Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

...when the rest of the fabulously wealthy and costly side couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo. 

This is the root of our issues. We are now finally making enough chances to win games. We need to increase the size of the banjo. 

Or the cow's backside.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I don't think a half-injured squad is why we haven't won football matches this season.

Our results fell off a cliff when James and Chilwell got crocked. Much as it did for Tuchel last season. Add in the other (up to) 9 players out and it is reasonable to say, for the 3rd time today, that the injuries were a contributing factor to us not winning games. 

Interesting comment about pre-season. I personally didn't think the pre-season looked disjointed. I mean, some poor results but he said it pertained to the organization of the pre-season. 

I can understand pre-season impacting the first half of the season, but we're late in February tbh. 

So in one short pres conference he managed to blame pre season, the amount of new players, the timing of his appointment, injuries, the World Cup, the age of the players and too many fixtures.

I know many say they don't pay attention to what is said in press conferences but that was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen from a manager.

He needs to go and he needs to go now.

36 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Interesting comment about pre-season. I personally didn't think the pre-season looked disjointed. I mean, some poor results but he said it pertained to the organization of the pre-season. 

I can understand pre-season impacting the first half of the season, but we're late in February tbh. 

First fixture 17th July in Las Vegas. Second fixture was 21st July in Charlotte, 2250 miles away. Next was the infamous Arsenal game, less than 48 hours later and in Florida, after another 500+ miles away. Then they flew back to Cobham, and then out again to Italy for the Udinese game 29th July. All on less than a week. The first PL fixture was the next weekend, 6th August. By this point, I think only Sterling and Koulibaly had come in, so the squad wasn't in great shape to train and bond.

It was an absolutely disastrous schedule, started too late and then crammed too many games across too far a distance into too few days. Recall a few here saying as much at the time, and Tuchel was vocal about how unhelpful it was for preparations. 

To what degree it has informed how the season has gone, idk. But I think Potter is right to comment on it, and that some more mischievous parts of the press are framing it as a dig at Tuchel when I think it is about pre-season being an after-thought given what else was going on at the club. Think the schedule was announced in April, by which point Clearlake were frontrunner, but none of us will ever know who is responsible for organising it. I'd be amazed if head coaches had much to do with it.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So in one short pres conference he managed to blame pre season, the amount of new players, the timing of his appointment, injuries, the World Cup, the age of the players and too many fixtures.

I know many say they don't pay attention to what is said in press conferences but that was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen from a manager.

He needs to go and he needs to go now.

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

How about taking some responsibility Mr Potter. £12m a year and you just sit there making excuses for turning us into relegation fodder.

I've never had any ill feelings towards the man, I've said many a time that I like him but watching that really pissed me off.

You went into that with this mindset I think Max , I heard the press conference and thought he articulated everything perfectly well and they are valid complaints whether we agree totally or not , here's a quote from Simon Johnson 

Potter reveals some of the experienced players told him it was the worst pre-season they have ever had with #CFC. (Tuchel was in charge then).

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You went into that with this mindset I think Max , I heard the press conference and thought he articulated everything perfectly well and they are valid complaints whether we agree totally or not , here's a quote from Simon Johnson 

Potter reveals some of the experienced players told him it was the worst pre-season they have ever had with #CFC. (Tuchel was in charge then).

Not at all Mark. He's very articulate in general but I don't want to hear any manager making excuses. Ever. It's his job to sort out the mess he's created not blame it on everything else.

The pre season was a disaster, we all know that but it's nearly March FFS and we are in relegation form. Nothing he complained about is a valid excuse for this...

Screenshot_2023-02-24-15-22-09-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by martin1905

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Our results fell off a cliff when James and Chilwell got crocked. Much as it did for Tuchel last season. Add in the other (up to) 9 players out and it is reasonable to say, for the 3rd time today, that the injuries were a contributing factor to us not winning games. 

I mean, I can find the results and data from last season and compare it to this season but it really is night and day, even without James and Chilwell. I just don't think it's serious to compare the results from last season to the results to this season.

Again - say Potter needs time, and sure injuries have been a contributing factor, but we should be able to win games at Chelsea whoever we put out. That was the winning mentality we had last season and we already seem to have forgotten.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think the other factor is what was said by Frank Lebeouf the other day and that I linked somewhere here previously. Apart from the club captain there are no leaders at the club. That even includes Thiago Silva who leads by example but who is quiet in the changing room. We need to start thinking about signing players with character as well as skill. If they have a banjo that is a bonus.

• Haha 2

Personally I quite liked the way Potter has come out for this press conference. He's clearly been told he needs to show more energy and personality and if he needs to learn that on the job then fair enough. 

But don't tell me previously how he was in press conferences didn't matter or was somehow acceptable. He has lost a lot of support through his post-match soundbites.

However - there does look to be just a glint of fear in his eyes, for the first time. He has looked surprisingly stoic throughout his tenure (to his credit). 

Now he has a bit of a look of Lampard in his eyes - rabbit in the headlights springs to mind.

Pre season...deliberate focus or implication on TT rather than the shambolic scheduling but am I remembering correctly?...seem to remember the squad was bit of a mix'n'match hodgepodge?

Not defending ,agreeing or disagreeing..genuine questions.

Wow, and I just heard the comment about pre-season. What an excuse - one of the worst pre-seasons ever? He quickly realised he'd made a big mistake on that one.

He does look like a dead man walking I'm afraid. He knows he won't be able to turn this around and he's a couple of bad results away from being given the chop.

Can't help but feel a bit sorry for him!!

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Nothing he complained about is a valid excuse for this...

What is the relevance of "14" games? Is it just to provide convenient stats to "prove" a theory? I'm guessing that if you extended it back to the last 38 games we'd be in a similar position as the wheels were coming off before Potter was appointed. Does that excuse the current form? No, of course not, however I tend to believe it is indicative of a chronic malaise within the club that doesn't just restrict itself to matchday form and more than likely stems from a lack of mettle within the individual players.

• Like 1

Just now, chara said:

Pre season...deliberate focus or implication on TT rather than the shambolic scheduling but am I remembering correctly?...seem to remember the squad was bit of a mix'n'match hodgepodge?

Not defending ,agreeing or disagreeing..genuine questions.

I don't believe Potter was blaming Tuchel , more alluding to the amount of travelling and nature of the pre-season as mentioned to him by the players , the Journo tagged the strapline ( under Tuchel ) out of mischievousness I believe.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't believe Potter was blaming Tuchel , more alluding to the amount of travelling and nature of the pre-season as mentioned to him by the players , the Journo tagged the strapline ( under Tuchel ) out of mischievousness I believe.

That was how I saw it but as ever as you so rightly say... the media "mischief"

7 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean, I can find the results and data from last season and compare it to this season but it really is night and day, even without James and Chilwell. I just don't think it's serious to compare the results from last season to the results to this season.

Potter's record for us so far is W 10, D 7, L 9.

Tuchel's in his last 26 matches (for comparison and as we were injury-addled for much of them, including James and Chilwell) is W 15, D 5, L 7. Not brilliant and felt that way at the time, but this season has really shown us that there are levels to "falling off a cliff". Last season was, with hindsight, more falling down some steps by comparison.

I have to say this press conference is fascinating viewing.

Absolutely fascinating.

I think he really looks broken this time - for the first time I think he looks really broken. 

I really can't help but feel sorry for him.

Nobody wanted it to come to this but I am afraid it has.

It's nearly time to be saying goodbye Graham.