Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

4 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

I was all for giving him a chance and still hope he improves but this promising coach thing is built on false facts to an extent.

He was certainly one of the best coaches in the league - but that doesn't make him an elite manager at a top level football club. And the fact that Brighton couldn't score and we can now not score is well worth nothing, although goals did pick up for Brighton under Potter at the end of his spell.

It takes a special kind of personality to handle players at the very top of the game. Arteta has shown that. Potter not.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

He was certainly one of the best coaches in the league - but that doesn't make him an elite manager at a top level football club. And the fact that Brighton couldn't score and we can now not score is well worth nothing, although goals did pick up for Brighton under Potter at the end of his spell.

It takes a special kind of personality to handle players at the very top of the game. Arteta has shown that. Potter not.

That Brighton have gone relatively goal crazy and improved results wise overall since he left is also a worry-Potter teamsa rarely score more than two goals

1 minute ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

That Brighton have gone relatively goal crazy and improved results wise overall since he left is also a worry-Potter teamsa rarely score more than two goals

Two goals? Why does that sound crazy ambitious right now? 

Imagine it! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I wasn't able to read the Telegraph article as it's behind a paywall, but I did read the one in the Mail...

❝Training and analysis have been described as 'excellent' while key decisions - like the one to exclude Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from their Champions League squad - were taken after consultation with the board. 

The 47-year-old was criticised for deciding to rest stars such as Reece James, Thiago Silva and Raheem Sterling against Southampton but the owners were aware of why he selected that team beforehand.

Potter was reportedly told that James, Silva, Kai Havertz, Sterling and Mykhailo Mudryk were all at serious risk of injury and that selfless call has been recognised by Boehly and Eghbali.❞

Somehow I can't ever imagine Mourinho, Ancelotti, Conte, Sarri, or indeed ANY previous Chelsea manager - even "interims" like Rafa or Hiddink - ever contacting Abramovich and saying "... look boss, I'm leaving JT, Lamps and Willian out of the game at the weekend because I think they need a rest... is that OK?"

🙄 🙄

Odd, I could read it and am definitely not a Telegraph subscriber! But it looks like the exact same language and points. It is clearly the club's brief regurgitated, and all about how well Potter is working with the board ... Not what any of the actual outcomes of that are. 

Potter's got a full week to train the squad. That's the kind of time you only get in pre-season. He had a 2 week spell of available time a couple weeks ago as well. I'm not sure what a pre-season would bring at this point. 

This weekend is going to be huge for him. Tottenham looked really good yesterday. It's funny because Conte took over mid season as well and immediately imprinted an identity onto Spurs and there was also an immediate upturn in results. 

But at least it's reassuring that the training is supposedly "intense".

55 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Potter's got a full week to train the squad. That's the kind of time you only get in pre-season. He had a 2 week spell of available time a couple weeks ago as well. I'm not sure what a pre-season would bring at this point. 

This weekend is going to be huge for him. Tottenham looked really good yesterday. It's funny because Conte took over mid season as well and immediately imprinted an identity onto Spurs and there was also an immediate upturn in results. 

But at least it's reassuring that the training is supposedly "intense".

A full week where he decided to give everyone two days off .

10 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think there is any doubt that the board will be looking for and possibly talking to replacements. There is no way he will be here for the start of next season. 

The only really question is do we sack him now and bring in someone short term until we can get the right man in the summer or do we just amble on as we are. The answer is obvious but doesn't seem to be what the board want, 4 managers in 12 months and that is sort of understandable. 

Or it could be that, based on the type of incentive based contract's we seem to have given the players the same applies to the manager. Maybe there is something that allows us to part ways at the end of the season, if he doesn't meet targets, that saves us a fortune. Don't think that can be ruled out as they have taken a different stance to the norm when it comes to contracts and things that effect FFP.

At the moment we are only 4 points (4+ as I expect him to lose to Spurs) off a Europa league spot.

Now or never

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

A full week where he decided to give everyone two days off .

This is a head scratcher.

As someone has already pointed out I believe,  the players need sharpness and practice / drilling - not rest!

Not only were we knocked out of both domestic cups in the first round we entered, but so many of our players have been injured, no one has really been ‘flogged’ or even an ever-present, perhaps with the exception of Silva who you could easily give a few days off without affecting the others.  

One of the defences of Potter has been that he hasn’t had a pre-season with the players - yet on a week where we get 8 days straight to practice, he gives them two days off!!! 

Reece, Fofana, Chilwell, RLC, Kovacic, Mudryk, Madueke all need minutes in the tank.  Besides, even if the fitness experts have advised this (which I’m sure must be the case) SURELY there is merit in doing some tactical / shape work??  Or set pieces etc…

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not sure where that come from. 
If you look at his time at Brighton he only finished higher than Chris Houghton in his 3rd season. 

In fairness Bob as I'm sure you know he did so transforming the way the club played from a fifteen behind the ball boot it in the stands dreary nothing side into a progressive footballing side which is why he finds himself here at the moment.

We can agree he's making a pigs ear of it at the moment but let's be fair .

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand why we consistently play 4231 when we don't have a reliable striker. It's nonsense. Either keep your formation and start Fofana2 every match, so we actually have someone to lead the line which 4231 needs, or go full 433, Enzo/Kova/Zak midfield and a selection of our wingers up top. But having a floaty wishy washy Havertz playing pretend striker and constantly going deep to help out, buggers up the formation. Alternatively sit Kai down and show him Drogba highlights on YouTube for 24hrs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

A bit of practice beating the first man at corners might help.

We had someone earlier posting about scoring two goals in a game and now this!

Some blue-sky dreamers on this forum 😂

11 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

I honestly don't understand why we consistently play 4231 when we don't have a reliable striker. It's nonsense. Either keep your formation and start Fofana2 every match, so we actually have someone to lead the line which 4231 needs, or go full 433, Enzo/Kova/Zak midfield and a selection of our wingers up top. But having a floaty wishy washy Havertz playing pretend striker and constantly going deep to help out, buggers up the formation. Alternatively sit Kai down and show him Drogba highlights on YouTube for 24hrs.

100% 

Either Fofana or Auba.  Havertz is neither one thing or t'other. 

If Auba can't score potloads with the current squad then he should retire. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

If Auba can't score potloads with the current squad then he should retire. 

Well yes, but what has Auba done to deserve the bomb squad? Literally zero in the media, so not refusing to train or throwing wobblies, so what? Will make the young stars look bad when he actually scores a goal?

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I see nothing has changed today, I think that all but confirms he’s going nowhere this season.

Its possible they may be waiting for the Dortmund second leg in case we get through, but I don’t really see why.

Not if the fans keep turning and results don't improve. He will struggle to stay in his position then. 

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not sure where that come from. 
If you look at his time at Brighton he only finished higher than Chris Houghton in his 3rd season. 

I trust the widespread opinion that he's a high level coach.

Mind you Sterling said it's night and day between him and Tuchel, so maybe there really are "levels"...