Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

25 minutes ago, east lower said:

Very droll 

image.jpeg.03707efde3b14dc0f41114b8ce6b49da.jpeg

After Saturday, knew he must have a soft spot for them as well.  Must be a red & white stripe thing

Years and years ago we played in a stripey kit, I've always fancied one again. 

I expect we'd only be accused of turning into Brighton if we did though.

I would like a stripey away kit all the same 

OG Stoke memory...losing 0-1 at home in the promotion final lap back in the Dark Ages....Stanley Matthews in his last hurrah...knocked the Chelsea promotion prospects back but thanks to Mr Harmer and his "bits" made it in the end.

NO STRIPES GENTLEMAN..PLEASE!...😉

added for topic accountability!...

If you think top four race is stressful..ask anyone how much more a promotion race is...and...should the Sky Fall suspect GP not up to climbing back...

Edited by chara
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RDCW said:

🤮

Had all three kits, the white one had this fine silver thread stripe through the blue and red.

Loved those early 80’s Le Coq Sportif kits

Far and away better than these ‘ultra clever’ Nike design tosh we get served up now.

Did like that FA Cup ‘special’ served up a couple of seasons ago.

Potters still a dud though - just for topic keeping sake.

Edited by east lower

10 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Other than Ferguson and Guardiola has anyone ever had long term success in this league?

Liverpool and the mighty Klopp have won it once.

Jose built a team, a structure, a mentality that did have prolonged success even if he wasn't here to oversee it.

The bolded part is the most appealing part of Mourinho returning for a third stint for me. In fact, this is what I put a lot of emphasis on in regards who whoever may end up replacing Potter. Having a manger that can instil a strong mentality will what we're able to build the rest upon. Have a look at the latter Wenger sides as a good example - while they were well drilled, played lovely football, and got decent results, they lacked the mentality to really capitalise on all the other stuff in place and would often roll over when things got tough. 

It's the sort of thing that can have a lasting impact on a playing group even if the manager leaves. If you have the right players they can then take that attitude and set it as the standard for the playing group, especially if it's coming from the leaders. 

9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The biggest issue here I feel is that Reece appears to have been instructed not to overlap the winger , it may just be me being an idiot but it looks like he's not being given free reign to attack our opponents box. 

Couple of reasons for this I would imagine. 

The first being that because we're playing a back four now and don't really have a bonafide holding player, committing the fullbacks forward heavily can leave us more exposed on the break. Having them stay back gives us that extra body or two that can somewhat tuck in, we see Cucurella do this quite a lot actually and act as a faux CB/CM at times. 

Secondly it may also be because of him just returning to fitness and not wanting to extend him too far. Having him play in a more reserved fashion may help with keeping him fit and on the pitch for the remainder of the season. 

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Drogba looked  a bit of a donkey early on. 

Forfana is just one of the numerous young players we've taken a punt on and at a price that was worth a punt. What we shouldn't have done is take a punt on Mudryk for such an enourmous fee.

If Forfana doesn't make it here it will be no great loss, but if Mudryk flops it will be a costly mistake.

Depends how one see's costly I suppose.

£62m is roughly the fee paid with bonuses raising that - which if that happens will likely mean he's a success and worth the money. Divide that by the length of his contract (8 years) - its a yearly on book cost of £7.75m. With a base wage reported round the £100k mark, again likely to rise with incentives should the he hit certain milestones which once more would mean he'd be doing well. 

Should he flop it's unlikely to be as costly as the media and opposition supporters love to big up. That's part of the point of how we've structured these deals, they've not only allow us to continue to spend but because everything is spread out over long term deals and low base wages we'll not be stuck in a situation like we've got with say Lukaku, or have had with the likes of Veron, Torres or others in years prior. 

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Ah boo boo. Those poor, poor underperforming players and their trials and tribulations. 

If they were only a 9 away from competing for the PL before Todd and co arrived, why didn't they win it? Why didn't they provide Lukaku with decent chances in front of goal? 

Every year for the past 5 or so years there's been a steady trickle of information from our players about how this manager and that manager didn't understand them or spoke to them too much or not enough.

Take some responsibility FFS you overpaid toddlers!

You have a football and you have perfect pitches to play on. 

How difficult can it be?

• Agree 1

What do people think of the three days off training this week?

In some ways I can respect managing injuries, but taking three days off seems absolutely unprecedented over recent years. Seems to me there's no point in having fit players if they don't know what they're doing or how we're playing.

The team needed rebuilding regardless, Tuchel had literally milked all the could be milked from that squad and we slowly saw the aftermath of that towards the back end of his tenure, so there's no issues there on my behalf. Of course, there's also various ways a rebuild can be done and we're choosing to go down the path of using analytics and youth, which is going to mean it may take several years to see the full fruits of our labour. It'll hinge on the data used being applicable to how we opt to play and the league, plus we're banking on these young guys developing further which may not always happen. Young players are inconsistent however, and it will mean performances may ebb and flow until they develop fully. 

Ultimately, you still need to have the right figurehead managing the group. A strong manager is going to set the mentality of the squad, that'll trickle down to the players and eventually be seen on the pitch. Then you have the tactical acumen needed to compete at the highest level, particularly in those close encounters where talent alone doesn't cut it. 

There's a lot of "what if's" at the end of the day. All that aside however, there's still enough quality in this squad right now to be completing and performing far better than we are. This is what needs resolving first and foremost. 

• Like 1

Won't quote to avoid repeating the tweets, but @Max Fowler ... Surely there's no one in the world who thinks Potter can tactically compete with Guardiola or Klopp the way Tuchel could? I'd hope not even Boehly, Eghbali and the board think that, it's just so far away from what Potter's evidenced (to date) skillset is. I'm far more worried that Potter doesn't seem able to "tactically compete" with Southampton's assistant ...

I can definitely believe he's not saying much to the players, at least in terms of tactical preparation and what they will have experienced with Tuchel. You couldn't watch Chelsea since September and come to any other conclusion, tbh.

I'm definitely of the mind the owners have changed too much, too soon and that we really were not the binfire they and some supporters have made out at the point they came in. The reality is, mind, that vindication for any side of that argument is still a few years away. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Every year for the past 5 or so years there's been a steady trickle of information from our players about how this manager and that manager didn't understand them or spoke to them too much or not enough.

Think you're giving journalists too much credit here in thinking there's a "trickle" from the players. I'm sure some do talk (someone is leaking our starting XIs recently), but almost everything in those tweets is really just mealy-mouthed deduction.

How many dressing rooms do we think are in complete harmony all the time? There's always going to be a few unhappy or unsettled players, and almost always a few with loose lips.

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm far more worried that Potter doesn't seem able to "tactically compete" with Southampton's assistant ...

Anyone and I mean literally anyone can see Chelsea , faff about in front of their own goal trying to play out , have absolutely no goal threat as they never try anything other than walking the ball in and that the referee won't protect them so you can foul at will.

Set your team up to press, tactically foul and share the fouls out amongst the side and Bingo !

I think I could coach a side to beat these lemons.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Won't quote to avoid repeating the tweets, but @Max Fowler ... Surely there's no one in the world who thinks Potter can tactically compete with Guardiola or Klopp the way Tuchel could? I'd hope not even Boehly, Eghbali and the board think that, it's just so far away from what Potter's evidenced (to date) skillset is.

All the news before his signing was how everyone was telling Boehly that Potter is one of the best young coaches in the league. Boehly absolutely thinks Potter can compete at that level in exactly the same way Arteta is now.

36 minutes ago, Ham said:

Ah boo boo. Those poor, poor underperforming players and their trials and tribulations. 

If they were only a 9 away from competing for the PL before Todd and co arrived, why didn't they win it? Why didn't they provide Lukaku with decent chances in front of goal? 

Take some responsibility FFS you overpaid toddlers!

You have a football and you have perfect pitches to play on. 

How difficult can it be?

As I've said numerous times on here , I have absolutely no idea how good a coach Graham Potter is , I flip flop from one opinion to the next practically with the wind , but the talk that "Some players don't think the new arrivals are Chelsea quality" has really cemented in me the notion that the players are more culpable of the poor returns than the coach .

We need to break this spiral and if it means that various players opt out then they're exactly the players we don't need going forward. 

Dig in and tough it out like men or jog on.

13 hours ago, xceleryx said:

The bolded part is the most appealing part of Mourinho returning for a third stint for me. In fact, this is what I put a lot of emphasis on in regards who whoever may end up replacing Potter. Having a manger that can instil a strong mentality will what we're able to build the rest upon. Have a look at the latter Wenger sides as a good example - while they were well drilled, played lovely football, and got decent results, they lacked the mentality to really capitalise on all the other stuff in place and would often roll over when things got tough. 

It's the sort of thing that can have a lasting impact on a playing group even if the manager leaves. If you have the right players they can then take that attitude and set it as the standard for the playing group, especially if it's coming from the leaders. 

José Mourinho on Chelsea in 2019: “When you start accepting defeats just because your team played well and just because your players gave their best, a performance for people to be proud of… I think when you get used to it, that’s when the big clubs stop being big clubs.”

• Agree 3