Chelsea 2 Blackburn Rovers 0

JaneB

I suppose a win is a win but in reality it was more of the same , maybe if the referees weren't so full of bias against us we'd have got the penalty but to be honest we really have very little chance of ever getting one unless VAR spot it and that depends whether they have a cretin in charge like we saw at the weekend when the worst referee in Premier League history was given the job of doing us over. 

Palmer , already is our best player , Cucurella looks to be getting back to his best which is great and every time we see Big Les I wonder why we don't see more of him .

Nice to see Benoit and Reece back for a run out .

Nothing to get excited about but it's nice to get a win and as Holy Moly says above , Newcastle at home when they'll be worrying more about the Champions league is winnable , and nice for once to not be that side that has one eye on the other games for a change .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dwmh said:

I'll read the other comments soon.
My reaction - rubbish.  Imagine playing a full strength Leicester team, 20 points higher than Blackburn.

Very very poor.

Yes, have to admit I've seen only 30 or so minutes of "highlights" but thought we looked completely sterile throughout. A little less luck with the first goal and a slightly better opponent and we know what happens.

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

One of those "get the job done" type of performances that. 

More a "job eventually got done" result, the performance was exactly as it has been all season. 

13 games now and yes that's still very early but, after I was heavily criticised for wanting him gone after 6 games, because it was obvious that the man has no idea what he is doing, much like Potter and Lampard I'd like to ask what people have seen to show some signs of improvement?

There is a long list of managers making an immediate impact, Postecoglou, Emery, Howe, De Zerbi some very notable, very recent examples. All of them have the same thing in common. They have a system and style of play and know how to implement it. Pochettino has never been one of those managers and always relied on individual players along with being physical and nasty. It's why he has never achieved anything and never will.

We have seen zero signs of improvement from day 1 against Liverpool. We have absolutely no style or identity. We are clueless in literally every area of the pitch. It's embarrassing to have a goalkeeper who is so bad on the ball and look nervous every time he has it yet still try and play out from the back. Then when the ball goes to one of the defenders it's shambolic, especially when we have a set of very capable played on the ball, they have absolutely no idea what to do with it and just aimlessly pass the ball between them at walking pace.

Once the ball gets further up the pitch it's even worse. No one is on the same wavelength, none of the attacking players have any idea what to do. There's nothing there and it's not down to the individuals, it's down to what is not happening on the training ground.

Of course 13 games is not that long but it is plenty of time to see something, anything to give us hope that with more time things will improve. For that to happen you have to see a plan in place, a system and style of play from back to front, on and off the ball that is clear, that with time it should get better and better.

There's nothing. We are as bad as we were under Potter with no style, no system, no identity, no Idea and it all comes down to one man.

19 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

13 games now and yes that's still very early but, after I was heavily criticised for wanting him gone after 6 games, because it was obvious that the man has no idea what he is doing, much like Potter and Lampard I'd like to ask what people have seen to show some signs of improvement?

There is a long list of managers making an immediate impact, Postecoglou, Emery, Howe, De Zerbi some very notable, very recent examples. All of them have the same thing in common. They have a system and style of play and know how to implement it. Pochettino has never been one of those managers and always relied on individual players along with being physical and nasty. It's why he has never achieved anything and never will.

We have seen zero signs of improvement from day 1 against Liverpool. We have absolutely no style or identity. We are clueless in literally every area of the pitch. It's embarrassing to have a goalkeeper who is so bad on the ball and look nervous every time he has it yet still try and play out from the back. Then when the ball goes to one of the defenders it's shambolic, especially when we have a set of very capable played on the ball, they have absolutely no idea what to do with it and just aimlessly pass the ball between them at walking pace.

Once the ball gets further up the pitch it's even worse. No one is on the same wavelength, none of the attacking players have any idea what to do. There's nothing there and it's not down to the individuals, it's down to what is not happening on the training ground.

Of course 13 games is not that long but it is plenty of time to see something, anything to give us hope that with more time things will improve. For that to happen you have to see a plan in place, a system and style of play from back to front, on and off the ball that is clear, that with time it should get better and better.

There's nothing. We are as bad as we were under Potter with no style, no system, no identity, no Idea and it all comes down to one man.

Points taken but Cucurella (who I have been very harsh on) and Mudryk have definitely improved imo. I love Chilly but no one here is clamouring form him. Palmer is being given chances (and is taking them). A lot here including me wanted Conor to get chances to play and he’s taken them.

Poch isn’t blameless but he doesn’t miss the chances. He doesn’t make Sánchez’s daft decisions. He doesn’t want slow, slow, slow.

As dear old Ranners said: when the team wins it’s the players but when they lose it’s the manager. 

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So SFL with a dark side.  Yes that is about right.
At least it is a lot less painful to everyone to watch Poch fail.

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We have seen progress, we do have players performing well and improving. We still lack goals and consistency.

Not yesterday we didn't.
Yesterday was regression against the bench of a mediochre championship team (who very nearly scored at the end)

Big Les - not sure where all the praise comes from, I just find it very hard to notice him in our midfield.  Maybe I am missing something.  Or maybe it is like the first 6 months of Kalou when I just assumed everyone else was seeng things I had missed.

Similarly Cole palmer.  Good absolutely.  Superb?  Seriously?

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Points taken but Cucurella (who I have been very harsh on) and Mudryk have definitely improved imo.

True, but not the team.  Others have gone backwards.

Besides we know well:

Price of players > value of players > performances of players > xG-xG from the players > goals for - goals against > the points we are getting from games.

We are failing in pretty much every aspect

Just now, Dwmh said:

Not yesterday we didn't.
Yesterday was regression against the bench of a mediochre championship team (who very nearly scored at the end)

Big Les - not sure where all the praise comes from, I just find it very hard to notice him in our midfield.  Maybe I am missing something.  Or maybe it is like the first 6 months of Kalou when I just assumed everyone else was seeng things I had missed.

Similarly Cole palmer.  Good absolutely.  Superb?  Seriously?

I can't comment on last nights game as I didn't see it. 

Overall though, I think players are playing better than last season. This may not all be down to Poch, but he is the man in charge right now, so we have to attribute that down to him in some capacity (Sterling , Mudryk, Cucurella, Gallagher)

We have seen glimpses of promise in our new players introduce to the squad (Colwill, Caicedo, Disasi, Jackson, Gusto)

We are clearly better to watch than last season. We are running harder for 90mins. We clearly have a better moral around the place, the players are noticeably more bought into what is currently happening at the club. One of the main issues is we have lost a huge amount of experience, and this has been replaced by inexperience, which generally brings inconsistency.  

A quality striker will transform this team. We will still lack consistency, and I don't think there is much we can do about that in the short - medium term. The club has taken its position on this now, the only way we get through that is by keep playing these younger players and letting them learn on the job.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I think you made your mind up that you didn't want Poch and now you're making everything fit that narrative.

We played pretty well last night individually and collectively.  We got the job done. Once again, we're only lacking in the attacking third.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think you made your mind up that you didn't want Poch and now you're making everything fit that narrative.

We played pretty well last night individually and collectively.  We got the job done. Once again, we're only lacking in the attacking third.  

I’d add that Lavia and Nkunku could also make a huge difference. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

None of this is accurate. It's just another rant 4 weeks after the last one, timed off the back of a couple of disappointing results. 

Explain to me what is not accurate, maybe answer my question too considering you were the main antagonist after me wanting him out so early. Where's the improvement? 

Meanwhile, since your lauding of De Zerbi and claims of him achieving more than Poch. I don't think he has won a game since and they have conceded a shit load of goals. I'm sure you would have been delighted had he come to Chelsea and experienced what Brighton have over the last 6-8 games!

Brighton and Hove Albion have had a poor run of form, shock horror. They are a mid table premier league club, at absolute best, and their manager has turned them into one of the best sides to watch in the league. 

I assume you don't watch them as you may have an understanding of why I want him after everything I've been saying about Pochettino. It's not about results, it's about seeing some improvement and building an identity, something Brighton always show, even away at City.

The point is that these small passages of time are exactly that. A small sample of things within the bigger picture. We have seen progress, we do have players performing well and improving. We still lack goals and consistency.

We lack a lot more than goals and consistency. Ironically the lack of goals are down to how poor we perform on the pitch, how we have no idea what to do in the attacking areas, something that comes down to work on the training ground. Something we have seen zero improvement in 13 games now. 

I guess your right and I'm wrong though as usual. You've made it perfectly clear that if you have a different opinion to someone there's is wrong and you are right,  much like your disgraceful comments about Ivan Toney in the last couple of days so there is very little point in this.

39 minutes ago, Ham said:

Wasn't here - but seriously did any long term Chelsea fan want Poch?  Really?
After that Clattenberg game.

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

Unfortunately 85 mins of the game was either in the attacking third or us trying to reach it.

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Brighton and Hove Albion have had a poor run of form, shock horror. They are a mid table premier league club, at absolute best, and their manager has turned them into one of the best sides to watch in the league. 

3 consecctive PL wins followed by losing in the Carabao cup to us (they don't need the competition)
then the disastrous 6-1 vs Villa.
A win and a draw in Europe, a draw with Liverpool, a loss by 1 goal at Man City, and a draw with Fulham (equal on points with us).

It is one single bad result, not a poor run at all.

41 minutes ago, Ham said:

You could put Haaland upfront for us and it would make very little difference.

Those that think we are a striker away from being ok are missing everything.

Of course it will make a difference but it is not our biggest problem.

We've had four managers in the last few years. Three are inept, one isn't. The three inept ones all had the same issues, they had no idea how to implement things on the training ground. The one that did, well I was gonna write everything he achieved here but we all know that......

After witnessing what we have with our own eyes the last 5 or so years it astonishes me that people don't see it. I'm not sure how much of it is just internet point scoring, not aiming that at you at all, or just blind faith but it baffles me.

1 minute ago, Dwmh said:

Wasn't here - but seriously did any long term Chelsea fan want Poch?  Really?
After that Clattenberg game.

Unfortunately 85 mins of the game was either in the attacking third or us trying to reach it.

3 consecctive PL wins followed by losing in the Carabao cup to us (they don't need the competition)
then the disastrous 6-1 vs Villa.
A win and a draw in Europe, a draw with Liverpool, a loss by 1 goal at Man City, and a draw with Fulham (equal on points with us).

It is one single bad result, not a poor run at all.

I know that but there's no point me arguing with him as he just tells me he's right and I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

We've had four managers in the last few years. Three are inept, one isn't. The three inept ones all had the same issues, they had no idea how to implement things on the training ground. The one that did, well I was gonna write everything he achieved here but we all know that......

QFT
but I still think the problems are deeper than the manager, just not sure what they are.

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

QFT
but I still think the problems are deeper than the manager, just not sure what they are.

Too much of a clean sweep and hurried approach to things at the very top imo. As I’ve said before, and who knows what was said to Marina and Cech but if we didn’t, imo we should have moved heaven and earth to keep them for one more season. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Explain to me what is not accurate, maybe answer my question too considering you were the main antagonist after me wanting him out so early. Where's the improvement? 

I assume you don't watch them as you may have an understanding of why I want him after everything I've been saying about Pochettino. It's not about results, it's about seeing some improvement and building an identity, something Brighton always show, even away at City.

We lack a lot more than goals and consistency. Ironically the lack of goals are down to how poor we perform on the pitch, how we have no idea what to do in the attacking areas, something that comes down to work on the training ground. Something we have seen zero improvement in 13 games now. 

I guess your right and I'm wrong though as usual. You've made it perfectly clear that if you have a different opinion to someone there's is wrong and you are right,  much like your disgraceful comments about Ivan Toney in the last couple of days so there is very little point in this.

We've been through all this already. You were the one who a month ago, came on here and apologised and said you probably overreacted to the situation (which coincided with a couple of positive results). I said to you then, the positive results were a small snapshot and none of that makes me right or wrong, neither does a poor run of results which may follow.

Now you are back banging the same drum after a couple of disappointing results.  You really have to ask yourself how does this play out for you ? Are you planning on this flip flopping cycle every few weeks, we have a mini good run and all is quiet and you were maybe overreacting, followed by a mini bad run and he's a terrible manager who has to go..........how do you get anything positive out of that ? How does that stack up with any credibility ?

As for the comments about me always being right. I really don't think this, I am more than prepared to change my stance on things and admit when I got it wrong. I was one of the voices not too fussed had we sold Gallagher, as things stand now, I was wrong. The difference is, I present my argument well through a good understanding of football, probably better than yours (I realise that sounds arrogant, but it is what i believe) , this seems to frustrate you and you resort to claims that I think I am always right etc etc......It's nothing of the sort and I don't have these same disputes with others on here, so I can only presume others don't feel that same way.  You have previous for feeling victimised when challenged on things.

Finally, I have not made any disgraceful comments on Toney. I have said I don't believe he has a gambling problem, based on my knowledge of the gambling industry. I believe the 'addiction' claim is a tactical play (a completely understandable one and one I would also play in that scenario). I am afraid you mentioning this comes across as an attempt at cheap points scoring.

Do yourself a favour. Be prepared for more inconsistency like we are seeing,  and try to enjoy the ride as much as possible.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We've been through all this already. You were the one who a month ago, came on here and apologised and said you probably overreacted to the situation (which coincided with a couple of positive results). I said to you then, the positive results were a small snapshot and none of that makes me right or wrong, neither does a poor run of results which may follow.

I apoloised for my arguing and said I was more open to Pochettino as here were signs of a good team spirit being built. I am more open to him, no way I would sack him now, the time for that has passed. I also said it had nothing to do with the results, my  criticism has very little to do with results and I have been very consistent with that 

Now you are back banging the same drum after a couple of disappointing results.  You really have to ask yourself how does this play out for you ? Are you planning on this flip flopping cycle every few weeks, we have a mini good run and all is quiet and you were maybe overreacting, followed by a mini bad run and he's a terrible manager who has to go..........how do you get anything positive out of that ? How does that stack up with any credibility ?

Again, nothing to do with results and have not said he should be sacked, quite the opposite.

It's not flip flopping. I said after the Burnley game that I many have been a bit harsh and argumentative on here and apoloised for that. I also said I was more open to Pochettino and I am. 

Doesn't change what we are seeing on the football pitch, week in week out.

As for the comments about me always being right. I really don't think this, I am more than prepared to change my stance on things and admit when I got it wrong. I was one of the voices not too fussed had we sold Gallagher, as things stand now, I was wrong. The difference is, I present my argument well through a good understanding of football, probably better than yours (I realise that sounds arrogant, but it is what i believe) , this seems to frustrate you and you resort to claims that I think I am always right etc etc......It's nothing of the sort and I don't have these same disputes with others on here, so I can only presume others don't feel that same way.  You have previous for feeling victimised when challenged on things.

Just about sums you up. So arrogant and think you know better than everyone because your opinion is right, literally I'm right your wrong.

I assume the 97 is year year of birth, would explain a lot.

Previous for feeling victimised? Your having a laugh. There was a time on here when there was a real clique, backed up by the mods and anyone that didn't agree was abused on an almost daily basis, whilst others got banned left right an centre for nothing as bad as the choosen ones were allowed to say.

I called it out, nothing to do with feeling victimised. I really wish I still had all the PM's I received at the time from lots and lots of members saying they were glad that someone had finally made a stand.

Finally, I have not made any disgraceful comments on Toney. I have said I don't believe he has a gambling problem, based on my knowledge of the gambling industry. I believe the 'addiction' claim is a tactical play (a completely understandable one and one I would also play in that scenario). I am afraid you mentioning this comes across as an attempt at cheap points scoring.

Do yourself a favour. Be prepared for more inconsistency like we are seeing,  and try to enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Your comments were an utter disgrace. You give it the biggun about being a 'semi pro gambler' like that means you know more than most about Toney's situation. So arrogant much like your previous paragraph, I really hope your not 26 with this level of arrogance.

You claim being a 'semi and gambler' you know the industry. Well what you don't know is anything other than what the media has reported. Do you know how often he bets, what he bets on, how much money he has lost, what his mental state is like because of it? No, you know absolutely nothing and to claim him calling for help and admitting his addiction a PR stunt is a disgrace.

I'll tell you what I know. Nothing about gambling as it's a mugs game but I know quite a bit about addiction. My brother died of a drug overdoses when he was 19. My dad was an absusive alcoholic. I've lost 6 people in my life through sucide after issues with addiction. I have personally been addicted to drugs and alcohol at different stages of my life so to claim someone is admitting they are an addict and asking for help, without knowing anything about it, is a PR stunt is a disgrace

11 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Utter nonsense and you full well know it, or at least I'd like to hope given you do provide some good discussion at times.

As mentioned already it's not the manager making Jackson look like he's never seen a goal before, that we've had some important players drop like flies and not be available for selection, nor is it his fault someone like Sanchez has a disconnect between his decision making skill and execution when trying to play out from the back. 

Have we played brilliantly every match day? Absolutely not. But we've also not been downright putrid either where we look like a side that's never kicked a ball before in a competitive environment, which was often the case last season despite having a squad full of established individuals. 

We're performing as you'd more or less expect a young inexperienced squad would do under virtually any manager. One that has also seen a lot of fresh faces come together for the first time, some to a whole new country and league. On top of that had to deal with a plethora of injuries that's still prevented us from fielding our true best eleven despite being in November. All while still having a couple of key ares of the team that've been problematic still requiring further attention in the market to improve upon. 

Throw in not always getting the rub of the green with respects to decisions and luck also hasn't helped, but that's football and you're going to get that at times. 

We're a side that's going to continue to ebb and flow in the short to medium term until some of these faces get the reps into them that they require. and we're able to hopefully add a bit more quality on top to compliment further. Whether you or others like it or not, that's just how things are going to be with the manner of our approach.

Perfect, he ain't. Our manager is certainly not the root cause of our on pitch circumstances right now.

Everything that goes on on the football pitch is on the manager.

I think people are getting confused with what the managers job actually is.

Regardless of the personnel, who are nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make out, how we play is on the manager. 

We had the exact arguments about Lampard, look what happened when Tuchel took over, then Potter. It's not about individual mistakes or us lacking in certain areas. It has absolutely nothing to do with results it's about performances and how we perform individually and collectively on the football pitch.

I've seen under 8's play better football than we do with more fight and passion.

Tuchel, Postecoglou, Emery, De Zerbi, Howe. Changed the way their teams played. Overnight. That's what good managers do. 

Like I said previously I'm surprised so many struggle with it when we have seen it first hand with Lampard-Tuchel-Potter. One proper manager out of three and the performances were night and day.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Everything that goes on on the football pitch is on the manager.

I think people are getting confused with what the managers job actually is.

Regardless of the personnel, who are nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make out, how we play is on the manager. 

We had the exact arguments about Lampard, look what happened when Tuchel took over, then Potter. It's not about individual mistakes or us lacking in certain areas. It has absolutely nothing to do with results it's about performances and how we perform individually and collectively on the football pitch.

I've seen under 8's play better football than we do with more fight and passion.

Tuchel, Postecoglou, Emery, De Zerbi, Howe. Changed the way their teams played. Overnight. That's what good managers do. 

Like I said previously I'm surprised so many struggle with it when we have seen it first hand with Lampard-Tuchel-Potter. One proper manager out of three and the performances were night and day.

Is it now? If that's the case then I presume you'll never dig a player out again for a poor performance, a missed opportunity, a reckless moment, etc. Since, you know, everything that goes on on the football pitch is on the manager and all.

Last I checked the priority wasn't to play pretty football, particularly not after the disjointed sloppiness of last season that's for sure. It's about being organised, competitive, and developing what we have - all of which we're doing. If we can play some nice football in between, great (and we have had some passages in fairness), but it's not the priority. Our brand of football is also visible, it's not necessarily free-flowing tiki-taka, and may be more pragmatic than what we'd all like to see, but that's also in part been forced because of injuries and the nature of the squad on hand. 

Let's also not forget Tuchel's powers waned towards the back end of his tenure despite having an established group of proven players at this disposal. His football has also been criticised at Bayern since is arrival there, so let's not place him on some sort of pedestal as if he's the holy grail either. And I say that as someone that didn't believe he should've been fired initially. 

• Like 2