Chelsea Legends of Europe - The Bridge, Sat 9th Sept 2023 7.30pm

Sciatika

Only have time for the highlights - fun.

7 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

It was also great seeing Zola, Essien, Ramires, Lebouf, Cahill, and the rest. Mikel is the coolest player ever, always played like he was enjoying the game and not taking things too serious and I like that; because it allowed him to play his own game.

Mikel looked really fit but I guess unlike most he played 39 championship games just 2 seasons ago.  I remember the old Master's indoors tournaments that occasionally were on TV.  Kevin MacCallister and Petrescu were the stand out players for us one year.  One played till about 40 up in Scotland, the other had just finished a season aged 38 in Southampton reserves.

Mikel just has sublime touch so will always look good.  Ramires looked very fit while Essien looked heavy but super fit too.  I guess those two were always proto-Kante.
Mad Frankie enjoyed himself a lot.

31 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

If our new owners have any sense at all they'll do their best to keep these guys connected to the club and give the new players the opportunity to learn off them. The game was just full of emotion and you could tell even though it was a friendly the players were not going to just turn up for the cameras. JT scoring on the 26th min, that's just something for fate. Loved it all.

It was also great seeing Zola, Essien, Ramires, Lebouf, Cahill, and the rest. Mikel is the coolest player ever, always played like he was enjoying the game and not taking things too serious and I like that; because it allowed him to play his own game.

On a seperate note, I was discussing with a mate earlier on how football has changed so much, attacking players are less brave to try new things incase they lose the ball because the other team won't lose it quickly; the game actually has less quality in it because of it. I noticed it when watching the England-Ukraine game, even for the goal Kane dropped into a holding midfield role in order to make a goal; but anywhere in the final third area and the ball didn't even come his way. Keeping the ball has gone too far over the line in which it's now killing the game, I don't know about anyone else but I miss the days of a 'Trequartista' like Zola, Totti, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Rivaldo, or a drifting player like Cesc, Deco, Veron, Banega, Xavi. Players who were not tactically bound and were just there to make things happen, and everyone had the same aim of moving the ball forwards and scoring. I was sent an old game between Roma and Inter today in which Inter lined up with Baggio, Ronaldo and Zamarano; 2 strikers, 1 trequarista, and 0 defending ability from any of them, and it was great to watch. Also Roma had Totti and that guy was magic; the game finished 4-5 to Inter.

I hope if anything, this new era at Chelsea does what the one before it did, introduce a whole new way of playing by being brave, letting players off their leash and play expressive football; bring the fun back in the game.

They haven't and they won't. 

31 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Only have time for the highlights - fun.

Mikel looked really fit but I guess unlike most he played 39 championship games just 2 seasons ago.  I remember the old Master's indoors tournaments that occasionally were on TV.  Kevin MacCallister and Petrescu were the stand out players for us one year.  One played till about 40 up in Scotland, the other had just finished a season aged 38 in Southampton reserves.

Mikel just has sublime touch so will always look good.  Ramires looked very fit while Essien looked heavy but super fit too.  I guess those two were always proto-Kante.
Mad Frankie enjoyed himself a lot.

Droy..you are doing my head in...please accept my challenge elsewhere!🫠

@martin1905 A lovely heartfelt post, thank you, and I think a lot of us share your sentiments.

Still hoping to see you on here from time to time as you are a much valued member of the forum.

Can only hope that somehow things improve at the club and we get our appetites back for the team and the game 😞

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

@martin1905 A lovely heartfelt post, thank you, and I think a lot of us share your sentiments.

Still hoping to see you on here from time to time as you are a much valued member of the forum.

Can only hope that somehow things improve at the club and we get our appetites back for the team and the game 😞

Winning is the thing that cements a squad into our hearts I think , we are at the beginning of a new era , one where the youngsters can write their own legend , literally .

This is why I hope they get to see some of the footage of what happened at the weekend so that they can truly appreciate what it is to play for the pride of London and it inspires them.

I do agree with you both though , this current crop are like strangers to me , there's only one or two I even like or rate to be honest , I have plenty of time for Pochettino but he is beginning to erode that a bit through his negative tactics although there could be reasons why that we are not party to so I'm happy to see the season out and see where we are come the end of it. 

7 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Emotional doesn't do it justice. It was surreal and will go down as one of my favourite every Chelsea games, right now I'd put it only behind Munich and Bolton away. That's how much it meant to me to be there.

I've been struggling with football for a while, it's not what it was, in general and what has happened to our club in the last couple of years has made it very difficult for me to keep going so after leaving the game I decided to sell my season ticket. Not permanently but for this season and possibly beyond. It's something I've been contemplating for quite a while.

It wasn't a decision I took lightly but it just felt like the right time after watching JT and  Cahill scoring, fair play to Thiago, he knew it was more important for Cahill than him and then he was rewarded but an outrageous goal near the end, Kalou missing an open goal, which was much better than him potentially scoring and seeing all those legends playing one more time at my beloved ground.

I know some may think the timing is all wrong, when things are going bad that's when real fans really step up but I've got a lot going on in life and after 20 years of going all over Europe I just haven't got the energy or buzz for it anymore. I hope  it will come back but it may not. I fear these owners have destroyed us,  it will never be the same again and this game just reiterated that thought.

I will probably be a lot quieter on here as I take my sabbatical which is a real shame as @Dwmh is finally back but I'll still keep an eye on the place just probably not post very often.

Vialli was one of my absolute idols growing up and I'm extremely proud to have been able to be there for this.

"When the ball hits the back of the Old Trafford net, it's Vialli.

When his goals light the sky, there's a year in my eye, oh Vialli".  😢

Sorry to see you jump on the outgoing train just as I disembarked.
A lot of weird stuff went on in spring 2022, for Chelsea and Abramovich and Russia.
A lot of malevolent emotions, and I think Chelsea and its fans felt them without understanding why.  
The curious thing is just how many players exited - and not just the ageing pros either, players of all ages, and a few who had barely got notices at first team level.

Watching big Pete back at the Bridge for some reason prompted this thought in my head.........

When a match went to penalties, like in Munich, why didn't he take his cap off? Impossible that his head would hit the post from a penalty.

There you go; answers on a post code to this (un)interesting insight into my mind. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Watching big Pete back at the Bridge for some reason prompted this thought in my head.........

When a match went to penalties, like in Munich, why didn't he take his cap off? Impossible that his head would hit the post from a penalty.

There you go; answers on a post code to this (un)interesting insight into my mind. 

Comfort and familiarity I'd imagine. 

Would be like wearing a pair of jeans with a belt when you could also wear them without. If you do the latter it feels a little off or weird, so the belt stays. 

Either that or just the simple "look good, feel good" moto. 😄

On 11/09/2023 at 09:53, martin1905 said:

Emotional doesn't do it justice. It was surreal and will go down as one of my favourite every Chelsea games, right now I'd put it only behind Munich and Bolton away. That's how much it meant to me to be there.

I've been struggling with football for a while, it's not what it was, in general and what has happened to our club in the last couple of years has made it very difficult for me to keep going so after leaving the game I decided to sell my season ticket. Not permanently but for this season and possibly beyond. It's something I've been contemplating for quite a while.

It wasn't a decision I took lightly but it just felt like the right time after watching JT and  Cahill scoring, fair play to Thiago, he knew it was more important for Cahill than him and then he was rewarded but an outrageous goal near the end, Kalou missing an open goal, which was much better than him potentially scoring and seeing all those legends playing one more time at my beloved ground.

I know some may think the timing is all wrong, when things are going bad that's when real fans really step up but I've got a lot going on in life and after 20 years of going all over Europe I just haven't got the energy or buzz for it anymore. I hope  it will come back but it may not. I fear these owners have destroyed us,  it will never be the same again and this game just reiterated that thought.

I will probably be a lot quieter on here as I take my sabbatical which is a real shame as @Dwmh is finally back but I'll still keep an eye on the place just probably not post very often.

Vialli was one of my absolute idols growing up and I'm extremely proud to have been able to be there for this.

"When the ball hits the back of the Old Trafford net, it's Vialli.

When his goals light the sky, there's a year in my eye, oh Vialli".  😢

I feel the same way. It just doesn’t feel like Chelsea anymore, but…and I’m gonna be optimistic here…it may well do again. 💙

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

That's easy....not impossible that he could have been hit on the head from the ball and more likely the possibility of landing awkwardly and hitting the ground with his head,,,and the goal posts not completely out of the issue...a dive with momentum can turn into a slide into the post...not worth the risk is the bottom line!...............typo I know but this is from post code 80421😁