Khobar's Legacy

My Blood Is Blue

15 hours ago, east lower said:

I was on ‘the benches’ for that one - and for the record stayed on them. 

Walker scored for Sunderland that night, a fact he was reminded of when many years later he played for Woking and we played them in one of the non-league cups, still couldn’t keep up with him and he was 40+ at that time - so had to give him a kick as an equaliser.  “Why’d you do that”? Cause you scored for Sunderland in the semi was the reply.

Having also played against him in a charity game at Stamford Bridge i concur that he was bloody nippy even in his late 40s. I didnt get anywhere near close enough on the pitch to kickhim. Did have a nice chat in the bar afterwards though where i adnitted i wasnt a Bolton but thought it was arguably the most important goal in our history. That's unusual he said most people i speak to say that they were there..must have been 60000 at Burnden that day 🙂 Was a nice fella i thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Having also played against him in a charity game at Stamford Bridge i concur that he was bloody nippy even in his late 40s. I didnt get anywhere near close enough on the pitch to kickhim. Did have a nice chat in the bar afterwards though where i adnitted i wasnt a Bolton but thought it was arguably the most important goal in our history. That's unusual he said most people i speak to say that they were there..must have been 60000 at Burnden that day 🙂 Was a nice fella i thought.

Comes across as a good bloke, and he's a pundit whose views I respect.

Very frustrating player in his years with us. He had all the elements to be a top player - skill, touch, pace and football intelligence, plus he obviously looked after himself going by the fact he played into his 40s. Showed flashes (fnarrr) of real talent when he was on his game and looked capable of playing at the very highest level, but he was maddeningly inconsistent. 

• Like 1

He was commentating on a game recently with Ben, and after a wayward shot he said quietly "good clearance". Ben asked hm about it and it seems that is what he would say to opposition players when they missed by a distance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Comes across as a good bloke, and he's a pundit whose views I respect.

Very frustrating player in his years with us. He had all the elements to be a top player - skill, touch, pace and football intelligence, plus he obviously looked after himself going by the fact he played into his 40s. Showed flashes (fnarrr) of real talent when he was on his game and looked capable of playing at the very highest level, but he was maddeningly inconsistent. 

Agreed, Just like a certain silky midfielder who was shipped off to QPR in the early 80.....well apart from the looking after himself and plying into his 40s that is...

Edited by flllerywhereru2

Just now, flllerywhereru2 said:

Agreed, Just like a certain silky midfielder who was shipped off to QPR in the early 80.....

Yes. Another lost talent. Always felt he had genuine class. Glad you are keeping his memory alive! Both could have hung around to be part of the Dixon-Nevin-Speedie era, but opted to move on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

If we get a free kick just outside the box just before half time...maybe we can bring him on to take it, then sub him off again....we have made worse decisions 🙂

TB is probably trying to get that rule brought in to bring us into line with good ol’ American Football!

• Haha 1

Good to see the Mail question Liverpool's opener against Leeds the other night, surely this should go into the list of VAR shockers.

They rule it was too early in the move to score yet it is the move that breaks the midfield lines via the deflection off the arm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11983161/HANDBALL-Q-Did-VAR-look-Liverpools-controversial-opener-against-Leeds.html

7 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Good to see the Mail question Liverpool's opener against Leeds the other night, surely this should go into the list of VAR shockers.

They rule it was too early in the move to score yet it is the move that breaks the midfield lines via the deflection off the arm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11983161/HANDBALL-Q-Did-VAR-look-Liverpools-controversial-opener-against-Leeds.html

The real question is whether it was ‘intentional’ or ‘unintentional’. Him moving his arm towards the ball kinda gave that away. But it’s them and we know which way the rules will be bent to suit them. 

It was an even game until then.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, east lower said:

The real question is whether it was ‘intentional’ or ‘unintentional’. Him moving his arm towards the ball kinda gave that away. But it’s them and we know which way the rules will be bent to suit them. 

It was an even game until then.

it was definitely intentional , it immediately gave them and advantage and it wasn't too far back in the stages of play either , it was incompetence / corruption , take your pick but we MUST have a race for top four and it MUST feature Liverpool so....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/04/2023 at 11:52, flllerywhereru2 said:

Very important indeed. 

http://thechels.info/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers_0-1_Chelsea_(1982-83_Second_Division)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Wonder who the sub was?

Well the Bolton sub was Cochise.......

A game etched in my memory...flying home whilst the match was on to be met at Gatwick by my Spurs (real fan) Son in Law...first words "Chelsea won!"

• Like 1

What an amazing website - thanks @flllerywhereru2 - really took a trip down memory lane ... Sunday, 3rd October 1999 at 16:00, at the Bridge. Son Mk.II age 9 peered over the edge of the East Stand and - to the amusement of those around us - called "I can see Sir Alex, Dad, and his ears have gone all red"! Ah, fond memories.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, chara said:

Well the Bolton sub was Cochise.......

A game etched in my memory...flying home whilst the match was on to be met at Gatwick by my Spurs (real fan) Son in Law...first words "Chelsea won!"

I was spending a year in France as part of my degree that year, so had to follow that shocker of the season via newspapers that arrived a day after publication. I did  tune in to BBC world service on my crappy portable radio, but the reception was abysmal ( I was in the Alps, which played havoc with the signal). 

There was another Chelsea fan in the same town, and the afternoon of the Bolton game we sat in my room listening to the football commentary that faded in and out. I remember going straight to the shop around the corner to buy a bottle of cheap bubbly to celebrate staying up. It was such a massive relief.

31 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I was spending a year in France as part of my degree that year, so had to follow that shocker of the season via newspapers that arrived a day after publication. I did  tune in to BBC world service on my crappy portable radio, but the reception was abysmal ( I was in the Alps, which played havoc with the signal). 

There was another Chelsea fan in the same town, and the afternoon of the Bolton game we sat in my room listening to the football commentary that faded in and out. I remember going straight to the shop around the corner to buy a bottle of cheap bubbly to celebrate staying up. It was such a massive relief.

I was at Grenoble university from 83-85 and that day's English papers arrived around 9.30am at the station. Never had a problem getting World Service, either.  What part of the Alps were you at?

Just up the road in Chambéry. You were lucky to have good WS reception. Thinking about it, it may well have just been the Sunday papers that came a day late.

I played football and rugby for the Université de Savoie against Grenoble - and the PE college in Voiron - on numerous occasions. Being such a small uni we'd get battered, but we also played against Grenoble's departmental teams, and we used to stuff them!

30 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Just up the road in Chambéry. You were lucky to have good WS reception. Thinking about it, it may well have just been the Sunday papers that came a day late.

I played football and rugby for the Université de Savoie against Grenoble - and the PE college in Voiron - on numerous occasions. Being such a small uni we'd get battered, but we also played against Grenoble's departmental teams, and we used to stuff them!

I played rugby for GUC. I don't recall us winning many games, though. My one and only lecture of the week was 08:00-10-00am on a Thursday (obviously a few tutorials dotted around elsewhere) so plenty of time to drive up to Alpe d'Huez and Deux Alpes for some skiing too. I vaguely recall the Sunday papers arriving any time between midday and 2:00pm but sometimes not until the Monday morning with the Monday papers.  The UK friends I had there were from Liverpool and Nottingham, but we were all cricket fans, so WS was mostly listening to Richard Hadlee taking English wicket after English wicket on TMS . Happy days, nonetheless. There were several good looking female students from LSE there at the time, and the locals were friendly, too 😉

I had the absolute time of my life in Chambéry. I was employed as a language assistant and was very generously paid, with free accommodation and subsidised meals in  school canteens, so I was very well off. Went skiing as often as I could - often for nothing if I was supervising the students. Went to a resort near Grenoble a few times called Les Sept Laux, which was very good. Also went to Tignes, Méribel, Les Arcs and Val Thorens. Had a few nights out in Grenoble - seem to remember an English-style pub called King Charly's?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there had been discussions about whether or not to play the national anthem at Anfield on Saturday in case it offended the little darlings sensibilities. Well the decision has been made to play it and I just hope the media highlights the inevitable booing without attempting to excuse it. Wankers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Apparently there had been discussions about whether or not to play the national anthem at Anfield on Saturday in case it offended the little darlings sensibilities. Well the decision has been made to play it and I just hope the media highlights the inevitable booing without attempting to excuse it. Wankers.

All they will do is bring down the faders in the studio , cut to Souey wiping a tear and proclaim that "it was perfectly observed" just like they do with any minutes silence .

They have protected status .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1