Fulham 0 Chelsea 2

JaneB

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Will do the confidence, belief and spirit in the squad the world of good that.

Can’t really fault anyone, but a couple of performances stood out for me:

Palmer - is an absolute star. Clever player, will get a heap of assists for us 

Gallagher - Deservedly MOTM.  It’s not so much the distance he covers, it’s the pace he covers it at.  His use of the ball really improving too.  Delighted for him 

Colwill - another star.  So so good both defensively and with the ball.  Undroppable atm

Caicedo - brilliant tonight and was great against Brighton midweek.  Starting to find his feet

Broja - what a performance after a year out.  Runs the channels, quick, good feet.  If that’s him when he’s rusty, he could be some player. 

Special mention to Mudryk for taking his goal superbly too.  Glad to hear the injury isn’t serious.  If we can get another win against Burnley and then get a few more players back during the internationals, we could kickstart our season 

how was Cucurella?

4 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

how was Cucurella?

Pretty flawless actually - forgot about him!! 

Just saw something on Twitter that said in the last two games he’s won 18 duals at right-back and only been dribbled past once. Fair play. 

• Like 1

So we played a bit better than the oppor and won.  Not really a big deal.  XG had us just 1 goal better, so it was not fantastic performance.
Sure outscoring our own XG is an advance, but essentially this is simply a return to mean result on not much more than a normal performance.

Still happy though.  And lots of confidence boosts in this game.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, JonnyCFC said:

How that was not a sending off, you can see from one angle he has thought about it and absolutely intended to strike Silva. Var yet again showing its bias, complete joke.

Didn’t comment on this but you’re right, VAR looked at it for two seconds, it’s a clear red card, incompetent as usual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

Didn’t comment on this but you’re right, VAR looked at it for two seconds, it’s a clear red card, incompetent as usual. 

Bizarre. Seeing the replay it looked like a deliberate karate chop on Silva. You could tell that Silva couldn’t believe what had happened. I don’t think the player was even booked. 

Just now, Original 21 said:

Bizarre. Seeing the replay it looked like a deliberate karate chop on Silva. You could tell that Silva couldn’t believe what had happened. I don’t think the player was even booked. 

From a fellow Brazilian as well, I think he got a yellow for it. 

1 hour ago, JonnyCFC said:

How is it VAR has determined that’s not a red card?

One angle clearly shows he just strikes Silva, it’s not an accident he’s purposefully hit him.

It certainly should have been a red.
But refs are dead scared of doing anything controversial right now.  It would have been a brave call and Chelsea are not on the "Don't Offend" list.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

There is no excuse for this though, it’s pretty clear what his intention was, he looks and then goes to strike Silva. I think we are all confident that it’s a red card if that’s a Chelsea player doing that.

Nothing new to us but these var decisions going against us continue to accumulate. Thankfully tonight it didn’t cost us.

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

So we played a bit better than the oppor and won.  Not really a big deal.  XG had us just 1 goal better, so it was not fantastic performance.
Sure outscoring our own XG is an advance, but essentially this is simply a return to mean result on not much more than a normal performance.

Still happy though.  And lots of confidence boosts in this game.

Have to disrupt this xG narrative a bit, Droy. Some of the more optimistic among us may be thinking- "see, we were playing well after all and deserved to win our previous games too!" In truth, they may have been right that things are not as bad as they seem.

However we still played dreadfully against Forest despite the xG disparity. Shocking game management, slow, abysmal second half. 

Precisely what we didn't see today. We wanted it more, had more energy, we outfought them, won many more individual duals than them, put our bodies on the line, managed the game better (all the stats xG doesn't encapsulate).

We deserved our luck finally just as Forest deserved the win against us too.

Today wasn't a continuation of our season so far - it was a continuation of Brighton where we saw more confidence and got the all important result that was needed. Repeat until the end of time - results, results, it's (almost) all about the results.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Have to disrupt this xG narrative a bit, Droy. Some of the more optimistic among us may be thinking- "see, we were playing well after all and deserved to win our previous games too!" In truth, they may have been right that things are not as bad as they seem.

However we still played dreadfully against Forest despite the xG disparity. Shocking game management, slow, abysmal second half. 

Precisely what we didn't see today. We wanted it more, had more energy, we outfought them, won many more individual duals than them, put our bodies on the line, managed the game better (all the stats xG doesn't encapsulate).

Today wasn't a continuation of our season so far - it was a continuation of Brighton where we saw more confidence and got the all important result that was needed. Repeat until the end of time - results, results, it's (almost) all about the results.

Sure but it isn't just XG - a big factor in football is plain luck.

Forest scored against the run of play and we all know how difficult it is to come from behind.
This time we scored early, long before you could say we were dominant, and then got another.
Fulham could be said to have been slow, low in energy, losing their personal battles poor second half a poor game management.
I'm pretty sure they'd have been a lot lot tougher if they had gone a goal up by chance early on like Forest did.

It is always going to be easier if you happen to get 2 in the first 25 mins.

11 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Sure but it isn't just XG - a big factor in football is plain luck.

Forest scored against the run of play and we all know how difficult it is to come from behind.
This time we scored early, long before you could say we were dominant, and then got another.
Fulham could be said to have been slow, low in energy, losing their personal battles poor second half a poor game management.
I'm pretty sure they'd have been a lot lot tougher if they had gone a goal up by chance early on like Forest did.

It is always going to be easier if you happen to get 2 in the first 25 mins.

I just think at the very highest level you make your own luck. Again, how many games have we won as a club we didn't really deserve to, under the likes of Jose. You find a way to win even if you play badly. That's what winners do.

I genuinely think Poch knows how important results are at a club like Chelsea and how there's ultimately not really any excuses, even as I've criticised him for doing so. He knows the score - boy did we need these last two wins.

I thought it was very possible we fail to win against Brighton and Fulham. The fact we've won both - great credit to Poch and the players for digging in. It can't have been easy these last few weeks. Let's smash Burnley now!

7 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I just think at the very highest level you make your own luck. Again, how many games have we won as a club we didn't really deserve to, under the likes of Jose. You find a way to win even if you play badly. That's what winners do.

I genuinely think Poch knows how important results are at a club like Chelsea and how there's ultimately not really any excuses, even as I've criticised him for doing so. He knows the score - boy did we need these last two wins.

I thought it was very possible we fail to win against Brighton and Fulham. The fact we've won both - great credit to Poch and the players for digging in. It can't have been easy these last few weeks. Let's smash Burnley now!

I was dismissed when I said that a few goals and wins would turn everyone's opinions quickly.

We had the worst group of unshiftable young wasters a week ago and according to popular opinion tonight,  the players available to us (excluding all of the injuries) are excellent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Deserved win and a solid enough performance overall. 

Absolutely chuffed for Mudryk to finally get off the mark, thought he was a nuance in the first half and we missed that a little in the second half after he went off. 

We're slowly getting there as everyone gets more familiar with each other over time. We'll still have some bumps along the way and growing pains, but you can certainly see the foundations are there to build upon further. Also helps having luck on our side for once, a foreign feeling of late. 

Onwards and upwards. 

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

We were never going to be playing free flowing fluid football, so it really isn't a surprise we've had some clunky periods throughout some of our matches. I mean, it's been one disruption after another with certain players in and out of the team for various reasons, plus just banding together a new group in itself takes patience to form relationships and understanding on and off the pitch. The fact we've been able to play some pretty decent stuff at times, but also just look far more organised is improvement enough in itself at this stage. 

We'd have likely won the Forest game you've referenced had we actually taken our chances, and then no conceded a poor goal yet again through a mistake - literally three goals this season have been given up through individual errors alone. 

To say this result wasn't a continuation of our season is naive to say the least, it's also a bit of a slap in the face to the work that has been put in prior. We deserve to be in a better position than we are, our mistakes have been costly and our finishing woeful. They're self-infected, opposed to being completely outplayed. The Brighton result was a good one, but it was built on the basis of prior work also. This is continued progress upon not just that, but everything else that's come prior. A slice of luck here and there is also a massive help, and welcomed at that. 

We'll be okay. Enjoy the wins, ride out the rough patches as they come, and most importantly remain patient. Not everything hinges on results given our circumstances, even though we'll aim to pick up all the points we can.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

We were never going to be playing free flowing fluid football, so it really isn't a surprise we've had some clunky periods throughout some of our matches. I mean, it's been one disruption after another with certain players in and out of the team for various reasons, plus just banding together a new group in itself takes patience to form relationships and understanding on and off the pitch. The fact we've been able to play some pretty decent stuff at times, but also just look far more organised is improvement enough in itself at this stage. 

We'd have likely won the Forest game you've referenced had we actually taken our chances, and then no conceded a poor goal yet again through a mistake - literally three goals this season have been given up through individual errors alone. 

To say this result wasn't a continuation of our season is naive to say the least, it's also a bit of a slap in the face to the work that has been put in prior. We deserve to be in a better position than we are, our mistakes have been costly and our finishing woeful. They're self-infected, opposed to being completely outplayed. The Brighton result was a good one, but it was built on the basis of prior work also. This is continued progress upon not just that, but everything else that's come prior. A slice of luck here and there is also a massive help, and welcomed at that. 

We'll be okay. Enjoy the wins, ride out the rough patches as they come, and most importantly remain patient. Not everything hinges on results given our circumstances, even though we'll aim to pick up all the points we can.

Yep, good analysis here mate. There will be rough patches and some better ones. 

Key word is, as I’ve been banging on about all season, progress. As long as we see it then we will be fine eventually. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ham said:

I was dismissed when I said that a few goals and wins would turn everyone's opinions quickly.

We had the worst group of unshiftable young wasters a week ago and according to popular opinion tonight,  the players available to us (excluding all of the injuries) are excellent.

Genuine apologies if I'm mixing your posts up with someone else's, but haven't you been one of the loudest voices here on the players being to blame and it being incomprehensible to you they aren't getting more criticism. 

My opinion hasn't especially turned round. Two decent performances, two morale boosting wins. But in the context of a terrible 2023. It will take more to scrub that stink off.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

I imagine it's like going abroad and driving on the other side of the road.

Or maybe he's just been playing on the wrong side of the pitch his whole life. You never know, we may have another Azpilicueta on our hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dwmh said:

I tend to agree. After the initial relief and exhuberation has worn off a more considered opinion might be that we played alright, nothing special. A good first 30 minutes or so  developed into a similar type of game we've been seeing all season. A lot of huffing and puffing with little or no end product. The substitutions didn't help and in their own way quite worrying considering the potential injuries.

Much is being said of Palmer but what I saw was a young, inexperienced player who often makes the wrong decision or else thinks too long before making that decision, the enforced rotation up front propbably doesn't help as he hasn't been able to form partnerships with a consistent lineup.

Enzo is clearly a good player but the more I see of him he seems to be an island off on his own, becoming more and more fixated on scoring his first goal. Sterling too frustrates the hell out of me. Fair enough he had been ill in the week but his lack of pressing compared to Broja was noticeable. I only saw him break into a sprint once when there was the possibility of getting on to the end of a one on one with the keeper, otherwise he rarely showed for his colleagues.

Gallagher was all over the pitch and well deserves the captain's armband at the moment. He does seem to encourage the younger players with his workrate. Thank goodness we didn't sell him in the summer.

Overall some good individual performances but the team performance still needs a lot of work and could probably do without the constant interruption of injuries and silly suspensions. At the end of the day a brittle 2-0 win that is something to be built on.

Don't look for any outrage over the karate chop , there's nothing , the Daily Mail do mention he was lucky to stay on but so far there hasn't been a petition read out in the House of Lords.

As for the game , once again , with Mudryk on the pitch we bossed the game and penned their right back into his own half , once Mudryk was withdrawn it allowed Fulham to get into the game and we did pretty much to them what others do to us and shut up shop and hit them on the break.

First half was very good , second not so much , Poch is still worrying me with his lack of ambition and lets be generous , careful approach to games we should be winning easily but at least Colwill was let of the leash last night and responded brilliantly .

Thought Caicedo was excellent as was Palmer and "Cardio G" Gallagher run his legs off for the cause which was great to see.

Three points , two goals , that'll do Pig , that'll do. 

• Agree 1