JaneB

Matchday prediction  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Newcastle win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/11/23 at 20:45

15 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I don't think many other managers would be getting much more out of the squad TBH!

There comes a point when the manager looks like he is just another passenger in a team that is failing.Poch has reached that point imo and it gives me no pleasure in saying it!.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I'm talking about what we have NOW and what a coach can do with what he has got.Poch is making no difference to a team that has been struggling for a long time.

What do we do - spend another fortune on players or give a new manager a chance?.The cheapest and sensible  thing to do is get rid of the manager.

Poch target should be 56pts because the team he has is about the same level as his Southampton team  in 13/14. 

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Poch target should be 56pts because the team he has is about the same level as his Southampton team  in 13/14. 

Poch's target is to make the players he has to perform to the best of their ability.The pts will look after themselves.

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not his greatest fan, however he is not far off the mark with his analysis. 

Not watchable - for a start this was far from our worst game and first half was one of out better halfs of the season.
Too many non sequitors to follow without wanting to smash the screen.

7 hours ago, Ham said:

We have the funniest fanbase.

Entirely happy with the ownership, squad and management one week, sell the club, replace half the team and sack the coach the next. 

I think you are one of perhaps 2 people who were happy 2 weeks ago.  Most saw the City game as one of those freak results in a season.  
I think the funniest thing abot the fanbase is that a few have pretended to be happy at all.

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Labouring to a win over 9 men certainly did nothing to change my view of these owners and our prospects under them. They've done us in as a top club. 

Yes, the Spurs game was more disturbing than yesterday when we did at least have a good first half against the first 45 mins of a team that was expected to tire.

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

You are spot on. 
The real world is who would now offer over £100m for the likes of Fernandez? 

I think you will be surprised.  He was actually the star of the first half.  He almost always plays 2 touch football, yet yesterday was mostly 1-touch (sadly no touch in H2 like most of the others).

James, Badashile, Colwill, Fernandez, Caicedo, Sterling, they will all require a big fee or massive wages to acquire and I suspect are in strong demand right now.   While Gallagher is the Nicky Butt that Fergie talked about - the player that most inquired about by oppo managers.

50 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Supposedly Poch had very little say in recruitment so far and will have more moving forward.

That is certainly what I would say if I were Poch or the board.  Nobody wants him to take the blame for both players and coaching.

39 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We're not worse than last season Kev. Heading in the right direction, perhaps too slowly.

Worse than Potter.  Better than under Lampard sure, but hey, last time we replaced Lampard we won the CL in 6 months.

34 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

We're no different from any other club if you ask me. When HM Govt decided to screw us over everyone here was saying that we would need 5 years or so to recover, that it was the opportunity to enact the root and branch makeover the squad had needed for five years. When the clearout was done and we saw its effect in an even more inconsistent result on the pitch I reckon we lasted about three games before some were calling for Boehly's head on a stick.

Overall I tend to avoid getting too hyped by the occasional good performance now as I know that eventually we will revert to type. Ten years ago it was idiotic to throw your toys out of the pram after a poor performance as we were a club where "type" was top 4 and reverting to it was inevitable. We are no longer that club and we have to accept our mediocrity.

5 years or a billion quid is what was needed and we got one of them.
I agree, and yes, yesterday was not a surprise.

After our last two performances I was cautiously optimistic we've turned the corner.  I was right to be cautious. Because yesterday set back the clock big time.

Defensive chaos, attacking problems, poor game management, second half absence, poor player qualities - everything was back on the table.

For Newcastle first goal, Isak was the only obvious target. Our central defender and FB both  managed to leave him unmarked a few yards from goal. Moments later, our far post guest room opened up again. Quite how Joelinton missed that is a mystery.

Second half we came out with no plan whatsoever.  Newcastle had theirs. They had noticed we were taking too many extra touches on the ball, and they targeted those touches while eliminating theirs. You could see the second half influence of their coaches.

We need to replace Nicolas Jackson urgently. The guy is not a striker.  He has no idea what to do with the ball if he can't see an empty net.

I'm not convinced we've got the manager we need. I don't see any steady sign of progress. We are where we were at the start of the season in terms of organisation. Too many simple mistakes are being repeated. The manager blaming the players is not good enough. 

Look naysayers, I know you all enjoy piling on, but we have a very clear next few weeks to look at. Nkunku is coming back, we have an easier run of fixtures. If we get results like we did at the start of the season, Poch could be in trouble. I see us picking up a few good wins soon.

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

I watched Poch's interview after the game....he really is a puppy dog.

I wanted him as the manager before he was appointed but now I can't wait to see the back of him.

Pretty much where I am .

All the things I thought he would bring he hasn't , we're Spursy without any of the attacking flair or nasty edge , soft , easy to score against and tactically naive.

Does anyone seriously think another manager would be getting more of a tune out of our forward line? Sterling, Palmer, Jackson, Nkunku, Broja, Mudryk, and Madueke.

That's just nowhere near good enough to be consistently challenging at the top of the league.

Aside from Sterling, Nkunku and Palmer, Newcastle have at least five players now better than the rest of our forward line (Isak, Wilson, Almiron, Gordon and Barnes).

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

I see what your saying.Some would say if Sterling was having to track back he wouldn't be the same goal threat.

In all honesty I didn't see Cucurella over run  - his positional sense is atrocious - he was ball watching all game and was sucked into a central position and leaving players out wide that if Newcastle exploited it could have been a heavier defeat.

He is another player that is a squad player at best.Watch him next game(if you're interested)he is like Celestine Babayaro - he goes AWOL from the area of the pitch that he is supposed to cover.

It is Poch's job to see it.It is also Poch's job to see Les was not involved in any way from the beginning.His time is up I'm afraid.Today was the last straw for Poch.

Yes, he has no positional sense unfortunately. Not sure if that is something he could be coached on.

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Loads of apologies from the players on social media which I give as much credence to as this:f7d4e0276b68ab026935edb81d69cfceabaeb940c2ead2bf803bf159796fbc56.jpg.3b8330d9e1fc1fd39d14fc2997accb23.jpg

Not interested in apologies, I’m more interested in them putting their efforts to bear on the pitch. 

I listened to some of the game on the radio and there were multiple references to the front four not working hard enough, either without or with the ball. 

Basic stuff, that should be a ‘given’. If you don’t do what Guardiola or Klopp wants you to do, you’re out on your ear. Backed by the club. 

Not that our manager has attempted that, except for perhaps Madueke (an easy target), do we think if he did so with a James, Enzo that he’d get the same backing?

Almost a season and a half with these owners and no sign of improvement, they’ll soon have burned through 3 managers. 

I see continued problems in terms of progression and us falling well behind the current top teams as well as the positively developing ones. Best we can hope for under this lot, with their current mentality is mid-table.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Moments later, our far post guest room opened up again. Quite how Joelinton missed that is a mystery.

🙂  

26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:
29 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I watched Poch's interview after the game....he really is a puppy dog.

I wanted him as the manager before he was appointed but now I can't wait to see the back of him.

Pretty much where I am .

All the things I thought he would bring he hasn't , we're Spursy without any of the attacking flair or nasty edge , soft , easy to score against and tactically naive.

Clearly Poch isn't the manager we need right now.  And I think we all know he was lucky to get the PSG job, no surprise it took him a year to find another.  And I think we can all guess that a lot of other candidates turned it down first.

Is there a manager out there that could turn it down - I doubt it.
Is there one that would take the job - certainly not (well not without a 7 years contract...)

We are stuck with Poch

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Does anyone seriously think another manager would be getting more of a tune out of our forward line? Sterling, Palmer, Jackson, Nkunku, Broja, Mudryk, and Madueke.

That's just nowhere near good enough to be consistently challenging at the top of the league.

Aside from Sterling, Nkunku and Palmer, Newcastle have at least five players now better than the rest of our forward line (Isak, Wilson, Almiron, Gordon and Barnes).

I think all but Madueke would be a huge success under a different manager at a different club.

One with a tradition of fighting, perhaps some recent success, with continuation, tradition, loyalty, a culture, and a semi-competent board.
I also think that there is a) a big demand for our current players from other clubs, and b) a greater demand from out current players to get out.

Going to Cobham is like a Job Club or a Colditz escape committee.  They meet up to exchange plans for getting out.  

5 minutes ago, east lower said:

Not interested in apologies, I’m more interested in them putting their efforts to bear on the pitch. 

I listened to some of the game on the radio and there were multiple references to the front four not working hard enough, either without or with the ball. 

Basic stuff, that should be a ‘given’. If you don’t do what Guardiola or Klopp wants you to do, you’re out on your ear. Backed by the club. 

Not that our manager has attempted that, except for perhaps Madueke (an easy target), do we think if he did so with a James, Enzo that he’d get the same backing?

Almost a season and a half with these owners and no sign of improvement, they’ll soon have burned through 3 managers. 

I see continued problems in terms of progression and us falling well behind the current top teams as well as the positively developing ones. Best we can hope for under this lot, with their current mentality is mid-table.

Madueke doesn't get a fair crack of the whip because he left Spurs as Pochettino wasn't giving him a chance there either.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Also , just to point out the midfielder who bossed our midfield all day yesterday is seventeen and was playing his first game of the season . Top work .

2nd start (home debut) after playing 2 weeks ago.  
And a remarkable thing is that their bench was so inexperienced that Howe kept the 17 yo on the pitch until the 93rd minute!!!
3 off the bench had never played for Newcastle before, one had just 2 sub appearances to his name, two old-timers had if I recall just 2 sub appearances this season, and the other 3 were keepers.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Madueke doesn't get a fair crack of the whip because he left Spurs as Pochettino wasn't giving him a chance there either.

and he just runs into corners all the time.  He didn't impress me under Potter of Lampard either.

At Spurs he left aged 16.  I'd be very surprised if Pochetinio and he know how to pronounce each others name.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally I think he looks like Bambi on ice, but for the coach to make him 'pay' for a misdemeanor and let others who may be more significant signings and players away with poor form, poor effort or lack of discipline reeks of cowardice - And both you and I have commented on thus previously as regards this coach.

He's done, just a matter of weeks or the odd month now. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Loads of apologies from the players on social media which I give as much credence to as this:f7d4e0276b68ab026935edb81d69cfceabaeb940c2ead2bf803bf159796fbc56.jpg.3b8330d9e1fc1fd39d14fc2997accb23.jpg

Agreed. They don’t even write them I bet. Makes you want to throw up. They couldn’t give a fuck to be honest. Sorry for my language - I don’t like swearing - but this “team” brings it out of me.

• Agree 1