JaneB

Matchday prediction  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Everton win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

46 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

My point is that football fans are often fickle and entirely clueless when it comes to what they feel is acceptable. It doesn't take long for tones to change. I mean you only need to see the first summer ownership had here and the initial thoughts about the likes of Sterling, Koulibaly, Cucurella, etc. Fast forward a few months and the majority wanted these guys binned and out of he club immediately. 

There is no magic fix-all solution. We can't even find consistency to build upon because we're either always needing to accomodate injuries, suspensions, form, and then just your regular rotation.

Fans are not fickle, what the fans saw was an ownership rudderless. Instead of bringing in professional consultants e.g. Mechael Emenalo type figure to discuss what went wrong in the first transfer window, they decide to hire championship scouts and give them the keys to the vault. Hence were we are with a poor team which is not capable of the kind of improvement to make a top four challenge this season or in the next 10 seasons. 

The magic fix would have to have kept the like of Winstanley & co at there previous clubs and brought in professionals. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Truly, truly appreciated, kev61 (though my great grandmother was British, and she was born in 1820 - so I never got the opportunity to learn "native english" from her, ha ha)

Scandinavian people puts us to shame.The  uk people  in general can't speak another language  which is (including me) is lazy.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Fans are not fickle, what the fans saw was an ownership rudderless. Instead of bringing in professional consultants e.g. Mechael Emenalo type figure to discuss what went wrong in the first transfer window, they decide to hire championship scouts and give them the keys to the vault. Hence were we are with a poor team which is not capable of the kind of improvement to make a top four challenge this season or in the next 10 seasons. 

The magic fix would have to have kept the like of Winstanley & co at there previous clubs and brought in professionals. 

They are fickle, there's literally years upon years of evidence that highlights this across various teams and leagues. It's genuinely an indisputable fact of the sport.

Michael Emenalo is a name you've brought up before but ignore he got his start on the basis of practically nothing. Initially coming on board in a scouting capacity before eventually ending up as an assistant under Grant. He was literally less qualified than those we've hired currently. Sure, it panned out quite well when looking back at it but there were plenty of times he was criticised as well. 

We obviously need some more established quality within the team, and hopefully we'll add the in the upcoming windows, but we also don't know just how good some of those we have signed could be longer term because there just hasn't been enough time to pass. I wonder if you'd be signing the same tune if this group, for argument sake, ended up with several high quality players developing from it and heavily contributed to the club being back in a challenging position again. 

Would've loved to see your receipts on players like KdB, Salah and several others that took time. 

We've lost our soul, we've lost our identity. Our position in the league is an accurate representation of the quality of the players at the club, its manager, coaches, board and owners. We are proof that flinging money at a problem is no guarantee of success. City has shown that you need to have a coherent plan. We clearly don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Michael Emenalo is a name you've brought up before but ignore he got his start on the basis of practically nothing. Initially coming on board in a scouting capacity before eventually ending up as an assistant under Grant. He was literally less qualified than those we've hired currently. Sure, it panned out quite well when looking back at it but there were plenty of times he was criticised as well. 

Umm a man with a degree from Boston University, FIFA’s pro licence is less qualified than the gang of 3?
FWIW Emenalo came to Chelsea and restructured the scouting department and thereafter found the likes of KDB, Lukaku etc. 

he then became technical director overseeing some of the clubs most successful periods of winning trophies and the recruitment loan system and support the academy when other wanted it to take a back seat. 

Remind me what do the 3 championship scouts have to brag about on their CV’s

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, east lower said:

Sounds like that bitter bas***d Di-Zerbi after our game.

He was right, though. Brighton outplayed us as were thoroughly the better team. Didn't watch yesterday, no idea if Pochettino is "right". Doesn't really matter when you’ve lost your 7th PL game and you've more than half your advent calendar left, mind.

10 hours ago, patThenevin said:

Particularly when you see some of the scale of transfer payment mechanisms allied to the long term contract arrangement. 

Sleep walking into calamity.

All went quiet. Not a protest, barely a murmur at matches given what they were doing with Roman and ultimately now what we are getting via a wholly inept bunch mortgaging the clubs future line a trading derivative.

The public gets what the public wants.

QFT. What best helps temper my anger at these results is that I don't think they matter too much in the scheme of things, because these owners are an existential danger. I worry that we'll soon find the idea we worried about 3 years without CL football quite quaint.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

My point is that football fans are often fickle and entirely clueless when it comes to what they feel is acceptable. It doesn't take long for tones to change. I mean you only need to see the first summer ownership had here and the initial thoughts about the likes of Sterling, Koulibaly, Cucurella, etc. Fast forward a few months and the majority wanted these guys binned and out of he club immediately. 

These kind of comments, where we pretend there is a majority position on something and that we are able to see it even when others cannot, are tedious. There was, here and in every Chelsea circle I move in, a variety of opinions on the players you mentioned both when they signed and as the season went on. If the tide did turn on them, it's uncharitable to say that's evidence of being "fickle" or "clueless" when another interpretation would be "I'm an optimist, but I've seen them now and it ain't good". I'd wager your average Chelsea supporter wasn't watching Brighton every weekend, let alone Napoli. People are often reactionary, but it makes complete sense to change your opinion when the evidence in front of you changes.

Imagine pretending there was anything like majority positivity on a Chelsea fan forum about Chelsea signing Raheem Sterling for £50m in 2022. Silly stuff.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I remember a few seasons ago when we were linked with signing Hakimi and there were plenty having a piss and moan about spending so much on a RB when we already had Reece James.

There is no magic fix-all solution. We can't even find consistency to build upon because we're either always needing to accomodate injuries, suspensions, form, and then just your regular rotation.

The bit is far too big for some of these players to take between their teeth. There's no shame in that, a lot are young, inexperienced and are being asked to perform beyond their immediate capabilities. This is why the floor level of the team itself has dropped. It was expected, and unsurprising that it's also happened. 

We've gotta get through to the January window, then hope ownership provide the manager a few more established options in key areas of the side to help raise that floor. I've said before, and still feel unchanged about it, but we do have a solid nucleus of players on board already, it's now gotta be about adding floor raisers to the equation. This is where I'll be interested to see what ownership do.

Listen. I really wanted Poch but even I can see there’s zero progress being made. We are statistically the worst team in the league. Our captain - my favourite player - is a cripple. We can’t do the basic things. No spine. No leadership. No strength. No organisation. And seemingly no coaching. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I remember a few seasons ago when we were linked with signing Hakimi and there were plenty having a piss and moan about spending so much on a RB when we already had Reece James.

The bit is far too big for some of these players to take between their teeth. There's no shame in that, a lot are young, inexperienced and are being asked to perform beyond their immediate capabilities. This is why the floor level of the team itself has dropped. It was expected, and unsurprising that it's also happened. 

We've gotta get through to the January window, then hope ownership provide the manager a few more established options in key areas of the side to help raise that floor. I've said before, and still feel unchanged about it, but we do have a solid nucleus of players on board already, it's now gotta be about adding floor raisers to the equation. This is where I'll be interested to see what ownership do.

The biggest problem I have with your perspective @xceleryx is it never really evolves. You will argue you are being patient while others are being fickle, but it's plainly obvious why fans have changed about James. He has had 11 injuries and spells on the sidelines since we were linked with Hakimi, cementing his injury-prone status while we now desperately need a captain who actually plays. It was not obvious back then that this was such an intractable situation.

Similarly, it was unthinkable to any of us, even those staunchly behind the owners, that we would be doing worse under Poch than under Potter. That is a bloody good reason for changing your mind and frankly - it just sounds like you are paid to give PR for Clearlake at this point. We could do anything under the owners bar getting relegated and even then you would argue:

"Fans are fickle - they complained about the likes of Mudryk and Jackson and now we're in the Championship. We may have lowered our ceiling, but the ownership have set ourselves up for a bright future. With a lower wage bill and and a solid nucleus, the ownership have learned quickly on the job. Add a couple more floor raisers and we could see things turn pretty quickly at SW6".

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

He was right, though. Brighton outplayed us as were thoroughly the better team.

Only in the same sense we were the better team yesterday.

If possession is what dictates who played better. Brighton played better than us, and we played better than Everton.

Doesn't work like that.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Only in the same sense we were the better team yesterday.

If possession is what dictates who played better. Brighton played better than us, and we played better than Everton.

Doesn't work like that.

I don't think anything "dictates" judgements on which team played better in any one match. It's precisely that, a matter of individual judgement. I wouldn't say Brighton were better than us just based on possession, but on what I saw of them in terms of movement, structure, intensity, passing, skill etc. Another person will, understandably, see it differently.

Of course you're right that results and the table don't really care about those things. And I don't think they really matter if you're considering or analysing just one game, or even a few games over a period. They are, though, I think really important when looking at overall patterns. Our results have differed at points, but how we have played generally hasn't. I didn't see yesterday's game so can't comment on it. My best guess is that we did all of the same things we've been doing consistently in every game all season, but maybe I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

⚠️I think Matthew’s got an emoji stuck in his throat again - does anyone know the heimlich?

Noting it should be Matt,,,,and a capital H... Know Heimlich? yep...I read an interview with "arry... " Yeah...Heimlich,,,solid mid field tried to sign 'im at Pompey...could 'ave been anover Ballack...should have moved before the bad injury,,,too good for the Jerry League."

You all need to stay on top of things!......what on earth is distracting you?

• Like 1

Question..(eventually!)..in the real World in any organisation there are the top guys..often figure heads but not always...the ground level hard workers who provide the product/service..and the Middle level power houses that pull the strings and lead the way..over simplification as ever but the top can be ignored. the bottom can be improved and/or motivated...but if the middle is bad/incompetent everything goes South eventually.

My unanswered question..perhaps no one knows or has any idea..

WHO RECOMMENDED THE "TRIO" TO TODD AND CO?

9 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Is the game worth watching? I heard the commentary but have not seen any of it yet.

Depends. If you're looking for something enjoyable to watch, then this isn't for you. If you want to watch to try and spot some areas of improvement, then this probably isn't for you either. If you're after something that may lower your spirits and overall mood, then this is for you!

Honestly, though, I wouldn't go out of your way to watch it as it was all highly predictable in the end. It went pretty much how I personally expected it to go. We dominated possession throughout, without creating any real chances. We lost some more players to injury. Everton didn't really do anything in the game, but just waited patiently for us to give them some half decent chances as we always do, which they took and won the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think anything "dictates" judgements on which team played better in any one match. It's precisely that, a matter of individual judgement. I wouldn't say Brighton were better than us just based on possession, but on what I saw of them in terms of movement, structure, intensity, passing, skill etc. Another person will, understandably, see it differently.

I expect if we played for an hour with a man advantage and drew that spell of the game 1-1 with a late headed goal from a corner, you'd be less than impressed.