Dogs,Cats and other things that go bump in the night!

chara

16 minutes ago, east lower said:

Idyllic! 

I buy in bulk now, there’s plenty of companies now doing it and it saves a bit of money when buying against the 1, 2.5 and 5kg packages. Especially nuts, suet pellets and decent quality mixed food with insects etc.

What an anorak!!!! 😂😂 (that’s targeted at me!) 

I feel you, 20kg bags of seed, mixed with mealworm and added nigella and sunflower kernels 

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I feel you, 20kg bags of seed, mixed with mealworm and added nigella and sunflower kernels 

That sort of stuff, I tend to go for the 12.5kg bags as I’m struggling for internal storage and if you keep the stuff in sheds then our ratty friends get in.

20 minutes ago, east lower said:

That sort of stuff, I tend to go for the 12.5kg bags as I’m struggling for internal storage and if you keep the stuff in sheds then our ratty friends get in.

Yes agreed, we keep ours in the utility for this reason, we do get the occasional mouse though! 

Well..not one to try and upstage anyone😄...had our first hummingbird on the feeder about ten minutes ago,,two or three different kinds here annually.....the Rufus type are very aggressive and hog the feeders when they can,,,at times in the Summer (where are you?) it's like 1940 skies over the South of England.

Used to put out bird food but encourages the woody type birds to rat a tat the house!..plus the squirrels plunder as much as they can,,two kinds..the grey and the Abert squirrel,,,interesting as they are grey as a species but a local mutation is black.

Mrs C makes the hummingbird feeder stuff..a portion of sugar to four of water..

Enjoying the latest "discussions".....the Forum never lets you down!

1 hour ago, chara said:

Well..not one to try and upstage anyone😄...had our first hummingbird on the feeder about ten minutes ago,,two or three different kinds here annually.....the Rufus type are very aggressive and hog the feeders when they can,,,at times in the Summer (where are you?) it's like 1940 skies over the South of England.

Used to put out bird food but encourages the woody type birds to rat a tat the house!..plus the squirrels plunder as much as they can,,two kinds..the grey and the Abert squirrel,,,interesting as they are grey as a species but a local mutation is black.

Mrs C makes the hummingbird feeder stuff..a portion of sugar to four of water..

Enjoying the latest "discussions".....the Forum never lets you down!

To be honest I really enjoy feeding the squirrels - gray ones only where I am. Mischievous creatures, but fun to watch.

No hummingbirds in Surrey…………but on a holiday in St Lucia, where we had a private garden with pool, hammock, bar, butler - Swanky affair, but it was an ‘occasion’.

We’d watch the hummingbirds do their thing with the flowers trailing over the wall and set out a small saucer with that sugar/water mix for the geckos 🦎. Late afternoon in the hammock or pool with a glass of something cold, good book and watching the wildlife.

We’re visiting my wife’s best pal who lives in Brisbane for close to three weeks in November (just by luck, when the international break is happening, so only miss one game -that was a stroke of luck, wasn’t it 😉). Never been to Australia in my life and getting trips booked for Koala’s, Roo’s and cage diving! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

To be honest I really enjoy feeding the squirrels - gray ones only where I am. Mischievous creatures, but fun to watch.

No hummingbirds in Surrey…………but on a holiday in St Lucia, where we had a private garden with pool, hammock, bar, butler - Swanky affair, but it was an ‘occasion’.

We’d watch the hummingbirds do their thing with the flowers trailing over the wall and set out a small saucer with that sugar/water mix for the geckos 🦎. Late afternoon in the hammock or pool with a glass of something cold, good book and watching the wildlife.

We’re visiting my wife’s best pal who lives in Brisbane for close to three weeks in November (just by luck, when the international break is happening, so only miss one game -that was a stroke of luck, wasn’t it 😉). Never been to Australia in my life and getting trips booked for Koala’s, Roo’s and cage diving! 

@east lower,,Now that sounds a trip....not sure about the cage diving!,,,too many Far Side offerings I think!

Have a short list of comics I try to catch every day...funny thing ..top three musts are "old" reruns.."Doonesbury" "The Far Side" and of course the timeless "Peanuts"...all completely different but equally brilliant in their own way (imho).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chara said:

@east lower,,Now that sounds a trip....not sure about the cage diving!,,,too many Far Side offerings I think!

Have a short list of comics I try to catch every day...funny thing ..top three musts are "old" reruns.."Doonesbury" "The Far Side" and of course the timeless "Peanuts"...all completely different but equally brilliant in their own way (imho).

Did some diving over the years in the Maldives, and you regularly came across reef-sharks - they were more scared of you than you were of them, the really scary creatures were the moray-eels. If you were on a dive in the channels where the currents got a bit lively, you’d hand-over-hand to get across some of the exposed areas or use a hook and rope. Did one dive once where, wherever I put my hand a damn moray would pop out of a hole, with a mouth full of disease ridden teeth looking at me. Air didn’t last as long as normal in that dive!!

Number of sharks increased a lot after the Tsunami, you’d see them on most dives for a couple of years after that.

My favourite comic was one called 2000 AD - Judge Dredd started in that one I think?

Edited by east lower

@east lower...have "experience of morays!....used to snorkel for lobsters when I lived in the Caribbean..the locals used a wire noose on a stick to get the loop behind the lobster and catch it when it darted back...I couldn't get that right so just swacked them with a spear gun...the day a missed a lobster in a hole only to have a somewhat angry moray come out impaled on my harpoon was interesting to say the least,,we had nurse shark..harmless but strong..bent up my buddy's harpoon...good tucker though (getting in the Aussie mood!)

5 hours ago, chara said:

Ok last for the day,,too much time! Same view early Sat am!  Paranoid Colorado weather!

IMG_2889.jpg

That hummingbird must have been freezing its little wings off!😉

As you say weird climate.

• Haha 1

@east lower,,,first one for us although others around here have reported sightings for 2/3 weeks at least...such tiny fragile looking things but always surprises me how they seem to get through such late weather issues yet leave long before the nasty stuff returns at the end of summer...same with the mourning doves,,first cold front in Sept and they are gone South almost overnight.

We have three types of jays ...the Grey Jay being one of my favourite birds out here..often .called Camprobber Jays, ,

On 12/05/2024 at 17:37, Ham said:

Sadly had to say goodbye to our beautiful Molly on Friday after her kidneys failed.  She was 12. 

Now reunited with her sister who left us exactly 2 years earlier 🩷

They give you immense joy and unconditional love but the heartbreak is immeasurable..... IMG-20221019-WA0007.thumb.jpg.1e0c1d17ab8f030f021786df190d9fd7.jpg

Dear Ham, I've only just seen this.  I am so very sorry.  There's nothing I can say or add to what others have said to make things any better.  

I have been through this too many times and it still breaks my heart, but I would never have missed having them in my life and all the love and memories they brought.

Thinking of you and Mrs. H. x

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/05/2024 at 23:10, Ham said:

Thanks Jane.  The joy they give is worth any amount of heartache.  

Our role is to be there to give them the best possible lives.  Job done. 

Their time is so short - and we are their entire world. So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is one of the most dreadful things, especially when it is us who has to make the decision. The final journey to the vet is almost unbearable.

Personally - even putting work etc aside - it’s why I just can’t get my own pet again.  Negative, maybe, but it’s how I feel. 

But anyway! Molly looks very sweet, she really does. I hope in time you get another dog. 🩷🩶

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Their time is so short - and we are their entire world. So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is one of the most dreadful things, especially when it is us who has to make the decision. The final journey to the vet is almost unbearable.

Personally - even putting work etc aside - it’s why I just can’t get my own pet again.  Negative, maybe, but it’s how I feel. 

But anyway! Molly looks very sweet, she really does. I hope in time you get another dog. 🩷🩶

Thank you Matt. You're 100% right about that final journey to the vet.  The guilt you feel when they are looking up at you for help and you know what's coming. 

I would love to have another cavalier but my Sandra can't for the same reason as you. I'm hoping she will eventually change her mind. 

🩷🐶🩷

• Love 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Thank you Matt. You're 100% right about that final journey to the vet.  The guilt you feel when they are looking up at you for help and you know what's coming. 

I would love to have another cavalier but my Sandra can't for the same reason as you. I'm hoping she will eventually change her mind. 

🩷🐶🩷

I'm so sorry for your loss mate, as you know I have ten and they're all getting old now, me and my Mrs are going to have some hard years ahead of us, I broke my heart when I had to have the last one put to sleep. Sobbed like a baby. 

• Love 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, chara said:

My Jessi just turned 14,,,still bounces about and active but I know it's just a matter of time... I knew when she came into my life and my Legend Pedro was in his late prime that if I didn't bring in another pup into my life I would not be able to do that when Pedro passed..... with two of Jessi's pups..no longer puppies, of course, her inevitable goodbye will  leave a hole in my heart not the huge ocean of loss and hurt with a silence where once chaos and smiles existed.

It aches but I know Cash and Jasper are the last to bless my days,,,but so many wonderful memories of scamps and clowns characters and companions through good times and bad ,all treasured memories of tears and smiles.

"Can't buy me love"..... a gift beyond price.

Our other Cavalier King Charles spaniel, who passed two years earlier, was called Jessie.  I still really miss having her around to this day.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Thanks Mark. There were many tears in our house recently. Not ashamed to say I also cried my eyes out. 

Yes you are going to have some tough times ahead but my God, you've given so many animals a better life than they might have had. Always hold onto that. 

A thing I think we all take for granted and don't think about but so so true.

When my Island mutt Charlotte.born with a front leg deformed...passed at the Vets ...she and I were in tears....the Vet said.."A lot of people wouldn't have bothered with her"....  I remember thinking why on earth not?...but Dr Lynne was right....

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 13/05/2024 at 22:25, east lower said:

Seeing that you enjoy watching Squierrels, you might enjoy watching  the YouTube channel 'Squirrels At The Window'

Usually a few videos posted each week with lots of squirrels coming to her window to eat nuts and other food. 

Another one is a live cam called Squirrels Wonderland. Being live the squirrels aren't always  in view though.

I also love watching Chipmunks and there's a lovely YouTube channel called Choo Choos Story. They are just as much fun and adorable as the Squirrels. The  old couple who run the channel have an amazing connection with them and also two Bluejays and other birds. They live at the edge of a Forrest over looking a lake. It's a dream home if ever there was one.🙂

1 minute ago, boratsbrother said:

Seeing that you enjoy watching Squierrels, you might enjoy watching  the YouTube channel 'Squirrels At The Window'

Usually a few videos posted each week with lots of squirrels coming to her window to eat nuts and other food. 

Another one is a live cam called Squirrels Wonderland. Being live the squirrels aren't always  in view though.

I also love watching Chipmunks and there's a lovely YouTube channel called Choo Choos Story. They are just as much fun and adorable as the Squirrels. The  old couple who run the channel have an amazing connection with them and also two Bluejays and other birds. They live at the edge of a Forrest over looking a lake. It's a dream home if ever there was one.🙂

I'll give it a bash, been thinking about one of those wildlife camera's for a while now and will probably end-up giving it a go. Every creature out there is bringing up young now and they're eating food like it's out of fashion.

I've watched captive Chipmunks and they are super energetic creatures.

That house sounds like @chara 's - Sure it wasn't him? 😉