JaneB

Matchday prediction  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/23 at 14:30

4 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Absolutely.

Cherry picking at its finest after one of the best performances, in my humble opinion, we have seen in years.

Really. 
you need to be consistent with your opinions and keep putting £3.80 in the jar every game. 

I've watched highlights now, having only seen everything in real time from the ground before. The first goal really hammers home to me the pointlessness of VAR as stands. I don't think the decision to award the penalty is that bad, but I also think a hypothetical VAR would have overruled the hypothetical goal Haaland scored had he won the tussle once three minutes of slow motion found a still frame of Haaland tugging Cucurella. And I don't think the ref would have blown or VAR intervened at all if Haaland won the tussle, connected with ball, and missed the target. It is an issue of reviewing footage with the specific intention to find something to see. Here, VAR was specifically looking for a foul on Haaland. In the hypothetical situation, it would have specifically been looking for one by him. Using video footage to re-referee does not produce better decisions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of all the points you make, this one is the most bizarre.

We were playing the best team in the Country, possibly in Europe.  

Why is it bizzare, it’s factual. We are no further down the line than when we played the dippers because all the teams around us keep picking up the same or more points. 

the league doesn’t lie and we are exactly where we should be with this squad.

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Why is it bizzare, it’s factual. We are no further down the line than when we played the dippers because all the teams around us keep picking up the same or more points. 

Man Utd are 6th……that tells me the league can most definitely lie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Out of curiosity, what did you take from yesterday's performance? Has it changed your assessment of the team in its current state / progress to date? Not having a go, genuinely curious how you remain so despondent after such a game (maybe I will too, once the emotions die down more!)

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Will we get an apology? I doubt it. 

Chelsea versus Manchester City referee Anthony Taylor was 'STITCHED UP' by his VAR, says former refs chief Keith Hackett 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12742885/Chelsea-Man-City-referee-Anthony-Taylor-STITCHED-VAR-says-former-refs-chief-Keith-Hackett-gives-verdict-Erling-Haalands-penalty-shout.html

'The VAR absolutely should have told Taylor that he needed a second look at what happened.

Haha. The TV pictures showed Taylor didn't even get a first look.

WhatsAppImage2023-11-12at17_30.34_305eb1b5.thumb.jpg.276b09e849c59ab28f7afd74e65c919c.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

4 points from those 2 games............<snatch>

Funny thing is, there was a real wave of negativity before the last two games, but the last 8 games (all comps) now read like this:

WWWDLWWD

And the two draws against Arsenal and City.

Stretching a point desperately  🙂
You missed Forest or Villa and while Spurs might feel like home, it isn't:  DWWLLWDLWD over 10 games
The 4 wins in 10 games have been against:

Luton                                           (18th)
AFC Wimbledon                    (9th)
Brighton                                      (8th but with a weakened team because they are in Europe)
Blackburn                                   (12th)

So in fact the ONLY PL game we have won in 7 at home has been against Luton all season.

46 minutes ago, ROTG said:

And moved up 2 places to 10th. 

🙂 quite

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The Liverpool game is a good reference, the issue is not the ability of the players but the ability to take points of mid-table teams.  Another draw with a top 4 team is no change.
We can only get 8 points a season by drawing with top 4 clubs.  Time was when we could only get 6.  16 seasons out of 19 under RA.
12th last year was our worst PL performance since, well before the Prem.

1 minute ago, Backbiter said:

Haha. The TV pictures showed Taylor didn't even get a first look.

But they show that the linesman had a fantastic view.

32 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He should have tried actually looking then.

My view on this is it was a bit of 50/50 but Haaland was a lot stronger.  After Haaland steps away it becomes 100%/0% and Cucurella has to let go or it is a pen.  He didn't.  He might have got away with it if the lino hadn't called it, but VAR wasn't going to change that decision either way.    Umpire's call as they say in cricket.

I have no idea why anyone thinks refs are against us in the last 3 or 4 seasons,  They have been as random as ever, but less biased than normal.
2005 through to 2015 they were extremely biased against us.  That changed when we were crap (well 13 players and no bench) in 15/16 and has lasted pretty much ever since.

Loads of random decisions went our way on Sunday.  They do every week.  
Cole Palmer, 6 PL starts, 4 penalties.  I would advise keeping the ref bias comments to this website only.

10 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

My view on this is it was a bit of 50/50 but Haaland was a lot stronger.  After Haaland steps away it becomes 100%/0% and Cucurella has to let go or it is a pen.  He didn't.  He might have got away with it if the lino hadn't called it, but VAR wasn't going to change that decision either way.    Umpire's call as they say in cricket.

I have no idea why anyone thinks refs are against us in the last 3 or 4 seasons,  They have been as random as ever, but less biased than normal.
2005 through to 2015 they were extremely biased against us.  That changed when we were crap (well 13 players and no bench) in 15/16 and has lasted pretty much ever since.

Loads of random decisions went our way on Sunday.  They do every week.  
Cole Palmer, 6 PL starts, 4 penalties.  I would advise keeping the ref bias comments to this website only.

Heres a few of his "gratest" shits

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Heres a few of his "gratest" shits

So if its a Taylor thing I get that.  And back in Mourinho's day (up to the Clatt reffing shame) they were certainly strongly against Chelsea.
But I just see so many decisions go our way nowadays.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

and which of those penalties shouldn't have been?

The ones in 2015 and before wouldn't have been.  We got 4 pens a season back then.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I don't wanna see this from Poch every game, but sometimes? Yes please.

And he apologized after! We need this kind of fire from Poch to transmit to the players.

At last. That’s what I want the whole team to be like - pick your battles but don’t take any shit off anyone. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

A tangent to what is being discussed, but I'd imagine everyone gets more penalties now than they did pre-VAR.

I'd have thought a lot more, but playing around with the year on this
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/1?saison_id=2002
and it looks like perhaps 20-30% more.

But when you are being shafted you get less than other teams despite spending more time in the oppo box and scoring a lot more goals and playing Robben or Hazard.
Chelsea 2005-16*.
Not now.

14/15 we got the 6=th most penalties, 5.  Equal with 3 others.
This year we are second to Arsenal with 5 already.

*Not so much under CA.

16 hours ago, ROTG said:

Once all the hysteria dies down. 

One has to ask was it a point gained or two points dropped?

At this point in time I think it's best to look a bit deeper than  the cold stats of points and position in the table.

Question should be about wether or not there signs of progress with performances from the team as a whole and individual players. The answer to that must surely be yes there is.

Palmer is looking like a very good signing. Gallagher has improved hugely and imho is now our best player. Cucu has improved. Jackson is obviously incredibly raw and inexperienced but he is scoring. Sanchez is an upgrade on Kepa. Sterling is having a good season. The team looks fitter and they've come back from difficult starts against Spurs and City. In previous years we've been embarrassed by the likes of City and Arsenal but this year we've given them real games and could quite easily have won both games. 

A long way to go for sure, but only a Scrooge would deny there isn't signs of progress and optimism for the future.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A few takeaways from yesterday’s match - Stirling was immense, absolutely so and for someone as ordinary a player and manager as  Southgate to ignore him whilst picking players who can’t get games for their club sides is staggering. 

Palmer is looking like THE buy of the lot. I was underwhelmed at the time but the fella is a player, bit one-legged but what a leg. That mazy he went on in the second half was Hazard like. Has balls the size of coal-sacks too.

Gallagher gets better and is beginning to outshine his 2 x £100m colleagues.

Once again it surprises me how few times Haaland actually touches the ball, but by-Jesus when he does it has an effect - monster of a player.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2