that challenge and has shown his inexperience there. If I were him, I'd knuckle down this season and watch everything Silva does and try and learn from him while he has the chance.

Great to see Mudryk get a goal, lovely play and finish, if he can get some confidence up, then he could be big for us this season.

We clearly need to get some experienced heads in this squad. I'd consider leaving Caicedo where he is and using the money to get in a proven PL CB and CM, that have proper leadership qualities. This side as it is, will fold under any kind of pressure I fear.

The kit is lovely!

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, east lower said:

Stayed up to watch the game. Brighton were  what they were last season, instinctively knew where their teammates were and played in nice patterns, very sharp in the last third. Welbeck got his customary goal against us and could well have had a second. I mention them and their patterns of play, as they had a free transfer player from the Bundasliga playing for them and he looked great, that’s a reason I wouldn’t overpay beyond the current bid for Caicedo,. Their style and commitment dictated by their manager can make ok players look great.

Speaking of which, great ball by Cucurella for Jackson’s goal but some truly woeful defending by him, especially the third Brighton goal.

The boy Jackson is very, very promising - pacy, runs into gaps, interacts well with teammates when they need someone to bounce the ball off - links well. From the little I’ve seen of him, speaks well making good comments. His finish was brilliant, body shape and eyes to the keeper’s left-side and finishes to the opposite side. Really impressive from him, as was Nkunku. One chance, one goal - refreshing and hope he continues. He linked quite well also. 

Gusto defended well, and did a decent job on Mitoma - who’s quality. 

If Mudrych can keep that confidence and he and his teammates can interact the way shown for 30mins, then we have the makings of something special.

Promising, but a way to go to get us fluid and combative in our first two-thirds of the pitch.

So far, so good though.

Agreed.Personally, I think it’s already becoming clear that we don’t really need any superstars right now. You wouldn’t turn one down if available, but I think we need 2 experienced pro’s who know their position and know the game well and will compliment the team.

One as a CB option and one as a DM option ( as well as Caicedo)

If we had a Hjoberg type player to sit in there and direct things. Plus a safe pair of hands CB , like a Lindelof , Ogbonna, or what we had with Koulibaly. They would raise the level for a couple of seasons, whilst the younger players grow with experience. 

They may not play every week, but they would add to the whole structure and help the younger players manage and control games. Far from sexy signings, but they would add huge value to the club. 

• Like 1

Angelo looks like a real talent. Some really intelligent link up play and technical security with the ball. 

That might not seem like a lot but we have and have had senior footballers who can't do that.

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1