Tottenham Hotspur 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

FFS..4-1....late goals after wearing down 9 men...how often does the side with an extra player (or two!) leave it late to kill the game?..... 

All comments taken but watching the moment when the Spurs keeper and a defender,,not sure who,,,somehow got the ball on the roof of the net celebrate so pumped up about a clearance summed up the almoste drugged up approach by Spurs...I think an obvious tactic to intimidate a young and inexperienced side...only Colwill really "bit".

Again finger up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Look at Mudryk. He's looking right across the line and still stands in an offside position. 😂

I remember Tuchel subbed on Hudson-Odoi into a game against Southampton and then subbed him off because he wasn't playing to instruction. Hudson-Odoi was nowhere near as bad in that game as Mudryk was last night. The standards have never been lower. 

Absolutely shocking he was last night. I think he’s going to have to go. 

So the next 5 games will tell us a lot more about Tottenham. Saturday they go to Wolves for the early kick off who beat City and drew with Newcastle and Villa recently so no pushover, especially after last night along with the injuries and suspensions.

They've played and beaten 5 of the bottom 6 and 7 of their 11 games have been against teams in the bottom half.

Wolves (a)

Villa (h)

City (a)

West Ham (h)

Newcastle (h)

12 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I’m sure I remember a Tammy hat trick . Was it West Ham ? 

I meant solely against Spurs. 

Edit, I think Tammy got a hat trick at home to a lower league side in the FA Cup

Edited by paulw66

16 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

1 striker off side - absolutely.  2 unnecessary. 3??  4???
There should have been 3 players making runs all the time.

If any of those 4 had been offside because they had made a run and no ball arrived - fine - but if I recall James was taking a free kick at that point.  There were very very few sprints from our players without seeing the ball being played first.  
If you are 2 players up, then gambling with a sprint forward isn't even a gamble.

I agree in essence with this but look at it another way , we find the one player that beats the offside and instantly we have another four players goal side with the jump on Spurs and all the ball carrier has to do is pass it backwards to any of them and they're all onside. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So the next 5 games will tell us a lot more about Tottenham. Saturday they go to Wolves for the early kick off who beat City and drew with Newcastle and Villa recently so no pushover, especially after last night along with the injuries and suspensions.

They've played and beaten 5 of the bottom 6 and 7 of their 11 games have been against teams in the bottom half.

Wolves (a)

Villa (h)

City (a)

West Ham (h)

Newcastle (h)

You expect that the defender misses all those, possibly Maddison too, whilst Romero misses the first 3. 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I agree in essence with this but look at it another way , we find the one player that beats the offside and instantly we have another four players goal side with the jump on Spurs and all the ball carrier has to do is pass it backwards to any of them and they're all onside. 

That's the nonsense of the modern day offside rule.  We could, and possibly should have left Jackson halfway into their half, then had runners wide. He'd then be in acres for any cut backs, which is effectively what happened for goals 2 and 3 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Which would have been very clever but its not what we did.

32 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Look at that picture again Max, it might not have been the only problem but it was a problem and a big one.

We constantly had 3 or 4 players offside and there was no need for it. Imagine playing a team with 9 men who play that high and have players constantly offside, makes it very difficult for players to time a pass. It honestly should have been a cricket score they way Tottenham played. 

Players fault or managers it doesn't really matter, the fact that it happened and happend a lot is a major problem for Pochettino .He's either clueless or has absolutely no authority and they don't listen to a word he says. Either way he's in trouble.

I think you and others are misreading / misrepresenting the photo, Martin.
There is analysis on Spurs high line and this photo in the Youtube video below (timestamp included).

Okay our attackers may have all been offside for a moment, but they tried to jump back onside to then run in behind.

The real issues for our poor second half were not because of standing offside, but the following:

1) Misplaced passes
2) Rushing the buildup
3) Giving silly fouls away

At the same time, Jackson is an example who has been guilty of being offside too much on other occasions. I just think our issues in the second half came down to really sloppy play rather than our attackers being badly positioned.

Essentially this photo highlights a Spurs issue rather than a Chelsea issue.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

So who was making the runs?  Cucurella the time in the picture.  Gallagher for the 3rd goal (by which time standing offside was pointless because the spurs players weren't even  jogging back towards their own goal. Mudryk a few times when he came on, but he soon joined the front 4 line (goal hangers really).

Again if a player runs early and just stays there I don't mind, but I don't think Jackson went on an early run all game (odd because that determination to get behind is his strength).  

Again they should watch Rugby Union and how getting back behind the ball (which is the off-side line in Rugby) so that you can influence the game by bursting forward is what it is all about.

10 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

So who was making the runs?  Cucurella the time in the picture.  Gallagher for the 3rd goal (by which time standing offside was pointless because the spurs players weren't even  jogging back towards their own goal. Mudryk a few times when he came on, but he soon joined the front 4 line (goal hangers really).

Again if a player runs early and just stays there I don't mind, but I don't think Jackson went on an early run all game (odd because that determination to get behind is his strength).  

Again they should watch Rugby Union and how getting back behind the ball (which is the off-side line in Rugby) so that you can influence the game by bursting forward is what it is all about.

The fact that our forwards were so high made it difficult to spot Cucurella's run.

Defenders were busy occupied by the high forwards and if they had made similar runs to Cucurella, would have been easy to spot.

• Agree 2

All the flack is being heaped on our forwards and midfielders but Colwill was as guilty as anyone for poor play last night. If he did the number one very basic rule of defending by putting your body between the ball and the goal then they don't go one up! I remember getting a right bollocking from our coach for doing exactly what Colwill did last night. Difference being that I was about 14 years old at the time. I can imagine JT spitting feathers watching that  last night.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think you and others are misreading / misrepresenting the photo, Martin.
There is analysis on Spurs high line and this photo in the Youtube video below (timestamp included).

Okay our attackers may have all been offside for a moment, but they tried to jump back onside to then run in behind.

It happened constantly, even in the first half. The players weren't trying to jump back onside, they were just aimlessly wondering around offside, when we had the ball, countless times. 

The craziest thing is that they were so high we didn't even need to be in their half, all they needed to do was stay on the half way line, if that was the idea but even then it was stupid. You don't beat a high line by staying high yourself, you beat it by dropping off and running from deep, ironically that photo is one of the few times we, Cucurella, did that.

Against 9 men playing a suicidally high line all you have to do is be patient, keep the ball, move it across the pitch not only creating space but also tiring them out. At times it was us that looked like a team with less players, we couldn't handle their press even with two extra bodies.

From Goalkeeper to Striker and all the way through we are truly woeful with the ball. Look at Tottenham's first goal, how many times have we had a passage of play like that this season? We are so slow and ponderous in possession and are so easy to play against. 

And the saddest thing is I really believe man for man we have the better players than they do, appreciate that's a matter of opinion but either way there's not much in it. They also have a very young squad with lots of new players and a new manager yet it took them no time at all to implement a completely different way of playing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A still photo can be misleading. 

From looking at our strikers making multiple runs and then seeing a fairly obvious ball to them ignored must get frustrating. Same thing happened last night good runs being made and the player with the ball pondering which ‘safe’ sideways pass to make.

Must be as frustrating as **** for the forwards/runners.

6 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Just watched the game over and I have to say we were not good. It's three points but it leaves us with more questions than when we kicked off.

We are appalling at defending set pieces.

We are appalling at choosing the right option when attacking (yes Mr Sterling, I'm talking to you)

All cohesion seems to go out of the window if a team comes on to us and we have no imagination to score past a determined defense

Midfield lacks creativity and the defense is unable to develop any sort of solidity as it is continually being rotated.

I think we could see ourselves moving forward though if we were just able to find a mature striker and an imaginative midfielder sooner rather than later.

Hopefully there will be plenty for the training reel at Cobham after that game. It really just comes down to whether the players are intelligent enough to take it in.

I haven't seen the match. I only had it on CFC radio.

But reading your review of our team and players, tells me how truly bad our opponents were. Yes, they went down to 9 men, but none the less. They really were sh** 😁

Edited by asvaberg

3 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I did think he was going to get subbed at one point. He really was that bad!

Definitely some promise from him when he has started recently. As a sub into a game, he is dreadful and we end up becoming hugely weaker when he enters into a game, except his debut bizarrely.

He has to only be viewed as a starting option from here on in. 

Conversely, recently we have looked far worse after Mudryk left the field but people on here have very short memories.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

That debut really fooled me. I thought we had a potential world beater but the reality is we have somebody who is a non-league level talent with pace. 

Your usual negative exaggeration.

He's not. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

Conversely, recently we have looked far worse after Mudryk left the field but people on here have very short memories.

The point is though Ham, many Chelsea fans including me have been warming to Mudryk as he has made some improvements in recent weeks. Yesterday was back to square one.

I find it hard to believe he can't play off the bench - we will need him to at times.

I think people on here are exaggerating how bad many things were yesterday but not Mudryk. He was absolutely awful. 

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Against 9 men playing a suicidally high line all you have to do is be patient, keep the ball, move it across the pitch not only creating space but also tiring them out. At times it was us that looked like a team with less players, we couldn't handle their press even with two extra bodies.

The irony is we are unlikely to play against a similar defence all season, yet I agree familiar failings remain. 

I do see patterns of play when we are confident, but I feel we lose confidence in matches when the going gets tough. I thought the second half of the first half yesterday we were really good - obviously that's not enough to make up for the rest.

I now believe these players largely aren't bad but need a few more experienced bodies around them. Until Poch gets that - hopefully in January, with Nkunku returning, I am willing to hold fire on casting too much judgement. 

I just don't know if any available coach would be getting more out of these players right now.

Again, I agree we need to see more from Poch - we've not been good enough under him so far, but he is managing the youngest squad with the highest turnover of new players and injuries in the league.

I always said injuries were no excuse for not winning, but we did win yesterday after all.

The most unconvincing 4-1 win ever, but as they say, never mind the quality, feel the points!  Jackson doesn't half drive me up the wall, he's Andy Cole Mark 2, for needing 12 chances to score.  I've also never liked the high line either, one good pass and you're exposed.  

Edited by blueandproud