Official: Chelsea sign Djordje Petrovic on a 7 Year Contract

JaneB

17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Nominated for PL save of the month too, BTW.

Dam,

If he wins that, he's guaranteed to drop a bollock in the next match after the award. Bit like Manger of the Month curse "Just ask Eric two bob" 😀

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I really really hope Sanchez doesn’t come back into the team. I think we’ve finally found a keeper that is stable enough to be number 1 and allow us spend elsewhere.

I’m not suggesting he’s a world class keeper, but for where we are in our rebuild, a safe pair of hands will be very valuable.

Will be very interesting to see how Sanchez reacts if Petrovic keeps his place (as he he should). 

I read he fell out with the Brighton manager last year after he was dropped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I really really hope Sanchez doesn’t come back into the team. I think we’ve finally found a keeper that is stable enough to be number 1 and allow us spend elsewhere.

I’m not suggesting he’s a world class keeper, but for where we are in our rebuild, a safe pair of hands will be very valuable.

The only thing left for him to prove is how he reacts when the inevitable clanger is dropped which costs us a goal. If he shrugs it off as something which happens to every keeper every now and then, then he'll likely go on to be our keeper for a long time to come.

As you said, he might not be world class, but apart from Alison, who is? He's roughly as good as the rest of the keepers which is all we need to have. A good keeper for a great price!🙂

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Bison said:

Will be very interesting to see how Sanchez reacts if Petrovic keeps his place (as he he should). 

He did sign initially as competition for Kepa, who was still set to be our number one before Courtios got injured and Real Madrid came in for him. In that sense, there'd be no great change if Sanchez did end up backing up Petrovic. 

That being said he may feel differently now after being number for a period.

Happy to keep him around as our number two, but right now Petrovic needs to hang onto the starting job. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah he could turn out to be another Carlo Cudicini ...a 'world class' keeper who was 26 when he joined us for the price of Wayne Rooney's hair transplant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bison said:

I read he fell out with the Brighton manager last year after he was dropped to third choice

corrected

10 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

The only thing left for him to prove is how he reacts when the inevitable clanger is dropped which costs us a goal. If he shrugs it off as something which happens to every keeper every now and then, then he'll likely go on to be our keeper for a long time to come.

As you said, he might not be world class, but apart from Alison, who is? He's roughly as good as the rest of the keepers which is all we need to have. A good keeper for a great price!🙂

How do you know a world class keeper  when you see one?.Chara could help us in that department.

How do you know a world class player when you see one?.I think I know it.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

How do you know a world class keeper  when you see one?.Chara could help us in that department.

How do you know a world class player when you see one?.I think I know it.

I have opinions on many things.

As someone who sometimes  struggles to tell the difference between my arsehole and a hole on the ground, I don't proclaim to be an expert on any of them though! 

16 hours ago, Bison said:

I thought it was the other way round? In that there was a falling out first, then he was dropped.

I'm always a bit dubious of Who Scored analyses. Here, for example, they present stats showing Sanchez has better passing accuracy over short and long distance. I can completely believe it. What that analysis misses, though, is where the inaccurate passes go and what the impact of them is. My eye-test tells me Petrovic isn't booting into touch or straight to pressing attackers nearly as much as Sanchez, and that his misplaced passes have been more benign. 

I like Petrovic, but his main attraction for lots of us (understandably!) is that he isn't Sanchez.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm always a bit dubious of Who Scored analyses. Here, for example, they present stats showing Sanchez has better passing accuracy over short and long distance. I can completely believe it. What that analysis misses, though, is where the inaccurate passes go and what the impact of them is. My eye-test tells me Petrovic isn't booting into touch or straight to pressing attackers nearly as much as Sanchez, and that his misplaced passes have been more benign. 

I like Petrovic, but his main attraction for lots of us (understandably!) is that he isn't Sanchez.

Yes, it comes down to risk versus reward.

If a GK makes 9 successful short passes to defenders / midfielders, then the 10th goes straight to an attacker, that is infinitely worse than a GK who makes 5 successful short passes, and the other 5 clear the halfway line to nobody

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If a GK makes 9 successful short passes to defenders / midfielders, then the 10th goes straight to an attacker, that is infinitely worse than a GK who makes 5 successful short passes, and the other 5 clear the halfway line to nobody

That's the thing, it's even more complicated than that ... If the outcome of those 5 successful but safe passes is pointless recycling and the outcome of the 9 riskier passes more likely to go to an attacker is a quick turnover of play and opportunities to attack ... it isn't worse imo.

I'm not convinced Sanchez's overall more accurate passing is achieving much, mind. But then is that because of him?

I'd never make it as a coach!

I think the biggest thing we can take from this is that Petrovic instills more confidence in most of us than Sanchez so you'd imagine that he also does to the players around him .

I have to go back to his first few games this season and although he improved there were games where Sanchez was to coin a phrase 

"going down in installments" it was laughable at times and I mean that literally , I laughed . 

I think he's got ability as a keeper , makes some good saves but on balance I much prefer Petrovic calm under fire approach 

• Like 1

I would much rather have a GK who is very good at his first job, which is stopping shots and has average distribution than have it the other way around. Very few goalkeepers are very good at both things IMO.

Petrovic's distribution isn't that bad to be fair, but he is as others have said, a lot more safe than Sanchez, but if we're trying to rebuild, we need solid foundations and they almost always start at the back. Get the GK right, it will be easier to get the back 4 right and once that's in place, the rest can start to play a more natural confident game, knowing that those behind them have got them covered.

Does anyone remember what Petr Cech's distribution was like? Probably not, because it didn't matter as he was a ridiculously good goalkeeper.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That's the thing, it's even more complicated than that ... If the outcome of those 5 successful but safe passes is pointless recycling and the outcome of the 9 riskier passes more likely to go to an attacker is a quick turnover of play and opportunities to attack ... it isn't worse imo.

I'm not convinced Sanchez's overall more accurate passing is achieving much, mind. But then is that because of him?

I'd never make it as a coach!

Yes, I get that. If the higher risk passing was leading to a net positive effect on the attacking (versus whatever negative you get from the one that goes wrong) then the one that goes wrong is something you could take on the chin. Like you, I don't see it though. 

I can't help but feel the whole football world has been hoodwinked by this new playing out from the back style, which Pep's City and Barca were so good at executing (not withstanding they have / had incredible players). It seems every week on MOTD, you see at least two PL conceded somewhere by a defender getting caught in possession, trying to be prime Busquets. How many positive attacks do you need to create from the passes before one goal conceded makes it a net negative?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, I get that. If the higher risk passing was leading to a net positive effect on the attacking (versus whatever negative you get from the one that goes wrong) then the one that goes wrong is something you could take on the chin. Like you, I don't see it though. 

I can't help but feel the whole football world has been hoodwinked by this new playing out from the back style, which Pep's City and Barca were so good at executing (not withstanding they have / had incredible players). It seems every week on MOTD, you see at least two PL conceded somewhere by a defender getting caught in possession, trying to be prime Busquets. How many positive attacks do you need to create from the passes before one goal conceded makes it a net negative?

This is probably a simplistic view of things but surely , if you were a "counter attacking" side like many in the division are , it would make more sense to get your keeper to go long and cede possession miles from your own goal so you can win it back on the counter nearer the opposition goal?

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I guess it is just me, but I found Sanchez a more than comptent keeper and a much better distributor than Petrovic.

There was an incident when Sanchez made a bad pass and someone on here pointed to the GK coach telling him to be braver with his passing just a couple of minutes earlier.  Certainly Petrovic plays it safe and Sanchez doesn't.  That probably suits the park footballer on this forum (and me too).  Whether it suits the GK coach or more importanly Poch i don't know.  I guess we won't find out unless Sanchez gets fit quick  🙂

On Petrovic he has played 7 games so far.  Sheff U, a weak Newcastle, Wolves, Palace, Luton, 2 Championship teams, and Fulham.
Only Luton put us under much pressure.  If he looked rocky after those 7 games I'd be really worried.
Sanchez has faced some much better sides.

For my money Kepa is as good a Keeper as either and a far better distributor but I suspect he'd rather be No 2 to Courtois next season than come back here.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

yes.  This is is a call Poch should be making not the GK or GK coach.  

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Does anyone remember what Petr Cech's distribution was like? Probably not, because it didn't matter as he was a ridiculously good goalkeeper.

My guess would be that Courtois took over a year earlier because his distribution was better.
It wasn't a big thing in the naughties, it became one later on.  Cech was at least able to match Courtois on length of kick up to Drogba.  Without Drogba, Cech's distribution was lessened.

16 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

What evidence is there otherwise? 

Both are what is written on the label 2nd it 3rd choice keeper for a top club. 

more evidence of the new Chelsea bar. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Both are what is written on the label 2nd it 3rd choice keeper for a top club. 

more evidence of the new Chelsea bar. 

They have a new bar? Always a bonus when trying to knock down your half time pint. 

• Agree 1