Tottenham Hotspur 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

Didnt watch the game last night - but saw that Enzo was subbed off in the second half. Injured?

He was on the bench later with a big ice pack on his lower leg and ankle which was where Romero tried to break his leg. So presume swelling was coming up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think the actual last hat trick in any game against 11 men was Tammy A . It was either FA cup or Haribo Cup. Might have been Lamps last game. 

It's funny, the Chelsea website says the last hat trick against Spurs was Eto'o in 2014, which is wrong. His only hat trick for us was against United.

The last away hat trick against them was Flo in 98/99

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Routine save. 

If we're looking at chances then we'd likely have gone on to win 5-2.

Remember the Jackson sitter over the bar at the death.

There was a lot of justifiable criticism DURING the game but we went on to win 4-1 away with other missed chances and three goals disallowed, one of which was an absolute travesty.  

Surely you wait until the game is over to judge whether we took advantage of the opportunity? 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

As much as we have ragged the players for their innate lack of football intelligence they really did get three really good goals where they actually learned on the job what to do so kudos for that. 

And, and this is the big one 

We put four past Spurs away, pissed on their chips saw two of their players sent off and another two crocked which will totally derail their season. 

Got to be a good thing eh? 

It will be good for confidence, even allowing for the Spuds self immolation . 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Unfortunately Pochettino really let himself down. Any other team in the league would have destroyed them playing like that yet we decided to have four players standing offside most of the time.

We looked completely clueless and aimless. We don't know how to play football. All we had to do was be patient and make our runs from deep yet we just stayed really high, so high we were offfside most of the time, even though they were on the half way line at their deepest! Then we just kept hitting hopeful, long balls over the top. It was school boy stuff.

Blame the board, blame the players, blame the manager. What can not be up for debate is, regardless of personnel we need an awful lot of work on the training ground which is my biggest disappointment with Pochettino. I thought if nothing else he would get us well drilled and look like we know what we are doing. It's Potter like and that's about as damming a statement as you could make about any football manager. 

Well said. 

We do not show any real signs of being a well-coached football team or even one that's a few months away from looking like one.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

That's what it has been about for me from day one, especially with such a young, brand new squad. We have to build and see improvement. I'm not seeing it, others are but I think last night was one of the most embarrassing performance's I have ever seen. I mean the Tottenham fans loved every second of it. That should tell you something and if it doesn't they fucking applauded when we went ahead. That really should tell you everything about last night.

Now, things turned out alright result-wise last night - but it was far too close a call for comfort.

It could easily have turned out to be highly embarrassing. 

To beat that suicidal (well playing against better coached and disciplined sides that ours, it would have been 6 or 7) high defensive line isn't as difficult as we made it look.

It's either the players or the coaches and after £1b spent (minus sales of course) and unless we have an epiphany in terms of competence and performance, it's only going to end one way.

Rumours of Enzo trying to do some touchline coaching don't bear well - IF TRUE.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I think where we differ Max is that it's not about results for me and never has been. You say if we hadn't have won you'd have wanted him gone, I assume that is because of the way we performed? The result doesn't change the performance and I struggle how scoring late goals can change your opinion so much.

That's what it has been about for me from day one, especially with such a young, brand new squad. We have to build and see improvement. I'm not seeing it, others are but I think last night was one of the most embarrassing performance's I have ever seen. I mean the Tottenham fans loved every second of it. That should tell you something and if it doesn't they fucking applauded when we went ahead. That really should tell you everything about last night.

Maybe.

But there is a big difference between playing awfully against 9 men for the entire rest of the half, which looked possible at points, versus the 20 minutes we were dreadful up until Jackson scored his first.

The last 20 or so minutes were, from memory, not awful. We may not have played brilliantly but we scored three times and essentially did what we needed to do - break through their high line and score.

I think you overestimate how happy the Spurs fans are. We have nothing to be proud of but I think they are ruing their ill discipline, Postecoglou's suicidal tactics, injuries, and the chance to stay top.

In essence, I probably also come out of last night more worried than not. I agree we were atrocious for large parts of the match. But victories breed confidence and maybe we will improve again from here.

Ultimately I think we are right to question Poch but it's too early to say whether anyone else would do better. If we deteriorate I will definitely shift gears quickly. But I do think he is improving a few players.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Another thing about Cole Palmer. 

Taken 3 penalties, all of them in pressure situations. Take real guts to stand up like that. 

Like him, a lot. If it wasn't already obvious. 

Yeah he also came across really well in the post match interview - a lot of self belief.

He presents a problem though - I have long suspected (since the new owners have come in) that many players (Havertz, Pulisic, Mudryk etc..) have been underperforming because of the unstable squad and all the changes around them.

Others have blamed it more on the players themselves for being pants and having the wrong attitude.

Palmer has come straight in and hit the ground running. Showing his quality, work ethic & footballing intelligence immediately.

Does that just mean all the other players we bought really are crap? Seems that way with Havertz, possibly Mudryk, etc.

Still can't believe we played a team set up like this with 10 men & 9 men and it took the best part of a half to put the game to bed.

Senseless football. Some of the worst decision making and game intelligence you will ever see. Was literally laughing at how bad we are in real time. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

From that photo, it seems that only Cucurella knows what to do.

Look at Mudryk. He's looking right across the line and still stands in an offside position. 😂

I remember Tuchel subbed on Hudson-Odoi into a game against Southampton and then subbed him off because he wasn't playing to instruction. Hudson-Odoi was nowhere near as bad in that game as Mudryk was last night. The standards have never been lower. 

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

Look at Mudryk. He's looking right across the line and still stands in an offside position. 😂

I remember Tuchel subbed on Hudson-Odoi into a game against Southampton and then subbed him off because he wasn't playing to instruction. Hudson-Odoi was nowhere near as bad in that game as Mudryk was last night. The standards have never been lower. 

I did think he was going to get subbed at one point. He really was that bad!

Definitely some promise from him when he has started recently. As a sub into a game, he is dreadful and we end up becoming hugely weaker when he enters into a game, except his debut bizarrely.

He has to only be viewed as a starting option from here on in. 

41 minutes ago, east lower said:

Rumours of Enzo trying to do some touchline coaching don't bear well - IF TRUE.

Rumours I heard were of Enzo calling to Poch to change things from the pitch while he was on.
That sounds fine to me.

Enzo shouting from the touchline though could be anything, perhaps just cheering.

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I did think he was going to get subbed at one point. He really was that bad!

Definitely some promise from him when he has started recently. As a sub into a game, he is dreadful and we end up becoming hugely weaker when he enters into a game, except his debut bizarrely.

He has to only be viewed as a starting option from here on in. 

That debut really fooled me. I thought we had a potential world beater but the reality is we have somebody who is a non-league level talent with pace. 

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

I actually think the problem wasn't our players being pushed high up, it's that we rushed the pass and chose the wrong option so often.

I suppose that one could argue that with so many players actively offside that it gave Spurs a false sense of security which allowed the likes of Cucurella to spring the offside trap with relative ease.  I do think that once we settled down we found a way to punish them and did so quite well but to be honest I truly felt we were going to lose that game at many points throughout . 

The last coach of Spurs who was that Gung-ho was Ozzie Ardiles , how did that work out for them? 

• Agree 1

Only caught some limited highlights so can’t comment on the overall pattern of the game. But was struck by how many chances we created and that Jackson did well to get himself into scoring positions and took his goals well. They look easy chances but you’ve still got to keep your composure so credit to him considering the pressure he’s been under. There was one awful miss at the end where he skied it from inside the box, but thankfully it didn’t matter by then. Hopefully, he’ll take confidence from the goals.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I suppose that one could argue that with so many players actively offside that it gave Spurs a false sense of security which allowed the likes of Cucurella to spring the offside trap with relative ease.  I do think that once we settled down we found a way to punish them and did so quite well but to be honest I truly felt we were going to lose that game at many points throughout . 

1 striker off side - absolutely.  2 unnecessary. 3??  4???
There should have been 3 players making runs all the time.

If any of those 4 had been offside because they had made a run and no ball arrived - fine - but if I recall James was taking a free kick at that point.  There were very very few sprints from our players without seeing the ball being played first.  
If you are 2 players up, then gambling with a sprint forward isn't even a gamble.

1 minute ago, Original 21 said:

Only caught some limited highlights so can’t comment on the overall pattern of the game. But was struck by how many chances we created and that Jackson did well to get himself into scoring positions and took his goals well

It looked a lot different for 90 mins.  Most of the attacking chances came v late on when Spurs had given up on chasing back (they must have been shattered, especially the subs that came on early).
First half we created almost nothing except the penalty chance/offside goal

image.thumb.png.0012de7abce26860f776e2784f892f4b.png

24 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I actually think the problem wasn't our players being pushed high up, it's that we rushed the pass and chose the wrong option so often.

Look at that picture again Max, it might not have been the only problem but it was a problem and a big one.

We constantly had 3 or 4 players offside and there was no need for it. Imagine playing a team with 9 men who play that high and have players constantly offside, makes it very difficult for players to time a pass. It honestly should have been a cricket score they way Tottenham played. 

Players fault or managers it doesn't really matter, the fact that it happened and happend a lot is a major problem for Pochettino .He's either clueless or has absolutely no authority and they don't listen to a word he says. Either way he's in trouble.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It's funny, the Chelsea website says the last hat trick against Spurs was Eto'o in 2014, which is wrong. His only hat trick for us was against United.

The last away hat trick against them was Flo in 98/99

I’m sure I remember a Tammy hat trick . Was it West Ham ?