Burnley 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

2 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Abysmal start. Lots of mindless passing around the back. We got a lucky break with the equaliser. Jackson came on for the overhyped Broja and the second half was much much better. Caicedo in particular has really found his feet in the last couple of games. Disasi looks like a proper defender. Gallagher and Palmer difficult to leave out atm.

MOTM to Sterling who did get some deserved stick first half, but really turned the game around for us. Jackson took his goal well. Enzo needs to raise his game and his finishing. A big confidence booster and four away goals is really welcome.

Agree with all this.

We have James to come back in still as well, which will improve us again and that should happen after the international break. It's starting to feel like it is coming together a bit now, I just hope it isn't a false dawn.

I'd be tempted to have a look at this 11 after the international break:

Sanchez

James - Disasi - Silva - Colwill

Gallagher - Caicedo

Sterling - Palmer - Mudryk

Jackson

However, it won't happen as Enzo won't get dropped and I think Poch will want less attacking players on the pitch for the harder games we have coming up.

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Agree with all this.

We have James to come back in still as well, which will improve us again and that should happen after the international break. It's starting to feel like it is coming together a bit now, I just hope it isn't a false dawn.

I'd be tempted to have a look at this 11 after the international break:

Sanchez

James - Disasi - Silva - Colwill

Gallagher - Caicedo

Sterling - Palmer - Mudryk

Jackson

However, it won't happen as Enzo won't get dropped and I think Poch will want less attacking players on the pitch for the harder games we have coming up.

I'd pick that in the games when we are dominating. Not against the better teams where I'd want the extra insurance of a 3rd midfield player

Edit, but with Enzo over Gallagher 

Edited by paulw66

10 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

. Jackson came on for the overhyped Broja and the second half was much much better. 

One of the odder comments I have read today 

Who, and I mean, find one example, of Broja bring overhyped.

A few, like me, feel he deserves a chance to see what he can do, especially in lieu of the sparce alternatives 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

One of the odder comments I have read today 

Who, and I mean, find one example, of Broja bring overhyped.

A few, like me, feel he deserves a chance to see what he can do, especially in lieu of the sparce alternatives 

I think it's fair to say that Broja's reputation rose substantially while he wasn't playing. I can't see him ever being the answer to the #1 striker we need.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Why is anyone getting dropped? 

I’m not saying they are, but if you go back to the post I was referring to, you’ll see the point being made was that it would be great to see Palmer, Mudryk and Sterling together, but that would mean 1 of Caicedo, Gallagher and Enzo missing out.

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I think it's fair to say that Broja's reputation rose substantially while he wasn't playing. I can't see him ever being the answer to the #1 striker we need.

But there were no viable alternatives 

I don't think I have seen one single post from anyone suggesting he is / was the answer to all our striking problems. Last season, I think it is safe to assume he would have been useful to have, as we had nothing else. 

As a no2, he could well be the answer. 

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m not saying they are, but if you go back to the post I was referring to, you’ll see the point being made was that it would be great to see Palmer, Mudryk and Sterling together, but that would mean 1 of Caicedo, Gallagher and Enzo missing out.

Yeah, I see. And with the games we have coming up, I can't see much past the current set up. 

Home games in particular against the bottom half, that switch makes sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah, I see. And with the games we have coming up, I can't see much past the current set up. 

Home games in particular against the bottom half, that switch makes sense

Yeah, I completely agree. I just hope we get to the chance to see them all together behind a striker and add Nkunku in there as well and suddenly it feels like competition for places and different options for approaches and formations.

Well, after a poor first half we dug deep and got the win, Sterling, terrible in the first half was very good in the second and was instrumental to our improved performance. 

I'd love to know what was said at half time because the two halves couldn't have been more different. 

Let's hope the international break doesn't end up with our players getting injured. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I completely agree. I just hope we get to the chance to see them all together behind a striker and add Nkunku in there as well and suddenly it feels like competition for places and different options for approaches and formations.

Christ, forgot about him! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd love to know what was said at half time because the two halves couldn't have been more different. 

Whatever was said, huge credit to Pochettino, I'm always very critical of managers that can't or don't change things when it's not going well.

The second half was night and day compared to the first and it was mostly down to the manager so fair play to him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well, after a poor first half we dug deep and got the win, Sterling, terrible in the first half was very good in the second and was instrumental to our improved performance. 

Don’t think there was any change at HT.

Putting the game into prospective. Burnley scored from open play.

Our First goal was a very fortunate OG. Second a penalty and boarder line where the challenge occurred. we only scored goals in open play when Burnley were chasing the game.

There are far more testing game ahead. Starting on 21-Oct. 

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Our First goal was a very fortunate OG. Second a penalty and boarder line where the challenge occurred. we only scored goals in open play when Burnley were chasing the game.

I'm thinking more about what was said to the players, because the first half was dire. 

Nobody (even you) could have been happy with Sterlings contribution first half, second he was excellent. 

Just now, martin1905 said:

Whatever was said, huge credit to Pochettino, I'm always very critical of managers that can't or don't change things when it's not going well.

The second half was night and day compared to the first and it was mostly down to the manager so fair play to him.

Was it that different, or is that exactly what happens when you get your noses in front against a team working desperately hard chasing the ball? 

Burnley ran out of steam,after chasing the ball the entire game

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Utter waffle

Was 100% a penalty and doesn't matter if it was in the middle of the box or on the line 

At no  point did Burnley chase the game, their game plan didn't change at all 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Was it that different, or is that exactly what happens when you get your noses in front against a team working desperately hard chasing the ball? 

Burnley ran out of steam,after chasing the ball the entire game

Was a completely different performance in the second half, in my opinion 

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Was a completely different performance in the second half, in my opinion 

Infinitely easier when you nudge in front. 

Not trying to put down the performance overall, but we've seen it thousands of times, where the weaker team are fine when they have something to hold, but go behind, and the game plan is done. 

Edited by paulw66

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

It’ll be nice for Poch to have choices rather than being forced to play certain players. We have some big players coming back. I’m very curious about Nkunku and Lavia especially. 

I think I mentioned it pre match that it would be nice to have two fit strikers to pick from. Nice to make a switch when form / fatigue dictates

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm telling you, it's Sterling who is the problem. 

Offers nothing 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I completely agree with you.

Even ignoring the second half display, I find this odd. 

His run caused the own goal. He had a similar run that resulted in the goalie making a decent save and he had a curling shot from 20 yards that was close. 

He was our most dangerous player from start to finish. 

• Agree 2

Good to see us come back from adversity and score some goals. Again, a little bit of Lady Luck going for us with the own goal, but we have had plenty of times when it has not gone for us, so let’s embrace it!

We could really do without this break now. It would be nice to keep the momentum going and keep playing games. Last thing we need is players flying all over the world to no benefit of Chelsea. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

His run caused the own goal. He had a similar run that resulted in the goalie making a decent save and he had a curling shot from 20 yards that was close. 

Agreed. He was the instigator in everything positive we did!

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Admittedly, saying he is the problem is a bit extreme, but he is incredibly frustrating. We saw a lot of good from him today and how good he can be, but he is infuriatingly inconsistent and at times the ball just bounces off him or he misses simple chances.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I did post that at 1-0 whilst he was bumbling around slowing everything down. 

• Agree 1

Another good result where I'm not sure we any better than the poor ones, but where a break went for rather than against us at a key moment. Not a criticism as such, it's true of about 90% of football matches. I hope it helps us get to a place where we have the confidence/mindset to more aggressively make those things happen sooner in games.

The moves for the last three goals were really nice. Palmer looks very promising given he was a late, opportunistic buy.

• Agree 3