Cole Palmer signs for Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

30 minutes ago, jasonb said:

I think we have a great player in Cole yet he won't deliver every match and we should temper our expectations accordingly.

Still very exciting times offensively

Well said, I think everyone understands that, but like me probably overawed by how fast Cole has come on and established himself in Chelsea legend so soon,,,, feels a depth that so many other young "gonna b's" seemed to ultimately lack.

On 29/09/2024 at 17:07, paulw66 said:

This.

3 PL hat tricks already (more than Hazard and as many as Drogba and Lampard).

One of a very few number to have scored more than 3 in a PL game more than once, and along with Lampard, the only other non-CF to do so. 

35 PL starts. 28 goals. 15 assists. 

It actually looks like Football Manager statistics. If we had bought Messi in his prime, and he'd delivered these numbers, you'd say that is what you bought him for. It is that sort of level 

It certainly is some ridiculous stats. This is the difficult second season. If he continues to produce like this he’ll be top three in the ballon d’or for sure. 

I feel that we are closer and closer to finding a perfect lineup. Still a bit unsure about who to play on the wings, with some strong options on the left and right in Neto, Nkunku, Madueke and Sancho. Felix will have a hard time seeing many minutes as a starter. 

The three biggest question marks for me right now is Sanchez, Fofana, Fernandez and Madueke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, east lower said:

Thought he mouthed “oh my god” when he missed one - think that was the right-foot one in the second-half. Polite, as well as brilliant 🤩 

I thought he said "what the fcuk".😀 

Edited by boratsbrother

48 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The three biggest question marks for me right now is Sanchez, Fofana, Fernandez and Madueke. 

Early days for him, but I'd add Neto to that list.

Madueke is becoming a very frustrating and puzzling player. There's no middle ground with him. He's either very good/excellent or absolute tripe with a suspect attitude.

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I feel that we are closer and closer to finding a perfect lineup. Still a bit unsure about who to play on the wings, with some strong options on the left and right in Neto, Nkunku, Madueke and Sancho. Felix will have a hard time seeing many minutes as a starter. 

Agree with this.  In terms of the four you mention, personally I don’t think Sanchez is up to it, and that has been my view since last season.  Obviously capable of the spectacular when it comes to shot-stopping but has too many brain farts - his decision making is awful and long-term (not this season) he would prevent us wining a title.

Fofana is fine for the moment and I’d continue to give him managed game-time.  I like that he is on the front foot and I think stylistically he is a good partner for Colwill.  Is he first choice long-term, not sure.  

Enzo should be the most straight forward to determine because it’s obvious what he does well and what he doesn’t.  If I were the manager, I would simply manage his minutes accordingly given the opposition and whether we are likely to dominate possession or not.  I do think we are light at CM though and I would look to get Santos / Ugochukwu back in January if possible.

Finally, I like Madueke.  Most of the chances he creates himself through his pace and power.   That said, it’s only right that he has competition from the likes of Neto (+Palmer) as he does need to improve his decision making.  Currently he is still our best option there if you play Palmer centrally though. 

In summary, I think the four you call out are rightly the ones who should be looking over their shoulder, but personally I wouldn’t be making too many changes in the PL right now.   I think we are benefiting from a settled team, and even though I’m not a fan of Sanchez, I’d still probably give him a few games to put it right.

• Like 1

@Rob B - well summed up Sir. 

I agree on Sanchez most.  If he doesn't step up to the required level on a consistent basis between now and January, then it'd be fair to say that he's had his chance and we'll be replacing him.  

Fofana's a weird one.  He needs to tone down the aggression (he's getting far too many yellows) and he could be really, really good after that.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I thought he said "what the fcuk".😀 

I watched again last night, he might have said f***, but definitely said “oh my god” at him missing that chance. 

What matters most is that he’s clearly disappointed and sets himself such high expectations.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That is incredible. Such a talent we have on our hands.

It's unbelievable isn't it! This guy is going ro be one of the all time greats.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Arsenal mate said to me this morning that Cole Palmer was the only member of the Chelsea team he truly coveted. Praise indeed.

"Arsenal Mate"...Who are you ?    and what have you done with Blue Moon?,,,Mods check this poster NOW!🤠

Edited by chara
  • Haha 3

So easy for us to go overboard about Cole..although in the main most here are clearheaded about his progress,

Just watched a few  similar highlight type videos.... thought it before but he never seems to score scruffy goals...and the penalties...a keeper's nightmare...left corner, right corner..one down the middle,,deliberately,,, that 🪄left foot.

Watched The Chelsea home sight candidates for goal of the month,,,,half tongue in cheek but how long before we have Palmer Goal of The Month...or of the Season?

I think a few of the more astute coaches are looking at the Chelsea attack potential with some trepidation,,I say potential because it's early days and we will have doom and gloom weekends but it's getting that they are being balanced out by sunshine at other weekends.

NOT just Palmer + 10 backups..a team player and hopefully part of a new era.

Oh,and IMHO The Poch has no real praise due for the present progress.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chara said:

"Arsenal Mate"...Who are you ?    and what have you done with Blue Moon?,,,Mods check this poster NOW!🤠

Calm down, @chara - I'm converting him. Might take a while. He seems to think Captain Scarlet was a puppet and the Emirates isn't a retirement home for clapped-out Chelsea players.

4 hours ago, chara said:

@Blue Moon..Whew..was a bit worried there...will relax now...I know how easily you youngsters can be led astray!

🤠🍎🐍

I get your first emoji Chara, but a strawberry (?) and a snake???

These days it's like you've been let loose in the emoji sweet shop 🤣

• Haha 2

On 30/09/2024 at 20:57, Sleeping Dave said:

It certainly is some ridiculous stats. This is the difficult second season. If he continues to produce like this he’ll be top three in the ballon d’or for sure. 

Sorry to be pedantic but isn't that four??  

59 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I get your first emoji Chara, but a strawberry (?) and a snake???

These days it's like you've been let loose in the emoji sweet shop 🤣

Oh come on Jane,,,red apple (look closer!) and a serpent?.... need another clue?

Emoji's ? as Mrs C would say (and does say often to me )  "You never know when to stop ."

🤠🌠🚫

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chara said:

Oh come on Jane,,,red apple (look closer!) and a serpent?.... need another clue?

Emoji's ? as Mrs C would say (and does say often to me )  "You never know when to stop ."

🤠🌠🚫

Forbidden fruit I see.

Not quite sure how it relates to Cole Palmer but hey we've gone way further off topic than this.

Btw Cole Palmer is amazing 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, chrisb said:

He’s been named England Men’s Player of the year, the first Chelsea player since Ashley Cole back in 2010.

Congratulations Cole!

Bizarre seeing as he has only managed 2 starts!

Or rather, the fact he only managed 2 starts is bizarre.

Edited by Lump Of Celery