Dogs,Cats and other things that go bump in the night!

chara

On 04/08/2024 at 20:03, chara said:

Just re reading the enjoyable posts here,,,calming after the Citeh first five minutes fiasco !

Just some thoughts for gentle discussion if anyone cares to read this..not an opinion piece..just sharing.

I,,modestly,am quite good with dogs and training but the longer I am around them the more complex and layered their behavour appears and I am very aware of how long the learning process is and I am nowhere near the end of the curve,,,the longer I ponder on it all the further from completion it all becomes!

I have had two Labs, two Springers. four German Wirehaired Pointers (" my"finally found breed) a Jack Russell and four equally appreciated mutts,

Just the difference in the genders among like breeds and across the board provides great fuel for thought;

In my experience the subtle difference in the affection shown from the females is a great comfort at times although the male bonding has always for me been just as sincere but with a difference.

I was once told..or read..that the male protected the property and the female the family...over simple generalisation of course but still valid and does illustrate differences,

My present three GWP's are Jessi at 14..and her two off springs Cash and Jasper..sired by my late great Pedro,,the soul mate dog of my life.

They all share a common very family oriented loyalty and work ethic although those days are past us,,,,then the temperament differences begin....Jessi is loving and affectionate with me and Mrs C,,much to her surprise as Mrs C has never been around dogs before,,,Jessi is not clingy but she is always aware of where I am and will quietly follow me if I leave the house or looks for me if I go out of the room for any length of time.

Jessi only ever cared about being around Pedro and always was/is aloof from other dogs and very protective around us.

Jasper is the quiet one,,,not nervous or withdrawn,,just focused...loves to be out with Jessi who tolerates both of them but subtly tolerates Cash just a tad more.

Cash is the clown or perhaps to be more accurate, the boisterous one, everything is a moment of sheer enjoyment of life,

All three are very good as watch dogs,,not attack dogs,,a stranger driving up to the house has any one of them, if out, retreating to the deck and front door barking to alert us,,not hysterical yapping,,just enough to alert us and give an unknown visitor pause for thought,,in the past I have written of their group reaction to bear intrusions,

Indoors the two pups are crated and are put out whenever they ask..Cash whines,,Jasper barks,,,they stay out as long as they care to but Jasper rarely stays out long on his own and prefers the privacy of his indoor kennel,,,all three "kennel up" without command when they come in although Jessi only is kenneled at night,,,the advantages of being able to kennel all three when we leave the house are a great comfort,

We live on nearly 5 acres unfenced in a retaining sense but they all stay close to the house except when I take them out in the afternoon and they wander around the property but always aware of where I am..should one of them lose sight of me he/she will immediately come looking but once they relocate me veer off and go back to their wandering around ,,not needing to come up to me.

All this behavour is not a trained thing, routine has a bearing but Cash for instance put out for the afternoon stroll will tear round to the back paddock after being let out the front door,,any other time he will just stay out front,

Probably rambled on too much but hope my scribbling is of some interest,,I could easily double or triple my observations but enough of an OGs self indulgance,

To finish,,best dog advice I have been given,,Somerset farmer,,"Dogs and children..all they need to learn is NO."

Tough Top  Ex-Pro Rodeo Bull Rider.."All they need is some love,"

Your observations on the different characters of dogs and bitches is interesting. As a devout lover of  Bullmastiffs I have always found the opposite of what you describe : the boys are straightforward, loyal, affectionate and altogether closer to their identified leader. The girls are much more complex, will test you and are more independent. Bitches will bear longstanding  grudges with other bitches, whereas dogs (as long as they don't actually fight to the death, which Bullmastiffs are capable of doing, but which I have never seen (they are in no doubt about who is the pack leader chez nous)). The most profound  relationships I have had have been with 3 male dogs in particular, although one of my bitches ranks with them.

You can cuddle a dog, but a Bullmastiff can cuddle you!

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Wonderful pictures Mr Williams..

Your excellent post emphasises the complexities involved with our beasts and is what makes it all, for me, such a compelling pursuit of more understanding.

Why are we,as individuals, in so many instances,drawn to a  particular breed?

I have such cherished memories of all my dogs (and the occasional cat)regardless of breed or parentage but the GWP's are "my" breed..the same as your affinity with those amazing Mastiffs you give us all such pleasure to see.

From my first two shilling donation at a rescue kennel  beloved Lab Toby(long story) to the present day I have been humbled and uplifted by all of them with no change of attitude to any of them but,,as I said ,,the GWP's are the perfect fit. Did I make that fit ?

Pedro was a gift at a very difficult time in my life from a good friend ,,the rest of the litter went for the "market" price for the well known line of working dogs,,,not an option for me at that time but an instant affinity. How does that occur?

Just some of the things that intrigue me about the subject.

Before I finish,,,, all my dogs are as capable as everyones of less than perfect behavour but never have I been deliberately hurt  by any of them..the honesty of connection is a thing to marvel at.

I know Ham's affinity with the little spaniels,,I wonder if the two of you have any thoughts of why you feel that affinity?

Edited by chara
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, chara said:

Your excellent post emphasises the complexities involved with our beasts and is what makes it all, for me, such a compelling pursuit of more understanding.

I have such cherished memories of all my dogs (and the occasional cat)regardless of breed or parentage but the GWP's are "my" breed..the same as your affinity with those amazing Mastiffs you give us all such pleasure to see.

From my first two shilling donation at a rescue kennel  beloved Lab Toby(long story) to the present day I have been humbled and uplifted by all of them with no change of attitude to any of them but,,as I said ,,the GWP's are the perfect fit. Did I make that fit ?

Pedro was a gift at a very difficult time in my life from a good friend ,,the rest of the litter went for the "market" price for the well known line of working dogs,,,not an option for me at that time but an instant affinity. How does that occur?

Before I finish,,,, all my dogs are as capable as everyones of less than perfect behavour but never have I been deliberately hurt  by any of them..the honesty of connection is a thing to marvel at.

I know Ham's affinity with the little spaniels,,I wonder if the two of you have any thoughts of why you feel that affinity?

King Charles Cavalier Spaniels are just the sweetest creatures on earth. 

Big sad eyes that follow you everywhere.  The perfect lap-dog.  

My two were chaalk and cheese though. 

Both incredibly loving but Jessie (Ruby coloured) was very tactile and smothered you with love whist Little Molly (same age, just a diddy one) demanded constant attention.  

Both slept at the end of our bed if they felt like it. You couldn't walk anywhere in the house without hearing the pitter patter of their little feet.  

Still miss them both massively.  The house feels completely empty.

IMG-20131024-WA0005.jpg.877f6dac3e9617044f52a2a4d09c09da.jpgphoto-2(1)(1).JPG.9ea1582266ea8f451a342147209d8394.JPG20170519_183655.thumb.jpg.00b46a8c5eb134f0868e9ae08331af0c.jpg2012-11-1323_12.14(1).thumb.jpg.ca71639fbb629bb8cada2a800887560f.jpg

• Love 4

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Both incredibly loving but Jessie (Ruby coloured) was very tactile and smothered you with love whist Little Molly (same age, just a diddy one) demanded constant attention.  

Both slept at the end of our bed if they felt like it. You couldn't walk anywhere in the house without hearing the pitter patter of their little feet.  

IMG-20131024-WA0005.jpg.877f6dac3e9617044f52a2a4d09c09da.jpgphoto-2(1)(1).JPG.9ea1582266ea8f451a342147209d8394.JPG20170519_183655.thumb.jpg.00b46a8c5eb134f0868e9ae08331af0c.jpg2012-11-1323_12.14(1).thumb.jpg.ca71639fbb629bb8cada2a800887560f.jpg

Gorgeous, so sorry for your loss 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chara said:

To answer your last question, my view is that dogs appeal because they possess the virtues to which the very best human beings aspire, but the quote which best describes the relationship is:

"The dog is the only thing on Earth which loves you more than himself."

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

A truly splendid breed.

• Like 1

Thanks Ham...Can relate to that emptyness ..as we all can..in my own mind I'm a hard man OG, delusional of course, but given moments of quiet reflection any of the reprobates who have moved over when brought to mind can still bring some moisture to my eyes,,probably only allergies,,being such a tough guy!

• Like 2

Ok...just off for breakfast out but will catch up.

Today is the B/day of the two pups...except they ain't pups anymore,,,ten ,,can't understand how that happened...and tomorrow it's my B/day,,,even more astonished when I look at that number!Glad to have this gentle, friendly topic to retreat to with all the preseason "concerns' eating up the Forum!

image_123650291 (7).JPG

• Love 4

Back from the Trading Post and back here after catching up on the other Topics,,Exhausting ! 

So many valid points but one thing I have learnt,,,save the powder for the battle, don't accept defeat before the battle without firing a shot!

So a very recent photo of Old Lady Jessi,,,not as frail as she may look by a long shot.

Plus..Pedro and offspring,

image_50415873.JPG

image_123650291 (8).JPG

• Love 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chrisb said:

This little chap is Diego and will be coming back to his new house in Essex at the beginning of October. He will be joining Pedro who we rescued from Spain 2 years ago, Jeffrey, Villanelle and Lilly. 5 black cats, god help us!FB1AD61F-0E40-4D43-A0C2-BF8CA578F748.thumb.jpeg.eae31ce3fe70da0b3390209a06888f8a.jpeg

Another Essex resident 👍🏻

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisb said:

This little chap is Diego and will be coming back to his new house in Essex at the beginning of October. He will be joining Pedro who we rescued from Spain 2 years ago, Jeffrey, Villanelle and Lilly. 5 black cats, god help us!FB1AD61F-0E40-4D43-A0C2-BF8CA578F748.thumb.jpeg.eae31ce3fe70da0b3390209a06888f8a.jpeg

Aren't all Essex cats supposed to have white socks ? 😉

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Aren't all Essex cats supposed to have white socks ? 😉

Diego is Spanish and living in Spain with us at the minute so he won’t get his white socks till he comes back to Essex next month. 👍

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Diego is Spanish and living in Spain with us at the minute so he won’t get his white socks till he comes back to Essex next month. 👍

Hmm.....how many black cats?..methinks there may be a closet Sunderland supporter among us.

Meanwhile  Mrs C says "Ahh bless him"!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm.....how many black cats?..methinks there may be a closet Sunderland supporter among us.

Meanwhile  Mrs C says "Ahh bless him"!

We try to rescue the black ones in England as they are apparently the hardest to re-home. Diego and Pedro were Spanish strays that we crossed paths with and couldn’t help but rescue!

• Love 1