Official: Chelsea sign Moises Caicedo on 8 Year Contract

JaneB

13 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

It's a fair question kev.  Answers on the back of a postage stamp!

It could fit on the back of a postage stamp...either yes or no would suffice

Unfortunately some will consult the manual that explains why we should or shouldn't buy a player and if we do why we should or shouldn't play him.

Pleased we got this done, the fee is crazy, but it’s not my money and in signing him we’ve got ourselves a good player who could potentially be one of the best in his position for many years, it has also prevented a rival from getting him and strengthening in the are they so clearly need to strengthen!

As for him taking number 25, I don’t have any problem with it… it’s brave though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

If he can't refine his game with us what chances are he will refine his game with any other team?.

If a LB, who struggles to do anything with the ball at his feet that isn't shooting, gets games ahead of Mudryk at LW then you have to wonder what's going on there.

He would be even further down the pecking order if Nkunku didn't get an injury. 

Looks to me like he's the forward version of Cucurella at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

If a LB, who struggles to do anything with the ball at his feet that isn't shooting, gets games ahead of Mudryk at LW then you have to wonder what's going on there.

He would be even further down the pecking order if Nkunku didn't get an injury. 

Looks to me like he's the forward version of Cucurella at the moment. 

Actually Disasi was the addition that meant Mudryk missed out. 

The formation change was the key not Chilwell being favoured. 

Ignoring the Chilwell bait.

Anyone who watched Mudryk evolve in pre-season against premier league opposition knows that there's an incredible player there.

Sounds like you've already chosen your fall guys for the foreseeable future and so I won't waste my time trying to convince you any further. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 09:08, xceleryx said:

Or he could just stay here and play with a team that's got plenty of others in and around the same boat.

Mudryk desperately needs a big moment in s game which results in him scoring a well taken goal. That could relieve the tension in him in those  few crucial moments he's had and not taken advantage of. The longer he goes without that big moment the more the anxiety will increase and the more difficult it will become for him to settle down and play consistently well.

• Like 1

• JaneB changed the title to Official: Chelsea sign Moises Caicedo on 8 Year Contract

Anyone see the Sky interview with the Brighton CEO this morning , despite him stating quite clearly that Chelsea had been negotiating months before Liverpool made an approach ,  Hayley McQueen actually said that after Liverpool had their bid accepted , "Caicedo had his head turned by Chelsea".

He had his head turned by the club who'd been chasing his signature for a month before Liverpool "Leroy Jenkins-ed" the bid 

A childhood Chelsea supporter had his head turned by us , how very dare he. 

More anti Chelsea propaganda from another Liverpool-centric organisation , its ingrained behaviour , they don't even know they're doing it  anymore

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone see the Sky interview with the Brighton CEO this morning , despite him stating quite clearly that Chelsea had been negotiating months before Liverpool made an approach ,  Hayley McQueen actually said that after Liverpool had their bid accepted , "Caicedo had his head turned by Chelsea".

He had his head turned by the club who'd been chasing his signature for a month before Liverpool "Leroy Jenkins-ed" the bid 

A childhood Chelsea supporter had his head turned by us , how very dare he. 

More anti Chelsea propaganda from another Liverpool-centric organisation , its ingrained behaviour , they don't even know they're doing it  anymore

They know. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm starting to feel sorry for Caicedo.

He's had a solid season but seems to have a lot of detractors within the fan base.

The manager and his rubbish set up hasn't done him any favours either. He seems to be playing alone in midfield with defenders dropping too deep, Gallagher and whoever else pressing further up the field so you have Caicedo on an island trying to do the job of two people.

This isn't to say he hasn't had bad games or made mistakes (should have continued to track the runner on Tuesday). But on the whole I think he's had a good season despite the failings around him.

Just now, martin1905 said:

Whether we play 4231 or 433, it's up to people's interpretation a lot of the time one thing remains consistent.  Caicedo is the only one disciplined to do his job properly.  Enzo and Gallagher get caught out of position far too often. 

And as you rightly say, the defence is far too deep. 

So we allow two of our midfielders to  chase the ball high up the pitch, the idea I assume is to press high, but play a deep defensive line which is a recipe for disaster. Its schoolboy coaching.

Caicedo has well and truly been hung out to dry this season. Luckily we know he's quality and most people can see just how good he is but is being let down by an inept manager.

Yep 

far too much exposed midfield areas for my liking , I do wonder sometimes if this is why Gallagher is always the first name on the transfer list , not to blame him per se but the new regime bought in certain types of midfielders and you could argue he's the one who doesn't fit the mould they want ( number one he isn't one of their guys so no congratulatory slaps on the back for finding him) 

On 20/08/2023 at 17:36, johnnybozo said:

Taking the no. 25 is a dick move tbh. It's not like retiring a no. 9 or no. 8. It's a random shirt number not worn since Zola IIRC... Same as 26 I think they should've been retired.

Never understood this mentality but I suppose we all see things differently, just personally I couldn't care less what numbers players wear on the back of theirs shirts.

What I do find funny though is that when people talk about this they always, always fail to mention all the players that have worn the same number as our greatest ever player since he left. Never, ever mentioned. I guess it must just be the obscure ones people want to see retired.

If you were ever going to retire a shirt it should have been the number 11 after Munich, another one no-one seems to mind otheres wearing.

It's a funny old game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Whether we play 4231 or 433, it's up to people's interpretation a lot of the time one thing remains consistent.  Caicedo is the only one disciplined to do his job properly.  Enzo and Gallagher get caught out of position far too often. 

And as you rightly say, the defence is far too deep. 

So we allow two of our midfielders to  chase the ball high up the pitch, the idea I assume is to press high, but play a deep defensive line which is a recipe for disaster. Its schoolboy coaching.

Caicedo has well and truly been hung out to dry this season. Luckily we know he's quality and most people can see just how good he is but is being let down by an inept manager.

It really is. He cannot coach a compact, pressing team. The team  is split into two units: the defenders who are dropping off because they can't defend big spaces & the forwards who are being told to press high.

Then we'll be told by fellow supporters that Caicedo is crap because he can't stop a counter-attack on his own.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

If you think Caicedo has been anything other than a criminally colossal waste of money, I have some land on Jupiter to sell you.

Absolute shit, like 90% of Todd ‘n’ Eggy’s signings. 

Lol - case in point.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yep 

far too much exposed midfield areas for my liking , I do wonder sometimes if this is why Gallagher is always the first name on the transfer list , not to blame him per se but the new regime bought in certain types of midfielders and you could argue he's the one who doesn't fit the mould they want ( number one he isn't one of their guys so no congratulatory slaps on the back for finding him) 

I do actually think they've had a plan for the midfield signings.  The three we've spent out on look like thinking of a 3 man unit: 

Lavia - bigger, physically dominant DM 

Enzo - less physical, forward-looking passer of the ball 

Caicedo - Kante-type destroyer, presser, energy of the team.  

Caicedo strikes me as a bit like Essien... He's been asked to effectively be a DM (because we've not had anyone fit to play that role) and he's gone "Yep, i'll have a go at it." but we can all see it's not his best position nor the best use of his energy or his most obvious qualities. 

Add to that he's 21, at a new club, playing a bit out of position and in a team that clearly has no drilling on shape or tactical plan and he like others is going to have struggles. 

There's a lot more to come from him.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bison said:

It really is. He cannot coach a compact, pressing team. The team  is split into two units: the defenders who are dropping off because they can't defend big spaces & the forwards who are being told to press high.

Then we'll be told by fellow supporters that Caicedo is crap because he can't stop a counter-attack on his own.

I watched a lot of Broghton last season, I wanted to see what De Zerbi was all about, hence I watched a lot of Caicedo. 

What we are seeing is a shadow of him from last year, he played multiple positions/roles and was an absolute monster in all of them. He was phenomenal,  especially considering his age, so much so that I said he would be my number one transfer target last summer, above literally anyone else.

What he absolutely isn't is a lone holding midfielder. He can do it and with the right support do it well but he's utterly wasted there the way we are using him. It's almost as criminal as playing Kante there, although despite what people think that very rarely ever happened. What makes it worse is how we play, high press, low defensive line so he is so gle handedly trying to stop an entire team every time they break.

The best thing anyone could do would be to watch him last season compared to this. Very rarely gave the ball away, he's given it away far, far too many times this season but look at how isolated he is and where he's receiving the ball compared to last season and, being so isolated, how few options he has to move it on.

Theh maybe have a discussion. 

It boggles my mind some of the criticism our players are getting yet the manager seems to be getting a free pass from an awful lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I watched a lot of Broghton last season, I wanted to see what De Zerbi was all about, hence I watched a lot of Caicedo. 

What we are seeing is a shadow of him from last year, he played multiple positions/roles and was an absolute monster in all of them. He was phenomenal,  especially considering his age, so much so that I said he would be my number one transfer target last summer, above literally anyone else.

What he absolutely isn't is a lone holding midfielder. He can do it and with the right support do it well but he's utterly wasted there the way we are using him. It's almost as criminal as playing Kante there, although despite what people think that very rarely ever happened. What makes it worse is how we play, high press, low defensive line so he is so gle handedly trying to stop an entire team every time they break.

The best thing anyone could do would be to watch him last season compared to this. Very rarely gave the ball away, he's given it away far, far too many times this season but look at how isolated he is and where he's receiving the ball compared to last season and, being so isolated, how few options he has to move it on.

Theh maybe have a discussion. 

It boggles my mind some of the criticism our players are getting yet the manager seems to be getting a free pass from an awful lot.

I watched Brighton quite a bit too last season and saw exactly this. Caicedo is one of the best all-action midfielders in the world - he can cover ground, combine and pass all at a high level. That we're not seeing his true potential is a travesty but it shouldn't be a surprise; we are a very badly coached football team and he has midfield partners that aren't on his level so he suffers as a result.

Just now, Bison said:

I watched Brighton quite a bit too last season and saw exactly this. Caicedo is one of the best all-action midfielders in the world - he can cover ground, combine and pass all at a high level. That we're not seeing his true potential is a travesty but it shouldn't be a surprise; we are a very badly coached football team and he has midfield partners that aren't on his level so he suffers as a result.

He looks utterly lost at the moment and unsurprisingly I blame arch tactician MO-PO for it.