Burnley 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Admittedly, saying he is the problem is a bit extreme, but he is incredibly frustrating. We saw a lot of good from him today and how good he can be, but he is infuriatingly inconsistent and at times the ball just bounces off him or he misses simple chances.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I did post that at 1-0 whilst he was bumbling around slowing everything down. 

But why single him out? What did anyone else do that was worthy of any merit in that first half? 

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Another good result where I'm not sure we any better than the poor ones, but where a break went for rather than against us at a key moment. Not a criticism as such, it's true of about 90% of football matches. I hope it helps us get to a place where we have the confidence/mindset to more aggressively make those things happen sooner in games.

The moves for the last three goals were really nice. Palmer looks very promising given he was a late, opportunistic buy.

4th goal in particular was very enjoyable. 

And for me, the best bit about the third was the Caicedo contribution 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

But why single him out? What did anyone else do that was worthy of any merit in that first half? 

It was the disappointment after I'd been bigging him up pre season and my expectations that he'd be the difference maker. 

I suppose I should have stuck with my original assessment I suppose. 

The heat of the moment and the passion lol. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was the disappointment after I'd been bigging him up pre season and my expectations that he'd be the difference maker. 

I suppose I should have stuck with my original assessment I suppose. 

The heat of the moment and the passion lol. 

Fair enough. Hopefully he continues like this when we're back

For me Sterling and Mudryk are both best on the left, so will be an interesting selection headache 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Time to admit it - @Ham, @xceleryx and co. - you were right and I was wrong.

We have work to do but there is much more to be optimistic about than not.

We're now heading in the right direction under Poch and these owners.

I genuinely thought we were on for a repeat of last season after our start.

Yes there will still be ups and downs but we are now, finally getting some results.

It was always fairly ridiculous to call for the managers head after five games. Especially under the circumstances. 

Are we back? No. We will have results like today but also results like Forest at home. This side will take time to gel and mature. Keep that in mind next time we lose. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Utter waffle

At no  point did Burnley chase the game, their game plan didn't change at all 

So there a new one,  it must be another PGMOL new ruling after last weeks debacle.
If a team is loosing they are not chasing the game  

53 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Infinitely easier when you nudge in front. 

Not trying to put down the performance overall, but we've seen it thousands of times, where the weaker team are fine when they have something to hold, but go behind, and the game plan is done. 

Absolutely and maybe that's why we were so much better in the second half, maybe it was what Pochettino said at half time, maybe both.

Whatever it was, and for whatever reason the second half was much better than the first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Involved in all 4 goals

If Mudryk had did what Sterling did today, our fan base would be lauding him as the next Messi.

It’s really odd how Sterling gets so much flak.  He’s our most productive attacker by a distance.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

If Mudryk had did what Sterling did today, our fan base would be lauding him as the next Messi.

It’s really odd how Sterling gets so much flak.  He’s our most productive attacker by a distance.  

With him and Mudryk on the left, plus Palmer and Madueke on the right, we have actual depth and competition for places. Although Madueke is some way off at the moment.

27 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

No, they are just loosing.

To chase a game you actually have to, chase it.

So using your logic, Chelsea were losing and until Sterling fortunate deflection and never chasing the game for an equaliser?

• Confused 1

Just now, ROTG said:

So using your logic, Chelsea were losing and until Sterling fortunate deflection and never chasing the game for an equaliser?

This is silly stuff mate. You know what he means, and if you don't there really is no basis for a conversation.

44 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It was always fairly ridiculous to call for the managers head after five games. Especially under the circumstances. 

Are we back? No. We will have results like today but also results like Forest at home. This side will take time to gel and mature. Keep that in mind next time we lose. 

I was honestly more calling for the board to go than Poch.

It's disingenuous to just say "when we lose". We had our worst start to the season in 45 years, having had the easiest run of fixtures in the league. I expect ups and downs - I do not expect us to repeat that run of results any time soon. 

Brilliant - the lads and Poch have turned it around. I now believe I was wrong to think we would repeat last season because all our lads are now starting to show something. Others on here predicted this and credit where credit is due.

But it was a disastrous start to the season. We desperately had to turn the tide and I reject it being narrativised as "we will win some, we will lose some". Now we are starting to make up for it. Great to see as not easy to turn it around.

Just now, RDCW said:

This is silly stuff mate. You know what he means, and if you don't there really is no basis for a conversation.

Why is it silly. 

having watched the match, Burnley were trying to compete and pushing on after the penalty, hence Chelsea’s ability to score from open play.  

until that point Chelsea had not be very dominate and done sweet FA in the box. You only have to read the notes on this thread until we equalised. 

time for me to go forth. 
To many Andy Gorham’s (RIP) on here. 

14 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Wow.

Not sure what you are eluding to?  
I assume after beating two team who dreaming of 40pts we are back on course  for a top 4 finish?

Edited by ROTG
  • Disagree 1