Chelsea 0 Nottingham Forest 1

JaneB

7 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I agree but I think you let Mudryk in particular off the hook.

He has been nothing short of shocking in every sub appearance I have seen.

Impossible to play him unless he shows something off the bench.

At least Madueke does - and he hasn't been great.

Just to be clear. I agree Mudryk has not done a great deal to justify starting , but I remain convinced it is our only chance to get a tune out of him. He looks so timid and devoid of confidence and when he does come on as a sub, he is too naive and lacking in confidence to make any impact. It’s a catch 22 really, but I don’t think we will get anything out of him, until he gets a run of 7-8 games . Which on form is quite hard to justify. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Has anyone else completely given up on Mudryk?

I am willing to give Palmer, Madueke, etc. time.

I see no way back for Mudryk and think he will be sold soon.

Consistent stinker after stinker every time he plays.

I think he has very low confidence and its up to Poch to find the player if there is one. Still undecided here. 

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

On other strange purchases - Sanchez.

Clearly we wanted to get Kepa off the wage bill but we've signed Brighton's number 2 in the process.

There's a reason De Zerbi swapped him out for Steele.

Kepa is doing ok in Madrid. Good for him. 

45 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

The other issue that does not help is we have so many players new to the club and trying to find their feet, yet some cannot get a regular run of games cos of so many alternative options.

No that is P1ss poor management from the sporting group. since the end of last season this season was only a 38 game season with maybe a cup run. Therefore It does not take rocket science to determine you squad size. 

to many people with fingers in the pie.

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Just to be clear. I agree Mudryk has not done a great deal to justify starting , but I remain convinced it is our only chance to get a tune out of him. He looks so timid and devoid of confidence and when he does come on as a sub, he is too naive and lacking in confidence to make any impact. It’s a catch 22 really, but I don’t think we will get anything out of him, until he gets a run of 7-8 games . Which on form is quite hard to justify. 

Agree with this. I've also been wondering whether Mudryk needs a PL loan where he can get those 7-8 games. Unfortunately that's not feasible for us to do now. 

40 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Mudryk lacks any actual football ability. He's good at one thing and one thing only which is running fast in a straight line without the ball. You very rarely see a player this fundamentally bad (both tactically and technically) so it's actually interesting to watch him in a way. He looks timid and is devoid of confidence because he's completely out of his depth at this level and he knows it.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

Mudryk lacks any actual football ability. He's good at one thing and one thing only which is running fast in a straight line without the ball. You very rarely see a player this fundamentally bad (both tactically and technically) so it's actually interesting to watch him in a way. He looks timid and is devoid of confidence because he's completely out of his depth at this level and he knows it.

Agreed. Looks great in international games and less competitive leagues. Can't cut it at this level.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

On other strange purchases - Sanchez.

Clearly we wanted to get Kepa off the wage bill but we've signed Brighton's number 2 in the process.

There's a reason De Zerbi swapped him out for Steele.

Didn't have much to do today, but what he did was poor IMO. Slow getting down to the shot but not many would have got to it, threw the ball into the back of a Forest player which could have gone horribly wrong, distribution was slow and wayward or overhit at times. Downgrade on Kepa IMO, hope the other chap is good

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bison said:

Based on what we have seen so far, it’s hard to disagree…..but there has to be more to this. Whilst the Ukrainian league is not the strongest, he played for the top team and was their star player. He must have shown a high level to achieve this, he must have also showed ability for Arsenal and Chelsea to be courting him for quite a while…….finally De Zerbi had him as a player and he is widely regarded as one of the top managers around right now. He knows that hat talent Mudryk has, he has also been on record eulogising about how good Mudryk can become. He even suggested the talent to win the Ballon D’or.

So whilst I don’t disagree with what you are saying , as it’s very hard to disagree. There are more than enough reasons to suggest he must have something. I find it hard to believe that a combination of Shakthar , Arsenal , Chelsea and De Zerbi have all got this completely wrong. It just don’t stack in my mind. 

28 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

image.thumb.png.e108d785694a58dd87ccf35190843451.png

Thought I'd just share something positive. I quite enjoyed watching Cole Palmer today. He didn't have long to make much of a difference, but what he contributed was positive. Hope he starts next game.

He was excellent.He certainly stood out when he came on.Now this might be because most of the team around him looked awful - but if I were a scout and looking at him for the first time I would be excited.

He looked good on the ball and his movement looked excellent,always in the thick of things

Another one to mention is Maatsen.Everytime he got the ball he was driving forward,just what we need.

He stood out pre - season and then benched...why?.

Too early to judge Poch of course,but he is getting quite a few easy calls wrong which worries me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, chara said:

@kev61...on from your thoughts...ask any group of defenders and they will tell you one their worst nightmare is a fast tricky winger (type) running at them in a crowded area...invariably players try to close him down regardless of their alloted roles.... when Raheem does that he is priceless and a penalty decision waiting to happen or a goal threat but when he is shuffled out of harms way or chooses to stay out of that scenario he is just another player on the pass around schedule.... not his fault alone by any means but he is a senior player and cannot be allowed to provide cameos as he feels inclined.

Doom and Gloom today..understandably so but a long season ...lets see in November....

All very true.Time and time again Gusto was getting the ball wide and had no - one in front of him with Sterling playing his own game.

Does Poch not see that?,is he too scared to bring Sterling into line? or is Sterling ignoring instructions? - I don't get it.

Edited by kev61
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

If that is true? then I find it very concerning they would discount signing a player( (a clearly good premiership one at that) just because he's a year older than their ideal age bracket.  If I was the manager or player I might start thinking those at the top are completely clueless and out of their depth.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Proud-Blue said:

image.thumb.png.e108d785694a58dd87ccf35190843451.png

Thought I'd just share something positive. I quite enjoyed watching Cole Palmer today. He didn't have long to make much of a difference, but what he contributed was positive. Hope he starts next game.

The jury is still out on him until he gets a run in the team, however I managed to catch up with the game and he came on against a very very defensive team and he himself was picking the ball up from deep areas, I'm waiting to see him start a game where the other team is also playing football and allowing no space to us anywhere in their own half. If Poch doesn't sort out his system quickly we could see Madeuke, Mudryk and Palmer playing off the bench for the whole season. Wingers/attackers need to be playing and from the start in order for them to figure each other out and build links, Poch is doing none of them favours with sticking to his weird system of playing so many defenders and central mids.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

If that is true? then I find it very concerning they would discount signing a player( (a clearly good premiership one at that) just because he's a year older than their ideal age bracket.  If I was the manager or player I might start thinking those at the top are completely clueless and out of their depth.

"Concerning"? it's lunacy if true.I hear some people saying we miss Nkunku  and James as if everything  we be ok when they return....Codswollop!.There is enough quality in the squad to easily beat Forest at home.

I'm really beginning to believe our new owners haven't a clue and I don't say that without thought.

Edited by kev61
  • Agree 2

Haven’t seen the game but is Mudryk a better player than CHO?  If so then how much better? What does he do better? Is he more versatile? Will he score more goals?
We paid 81 m and gave him a 7 year contract . We’ve just given away CHO to forest for 5m.  We could have saved the 81m  and brought an academy player back who at least has some feeling for the club. 

38 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

The jury is still out on him until he gets a run in the team, however I managed to catch up with the game and he came on against a very very defensive team and he himself was picking the ball up from deep areas, I'm waiting to see him start a game where the other team is also playing football and allowing no space to us anywhere in their own half. If Poch doesn't sort out his system quickly we could see Madeuke, Mudryk and Palmer playing off the bench for the whole season. Wingers/attackers need to be playing and from the start in order for them to figure each other out and build links, Poch is doing none of them favours with sticking to his weird system of playing so many defenders and central mids.

The thing that gets me is how many times have we started well only to slide into mediocrity?.

We look like nothing compared to pre-season.

The only thing I can think of is the manager panics and the players can sense he's panicking.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

Mudryk lacks any actual football ability. He's good at one thing and one thing only which is running fast in a straight line without the ball. 

Mudryk is a downgrade on Werner. Which is some statement. Reminds me of Overmars at Arsenal. Runs fast down the wing, but you should never pass him the ball.

I've watched a fair bit of pre-season and all matches in the Prem so far. It strikes me that:

* The Nkunku injury has completely ballsed up Pochs plan for the season. He was the Hazard/Fabregas link man to unlock the 'park the bus' teams like Forest. Without him, Jackson is all at sea, and we look no different from late Tuchel era or Potter era or 2nd Lamps era Chelsea. Total possession, zero end product.

* If one player (Aina) man marks Raz effectively, then Raz is invisible. Emerson was never a good defender, hence Raz was fantastic against West Ham. Aina defended like a beast and...

* Silva should be benched, drop Chilwell back to LB, and get Noni on the feffing pitch from the start.

* Without Nkunku, should we surrender possession, play classic Mou counter attacking footy with Mudryk (Robben 2.0) standing on halfway waiting for the break. After all it's worked for West Ham and Forest against us so far...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1