32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Brighton win

• JaneB changed the title to Chelsea 3 Brighton & Hove Albion 2
4 minutes ago, Bison said:

This is excellent analysis.

He doesn't even understand the basics of wing play, how to create separation to receive the ball and isolate his defender 1v1. All that pace and he is so utterly clueless how to use it.

Not for me.  All that pace and people keep passing it to his feet.  Look at the penalty, he got it to feet instead of 2m in front of him.  He had to stop and start again.  Fortunately Milner rescued the situation for us.  His presence meant Mudryk had to push it forward  and the keeper was always likely to grab the ball.  No need for any contact.
I realise that Jackson had a difficult task to pass with the right one-touch while falling over backwards, but it shows just how the rest of the team has to be switched to what Mudryk is.

With touch you can make the crucial decisions.  With pace it is the passer who makes the decisions.

35 minutes ago, Bison said:

This is excellent analysis.

He doesn't even understand the basics of wing play, how to create separation to receive the ball and isolate his defender 1v1. All that pace and he is so utterly clueless how to use it.

You don't derive ANY joy from being a Chelsea fan, do you?

Enjoy the win 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Not for me.  All that pace and people keep passing it to his feet.  Look at the penalty, he got it to feet instead of 2m in front of him.  He had to stop and start again.  Fortunately Milner rescued the situation for us.  His presence meant Mudryk had to push it forward  and the keeper was always likely to grab the ball.  No need for any contact.
I realise that Jackson had a difficult task to pass with the right one-touch while falling over backwards, but it shows just how the rest of the team has to be switched to what Mudryk is.

With touch you can make the crucial decisions.  With pace it is the passer who makes the decisions.

Yeah. That was a poor pass, and although I think Mudryk is crap, he did well to dig it out and bear down on goal. 

So another random Chelsea performance. Saw us go 2 up then had to go to a family do. Feeling pretty relaxed only to check back at half time to see we were down to ten men and it was 2-1. We really don’t make it easy for ourselves, do we? Just glad we hung on in the end. 

Really, considering we had a week to prepare and Brighton had a midweek game and fielded their second team, this should’ve been a comfortable win. Grateful for the three points, but from reading the comments here, it sounds like we could easily have blown it.

Don’t think anything is going to change until we sort out the forward line anyway, so mid table feels about right for this squad. 

Only go once or twice a season usually and today was one of those days.  Was definitely eventful! 

Haven’t seen it back on TV and sometimes you get a different feeling in the stadium, but I thought we did really well to hold with 10 men in that second half.    Ref had a howler of a game and these 100+ minute games are becoming bit of a joke too.

Stand-outs for me were Silva who was brilliant, Badiashille who oozes composure, Caicedo who did really well to mix it on a yellow whilst being overrun in midfield and Sterling who was a constant menace.  Mudryk needs to watch videos of how he makes himself available for a pass. 

Disasi, Enzo and Sanchez were also good. 

Since the defeat to Villa, we’ve played 10 games in all comps, won 6 and drawn 2 (Arsenal and City).   Our losses were Brentford and Newcastle.  Don’t know about anyone else, but it feels much worse than that?! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Tbf even JT himself did this now and then. 

Hmm..difference is/was when JT went off he was still Captain in every way...love Conor's application but not a real Leader in a "control" of the side..any more than Reece is...not bashing them but ......

• Agree 2

Ok...watched recording..impressions after reflection...in the way yellow cards are used now,,,as opposed to the "Old Fashion" bookings....Conor's second was a yellow...first impression was wtf but a better angle from behind and I think the ref's view was a clear foul and only got the ball after taking out Billy...the "Old Pro" penalty was exactly that,,,bang on penalty.....my issue with yellow cards and the two card/red is that a foul by Conor and  the penalty were both fk/pen occasions but in neither case was there malicious intent...not just at Chelsea players but week in week out the ref's wave a yellow for mouthy behaviour..petulent ball kicking.."ordinary" fouls that really only warrant a fk but have the same impact as the really vicious fouls we have seen that SHOULD be punished. but often get ignored or a yellow when in fact a red IS the right call...cowardness regarding giving a red by giving a yellow..Jackson on how many for being silly?

Sin bin is a silly idea ..how about some common sense?

The head/hand ball penalty..ludicrous..I believe I saw the lino pointing at the corner with his flag having had a clear view of the incident... to think Chelsea might have conceded a goal from that is mind boggling...we can all argue the rights and wrongs of any penalty but that was beyond belief.

Lot of poor Brighton,,tired and injuries....as if Chelsea have a full squad to choose from!

Three points fought for and won...hard to ask for more..and aside..Sanchez is not a favourite of mine but he did a good solid job actually stopping shots ..gulp.... the silly missed loose ball was never going to go in ... give him stick when due but please some credit occasionally.

• Like 1

Will take that just nicely. 

Again, not an attractive performance on the eyes and there's still much to improve upon, but we took those half chances that popped up and that was largely the difference. If we did more of that this season we'd sit a bit higher up the table. 

Our discipline is a concern and really highlights the lack of leadership, maturity and experience within the side. More senior heads would navigate around it a lot better, but I suppose that's part and parcel of having a considerably young side that lacks in some of those key components. 

Overall and important three points, as they all tend to be these days. 

A big one against United next.

After seeing extended highlights my thoughts were we limited them to few clear chances after going down to ten men, scored a good third on the breakaway after quick thinking by Sanchez (didn’t see anything wrong with the penalty award, Milner’s feet deliberately clattered into Mudryk, so well spotted by VAR). We switched off again at a set play for their second so that continues to be a problem. Gallagher’s second yellow was harsh but he shouldn’t have risked it. Couldn’t judge individual performances but Enzo and Colwill scoring was very welcome. Not sure what caused things to kick off at the final whistle. Colwill was in the thick of things. Players seemed very chuffed with the result which, under the circumstances, was well deserved. 

Edited by Original 21

Mudryk is getting a lot of stick that should be levelled at the coaching staff.He is a player that thrives on space.

It could be that he is ignoring instructions.Just tell him to stay out wide.He could give the full back 10 yards and still beat him to the ball - that is a massive advantage.

Either he is incredibly  thick or he is not coached properly.

Edited by kev61
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Do you think the next team we play will have worked out that the corner plan is far post to Badashile no matter what his starting position is?  It's be nice to see some variety, but still repeating what has recently worked is better than normal.
And a very nice overhead cross by Bada.

I've only seen highlights and that included 4 mins of VAR and slow motion repeates just for the pen to be taken.  So I'm not expecting a lot more action.

Winning with 10 men for H2 at least feels good.  That should help settle the players a bit.

Not much bothered about Man U next.  Everton, Sheff U, Wolves, Palace, Luton, Fulham that is 6 wins I want to see in our next 7 games.   Those 6 are all below us in the table.   At our level these are the key games to gain 3 points from.

IMO very ordinary game supported by most Jurno's giving both sets of  players and average of 6

Poch and 4 CB was new one and ultimately paid dividends, and was probably the only highlight of 5 days training at cobham, There are still far to many headless chicken who are really not going anywhere in this league. Also the continual chopping and changing of the playing staff would seem to indicate that Poch has decided this season is really a pre-season for further evaluation of players before his big back me or sack me summer threat to TBSD "very Tottenham esq".

Continual VAR & Referee bashing by some on here is so far fetched it is embarrassing as everything levels itself out over a season. 9/10 matches Caicedio would have walked yesterday and it would have been 9 vs 11.

Another test at Theatre of Dream, which I agree with you is irrelevant and the focus should be on beating the low block teams below us.

ROTG saying BFN

11 hours ago, Ham said:

Enjoy the win 

So dramatic,  you are making it sound like it was a relegation 6 pointer rather than a mid table PL clash 😃

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

More senior heads would navigate around it a lot better, but I suppose that's part and parcel of having a considerably young side that lacks in some of those key components. 

Another Xcelleryx contradiction - In the words of Buck Fizz " soon there will come a time for making your mind up" 😀

12 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

What was Brighton's problem? Such a chip on their shoulder. They probably were talking shit to our boys that left them and couldn't take the result despite half the game vs 10. 

I would be more concerned about our clubs problem than a team we play twice a season.

• Like 1

As an aside , that's two penalties we've had in recent games where the referees had absolutely no intention of giving them to us until shown up for the bias idiots they are by VAR . 

If it had been down to that fraud Pawson , we'd have lost that game 2-3 yesterday . 

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As an aside , that's two penalties we've had in recent games where the referees had absolutely no intention of giving them to us until shown up for the bias idiots they are by VAR . 

If it had been down to that fraud Pawson , we'd have lost that game 2-3 yesterday . 

I have said it was a pen that could never have been given with certainty in real time and would only be given half the time with VAR.
Far from bias against us, it suggests bias for us - Brighton fans would certainly think so.

One of the impacts of VAR is that refs are backing away from brave calls because they would actually prefer VAR to look at the decision.  But as a result more "brave calls" are being made overall.  That is just a general thing, nothing to do with us.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ham said:

Enjoy the win 

I would be the happiest man on earth if our squad cost a fraction of what it did. Unfortunately they've spent more than anybody in world football to serve this rubbish up so yeah, not a lot of joy tbh. 

Edited by Bison

No idea what that referee was doing yesterday, didn’t realise he’d given a penalty to Brighton, because he did it so discreetly, as if it was some sort of Victoria’s Secret. When he went to the monitor I thought he was looking for an accuse to give it, then it was a corner, then it wasn’t, honestly what a farce this league is. 

Edited by Floyd25

40 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I have said it was a pen that could never have been given with certainty in real time and would only be given half the time with VAR.
Far from bias against us, it suggests bias for us - Brighton fans would certainly think so.

One of the impacts of VAR is that refs are backing away from brave calls because they would actually prefer VAR to look at the decision.  But as a result more "brave calls" are being made overall.  That is just a general thing, nothing to do with us.

Sorry mate we must agree to disagree

The refs have no time for us and referee accordingly. 

53 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

No idea what that referee was doing yesterday, didn’t realise he’d given a penalty to Brighton, because he did it so discreetly, as if it was some sort of Victoria’s Secret. When he went to the monitor I thought he was looking for an accuse to give it, then it was a corner, then it wasn’t, honestly what a farce this league is. 

From my view from the opposite end of the ground,  the ref looked like he gave the penalty then got surrounded by players, then he looked like he gave the corner - The Brighton players then took the ball from near the corner up towards the penalty spot - Then he went over to the monitor for what I thought at the time was to give the penalty - Just chaos, and that is where if the audio was available it would improve perceptions, perhaps.

As for the  rest of the match - First 10-15mins was as I expected, us chasing Brighton with them moving the ball quite smoothly around but without creating much. We then grew into the game and for the next 25 mins were the dominant force, Enzo played in the more forward role during this period, the midfield three still not appearing to be co-ordinated and automatically knowing what each other are doing or zipping one/two-touch passes to each other. Jackson linked up better than he has done recently. Stirling was good - AGAIN. Mudryck looked occasionally very dangerous and occasionally ordinary, but he needs minutes on the pitch and consistently so - plus some good coaching.  With the latter, this fella could be a world-beater.

Gallagher needs to stop charging around tackling everything that moves and learn when to go in and when getting the right side of the opposition player is good enough -  also learn some positional discipline and then you don't need to be charging around so much. To be fair to the referee he let him away with a tackle before the first yellow, that would have been a booking by most other refs. A good coach would have had him to one side and instructed him what not to do,  or changed things so Caicedo was the player doing the dog work. Not our fella though. Di Zerbi had their lad off who'd been booked, early in the second half.

Resolute display from the 10 men though, what a player Silva is - not boring saying that, he just is. He was at Disasi at the end of the first half as the latter had been giving their left-winger too much room and letting him inside far to  easy. Just like Colwill did for the right-sided wide player who cut in for that finish.  I know I might get a bit of stick from @chara for this one, but a really-good goalkeeper saves that. At the ground I thought super clinical finish real-time, but when I saw a replay Sanchez just doesn't get his hand/arm-height right. He did OK for the rest of the game, got a bit lucky when he mis-controlled the ball (which can happen) but he then compounded that and then almost passed the ball against the on-coming attacking player.

Ref Watch - Probably as incompetent for them as he was for us. VAR saved his bacon a bit. 

Edited by east lower

19 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Connor should have known better but that is a harsh 2nd yellow. VAR just stands there like a lemon.

VAR can't rescind a yellow.

Absolutely moronic from Gallagher. You just can't take that sort of risk on a yellow. The second time in his short Chelsea career he has managed to get 2 yellows before HT. 

19 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

If we don’t win - Poch it’s time to go mate!!! Had enough of this shite

I'm not it is his fault some of our players are brain dead.

19 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Disasi was awful at RB and now Mitoma is warming up. Mudryk is an utter coward and him getting a standing round of applause for ... having a shot is far more savage a criticism of him than me saying that.

I'm not sure he got anything more than a round of applause for his turn, run and shot, but either was nothing compared to the vast number of morons in the crowd who stood up to clap Gallagher off, like he was some sort of hero,

18 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

That should be a pen.

But Mudryk should have got there and scored it to leave no doubt. He pulls out of challenges. 

He was pushed, and both his legs were clipped. I am not sure what he was supposed to do in that situation

18 hours ago, Bigpokey24 said:

that is a red 

Yes. I know they changed the double jeopardy law, but when it's a deliberate foul, it should still be a red.

18 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Never heard such inaccurate commentary bollocks

Really? Happens most weeks. Anyone seen the Craig Burley analysis? What a C*nt he is.

18 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Referee and VAR an absolute joke at the end. No control of this match. 

18 hours ago, Backbiter said:

That VAR check at the end was a piss-take.

18 hours ago, Backbiter said:

The studio pundits (Robbie Mustoe and Tim Howard) say the VAR sent him to the screen to show him he'd got the call wrong, after he awarded them a pen for handball. Which is fair enough I suppose.

Not many people in the ground noticed that the ref awarded the penalty in the first place, and was sent to the screen to overturn it.

When the ref made the overturn gesture after looking at the screen, all the Brighton fans cheered as they thought he was overturning the corner, to award a penalty, when in fact he was overturning his incorrect award of the penalty. 

18 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Well done lads. Pleased for Poch and pleased for Dudryk winning the pen, even though I don't think it was one.

In what world is that not a pen? If it's just the push, it is soft, but Milner's legs take out both of Mudryk's

17 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

110 minutes of football is too much, this will break footballers.

It's nonsense, and so random. Where did 10 minutes come from? there was one unusual delay for the penalty, and all of a sudden it is plus 10. Joke.

17 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Also credit to Sanchez second half. I thought he handled everything really well, although his kicking was poo as usual.

He was excellent in the second half. Some good saves, and take some high crosses.

13 hours ago, Rob B said:

Since the defeat to Villa, we’ve played 10 games in all comps, won 6 and drawn 2 (Arsenal and City).   Our losses were Brentford and Newcastle.  Don’t know about anyone else, but it feels much worse than that?! 

I had this conversation with a mate before the game. As bad as it was last week, the few games before had been pretty good, and as you say, we have now won 6/10 and drawn against the best 2 sides (should have beaten Arsenal too)

The run of games in December looks much kinder after the run of Spurs, City, Newcastle

• Like 2