Chelsea 0 Nottingham Forest 1

JaneB

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

All I am saying is at least that's someone proven up front who can deliver.

The only other signing you can say that of is Sterling.

We are relying on Jackson, Palmer, Mudryk, and Madueke to get us out of these tight situations.

He isn’t proven. He’s never played for Chelsea. He isn’t proven. At all. 

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We are relying on Jackson, Palmer, Mudryk, and Madueke to get us out of these tight situations.

This is exactly why I was saying from the minute the window opened to the minute it closed that we needed to get in some proven and experienced players to help us out when the going gets tough.

I’d rather have been able to bring on James Milner and Jamie Vardy today than Mudryk, Madueke and Palmer.

Im not for one minute suggesting those are the players we should have signed but they’re the most extreme end of experience I can think of. My point is that sometimes you need a few players on the pitch that have played the game and league for years and understand how to manage the situation and unlock it in those difficult and frustrating moments.

Our lack  of experience will cost us on so many occasions this season.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We miss Nkunku badly.

No proof because Nkunku, has never played a game in the PL. 

BTW, Newcastle beat Brighton 2-1 in the USA friendlies. Just putting a bit of prospective into your statement on Nkunku. 

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

This is exactly why I was saying from the minute the window opened to the minute it closed that we needed to get in some proven and experienced players to help us out when the going gets tough.

I’d rather have been able to bring on James Milner and Jamie Vardy today than Mudryk, Madueke and Palmer.

Im not for one minute suggesting those are the players we should have signed but they’re the most extreme end of experience I can think of. My point is that sometimes you need a few players on the pitch that have played the game and league for years and understand how to manage the situation and unlock it in those difficult and frustrating moments.

I'd say experience up front in particular is key, which is why Sterling has been critical for us this season.

Maddison is looking a good shout on that front at the moment. Proven difference maker in the Premier League.

We cannot put the ball in net. We consistently cannot put the ball in the net.

And yet we have invested the vast majority of our funds in defence and centre midfield.

6 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

He isn’t proven. He’s never played for Chelsea. He isn’t proven. At all. 

My point is at least he's not completely unproven.

At least he's not 22. At least he has some experience playing in the Champions League, etc.

We have four / five of those kinds of players up front you'd hope at least one can bang.

We have got two - Sterling and Nkunku. The rest are really young.

18 minutes ago, chara said:

We have problems BUT what is happening to Newcastle?

Newcastle also have an average manager that can't coach patterns of play or attacking football so they look bad whenever they play a team that can stand up to their physicality and play around them.

8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Not sure why we didn't try for Watkins of Villa?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

My point is at least he's not completely unproven.

At least he's not 22. At least he has some experience playing in the Champions League, etc.

We have four / five of those kinds of players up front you'd hope at least one can bang.

We have got two - Sterling and Nkunku. The rest are really young.

Mudryk also has experience playing in the Champions league.  How's that working out for you? 😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Newcastle also have an average manager that can't coach patterns of play or attacking football so they look bad whenever they play a team that can stand up to their physicality and play around them.

I've never seen a dirtier side, they must have made 150 fouls in the first ten minutes, got exactly what they deserved from the game. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've never seen a dirtier side, they must have made 150 fouls in the first ten minutes, got exactly what they deserved from the game. 

They have some good players but their style of play is awful. It's just pace and power with very little guile or control. It works against the weakest teams in the league and last year was a weak league overall.

Edited by Bison
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Maddison absolutely flying now he's in a better team than Leicester, I still don't know why we didn't look at him.

He’s left adolescence so he is disqualified. Personally he’d be the first player I’d sign if I owned Chelsea. But I don’t so we have to make do with unknown teenagers from South America or some random African dude from the French league. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Nevermind City as they're on another planet from us. But i would go further and say we even look levels below even the likes of Spurs.

I'm not trying to be too over the top here, but any team which can easily conceed against any team in the league but struggle to score against any team, could be in serious trouble of becoming involved in a relegation battle. 

Much like last season (which was why I was so sure Tuchel was a dead man walking). Worst part is that apart from Nkunku we can’t deflect blame… Spending £1bn and not addressing our lack of goals is ludicrous. We could have spent £200m on a goalscorer and we’d be much better off. Both now but also in the long term. 

On 01/09/2023 at 13:45, Sleeping Dave said:

Underestimate Forest at your peril. Should have won at Old Trafford (and would have with an objective ref). Strongest possible team for this one which means;

Sanchez

Gusto - Silva - Colwill - Chilwell

Gallagher - Caicedo

Sterling - Enzo - Madueke

Jackson

How can it even be slightly controversial to hope for us to not play a back five at home to Forest? This is Conte all over again, go back to basics and play 4231. It really doesn’t have to be this hard, Poch is trying to be way too clever and it isn’t working. So gutless, I though Poch was all about stamina, pace and attacking play. Seem like he is more about slow, cumbersome and defensive sides these days. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree Sam. There was a glimmer of hope for me when we signed a 25 year old Disasi that maybe the owners (or whoever makes these decisions) recognised we need some experience in the squad. 

Last summer we brought in more experienced players on big wages - Sterling, KK, Cucurella and the preagreement for Nkunku shortly after. We then did a 180 from January onwards taking punts on the next big thing. Given Ckearlake were trying to by a prem team for about 2 years I thought they would have had a more coherent plan.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, chara said:

Yeah always interesting reading the game day views...look forward to them.

Best I could do is turgid. It was close to last season in terms of lack of invention and lack of leadership.

Worst of all was that we were out worked and came a long way second in terms of determination and endeavour. 

Nothing I saw from the touchline changed anything. Personally I thought we were disgraceful.

• Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Has anyone else completely given up on Mudryk?

I am willing to give Palmer, Madueke, etc. time.

I see no way back for Mudryk and think he will be sold soon.

Consistent stinker after stinker every time he plays.

8 year contract. He not going anywhere whatever, regardless of what the club wants. 

look at Cacedio, it’s now player power. 

Unless  fancies Saudi next summer. 

unfortunately the club have to reap what it sows 

Edited by ROTG

On a bright note, if things go similar to last season and Poch gets the chop, I have a feeling it will at least only be a new manager that's needed, and a few new additions as with other clubs.

We have a young squad that needs to develop now - IMO we have done our complete overhaul of most of the deadwood this summer and hopefully will see more stability moving forward.

56 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Has anyone else completely given up on Mudryk?

I am willing to give Palmer, Madueke, etc. time.

I see no way back for Mudryk and think he will be sold soon.

Consistent stinker after stinker every time he plays.

£88m. Talk about a mindfuck of epic proportions. When you think about that and that we are selling out or soul because of signings like that my blood boils. 

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

£88m. Talk about a mindfuck of epic proportions. When you think about that and that we are selling out or soul because of signings like that my blood boils. 

£66m.  No way he's hitting bonus targets. 

3 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Also, pinning so much on Jackson being our saviour upfront looks like a serious mistake. All that money spent and we’re going nowhere. Poch has really screwed up the opening few games and this is an easy start for us. What happens when we get into a difficult run? So pissed off. Where do we go from here? 

To be fair to Jackson Sterling wasn't there for much of the game. I agree about the manager however. We looked well set up in preseason then immediately change formation when the season started. I'm sure there's a rational theory behind this, I just don't see it myself.

We looked so good in preseason.  Playing an attacking style and letting the players we bought run and attack.  Now we have no BALLS !!!   Three center backs and get scored on every time a team goes on the attack 

Let these kids off the chain and let lose.  If we lose a game it wont be because we were playing sideways for 85 minutes ( inviting pressure) until we fall behind.  

• Agree 1