Calum Hudson-Odoi leaves Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 08:06, ROTG said:

We are also very good at paying stupid money for overhyped academy players 

True that. Almost every trainer who has worked with CHO would probably tell you he's in a league way above Cole Palmer as a footballing talent. But what do they know. 

Edited by Siidi

16 minutes ago, Siidi said:

True that. Almost every trainer who has worked with CHO would probably tell you he's in a league way above Cole Palmer as a footballing talent. But what do they know. 

One goal for Forest and history is rewritten for the past 3 years. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

CHO was quality right through the academy years. Every trainer who worked with him still swoons about his talent to this day.  I never actually saw him play a dreadful match. Even under Tuchel, the  team was struggling from back to front, but somehow, CHO got the blame above everyone else, even when he  only played a few minutes. I remember him pulling us to victory in Malmo and still getting criticised.  Big clubs wanted him for his records. Frankly I don't know which part of the history you are referring to.

CHO's qualities (or  those of  any footballer) cannot be measured in goals alone. The moment he receives the ball, you can see straightaway, he is completely at ease with it. 

Edited by Siidi

1 minute ago, Siidi said:

CHO was quality right through the academy years. Every trainer who worked with him still swoons about his talent to this day.  I never actually saw him play a dreadful match. Even under Tuchel, the  team was struggling from back to front, but somehow, CHO got the blame above everyone else, even when he  only played a few minutes. I remember him pulling us to victory in Malmo and still getting criticised.  Big clubs wanted him for his records. Frankly I don't know which part of the history you are referring to.

The bit where he wasn't the same player after his injury. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

The bit where he wasn't the same player after his injury. 

CHO's dip in form coincided with him being played as a wingback, which he never was in million years. No Chelsea player thrived in that role under Tuchel. Even James got exhausted, faded out and/or got injured. Yet, we continue this myth about CHO's injury. 

27 minutes ago, Siidi said:

CHO's dip in form coincided with him being played as a wingback, which he never was in million years. No Chelsea player thrived in that role under Tuchel. Even James got exhausted, faded out and/or got injured. Yet, we continue this myth about CHO's injury. 

He lost confidence, a burst of pace and rapid change of direction after the injury. That's pretty much all he had.  He stopped going past defenders.

I was the biggest CHO supporter on here until the past two years. 

I'm thrilled for him scoring tonight and wish him the best but I don't think too many were shocked when he was sold, even of the price was far too low. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

He lost confidence, a burst of pace and rapid change of direction after the injury. That's pretty much all he had.  He stopped going past defenders.

I was the biggest CHO supporter on here until the past two years. 

I'm thrilled for him scoring tonight and wish him the best but I don't think too many were shocked when he was sold, even of the price was far too low. 

I agree: many Chelsea fans thought CHO was overrated and overhyped.  But I wasn't one of them, and I was hoping that our new manager would be a little bit wiser.  Under Tuchel we were not set up  for our wingers to get past defenders. It was no surprise that it wasn't just CHO who wasn't getting past defenders. But somehow it was always his fault.

Bluntly speaking, none of the wingers we have recently singed has the qualities of CHO, imo.

We will see CHO get past defenders, create and score goals. He will last one season at Forest before he is sold to a bigger club. We will hopefully  get a sell-on fee. 

1 minute ago, Siidi said:

I agree: many Chelsea fans thought CHO was overrated and overhyped.  But I wasn't one of them, and I was hoping that our new manager would be a little bit wiser.  Under Tuchel we were not set up  for our wingers to get past defenders. It was no surprise that it wasn't just CHO who wasn't getting past defenders. But somehow it was always his fault.

Bluntly speaking, none of the wingers we have recently singed has the qualities of CHO, imo.

We will see CHO get past defenders, create and score goals. He will last one season at Forest before he is sold to a bigger club. We will hopefully  get a sell-on fee. 

Time will tell whether he gets back to his best.  I hope he does for his sake.

Anyway, welcome to the forum 👍

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

CHO's dips in form always coincided with him being picked, WB or anywhere else.
He is simply a monster talent that barely had more than 3 x 45 mins of quality performances for us.  (RLC was the same, Josh McEachran was thee 3x45 mins without the monster talent).

Certainly I agree the injury was a myth, he should have been over that pretty quickly at his age.

And the bid from BM was always nonsense - Tech directors never talk about the players they are after by name.  BM were after Musiala who went to BM aged 16 in 2019.

20 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

CHO's dips in form always coincided with him being picked, WB or anywhere else.
He is simply a monster talent that barely had more than 3 x 45 mins of quality performances for us.  (RLC was the same, Josh McEachran was thee 3x45 mins without the monster talent).

Certainly I agree the injury was a myth, he should have been over that pretty quickly at his age.

And the bid from BM was always nonsense - Tech directors never talk about the players they are after by name.  BM were after Musiala who went to BM aged 16 in 2019.

With all due respect, Josh McEachran and RLC were never in the same league as CHO. It's not just me who thinks that. That no serious team came for either player like they did for CHO says something. 

The idea that CHO's tonight's performance is some kind of fluke or came out of the blue makes me laugh. The lad cleared the board for every medal on his way to the senior team and did it as the leading man. There was a joke at the academy that if CHO was in, we win it. He had a couple of years under difficult management, and then people piled on, presumably because he fancied going to Bayern Munich. 

Musiala is a different kind  of player. Chelsea were happy to let him go, because but held on to CHO.  No Chelsea trainer thought Musiala was better than CHO or even as good as him, from the interviews I have seen. The idea that Bayern wanted Musiala but asked for CHO is a Chelsea forum nonsense, tbh. Bayern kept asking for CHO even after they signed Musiala .  And by way, what did Musiala achieve in Chelsea youth academy?

Edited by Siidi

38 minutes ago, Siidi said:

With all due respect, Josh McEachran and RLC were never in the same league as CHO. It's not just me who thinks that. That no serious team came for either player like they did for CHO says something. 

Not just you, but still there were many more going OTT about Josh and RLC at their time.

(And no serious team came for CHO till Forest)

39 minutes ago, Siidi said:

The idea that CHO's tonight's performance is some kind of fluke or came out of the blue makes me laugh. The lad cleared the board for every medal on his way to the senior team and did it as the leading man. There was a joke at the academy that if CHO was in, we win it. He had a couple of years under difficult management, and then people piled on, presumably because he fancied going to Bayern Munich. 

Was it a performance or one goal.  I've only seen the hightlights of one miss and one goal that goes in once in 10 times.
On his way to the senior team he may well have been brilliant.  In the senior team he was ordinary.
He just has a full season at Bayer Leverkusen where he was injured for just 3 games, yet barely played after Christmas.  I take it they gave him a lot of chances for a couple of months and then wondered if he'd ever perform.

Those of us who did not watch him in the Academy have still watched him every game he played for the first team:  71 appearances.

(BM were never interested - we know that because they took Musiala.  It might have been a contract negotiation ploy.)

45 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Musiala is a different kind  of player. 

So what?

46 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Chelsea were happy to let him go, because but held on to CHO. 

Doh - Musiala was 16, had no pro contract and Chelsea had zero choice.  We held onto to CHO because there was NO bid until Forest - £3m apparently.  And of course Steve Cooper the Forest manager probably remembers CHO best from playing youth games, not for those interminable Chelsea first team games.

49 minutes ago, Siidi said:

The idea that Bayern wanted Musiala but asked for CHO is a Chelsea forum nonsense, tbh. Bayern kept asking for CHO even after they signed Musiala .  And by way, what did Musiala achieve in Chelsea youth academy?

There are two pieces of evidence that BM wanted CHO.  The technical Director interview where the reporter pushes the words CHO into the TD's mouth and he says year - for instance.
And rumours that no one really knows the source of but could well be CHO family or agent.
People who had over committed in their predictions on CHO decided the £50m bid was just what they needed to cover up for CHO's failure to fulfill their dreams for him.

Musiala - well quite, he was out a few months after he was 16, so Academy fans never really saw him.  But he was starting in the BM first team younger than CHO ever did for us.
Are you seriously going to say that CHO was a more promising player than Musiala?

6 hours ago, Ham said:

Tell me about it. 

He was, to put it frank, fucking horrendous at Leverkusen last season. Since returning from injury he's shown himself to be well off the pace in general, not necessarily through fault of his own but his biggest asset as a player was his speed. He's struggled massively to adapt his game and find other avenues to be impactful, which isn't helped by his low football intelligence. I hope he does well at Forest and manages to forge a solid career, with his goal this evening being excellently taken, but let's not pretend that's been the norm either.

• Like 1

I actually thought he was going to be special..for us when he first was mentioned. But one thing That infuriated me before the Achilles injury, was that he had the pace to beat  a full back but his crossing was average. Not the finished article and was never worth the wage packet in my opinion. Losing homegrowns is always a shame but maybe if he had been great in Germany he might still be a chelsea player.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Tell me about it. 

He was, to put it frank, fucking horrendous at Leverkusen last season. Since returning from injury he's shown himself to be well off the pace in general, not necessarily through fault of his own but his biggest asset as a player was his speed. He's struggled massively to adapt his game and find other avenues to be impactful, which isn't helped by his low football intelligence. I hope he does well at Forest and manages to forge a solid career, with his goal this evening being excellently taken, but let's not pretend that's been the norm either.

We must have been watching different players.. CHO  had the best pinpoint cross of a  Chelsea forward in recent years, the only player to land a cross on Lukaku's head that season. His awareness of his teammates, ball control, ball retention, weight of pass,, were second to none. He showed all of that last night without breaking a sweat.  Goals or not, he's always been an all round forward in my book.

Coming inside and curling a shot with his right foot  has been elementary stuff for CHO since youth team days. 

I'm not for a min comparing  CHO to KDB, but I do remember a similar argument about KDB being overhyped, not able to go past players, score goals  etc when he left Chelsea. Let's see what

6 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Not just you, but still there were many more going OTT about Josh and RLC at their time.

(And no serious team came for CHO till Forest)

Was it a performance or one goal.  I've only seen the hightlights of one miss and one goal that goes in once in 10 times.
On his way to the senior team he may well have been brilliant.  In the senior team he was ordinary.
He just has a full season at Bayer Leverkusen where he was injured for just 3 games, yet barely played after Christmas.  I take it they gave him a lot of chances for a couple of months and then wondered if he'd ever perform.

Those of us who did not watch him in the Academy have still watched him every game he played for the first team:  71 appearances.

(BM were never interested - we know that because they took Musiala.  It might have been a contract negotiation ploy.)

So what?

Doh - Musiala was 16, had no pro contract and Chelsea had zero choice.  We held onto to CHO because there was NO bid until Forest - £3m apparently.  And of course Steve Cooper the Forest manager probably remembers CHO best from playing youth games, not for those interminable Chelsea first team games.

There are two pieces of evidence that BM wanted CHO.  The technical Director interview where the reporter pushes the words CHO into the TD's mouth and he says year - for instance.
And rumours that no one really knows the source of but could well be CHO family or agent.
People who had over committed in their predictions on CHO decided the £50m bid was just what they needed to cover up for CHO's failure to fulfill their dreams for him.

Musiala - well quite, he was out a few months after he was 16, so Academy fans never really saw him.  But he was starting in the BM first team younger than CHO ever did for us.
Are you seriously going to say that CHO was a more promising player than Musiala?

It's the first time I've ever heard such nonsense; a club trying to sign a player but pretending they want a different player.  Presumably Chelsea didn't know that, so they offered CHO a new contract, even though the truth was an open secret to some Chelsea fans. Please, please 🥺

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

We must have been watching different players.. CHO  had the best pinpoint cross of a  Chelsea forward in recent years, the only player to land a cross on Lukaku's head that season. His awareness of his teammates, ball control, ball retention, weight of pass,, were second to none. He showed all of that last night without breaking a sweat.  Goals or not, he's always been an all round forward in my book.

Coming inside and curling a shot with his right foot  has been elementary stuff for CHO since youth team days. 

I'm not for a min comparing  CHO to KDB, but I do remember a similar argument about KDB being overhyped, not able to go past players, score goals  etc when he left Chelsea. Let's see what

Are we still talking about CHO?