Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

Just now, Max Fowler said:

I have to say this press conference is fascinating viewing.

Absolutely fascinating.

I think he really looks broken this time - for the first time I think he looks really broken. 

I really can't help but feel sorry for him.

Nobody wanted it to come to this but I am afraid it has.

It's nearly time to be saying goodbye Graham. 

It's funny what we take from things as individuals , I wanted him out by Sunday morning last week , but now having watched this I have warmed to him somewhat . 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's funny what we take from things as individuals , I wanted him out by Sunday morning last week , but now having watched this I have warmed to him somewhat . 

In a way I am warming to him too in this press conference.

I feel less angry about it than Martin.

That doesn't mean he doesn't look and sound like a broken man.

For the first time I can remember he looks truly broken.

Edited by Max Fowler

Let me read into what I just saw in that press conference.

Graham Potter has been a man in absolute comfort of his job for the last few months. Despite the pressure he mentions, the board were absolutely firmly behind him and he felt the faith to be in it for the long haul.

Now - he and the board have come to realise the expectations of this fanbase and how quickly it is turning against him. He can excuse results as Brighton manager but just needs to get them as our boss.

It is showing on his face and he is seriously feeling the pressure like you would not believe.

"Definitely here until the end of the season"? You must be joking.

It's not a case of warming to him..that's fine..credit to decent folk on here,

We all warmed to Claudio and SFL...no animosity or dislike,,,

For 12 million pounds I expect a man to do his job and be efficient doesn't matter is he's a p****ck in my eyes, on the media or at the bar,,it's his job we watch him for..not his dimples!

25 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

What is the relevance of "14" games? Is it just to provide convenient stats to "prove" a theory? I'm guessing that if you extended it back to the last 38 games we'd be in a similar position as the wheels were coming off before Potter was appointed. Does that excuse the current form? No, of course not, however I tend to believe it is indicative of a chronic malaise within the club that doesn't just restrict itself to matchday form and more than likely stems from a lack of mettle within the individual players.

There's no theory involved here it is what it is. We have won 2 in 14.

If you want to look back at the last 38 games under Tuchel we played 21 and averaged 1.90 points per game or 72 points a season, so top 4.

Under Potter played 17 and averaging 1.24 points per game or 47 points a season so pretty much 13th. 

Edited by martin1905

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He mentioned pressure on him and his family.
If he’s not removed because of more poor results and the toxic atmosphere at SB.
IMO he will walk at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

There's no theory involved here it is what it is. We have won 2 in 14.

If you want to look back at the last 38 games under Tuchel we played 21 and averaged 1.90 points per game or 72 points a season, so top 4.

Under Potter played 17 and averaging 1.24 points per game or 47 points a season so pretty much 13th. 

You can prove anything with facts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

First fixture 17th July in Las Vegas. Second fixture was 21st July in Charlotte, 2250 miles away. Next was the infamous Arsenal game, less than 48 hours later and in Florida, after another 500+ miles away. Then they flew back to Cobham, and then out again to Italy for the Udinese game 29th July. All on less than a week. The first PL fixture was the next weekend, 6th August. By this point, I think only Sterling and Koulibaly had come in, so the squad wasn't in great shape to train and bond.

It was an absolutely disastrous schedule, started too late and then crammed too many games across too far a distance into too few days. Recall a few here saying as much at the time, and Tuchel was vocal about how unhelpful it was for preparations. 

To what degree it has informed how the season has gone, idk. But I think Potter is right to comment on it, and that some more mischievous parts of the press are framing it as a dig at Tuchel when I think it is about pre-season being an after-thought given what else was going on at the club. Think the schedule was announced in April, by which point Clearlake were frontrunner, but none of us will ever know who is responsible for organising it. I'd be amazed if head coaches had much to do with it.

Well I get the distances, but having a hard time understanding how flight time/distances affect a team/squad playing under a manager already for approx. 2 years.

I mean, its not like Tuchel was testing out some new formation in pre-season and there were only 2 new players at that point to integrate. 

I get that the sports science people will talk about it from a conditioning aspect, but we're in late February at this point.

Pre-season really is about getting the squad fit, familiar with formations and integrating new players... the guys looked match fit IMO. And the formation remained Tuchel's usual. It just looked like they were underperforming/short of talent to me.

Potter used every excuse out there today. I understand that he's had a tough set of circumstances. But pre-season? Really? In February? 

23 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Well I get the distances, but having a hard time understanding how flight time/distances affect a team/squad playing under a manager already for approx. 2 years.

I mean, its not like Tuchel was testing out some new formation in pre-season and there were only 2 new players at that point to integrate. 

I get that the sports science people will talk about it from a conditioning aspect, but we're in late February at this point.

Pre-season really is about getting the squad fit, familiar with formations and integrating new players... the guys looked match fit IMO. And the formation remained Tuchel's usual. It just looked like they were underperforming/short of talent to me.

Potter used every excuse out there today. I understand that he's had a tough set of circumstances. But pre-season? Really? In February? 

For the first time Trini, I completely agree with everything you just said.

I almost felt slightly sorry for him today, and this opinion next may be clouded by some wishful thinking on my part..................but he looked to me like a bloke who really didn't want to be where he was at that moment in time. 

Coupled with comments reference his family - looks to me like TB needs to act decisively and be kind to the bloke and let him go.

Watched most of the press conference. My overriding thought is "what would the players make of it?", and especially the more senior and successful ones. I can't see that it's all that helpful for mentality to hear your coach list what amount to (intention or otherwise) excuses for why performances and results have even so rubbish. Certainly in my own management experience I'd be setting out context and mitigating factors when accounting to my seniors about team performance, but not having the same conversation with or in earshot of the team. Can't help but think it sends the message "this is okay and you aren't accountable, you don't have to do anything to fix it".

34 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Watched most of the press conference. My overriding thought is "what would the players make of it?", and especially the more senior and successful ones. I can't see that it's all that helpful for mentality to hear your coach list what amount to (intention or otherwise) excuses for why performances and results have even so rubbish. Certainly in my own management experience I'd be setting out context and mitigating factors when accounting to my seniors about team performance, but not having the same conversation with or in earshot of the team. Can't help but think it sends the message "this is okay and you aren't accountable, you don't have to do anything to fix it".

I think this has been a problem for a while. I have to say today I felt sorry for him. I feel like he was desperately trying to say something to appease the fans having realised how make or break it has become. I hated the excuses as well though. Blaming this on pre-season is ludicrous.

Ultimately this should end sooner rather than later because Potter is a good guy and a really good coach. Noone wants to see him squirm like that and feel horrible. But this is Boehly's doing because he should be out of the door already.

OK.."Devils Advocate".... Todd and Co made a good decision as things stood when they appointed GP...not my choice but not my bank account.

According to "Popular Wisdom" and the all knowing Media GP was the next coming coach in the UK and given the situation at SB it looked the way to go.

With great approval from the PW/Media interests I might add.

Compare the Silva transfer...absolute genius of a decision but how wrong/short term it could have turned out. (Different Admin but same principle).

All decisions come with risks but GP seemed an easy one.

FOR WHATEVER WELL DOCUMENTED REASONS AND THEORIES it becomes clearer by the match that an error has been made. 

Maybe GP made an error thinking he was ready to move up to a more demanding position?

Maybe Todd and CO made an error in awarding such a long term contract?

The questions are many.

Bottom line is despite no pressure..or so we are assured...on GP from the board results have been a disaster with no progress or improvement clear in the near future...long term is exactly that ...long and possibly too late..it's that bad now.

Continue with GP until a suitable replacement is found and signed up?...meanwhile the downward spiral continues.?

Get rid now and hope incumbent personnel can at least steady the boat?

I don't have the answers of course..I do have all the questions as do we all here.

In the Real World six months of under achievement or job failure with no sign of improvement gets you out the door.

However reluctantly most here recognised that SFL wasn't up to the Chelsea job.

GP with far less success than SFL's first season is being given time?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chara said:

OK.."Devils Advocate".... Todd and Co made a good decision as things stood when they appointed GP...not my choice but not my bank account.

According to "Popular Wisdom" and the all knowing Media GP was the next coming coach in the UK and given the situation at SB it looked the way to go.

With great approval from the PW/Media interests I might add.

Compare the Silva transfer...absolute genius of a decision but how wrong/short term it could have turned out. (Different Admin but same principle).

All decisions come with risks but GP seemed an easy one.

FOR WHATEVER WELL DOCUMENTED REASONS AND THEORIES it becomes clearer by the match that an error has been made. 

Maybe GP made an error thinking he was ready to move up to a more demanding position?

Maybe Todd and CO made an error in awarding such a long term contract?

The questions are many.

Bottom line is despite no pressure..or so we are assured...on GP from the board results have been a disaster with no progress or improvement clear in the near future...long term is exactly that ...long and possibly too late..it's that bad now.

Continue with GP until a suitable replacement is found and signed up?...meanwhile the downward spiral continues.?

Get rid now and hope incumbent personnel can at least steady the boat?

I don't have the answers of course..I do have all the questions as do we all here.

In the Real World six months of under achievement or job failure with no sign of improvement gets you out the door.

However reluctantly most here recognised that SFL wasn't up to the Chelsea job.

GP with far less success than SFL's first season is being given time?

Many questions, one answer, in terms of what to do .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, east lower said:

I almost felt slightly sorry for him today, and this opinion next may be clouded by some wishful thinking on my part..................but he looked to me like a bloke who really didn't want to be where he was at that moment in time. 

Coupled with comments reference his family - looks to me like TB needs to act decisively and be kind to the bloke and let him go.

I almost feel bad that I don't feel sorry for him, I was watching it and he made me rage, could not believe the shit he was coming out with. This coming from someone that although I've been wanting him gone for a while still quite like him, he's a likeable guy after all.

The family thing wasn't great, neither was talking about his own mental health and, coming from someone that has suffered a lot from that respect, I am in no way belittling any issues with mental health, just don't think it's great to hear a premier league manager talk about it, especially in the context of his press conference.

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I almost feel bad that I don't feel sorry for him, I was watching it and he made me rage, could not believe the shit he was coming out with. This coming from someone that although I've been wanting him gone for a while still quite like him, he's a likeable guy after all.

The family thing wasn't great, neither was talking about his own mental health and, coming from someone that has suffered a lot from that respect, I am in no way belittling any issues with mental health, just don't think it's great to hear a premier league manager talk about it, especially in the context of his press conference.

This and the previous reply to me....

Absolutely...Mrs C would worry about my work related issues but the pay check would go a long long way to helping her cope!

Don't tell us what we know, don't ask working stiffs and retired fixed income OG's to sympathise with your work struggles, don't make excuses..

Do the job or get off the pot..(which is getting fuller all the time!)

Those who can,,DO,,,those that can't ..WINGE.

25 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

One word summed up most of that interview, and not am I belittling anyone who truly is suffering mentally - WEAK

Cut-throat business is professional football, where the strong survive and prosper.

Elite people with elite mentality’s lead elite teams. Did our coach show that quality today, or at all in the last 6 months.

I’d guess the players know the answers and know what’s coming.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Compare the Silva transfer...absolute genius of a decision

Am I allowed to credit SFL for that?  And for making MM look like he was going to conquer the world.

I'm not advocating Frank comes back but it wasn't all bad.

• Agree 2