Chelsea 0 Brentford 2

JaneB

9 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

9 first teamers injured, 2 keepers on the bench and Noni playing first start of season. Poch options were limited. 

No excuse for the standard of football we have seen. All season.

Hopeless defensively and the worst attacking set up I have ever seen at this club and by that I mean the way we attack, not the individuals, as an attacking unit we are absolutely clueless and create virtually nothing through our attacking play. 

19 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Maatsen is terrible. Absolutely terrible. 

He is when he is played at right wing or whatever you call it these days. This is all on Poch.. how can you have Gusto and James on the bench but start Diasi at right back - at home!!!!  It definitely isn't rocket science! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well that was embarassing. Mudryk and Enzo dropping out before the game didn’t help, but still thought we had more than enough to get something from the game. Once Sterling and Cucurella didn’t take their chances in the first half, Brentford sensed an opportunity. All it took was for them to step up, put in a far post cross, and we were done for. Game over.

I think we can say that top four is out of reach now. We need to get a proper centre forward in January. And get away from the idea of buying only youngsters. We can’t afford to wait around for Madueke, Jackson, Maatsen to one day be  competitive at this level. 

Bench was very thin as well. How did we spend all that money and end up with Madueke and Jackson as starters with Maatsen and Washington as subs? Just bloody nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

He is when he is played at right wing or whatever you call it these days. This is all on Poch.. how can you have Gusto and James on the bench but start Diasi at right back - at home!!!!  It definitely isn't rocket science! 

I'm guessing Disasi's inclusion was for his aerial ability to counter Brentford's set pieces - but he was absolutely terrible for the goal. Zero awareness, otherwise I'm sure he would've put his body on the line and made a more convincing challenge.

Gusto, Disasi, twice in 2 weeks - lessons need to be learned, inexcusable at this level.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Disagree with you there!

Our defence keeps on giving away sloppy goals week after week which means we are going into every game knowing we'll  have to score at least two to win. That in turn is putting extra pressure on our under performing attack. 

seems you actually agree, we both think our defence sucks and we cant score the 2 or more we need to get a win

Unless a ball bounces fortunately and we get a break, we're hopeless. I think we're second only to Luton in being the easiest team in the PL to plan for and play against. If you're Brentford, you absolutely know you just stick everyone behind the ball and wait, you'd be stupid to try anything else. 

We'll see that match again at least another 10 times this season. 

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Appalling performance, once they’d kept us out and we knew we’d have to do something different to score, we just refused to work hard at it. 

They grew in confidence and you could see them nicking one. No belief and the subs made things worse AGAIN.

I’ve watched football for a long while, and I’m convinced that there’s a major change required for us to be able to compete again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

Appalling performance, once they’d kept us out and we knew we’d have to do something different to score, we just refused to work hard at it. 

They grew in confidence and you could see them nicking one. No belief and the subs made things worse AGAIN.

I’ve watched football for a long while, and I’m convinced that there’s a major change required for us to be able to compete again.

Another manager?

6 minutes ago, east lower said:

I wouldn't agree on this occasion (think it's more fair to say they made absolutely no difference) but I struggle with this criticism getting much traction. The subs aren't improving things for a really obvious reason. The players coming on are worse than those coming off. Usually much, much worse.  The sole attacking player we had to bring on isn't even in double figures for senior appearances.

Our problems are so much deeper than who comes on or who it is that makes that decision and when. Personally, I really struggle to see that a different manager makes any difference at this point, we're fundamentally broken.

Edited by thevelourfog

Massive overreaction as usual.

We totally dominated, especially first half and a  2-0  win would not have flattered us in the slightest.  Played some excellent football in patches and struggled for ideas at times - normal. Brentford were well drilled and defended excellently and that can happen. Palmer excellent. Gallagher excellent.  Sterling good first half but ran out of ideas. Felt he was at fault for the goal, leaving Cucurella to deal with 2 players from the throw, while he was literally looking the other way. Cucurella did well again today. Game decided on a few seconds of poor concentration. Tiny margins. Other than that, a decent performance that deserved a win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, McCreadie said:

We totally dominated, especially first half and a  2-0  win would not have flattered us in the slightest.  Played some excellent football in patches and struggled for ideas at times - normal. Brentford were well drilled and defended excellently and that can happen. Palmer excellent. Gallagher excellent.  Sterling good first half but ran out of ideas. Felt he was at fault for the goal, leaving Cucurella to deal with 2 players from the throw, while he was literally looking the other way. Cucurella did well again today. Game decided on a few seconds of poor concentration. Tiny margins. Other than that, a decent performance that deserved a win.

Really? A decent performance? 

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I wouldn't agree on this occasion (think it's more fair to say they made absolutely no difference) but I struggle with this criticism getting much traction. The subs aren't improving things for a really obvious reason. The players coming on are worse than those coming off. Usually much, much worse.  The sole attacking player we had to bring on isn't even in double figures for senior appearances.

Our problems are so much deeper than who comes on or who it is that makes that decision and when. Personally, I really struggle to see that a different manager makes any difference at this point, we're fundamentally broken.

Well, this one ain’t cutting it. 

His substitutions haven’t improved any game I can recall, so it’s more than the people. Slow laborious crap. 

At least get his team motivated, we were outworked again. He’s not getting the basic bit right.

• Agree 1

Just now, McCreadie said:

I sympathise, but I think this is probably an under-reaction. It's the kind of analysis that stands up when you look just at one match, but falls to pieces if you stand back and look at the overall pattern. And the overall pattern is very clear. "Dominating" but making nothing and losing out on "tiny margins" has happened at least every other week for not far off two years.

3 minutes ago, east lower said:

Well, this one ain’t cutting it. 

His substitutions haven’t improved any game I can recall, so it’s more than the people. Slow laborious crap. 

At least get his team motivated, we were outworked again. He’s not getting the basic bit right.

Not how I see it. What depresses me is that we worked really hard. I don't mean that as a compliment or defence. Toiled and laboured are the words that come to my mind. I don't think we lack effort. It's much worse than that.

I'd bet we'll see another coach before too long and no improvement or anything different for it.

22 minutes ago, east lower said:

Owners who know what they’re doing would be a nice start. 

25 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Unless a ball bounces fortunately and we get a break, we're hopeless. I think we're second only to Luton in being the easiest team in the PL to plan for and play against. If you're Brentford, you absolutely know you just stick everyone behind the ball and wait, you'd be stupid to try anything else. 

We'll see that match again at least another 10 times this season. 

Said it earlier in the season, be patient, eventually we'll do it to ourselves. 

Happened last week and today and at numerous previous times, we pass the ball around until we get confused and the opposition pounce. 

Pitiful really. 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

And let's not mess about, we just lost at home to a team that was fucking rubbish, absolutely shocking from Brentford and we had no answers.

I hope you remembered to put £3.80 in the Jar towards your end of season CFCnet donation.😀

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blue Orca said:

9 first teamers injured, 2 keepers on the bench and Noni playing first start of season. Poch options were limited. 

Whether we are playing first second or third team the style has been the same this season.  Slow build up passing in front of the defense,  lots of sideways passes, allowing the opponent to reorganize and regroup. This has nothing to do with injured players.

You have to pull your opponent out of position and hit them in transition. That is how goals are created. Giving your opponent time to arrange two rows of defence and then passing the ball in front of them leads nowhere. You can do that all day long and create no goal. 

Edited by Siidi

9 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Can we just buy 3 goalscoring strikers in January. Osimhen, Toney and one more as a backup. Had enough of this. All season long we don't make our domination count. There hasn't been one game where we should have lost. It's because of our striking impotence. 

What an insane decision going into the season with Broja and Jackson as our main strikers. It was predictable that Broja was going to struggle after his injury and Jackson is a work in progress. 

I wouldn’t even call our Board amateurs, because an amateur could have predicted what was going to happen. They’re not amateurs. They’re just plain incompetent. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Can I have some of the gear you are obviously taking. A ridiculous positive overview of the game which frankly was shite.