Eden Hazard Retires

Sciatika

45 minutes ago, JaneB said:

It’s difficult isn’t it?

Zola, Hazard, Lampard, Terry…..

If we're saying "best" as in most exciting or talented or skilful then it's between Zola and Hazard for me with Eden edging it. 

Just magnificent. For me, second only to the one true god of SB, Sir Zola, for he walks on water and can do no wrong. 😉💙💙💙

A terrible shame that Eden, such a wonderful talent has had to retire so young. A privilege to watch him play. Good luck, our little Belgian genius! 💙

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

... Desailly, Kante, Silva
It'll be Fernandez is my gut feeling, if we keep him, 

I think you’ve just said that to be controversial (who’d have thought it?)

As for Desailly, Kante and Silva, they were/are fabulous but I could think of a number of names to add to them, including of course my favourite Lord Percy, whereas Zola, Hazard, Lampard and Terry were just extra extra special 👌🏻

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

As for Desailly, Kante and Silva, they were/are fabulous but I could think of a number of names to add to them, including of course my favourite Lord Percy, whereas Zola, Hazard, Lampard and Terry were just extra extra special 👌🏻

Lord Percy. 💙 An era when I really did love our players. They were true heroes back then imo. Not like now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

If we're saying "best" as in most exciting or talented or skilful then it's between Zola and Hazard for me with Eden edging it. 

Of course but Lampard and Terry’s contributions just cannot be surpassed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Only partly.  Or at least if I thought  everyone thought the same they'd be little point in posting it.
It is true that I may never have seen Zola in the flesh as I was abroad then, and not much on TV because broadband wasn't that broad.  But I have always thought he was over-rated.  52 goals in 7 seasons.  And Desailly very much under-rated.  Kante is certainly in the Hazard class (or was for 5 seasons with us.)  If Silva quit at the same time as young Hazard did .....

8 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Only partly.  Or at least if I thought  everyone thought the same they'd be little point in posting it.
It is true that I may never have seen Zola in the flesh as I was abroad then, and not much on TV because broadband wasn't that broad.  But I have always thought he was over-rated.  52 goals in 7 seasons.  And Desailly very much under-rated.  Kante is certainly in the Hazard class (or was for 5 seasons with us.)  If Silva quit at the same time as young Hazard did .....

Don't quite understand that last sentence.

As for Franco, he was a magician.  What about all the goals he created?  And I'm very happy to say I had the pleasure of seeing him play in the flesh many times and that was a sight to behold.

The special thing about Franco though, was that he was universally liked and admired.  He was/is a delightful, humble man who never stopped trying to improve, like all the best players.  And even if he hadn't been a footballer he would still be a gem of a man.  I have such affection for him. 

"There's only one Mrs. Zola....." 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Don't quite understand that last sentence.

I mean if Silva had quit in the summer we'd all be saying how wonderful he was too.
Just as if Hazard had spent the last 4 seasons here, he wouldn't be top of many people's list.  He quit Chelsea at the perfect time.

Zola was a lovely man.  A few on the potential list weren't.  I don't watch football for the lovely men, I thought Vinnie Jones was brilliant, or lets say good entertainment value.

What an incredible player he was . Certainly this early retirement is tinged with sadness because really,  Edens career was over (in all but name) when he joined Madrid. I suppose we were super fortunate to not only get the best from him but also £100m transfer fee. Sadly we did piss much of that up against the wall by using it to buy players such as Werner, Zyech and Havertz. 
And the reason this amazing player didn’t see his career go into his 30s was because referees in this country allowed him to be kicked from pillar to post in virtually every game. His extreme skill , plus a blue Chelsea  shirt on his back made him a legitimate target for every slow witted  thug in the PL, and refs just let them get away with it. Alongside those clips of his amazing goals should be clips of the brutality aimed at him. Ultimately Eden and RM paid the price for this dereliction of duty from our footballing authorities. 
I hope he comes back to see us soon. Enjoy your well earned rest Eden , you bloody legend. 

• Love 1
  • Agree 2

I tend to wait until they retire before adding players to my list of favourites. Eden is definitely one of them. He is the kind of player who could individually turn a game. It was always inevitable that he would have to retire early.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

This has been going on for about 10 hours apparently.  On a loop? maybe not!

The official website version lasts 25 mins
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/video/every-eden-hazard-goal

Our first team should sit and watch this and see how to finish, the man was a fantastic finisher. 

So many bangers and a remarkable amount of penalties too, imagine how many he'd have scored if they actually awarded us the correct amount! 

• Haha 1

He was a pretty decent finisher, but I always got the impression with Hazard, that he much preferred an assist to actually scoring himself. He balanced that fine line very well, between not overplaying looking for an assist, but ensuring we made most the most of a situation and the team scoring .

He certainly sits comfortably in our top 5 ever greatest players. These things always subjective due to age and era's etc, but I think you would get a large consensus agree that Eden deserves his place in any Top 5 greatest Chelsea players.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A lot has been said about this gem of a player, I am not even sure what I can add what hasn't been said yet, but I'll try!

When I was a kid playing football Joe Cole was my absolute idol, a local London boy, always with a clear head, good advice and incredible bit of skill that won over my heart. My dad went to London in 2006/7 and brought me a Chelsea shirt with J.Cole on the back. It cost 50 quid which was insane money for me as a kid at that time and once Joey left Chelsea I thought I would never have another hero like him.

And then... It was such a moment when his 10 jersey was passed to Eden and Joey himself convinced Eden to come here. Boy did he deliver! Now being a grown up man I have found another player that I can fully relate to, especially when playing football myself trying to imitate what he did on the pitch. For me Eden has also given such an influence to improve my physicality (grow a bigger arse!!!), work on my flexibility, low centre of gravity strength. AND mentally he was always SO RELAXED and enjoyed the game so much, you could see the passion he has for football in his eyes, it never seemed like he was under pressure or stressed. I remember the panenka penalty against City under Sarri 🙂 

But the best moment for me was when we won 2-1 against Newcastle away it was I think and he said "We are Chelsea, we never give up" that's when I knew he would go down into our history books. He knows what being Chelsea means. It's our spirit to never give up despite being treated as underdogs or all odds being agaist us - WE NEVE GIVE UP AND WE ENJOY IT!!!

Eden Hazard, wish you all the best in your retirement and I am ready for a standing ovation whenever you are around at the Bridge again 💙

• Love 4

Agree with every sentiment on here...as @Thiago97 wisely stated..age and era's come very much into such discussions.... Greatest Ever can never be assigned...The Truly Greats stand together through the generations and are Chelsea Legends with no dissenting opinions..I saw on the live stage  The Cat, Osgood, Cooke and Nevin in their prime as did many here see Zola and Eden...the true joy of following our Club...others of course but just looking at the Truly Greats...then come the Great Chelsea players...those who lifted us with different contributions...the "heart" favourites.

I wish Eden so much good for the future..he gave us all so much and will always be in that Truly Great dressing room.

Added...of course I meant other TG's not listed as well.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sadly we did piss much of that up against the wall by using it to buy players such as Werner, Zyech and Havertz. 

Which delivered the CL.

Hazard signed for the CL champions but unfortunately he was not able to win it in blue. 

15 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

. Sadly we did piss much of that up against the wall by using it to buy players such as Werner, Zyech and Havertz. 

Not that is entirely works like that, but we did get money back on those players. It wasn't all down the pan. Plus there were one or two trophies to go with it.

15 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

And the reason this amazing player didn’t see his career go into his 30s was because referees in this country allowed him to be kicked from pillar to post in virtually every game. His extreme skill , plus a blue Chelsea  shirt on his back made him a legitimate target for every slow witted  thug in the PL, and refs just let them get away with it. 

I agree to a point, but :

1. He played a LOT of games in his short (in years compared to some) career. 

2. He was overplayed often in his time here

3. He wasn't the most professional in his approach to keeping his body tip top.

But yes, some of the treatment on him was physical assault at times

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

3. He wasn't the most professional in his approach to keeping his body tip top.

Some might argue that rest was the best way for him.
Certainly by the time of Sarri he was allowed to play in a fairly relaxed way too, no modern press for him.
Lucky Mount and Gallagher never played with him, they'd have been furious.

But that is why i say that Sarri made Hazard an RM player, not that Hazard made Sarri a Juve manager.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JaneB said:

It’s difficult isn’t it?

Zola, Hazard, Lampard, Terry…..

True.I would separate Kante,Lampard and Terry from the best of the rest.Three players that were consistently world class in club football,and all true professionals in every sense of the word.

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Which delivered the CL.

Hazard signed for the CL champions but unfortunately he was not able to win it in blue. 

That’s like saying Roberto Di Mateo is one of our greatest ever coaches because he won us our first CL .
Those three played a big part in the exit of Lampard , TT  and Potter.  My Arsenal mates are already scratching their heads over  Jorginho  and Havertz . You want Havertz Werner and Zyech back here then? I don’t , and considering our poor current  options , it’s a poor indictment  on their playing ability. 

20 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

That’s like saying Roberto Di Mateo is one of our greatest ever coaches because he won us our first CL .

Like it or not RDM will always be associated with winning the CL along with Ryan Bertrand. 

20 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Those three played a big part in the exit of Lampard , TT  and Potter

Really. 
Lampard had run his course of getting the club over the transfer ban. 
TT was removed for some reason which has never been disclosed,however he and those players delivered CL Super-cup, world club champions along with reaching domestic finals and CL qualification 

As for Potter the project etc. let’s no go there enough has been said on his tenure at the club. 

Hazard wonderful player and a true legend. The others you are trashing also have a place in the clubs history. 

It could be a long time before we have another conversations on the current team lifting trophies and comparing legends at Chelsea.  

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Like it or not RDM will always be associated with winning the CL along with Ryan Bertrand. 

Really. 
Lampard had run his course of getting the club over the transfer ban. 
TT was removed for some reason which has never been disclosed,however he and those players delivered CL Super-cup, world club champions along with reaching domestic finals and CL qualification 

As for Potter the project etc. let’s no go there enough has been said on his tenure at the club. 

Hazard wonderful player and a true legend. The others you are trashing also have a place in the clubs history. 

It could be a long time before we have another conversations on the current team lifting trophies and comparing legends at Chelsea.  

I will kiss RDM on the lips if I ever meet him. I was making the point that although he won the CL he’s not our greatest ever coach. You  were  claiming  ( I think) that because Havertz /Bertrand won the CL with Chelsea they were somehow a better or more significant players than Hazard.

And regarding the coaches , yes really.  The league is the bar by which all Chelsea  coaches are judged, not Super Cups or any other cups.  We sacked both RDM and TT after winning the CL  of course ( RDM after a few months). Those trophies/cups can keep a coach in the job a bit longer  but if Lampard , Potter, TT or Poch start to fail in the week in week out business of the PL  , they are out. Simples. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2