Official: Chelsea sign Djordje Petrovic on a 7 Year Contract

JaneB

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

I agree - but there has to be a silver lining in the dark cloud you see.

I'll be honest with you - I am one step away from walking away from the obscene money involved.

No dark cloud.

Billy Beane would have been proud of this and last January’s transfer windows. 

• 3 months later...
On 01/12/2023 at 19:18, Bison said:

Surely this chap should get a game sooner rather than later? Or would that be too much of an embarrassment for those responsible for signing Brighton's third choice goalkeeper for 20m?

This chart also suggests we should replace Sanchez with Onana..

Edited by SideshowLuiz
  • Haha 1

On 01/12/2023 at 11:18, Bison said:

Surely this chap should get a game sooner rather than later? Or would that be too much of an embarrassment for those responsible for signing Brighton's third choice goalkeeper for 20m?

6 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

This chart also suggests we should replace Sanchez with Onana..

I'm not really sure what that chart is supposed to show.

Onana has been horrific for United, but he is in the top right corner. What does that prove?

48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm not really sure what that chart is supposed to show.

Onana has been horrific for United, but he is in the top right corner. What does that prove?

That goalkeepers shouldn't be judged by 2 metrics. 

Don't intend to be rude @Bison, I regularly used stats like these to fault Kepa too, but that was just ultimately confirmation bias for how I felt - that Kepa failed the 'eye test'.  I presume Sanchez fails the eye test for Bison, but, imo Sanchez passes (for now, at least).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SideshowLuiz said:

That goalkeepers shouldn't be judged by 2 metrics. 

Don't intend to be rude @Bison, I regularly used stats like these to fault Kepa too, but that was just ultimately confirmation bias for how I felt - that Kepa failed the 'eye test'.  I presume Sanchez fails the eye test for Bison, but, imo Sanchez passes (for now, at least).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan. Someone yesterday likened him to David James. Big, commanding, capable of great saves, but equally capable of a howler. 

That said, aside from the Arsenal game, I wouldn't blame him for any game we have failed to win this season.

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

I went to the game yesterday.  I thought Sanchez's kicking was largely poor (and the tedium of the over-elaborate 'play out from the back' garbage was annoying in the first half), but he made a few decent saves and took a few crosses when we needed some presence. 

He's by no means perfect, but like many of the rest of the squad could probably be a fair bit better if we actually had a tactical plan and set up from the manager. 

Edited by Bert19

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan. Someone yesterday likened him to David James. Big, commanding, capable of great saves, but equally capable of a howler. 

That said, aside from the Arsenal game, I wouldn't blame him for any game we have failed to win this season.

I think he is exactly what his price tag says - a £25mil goalkeeper. Yes, distribution needs to be worked on, but I think he's a decent enough shot stopper and does great aerially (we scored our 3rd yesterday because of him claiming a cross and starting a quick counter).

He's not an elite keeper by any means (and he didn't cost an elite amount), but we have more pressing areas up front to address first in the market.

It's just unfortunate for Petrovic that Poch has treated our cup games as must-win to string together some form for the team - don't really see where he gets any game time if Poch won't even play him against Blackburn.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Like the fact that he played long quite a bit, very refreshing. 

Sanchez  is horrific at playing out from the back but does nothing but. To be fair though apart from that I quite like him.

Petrovic is clearly just as bad but chose to go long more often than not, which probably doesn't bode well for him because regardless of how bad Sanchez he's clearly instructed to do so. I doubt Poch was too happy with all the long balls against Newcastle. 

I don't think either keeper likes being pressed (does anyone?). For me, kicking long is fine if you are reasonably accurate and the person up front is not a midget. You also need the pace to support quickly. A team with either Broja/Jackson and Mudryk should be fine. However, they should mix it up with playing out because as often as not, you end up giving the ball away. On the other hand, losing the ball in your final third is far worse, so always playing out is also a risk. Also, it is likely to invite being pressed. Both keepers need to learn to do both things and learn which to choose. I am sure Petrovic will be getting a lot of help on this from Kevin Hitchcock.

On 20/12/2023 at 11:18, Bison said:

Looks good for the most part. Hasn't embarrassed himself with bad passing either - he keeps it simple and knocks it long when there isn't a short option. Very promising. 

Got probably about 10 games minimum to make the shirt his own.  Much easier to get some rhythm than the odd cup game

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Bison said:

This was an unbelievable save:

Hasn't made a single mistake since coming in. He shouldn't lose his place but the Brighton cabal run the club so I'm expecting Sanchez will walk back into the team. 

You think?  

It was a header from 11 yards away and directly above his head.  If he doesn't get his hands to that it is a disaster, and he very nearly pushed it in not over.
He has been solid, but I wouldn't call that special.

Didn't cover himself in glory for their second either.  If that had been Kepa....

32 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

You think?  

It was a header from 11 yards away and directly above his head.  If he doesn't get his hands to that it is a disaster, and he very nearly pushed it in not over.

Didn't cover himself in glory for their second either.  If that had been Kepa....

Yes, absolutely world class save. One of the best I've seen this season. Has made absolutely zero mistakes with playing out from the back too. Keeping it simple when necessary and playing on the floor when possible instead of forcing it and making the same mistakes Sanches wa snaking 4or 5 times a game. 

Second save was good too and you'd hope your defenders would get on the end of that but they were ball watching. 

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

You think?  

11 yards..... Stop it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

11 yards..... Stop it. 

look at the video - he is outside the 6 yard box level with the corner of it.  It is quite clear.

10 1/2 to 11 yards depending on where the keeper is standing exactly.
Note: he heads it a lot further out than where he falls.

22 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

look at the video - he is outside the 6 yard box level with the corner of it.  It is quite clear.

10 1/2 to 11 yards depending on where the keeper is standing exactly.
Note: he heads it a lot further out than where he falls.

12 yards is the penalty spot 

Have another go. 

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

12 yards is the penalty spot 

Have another go. 

Just where do you think he headed the ball?  (not where he landed)
Go check the video
image.thumb.png.0f5355f47e100856af8f85d46380ccf8.png

Do you really think I didn't triple check the video, the size of the 6 yard box and the pythagoras arithmetic before I posted the distance?

Edited by Dwmh

On 30/12/2023 at 22:29, Dwmh said:

Just where do you think he headed the ball?  (not where he landed)
Go check the video
image.thumb.png.0f5355f47e100856af8f85d46380ccf8.png

Do you really think I didn't triple check the video, the size of the 6 yard box and the pythagoras arithmetic before I posted the distance?

About 8 yards?

Nominated for PL save of the month too, BTW.

Capture11.PNG

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

About 8 yards?

Nominated for PL save of the month too, BTW.

Capture11.PNG

Good photo.  8 yards is the distance the goal line, about 2 yards beyond the post.  So 8 yards forwards, 8 yards to the left, pythagoras  says that is over 11 yards.

Perfect positioning by Petrovic certainly.