Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

World cup winning MacAllister? 

The man who claimed that he hated Potter for chopping and changing his position but realised it had made him a better player.

I'm not claiming Potter is a great manager but he definitely has some good will in the bank regarding improving players.

Potter put MacAllister on the map.

How many players did SFL put on the map in 18 months at SB

just asking

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So at what point during the Team GP reign do we see the minimum of 75 pts in a season to qualify for the CL and +85 points to win the PL?

the most Team GP got is 49 pts and that took him 3 season to do better than Chris Houghton. 

I wouldn’t waste time comparing Houghton and Potters time at Brighton. We are talking chalk and cheese, it’s a bit like comparing Mourinho and Lampard at Chelsea.

I’m pretty sure Houghton only had two seasons at PL level with Brighton.

Both did very good jobs, but in very different ways and styles . Houghton was/is the ultimate pragmatist , where Potter had them playing expansive football. 

Just now, Thiago97 said:

I wouldn’t waste time comparing Houghton and Potters time at Brighton. We are talking chalk and cheese, it’s a bit like comparing Mourinho and Lampard at Chelsea.

I’m pretty sure Houghton only had two seasons at PL level with Brighton.

Both did very good jobs, but in very different ways and styles . Houghton was/is the ultimate pragmatist , where Potter had them playing expansive football. 

This is another myth. 
go look at goal scored during the Potter years vs Houghton. 

Potter is a media hype originally for the England job and unfortunately our owners believed the propaganda on him and Brighton.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

What has that got to do with anything other than your entrenched opinions?

Because your statement are more strawman than factual

Team GP will never get Chelsea to 75pts in a season.

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

This is another myth. 
go look at goal scored during the Potter years vs Houghton. 

Potter is a media hype originally for the England job and unfortunately our owners believed the propaganda on him and Brighton.

I’m not sure what the myth is. Houghton was defence minded and Potter more expansive. Now whether the goals scored back that up or not is not really that relevant, that’s how they played . The xG during both their reigns would provide a far better representation . 

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Because your statement are more strawman than factual

Team GP will never get Chelsea to 75pts in a season.

What? That by his own omission World Cup winner Alexis MacAllister credits Graham Potter with improving him as a player?

I think you need to rethink what strawman means.

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I’m not sure what the myth is. Houghton was defence minded and Potter more expansive. Now whether the goals scored back that up or not is not really that relevant, that’s how they played . The xG during both their reigns would provide a far better representation . 

It’s not about xG “what ever that is” it the league table at the end of the season and goals scored and goals conceded. 

Goals conceded is the only stat where Team GP out performs Houghton. 

22 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So at what point during the Team GP reign do we see the minimum of 75 pts in a season to qualify for the CL and +85 points to win the PL?

the most Team GP got is 49 pts and that took him 3 season to do better than Chris Houghton. 

I don't know if Potter will be able to achieve that sort of points total with us.

But what I can say is that he's got a far better squad of players here than at Brighton. 

So, if he's a great coach he should be able to eventually. I can't say when and if that will happen. 

Just now, ROTG said:

It’s not about xG “what ever that is” it the league table at the end of the season and goals scored and goals conceded. 

Goals conceded is the only stat where Team GP out performs Houghton. 

I’m not trying to convince you GP is a great manager here. I’m just pointing out the comparisons with Houghton are off the mark. Totally different managers and styles of play. Houghtons achievements at Brighton were good, but it was done playing a defensive brand of football. Potter took them to another level, playing a more expansive brand of football. Looking at the table , goals scored etc does not tell the full story.

If you don’t believe me, go and ask any Brighton fan which spell they enjoyed more between Potter and Houghton. If you find me one that says Houghton, I’ll find you a liar. 
Back to the original point, the comparison is pointless. One ended up at Chelsea, one went to Forest and left after a handful of games with them bottom of the league……they ended up being promoted that same season by his replacement! 

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What? That by his own omission World Cup winner Alexis MacAllister credits Graham Potter with improving him as a player?

I think you need to rethink what strawman means.

So why didnt the club buy him in January. He’s plays midfield?

Edited by ROTG

2 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

I don't know if Potter will be able to achieve that sort of points total with us.

Nobody can,it is all guess work.The one thing I do know is players at this level and i mean in monetary terms need to be happy in training otherwise they will just go through the motions.

Right - it's time to address this head on, because it keeps being said:

"It's clear Potter will be given until at least the end of the season."

No it isn't. Not at all.

That's the plan - I would say it would take a lot to move the owners off that.

But these are unprecedented times - the fans are getting incredibly hostile.

If we lose the next 3 - hell even the next 6 - do you still think he's in charge?

How about if he loses every single game until the end of the season?

Clearly there's a tipping point with the fans and the owners and anything is possible.

25 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

No it isn't. Not at all.

If we lose the next 3 - hell even the next 6 - do you still think he's in charge?

Clearly there's a tipping point with the fans and the owners and anything is possible.

He's lost the fans, it's only going to get more and more hostile, Saturday was the worst I've ever seen it, by far.

He's gone, just a matter of when.

29 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

No it isn't. Not at all.

Seems like a weird fight to pick, to me. It is "clear", very clear, that the owners have no desire to remove Potter from his role and will stick with that determination as far as they can. I don't think anyone saying as much thinks there's literally no circumstance under which they change their thinking. That plainly isn't true of any coach at any club. 

I think we can, though, be clear they will stick with things even if (when?) they get worse. It's just a question of how much worse. Because they aren't briefing unequivocal backing this week to sack him when Spurs, Dortmund and even Leeds do us.

I don't think the "tipping point" with the fans matters. Why are we expecting the owners to care about that?

• Agree 2

Agree ☝️

Potter is pretty much here for the rest of this season. Then he'll be given a pre-season with the new squad minus those currently here that we no longer want/need. The only scenario I see him getting sacked before the "end of next season" we've heard mention is if we are way off the pace come Christmas.