Chelsea 0 Nottingham Forest 1

JaneB

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

And yet ironically, our best signing so far seems to be the guy currently in James' position.

He looked good pre season...makes me wonder how automatic a Reece return will be when he is fit?

Anyone have thoughts of Gusto at LB in the footsteps of Dave?...just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I would have gone for Nagelsmann but I still think Poch could be a decent choice to take us through this transition.

I always said he was never the guy to take us to the promised land.

Good shout, I think Poch's issue is he's a manager who needs mentoring, himself while trying to mentor players who need a serious level or mentoring; I'm talking Wenger level mentoring.

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Is it because Nkunku and James got injured?
I feel like he's playing safer because we lost those two key players.

He played like this when James was fit though and if losing Nkunku has forced him to make such drastic changes, he should have told the owners we needed to sign someone in his mould to cover the injury. It's easy to say from the outside, but I just don't get the Colwill at LB thing.

1 minute ago, chara said:

He looked good pre season...makes me wonder how automatic a Reece return will be when he is fit?

Anyone have thoughts of Gusto at LB in the footsteps of Dave?...just a thought.

I think it does mean we finally won't rush James back and instead give him the time to make sure he is properly fit. It will be harsh on Gusto when the time comes though... unless James plays some games in CM, which would be quite 'funny' after all the money we spent on CMs.

Things can't get any worse? Yes they can!

Three quarters of the League will sit back like Hammers & Forest, concede 70% possession, and win via a break away or an error!

The remainder will blow us away!

At the moment, we can do nothing about it!

Over inflated spending, is a chain around our necks!

Lack of on field leadership also worrying. Defo not Chilwell!

Still no consistent goal scorer!

Worrying times!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Gurj SS said:

Woah!!

I mean yeah I think we could have got two 25-26 year olds for the same money we spent on one 21 year old, but I think he'd have to still be beyond poor, something like pick up a yellow card for fouling himself poor, before he gets to Cucu level; but I will say this Gilmour is looking brilliant Brighton and it does seem like the system there is the key rather than the players.

Spot on regarding the system at Brighton which just makes you question why when our system was ticking over nicely in pre-season Pochettino has changed it to our detriment.

Caicedo has a way to go before he's totally written off but he'd best be hoping that Lavia is Southampton bad. 

• Agree 1

Some comments from Poch after the game:

"Today, we create chance. We were not clinical enough in the last third. We should score if we want to win."

"I think in this type of game it would help to be more mature"

That second one feels like a manager who knows/would have liked the club to sign some more experienced players rather than loads of kids.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Which is so odd after watching us in pre-season.

Yep, that's been the biggest dissapointment to me in Poch, he sold us a dream of giving players freedom to express themselves on the ball, a freedom to attack and take risks of losing the ball because they had the intensitiy to recover possession; and now the season has come along it feels like it's too much for Poch already; he seems lost. I made a joke in the first game of the season calling him Potterchino, but I'm starting to think the pressure is too much and he's starting to fall into self presevation safety net, the issue for him is the team keeps conceding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

I will say this Gilmour is looking brilliant Brighton and it does seem like the system there is the key rather than the players.

Yep 

I am sure TBSD will give Brighton £200m for Ferguson in January 😁

• Haha 1

Caicedo still looks way off the pace and a bit of a rabbit in the headlights at times.

Enzo was doing well to getting great balls into the final 3rd for a period, but our attacking midfielders aren't able to make anything happen. Noni and Sterling seem to be good at dribbling with the ball but not able to do anything with it after. Palmer recycled possession or headed towards our goal on a lot of occasions. Mudryk couldn't even do any of those things. Jackson had some good moments and some awful moments but works hard, found himself in the DM positions too many times for my liking.

I fear we may have spent loads of money building a great counter attacking team, which will never work for us the way teams set up. The ball seems to spend way too much time with our defenders before getting played into players being man marked.

Will be a painful first half of the season I feel, I just hope Poch is able to implement some kind of inventive attacking to our play. A bit worried that he is resorting to desperation subs so early on in the season

4 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Some comments from Poch after the game:

"Today, we create chance. We were not clinical enough in the last third. We should score if we want to win."

"I think in this type of game it would help to be more mature"

That second one feels like a manager who knows/would have liked the club to sign some more experienced players rather than loads of kids.

Yes it does, but Poch is the one who showed all the excitement around the 'project', he signed up for it knowning he would be managing a very young squad; I think the worst thing is he has realised later than most managers would, most would realise during the interview for the job.

• Agree 1

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Which is so odd after watching us in pre-season.

That was with Nkunku who was arguably our best player in preseason. Soon as he got injured, Poch and his staff went into a panic and came up with this three at the back formation with Chilwell playing on the wing. It’s been a disaster really. We look unbalanced, incoherent and Poch is too scared to drop Silva because he’s still our best defender but can only play in a back three. It’s really messed up.

Now Jackson has suddenly turned from the next Drogba into the next centre forward who can’t hit a barn door. We really are in a mess and once the rot sets in it’s difficult to get out of it because the players lose faith and confidence. Poch needs to stop the rot fast because that was as demoralising as it gets.  

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

In another timeline Roman still owns us and isn't exiled from the UK. Our new stadium is built, we have Haaland and Rice, Rudiger is still here. 

I thought I was already depressed, until I read this. Forget the players, just Roman would be dreamland right now.

I have slated Raheem in the past and praised his recent form but he showed again today his absolute lack of good decision making when he has to think...not blaming him in anyway but when individual weak areas seem to take a precedent through the side we get games like today..if you get my point.

Never really looked like scoring but had the bounce gone Chelsea's way early the floodgates..well maybe the pulled plug effect...would probably have opened and  goals flowed ...😃

Will be a long season but hopefully a steep successful learning curve.

Be interesting to see the line up after a break....think Palmer will feature and show a difference,,( in hope!)

43 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

I think it was time to move Silva on in the summer, however I don't think Silva is the issue. In my opinion the rest aren't good enough so Silva still walks into the starting line-up, Colwill and Disasi as a pairing and we lose by more than 1 goal today. Colwill is so not ready that he's being played at LB so there's less responsibility on him.

Badiashille is back after the international break. Silva's time is up.