Tottenham Hotspur 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

One thing about Jackson - he seems quite good at the dragged first time finishes that come across his body in 2 vs 1 situations.

Although they were easy finishes, you could also imagine some of our previous forwards fluffing them.

He seems less convincing with headers, half chances in the box etc. But he seems a likeable guy and hopefully he can improve!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Proud-Blue said:

On what planet can winning 4-1 away against Tottenham feel like a defeat?!?!

I kind of get what he means. It's the trauma of seeing us drop game after game we should win.
But it's a bit much and if you were in the stadium - it would feel thoroughly like a win.

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

One thing about Jackson - he seems quite good at the dragged first time finishes that come across his body in 2 vs 1 situations.

Although they were easy finishes, you could also imagine some of our previous forwards fluffing them.

He seems less convincing with headers, half chances in the box etc. But he seems a likeable guy and hopefully he can improve!

The last one he almost fluffed by firing 6 inches away from the keeper in an otherwise open goal.
3 goals on a personal xG of 2.5 is not really turning his season around.  

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The sky pundits making some good points. You just don't prepare or ever play against a 9, particularly a 9 who play like that

Yes but you do prepare a lot in 3 vs 2 situations, all the time.
And you do play against a high line in reality and in training a lot.  
It doesn't take a genius to work out that against a 9 man high line you don't bother with stealing the last 1m, you make your runs from 10 yards or more online.  Especially if your runners are Jackson, Sterling and Mudryk.
Plus you have a manager sitting 5m off the touchline shouting instructions.

Poch rubbish,  Posteglue much worse.  Probably one will win Manager of the Month this month (they won't win anything else).

Carragher apparently said that after the 2nd red Spurs went to a back 7,    on the half way line.  Pretty accurate.

7 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I kind of get what he means. It's the trauma of seeing us drop game after game we should win.
But it's a bit much and if you were in the stadium - it would feel thoroughly like a win.

I certainly felt the anxiety  and half expected us to mess it up. But yes Poch has a lot to look at from some moments of the game in the cold light of day.

But for me, we get so few moments like this now. I don't remember the last time we beat a "top" team, and 1-4 away against Spurs is just such a memorable scoreline. I couldn't imagine having it feel like a defeat.

Edited by Proud-Blue
  • Agree 1

Sterling was important today, his making the most of the contact certainly influenced how many Spurs players stayed on the pitch.

Jackson is not a complete striker by any means, I liked the last best as he waltzed around the keeper.

• Agree 1

Love the fact that it was us who have probably ended Spurs’ title dreams.  They are a good team, but with suspensions and a couple of key injuries (VDV and Maddison) they won’t have the staying power over Man City / Liverpool / Arsenal going into a packed December fixture list.

Delicious.

51 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Spurs have the early kick off on Saturday with two suspensions and a few injuries 

25 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

yep, but its against Wolves 😞

And only 3 outfield players played the whole 90!!

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Can anyone explain how Mudryk can consistently play so badly coming off the bench?

I am trying to be positive - happy for Poch and the lads - but Mudryk is so frustrating!!!

Two main reason for me are.

1) He tries too hard to be immediately impactful once he gets the ball and ends up having an adverse effect. This can be a problem for a lot of players when coming off the bench trying to impress.

2) We don't do a great job of maximising his strengths, and when he's coming off the bench the tempo of the match is generally already set. As such he's either overlooked/ignored, or point one arises in the moments he does get possession. 

Granted he probably should've had an assist on that Jackson cutback towards the end.

• Like 1

Just now, xceleryx said:

Two main reason for me are.

1) He tries too hard to be immediately impactful once he gets the ball and ends up having an adverse effect. This can be a problem for a lot of players when coming off the bench trying to impress.

2) We don't do a great job of maximising his strengths, and when he's coming off the bench the tempo of the match is generally already set. As such he's either overlooked/ignored, or point one arises in the moments he does get possession. 

Granted he probably should've had an assist on that Jackson cutback towards the end.

It just feels like he doesn't even really try to run past people. He runs into them and gives the foul away so often.

I wanna just see him boot it down the line and really show off his pace - it feels like he's holding back sometimes.

I actually think his ball striking is better than his close control which needs a bit of work.

Bit of an interesting match and result to process. 

Don't think we played particularly well generally speaking, at the same time getting a win over the Spuds regardless of the manner is a feeling that will never get old. 

I felt we could've used one or two players to really take the game by the scruff of the neck at times, but you look around and there's no real candidates that stand out. That's the negative of having a lack of experience and leadership within the squad. That said we eventually worked it out, even if it wasn't entirely convincing. Hopefully a good learning experience for many that'll have longer term benefits. 

Never going to turn my nose up at a win though, a big 3 points in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1