Cole Palmer signs for Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

On 13/08/2024 at 20:03, Rob B said:

What a coup this is for the club.  Whilst he was on a long-term deal anyway, the fact that he has extended already shows that he was very happy to do so.

A more cynical, ruthless agent might have been advising him to hold off now &  leverage the likes of Bayern, Real etc after another a strong second season and that could have caused speculation,  protracted negations, breaking our wage structure etc.

Kudos to both parties 👏🏼

Holding off on negotiations for another season would have left ... What, 6 years? So no real leverage based on diminished contract length, and still at least three years from that realistically.

I think the ruthless thing for an agent to do would be to encourage a client to do whatever it takes to get a wage increase ASAP. You might not have as good a second season and then your bargaining position is weakened. And if you do maintain a high standard and Real, Bayern, City etc. come knocking, it's your new, increased wage they have to trump. Is the fee they'd have to offer when you're under contract for another 8 years really any different to that for another 6? Can't see it.

Not knocking the deal, understand why the club feel they have to get something for the wage increase and don't think Palmer signs if not very happy and committed here. Just don't think it's a remarkable coup.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

Great to see Ice Cold Cole withdrawing from the Johnstone's Paint Nation's Trophy squad. Waste of time. Club over country lad 👍🏼

Hopefully the Club have sent him to the Algarve for a week of R&R to be honest.  Barely had any time off over the Summer.  

I'd be more than happy with several of our regulars skipping international duty in favour of a week away over this season - most of them aren't getting anywhere near enough downtime with this stupid international schedule being pasted on top of hectic club seasons.

• Agree 4