Chelsea 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

JaneB

26 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Well, I enjoyed that, thought it was fun.

Cucurella had his best half for us by a mile, he played like a raging lunatic in that second half but showed just the right amount of aggression.

It's becoming very obvious who should be starting pretty much every game going forward.

Enzo and Caicedo must play as the pivot, regardless of anything else.

Mudryk, Palmer, Sterling have to start behind Jackson.

And its sad to say but Disasi and Colwill, at least until Badiashille is fit, need to be the centre back pairing. We looked so much more composed on the ball in those deep areas without Silva, which is strange as he's incredible on the ball but I just think his lack of pace and age make him a bit nervous playing out from the back. He just can't do things as quick as he used to, or as quickly as the other two.

I'd like to see Maatsen play left back now, for the foreseeable with Chilwell being out injured again. He could solve any problem we have with potentially needing to replace Chilwell. He's such a good footballer and so good technically. Will be a real shame to see him leave for nothing, I think he has the highest ceiling, due to his position, of all our youth.

Overall, lots of positives to take from last night.

Yes, all of this. The only thing that wasn't fun was the officiating.

Assuming Chilwell misses the next few, the core of the team needs to be:

Sanchez, Disasi, Colwill, Maatsen / Cucurella, Enzo, Caicedo, Sterling, Mudryk, Palmer, Jackson

For the next two games, with Gusto out, I presume Disasi plays right back and Silva partners Colwill, and then it's down to who plays left back. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I didn't watch or listen to the game, so I'm wondering how Broja played?

I gather he had a good goal ruled out but apart that there nobody said very much about him so I'm guessing he didn't do much else apart that disallowed  goal.

He only got about ten minutes but he held the ball up really well. Very aggressive in style.

The offside, he was put clean through (standing in his own half) and was given offside. The flag went up straight away (no VAR) so we dont know if he would have scored or not 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He only got about ten minutes but he held the ball up really well. Very aggressive in style.

The offside, he was put clean through (standing in his own half) and was given offside. The flag went up straight away (no VAR) so we dont know if he would have scored or not 

Oh, I thought he scored, so thanks for clearing that up.

Good to see he looked fit and sharp after that bad injury.

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agree, even though it was only 15 minutes or so, thought Broja did what he was brought on to do, well. It's a nice change seeing a Chelsea forward dominating defenders physically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Like Maatsen?

He's a tricky one at this stage I feel. 

On one hand he needs a role that'll convince him to stay on and extend his contract, on the other there's no great upside for us to invest time into a player that won't extend and could be sold in January if that remains the case. 

Overall, I think it was a pretty poor quality game - both sides gave the ball away with poor passes on so many occasions, it was a matter of who could capitalize on the other's mistakes.

Palmer and Maatsen looked fantastic upfront, much more efficient use of the ball than Jackson and Mudryk.

Whenever Mudryk gets the ball, it feels like it's either going to lead to something very dangerous or he's going to lose the ball, there's very little in between. If he can build consistency into his game and learn when the right moments are for those 'very dangerous' moments, he could be quite the player for us.

Jackson had a much stronger second half and could have had a hat trick. Pleased for him to get the goal, and he definitely played through some pain with his wrist injury - hopefully it's nothing serious.

Cucurella got really stuck in - there were a few moments where he seemed to be chasing everyone like a headless chicken again, but overall did well, which was pleasantly surprising.

Just really happy overall with the win, it's been too long. Now I want to remember what it feels like for a league win!

28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm not his biggest fan but really enjoyed his short cameo last night.

No doubt he has a bit of Diego Costa about him and that is nothing but a good thing.

He's also a lot quicker than I remember or a lot quicker than I thought he was.

Very, very confident young man.

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Dare one say they could be saleable assets come the summer? 

James is one of the best injury prone full backs in the world. Given his treatment table frequency, I’m not sure we’d get much for him. Perhaps we can start by getting him to lose half a stone. I don’t know if it contributes to his constant injuries but I don’t think his baby fat is helping. 

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Perhaps the medical staff could have a quiet word in in PTs ear that when possible get him Chilwell off after 75 mins. We could save ourselves a lot of agro. 

And when we realise we will never get more than 60 mins we can sell him to Man City.

8 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

And when we realise we will never get more than 60 mins we can sell him to Man City.

Tbh I’d take 60 mins each game from a fit Chilly. If we had kept Aspi ( which we should have done) he could have filled in for those Chilly absent moments , and also helped out at RB , but oh no, with the usual Chelsea Mr Magoo specs on , we don’t see the point of keeping a versatile player for which the club actually means something. The joker we are now playing at LB is indeed a joke. 

We won which is massive for confidence. 

But seems we will be without both James (charged for misconduct after the Villa game, probably told the ref a few truths about his “performance”) and Chilwell. Both our fullbacks have been questionable in terms of availability for a good few seasons now. The whole “we are a top team when both plays” is irrelevant. It so rarely happens these days… Just look at James being punished harshly. 3+ games? 

So… Fulham away we have the following missing;

James

Jackson

Chilwell

Nkunku

Badiashile

Chalobah

Bettinelli

Lavia

Chukwuemeka

Madueke

Fofana

That’s 11 players… The majority being potential starters for us. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Tbh I’d take 60 mins each game from a fit Chilly. If we had kept Aspi ( which we should have done) he could have filled in for those Chilly absent moments , and also helped out at RB , but oh no, with the usual Chelsea Mr Magoo specs on , we don’t see the point of keeping a versatile player for which the club actually means something. The joker we are now playing at LB is indeed a joke. 

Pretty sure that Azpi wanted out just like a lot wanted out.
Not really sure why but it is undeniable that many did.  End of an era I guess and not an inspiring new one.

He came off the bench in an Athletcico winning Madrid derby last game.
They are in the CL.
Hard to see the attraction of staying here where LC vs Brighton is a big game.

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm amazed that anyone thinks we should have kept Azpi.

Brilliant player and servant, but watching him last year was painful. Legs have gone. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Was he booked for the celebration last night ? Personally, I quite liked that celebration from him as it showed a bit of attitude and fight. I thought it displayed the situation of not scoring, and being talked about a lot, was not really getting to him and was his way of saying I can handle this. It was also quite a neat calm finish to give the keeper the eyes and reverse it into the net. He didn't snatch at it like a player who was low on confidence.

Can you imagine that celebration with him scoring a winner away at one of our big rivals. Especially Spurs or Arsenal. Would absolutely LOVE IT.