Chelsea 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

JaneB

Full time, Chelsea win 2-1 and go into the next round.

One of the more bizarre Matchday topics on here and one very few of us will be able to comment much on.

From what I read/saw, we absolutely dominated but made hard work of getting it over the line. Enzo controlled everything after coming on (as you’d expect), Madueke and Gallagher played well, big Les also put in a good performance and Sanchez did well when needed.

• Like 1

• JaneB changed the title to Chelsea 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

Not sure what that told us tonight, apart from potentially another key injury.

Cucurella played even though we're trying to loan him to Manure and he promptly reminded everyone he's a waste of time, even against 4th tier opposition.

We played a rag tag collection of kids/squad players with only 3 regulars and expected them to gel and roll over a well martialled team defense that was playing for penalties. Never going to happen Poch. If we had been knocked out tonight the honeymoon would have been over for you. The season will be short enough and there will be plenty of training ground and international break injuries without further rotation being neccessary. Play the strongest team every game regardless of the opposition, you don't know how long they will be available to you before voodoo strikes the next key player.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, chara said:

Hate statistics but Possession and Shots numbers were ridiculous for a 2-1 win!

Need to check the 8-0 game to see what the same numbers were !

Never understood the obsession with possession which has permeated top tier football ever since 'tiki taka' became so popular. I much prefer cutting direct through balls, running at defenders with pace, and whipping crosses in to the box than the recycling possession endlessly trope.

• Agree 1

image.thumb.jpeg.551e53979f0a39afc041d397d09e7c0b.jpegHaribo Third round draw

Ipswich Town v Wolves
Exeter City v Luton Town
Aston Villa v Everton Manchester United v Crystal Palace
Port Vale v Sutton United
Bradford City v Middlesbrough Bournemouth v Stoke City
Lincoln City v West Ham Brentford v Arsenal
Chelsea v Brighton
Salford City v Burnley
Fulham v Norwich City Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City
Liverpool v Leicester City
Newcastle United v Manchester City
Mansfield Town v Peterborough

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

We need Salford or such...an eye watering choice for the masses....only chance to get the game televised !

I'm thinking Mansfield v Peterborough and Exeter v Luton for the salivating television football audience!

Caught the highlights, hard to really draw a conclusion from much of it. 

From what I could see Madueke looked bright, Enzo seemed to be at the bulk of what good play we had in the second half after coming on, and Cucurella was quite involved himself. 

Looking at the player ratings Madueke, Gallagher and Cucurella were the three top rated from the starting eleven, with Enzo the stand out sub. 

Fairly pitiful a game like this isn't shown anywhere though, particularly in this day and age, 

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

I listened to the game, saw the highlights and the stats sheet after the game and I genuinely cannot believe what this journalist has said. How can you just lie so blatantly like this?

• 84% possession to 16%
  • 23 shots to 10
  • 9 shots on target to 2
  • 10 corners to 6
  • 5 big chances to 1
  • 2 counter attacks to 0
  • 8 shots inside the box to 5
  • 15 shots outside the box to 5
  • 1 GK save to 7
  • 91% to 49% pass accuracy
  • Possession lost 127 to 112
  • 58 duels won to 36
  • 26 aerials won to 11
  • 9 clearances to 32

I'm sure Wimbledon dug in and made it tough, and we certainly appeared to be wasteful, but Nizaar is sprouting absolute bollocks as per usual. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, xceleryx said:
  • 84% possession to 16%
  • 23 shots to 10
  • 9 shots on target to 2
  • 10 corners to 6
  • 5 big chances to 1
  • 2 counter attacks to 0
  • 8 shots inside the box to 5
  • 15 shots outside the box to 5
  • 1 GK save to 7
  • 91% to 49% pass accuracy
  • Possession lost 127 to 112
  • 58 duels won to 36
  • 26 aerials won to 11
  • 9 clearances to 32

I'm sure Wimbledon dug in and made it tough, and we certainly appeared to be wasteful, but Nizaar is sprouting absolute bollocks as per usual. 

It's very weird that Nizaar and Steinberg (who support Man Utd and West Ham respectively) have made  careers of reporting negatively on all things Chelsea. 

Steinberg, in particular, still being 'our' correspondent for a major newspaper even after this emegered is quite something:

image.png.d07bee42765b8b8ac6f75d45db74823e.png